Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 13, 13, 8:28 am

A total newbie to these shores and this question may have been asked before. I've tried to search for it on this forum, however I got a bit overwhelmed by the amount of info that is out here.

The coming week I'll be flying out from AMS to JFK, with connecting flight in LHR. 3 of these flights will be operated by BA, but were booked under AA. The return flight from JFK to LHR will be AA, the last bit LHR - AMS is operated by BA, so where exactly do I check in?

Also, AA hand baggage limitations are smaller in comparison to what BA offers. Outbound flights won't be a problem as my carry-on falls well within the BA limits (56cm x 45cm x 25cm / 22in x 18in x 10in), but on the return it will be AA. My suitcase measurement is 58 x 38 x 20 / 23 x 15 x 8, will this be a problem?
Old Jun 13, 13, 8:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The general rule is to check in at the counters of the operating airline (if you are flying an AA codeshare operated by BA, check in with BA). On your return, you will likely have a BA boarding pass issued to you when you check in at JFK's American Airlines counter, proceed through the Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 (I have not checked your BA flight to AMS departs T-5, and some BA flights actually use other terminals at LHR) Flight Connections - you may even be issued a new boarding pass in that process.

As to carryon, it is my experience AA's allowance is significantly more generous than BA's. If your carryon bags meet BA's rules it should meet AA's - but it's wise to check always. You can check AA's baggage rules here.

Originally Posted by Lapin33 View Post
A total newbie to these shores and this question may have been asked before. I've tried to search for it on this forum, however I got a bit overwhelmed by the amount of info that is out here.

The coming week I'll be flying out from AMS to JFK, with connecting flight in LHR. 3 of these flights will be operated by BA, but were booked under AA. The return flight from JFK to LHR will be AA, the last bit LHR - AMS is operated by BA, so where exactly do I check in?

Also, AA hand baggage limitations are smaller in comparison to what BA offers. Outbound flights won't be a problem as my carry-on falls well within the BA limits (56cm x 45cm x 25cm / 22in x 18in x 10in), but on the return it will be AA. My suitcase measurement is 58 x 38 x 20 / 23 x 15 x 8, will this be a problem?
Old Jun 13, 13, 10:12 am

Thanks for the quick reply! Ok, that makes more sense. I'll need to remember to check in with AA on the return.

I checked again, and in this case BA allows a marginally bigger carry on, according to the link you've provided AA only allows "No larger than 22 in/56 cm long, 14 in/36 cm wide and 9 in/23 cm high." whereas BA allows 56cm x 45cm x 25cm (22in x 18in x 10in). This is where my confusion stems from.

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

The general rule is to check in at the counters of the operating airline (if you are flying an AA codeshare operated by BA, check in with BA). On your return, you will likely have a BA boarding pass issued to you when you check in at JFK's American Airlines counter, proceed through the Terminal 3 to Terminal 5 (I have not checked your BA flight to AMS departs T-5, and some BA flights actually use other terminals at LHR) Flight Connections - you may even be issued a new boarding pass in that process.

As to carryon, it is my experience AA's allowance is significantly more generous than BA's. If your carryon bags meet BA's rules it should meet AA's - but it's wise to check always. You can check AA's baggage rules here.
Old Jun 13, 13, 11:10 am

Programs: Former-AA-EXP for many years-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
MCE on 763 vs. Bulkhead row 20

It's been a long time since I was in coach on the 763 fortunately but I think that may be in the cards in the next two weeks. I haven't been in the MCE mini cabin. I'm trying to choose between a window there (I don't like windows) or an aisle in row 20 (bulkhead). I'm wondering if someone who knows that plane well can give me some advice please.... I can get over the window thing if it's a big difference in leg room / comfort. Thanks!
Old Jun 13, 13, 11:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Originally Posted by goldengate View Post
It's been a long time since I was in coach on the 763 fortunately but I think that may be in the cards in the next two weeks. I haven't been in the MCE mini cabin. I'm trying to choose between a window there (I don't like windows) or an aisle in row 20 (bulkhead). I'm wondering if someone who knows that plane well can give me some advice please.... I can get over the window thing if it's a big difference in leg room / comfort. Thanks!
The row 20 bulkhead may be one of the worst seats ever created. I would take a standard pitch seat over that. I also much prefer aisles to windows, but I'd take the MCE window in this case.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13, 13, 11:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by goldengate View Post
General consensus is that row 21 (not sure about 20) has more legroom than 12 and 13 in MCE, but the exit rows are freezing cold. So the big difference in comfort depends on your level of temperature tolerance. Row 11, on the other hand, has a ton more legrooom than the exit rows, but they are blocked until T-24ish. More discussion here; photos even:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Jun 13, 13, 11:53 am

Programs: Former-AA-EXP for many years-CK 2.5mm, now lifetime Platinum, ex-UA1K, Marriott- Platinum, Hertz 5*
Thanks, both! Based on your advice and reading that entire thread, I switched to the MCE window.
Old Jun 14, 13, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, AA, WN
Mileage award reqs

OK this may be the dumbest question I've asked in a while but I wanted to confirm that I've been rather stupid about this. For Award with partner arilines what is listed on the chart (http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp)
is for ONE WAY travel.
If I want to go to Europe and take Iberia (IB) on business class it would 50K to europe from North America and then another 50K miles to return from North America. Right? I thought it was only 50K roundtrip, which I believe I was incorrect about

TL;DR
So USA to Europe on partners business roundtrip is 100K miles? not 50k like I idiotically believed?
Old Jun 14, 13, 9:09 am
uxb

Programs: AS (MVPG), BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (1,53MM), WN
I have a question in re: SWU. If I buy a r/t on AA metal via BA.com (JFK-LHR-JFK), would I then be able to apply my SWU for those flights?
Old Jun 14, 13, 9:40 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Originally Posted by uxb View Post
I have a question in re: SWU. If I buy a r/t on AA metal via BA.com (JFK-LHR-JFK), would I then be able to apply my SWU for those flights?
If it's AA metal and AA flight numbers, then yes. The "where you bought it" part doesn't matter as long as it's both operated and marketed by AA.

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 13, 10:06 am
uxb

Originally Posted by brp View Post
If it's AA metal and AA flight numbers, then yes. The "where you bought it" part doesn't matter as long as it's both operated and marketed by AA.

Cheers.
Thanks for the info. BA numbers show on the BA.com page for all flights whether on AA metal or not. However, at the end of this process I can get the AA record locator from BA. Why not book at AA.com? Burning a BA voucher.
Old Jun 14, 13, 10:30 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Sunburn644 View Post
TL;DR
So USA to Europe on partners business roundtrip is 100K miles? not 50k like I idiotically believed?
Unfortunately, you are correct. 100k for roundtrip in business.
Old Jun 14, 13, 10:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You will not be able to use a SWU if you are flying on a BA codeshare operated by AA, as far as I know. If you can buy the flight as an AA marketed and operated flight, as brp indicated, you can.

And Sunburn644, you are correct - 50k miles one way (no off peak Business or First fare available, for instance,) US-Europe. The amount of 50k miles is valued, at most, to be approximately $1,500 (perhaps realistically $1,000), so it's not such a bad deal.

Originally Posted by uxb View Post
Thanks for the info. BA numbers show on the BA.com page for all flights whether on AA metal or not. However, at the end of this process I can get the AA record locator from BA. Why not book at AA.com? Burning a BA voucher.
Old Jun 14, 13, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Sunburn644
OK this may be the dumbest question I've asked in a while but I wanted to confirm that I've been rather stupid about this. For Award with partner arilines what is listed on the chart (http://www.aa.com/i18n/disclaimers/a...rtnerChart.jsp)
is for ONE WAY travel.
If I want to go to Europe and take Iberia (IB) on business class it would 50K to europe from North America and then another 50K miles to return from North America. Right? I thought it was only 50K roundtrip, which I believe I was incorrect about

TL;DR
Yes, you are correct: it's 50K miles each way in Business using AA's one-way awards. However, depending on where you are starting from in the U.S. (and where you are going in Europe), you might be able to get the roundtrip for 90K miles -- or even 80K miles -- by using a distance-based Explorer award, which requires that you use at least two of AA's oneworld partners.
Old Jun 14, 13, 11:56 am
uxb

Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
You will not be able to use a SWU if you are flying on a BA codeshare operated by AA, as far as I know. If you can buy the flight as an AA marketed and operated flight, as brp indicated, you can.

And Sunburn644, you are correct - 50k miles one way (no off peak Business or First fare available, for instance,) US-Europe. The amount of 50k miles is valued, at most, to be approximately $1,500 (perhaps realistically $1,000), so it's not such a bad deal.
I'm guessing buying the AA marketed flight is not possible on BA.com, eh?

Search this Thread