Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Jun 1, 13, 2:31 pm

checked baggage question

I should get a free checked bag with my Citi Advantage card, will this work at self check in or do i need to check in at the counter
Old Jun 1, 13, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

But whether you book FCO-ORD as an AAnytime or as a MileSAAver award, don't forget about AA's free "gateway" stopover option: For the cost of FCO-ORD alone, your daughter can get FCO-ORD (lengthy stopover) - XXX, where XXX can be another North American destination, including those in Hawaii, the Caribbean, Mexico, etc. (All travel on the award must be completed within one year of ticketing date.)
I do remember hearing about this but would never have remembered to apply it in this situation. THANK YOU.
It's doubtful that my daughter would be using that extra leg, but is it possible to make changes (name, date, destination) to it after it's booked? I'm assuming fees would apply. Also, do I need to call for that kind of booking? I don't recall seeing where I could specify my stopover on the website.

Unless you have reason to believe that AA's FCO-ORD flight is on the verge of selling out, you don't need to book the flight now as an AAnytime award, as these awards are not capacity controlled.
There are still just over 20 regular economy seats left so I'll give it another week or so. I don't want to cancel the UA flight until I book this one though.

Thank you again, Guv. You are always helpful, and I really appreciate it.
Old Jun 1, 13, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Rene23

But whether you book FCO-ORD as an AAnytime or as a MileSAAver award, don't forget about AA's free "gateway" stopover option: For the cost of FCO-ORD alone, your daughter can get FCO-ORD (lengthy stopover) - XXX, where XXX can be another North American destination, including those in Hawaii, the Caribbean, Mexico, etc. (All travel on the award must be completed within one year of ticketing date.)
I do remember hearing about this but would never have remembered to apply it in this situation. THANK YOU.
It's doubtful that my daughter would be using that extra leg, but is it possible to make changes (name, date, destination) to it after it's booked? I'm assuming fees would apply. Also, do I need to call for that kind of booking? I don't recall seeing where I could specify my stopover on the website.

Unless you have reason to believe that AA's FCO-ORD flight is on the verge of selling out, you don't need to book the flight now as an AAnytime award, as these awards are not capacity controlled.
There are still just over 20 regular economy seats left so I'll give it another week or so. I don't want to cancel the UA flight until I book this one though.

Thank you again, Guv. You are always helpful, and I really appreciate it.
My pleasure.

Name changes are not permitted on award tickets. Date and time changes are free, as long as there is award space on the new flights. I think that there's some disagreement about whether the destination can be changed after the first flight has been flown, but if a destination change were permitted, the $150 fee would apply.

To book the free stopover online, you need to use the more complex booking engine at aa.com. Click on the "Plan Travel" tab on the home page, and you should get to a booking engine that lets you book a multi-city award.

If there's any possibility your daughter could use the free, post-stopover one-way, it should only cost a very few extra dollars to book it.
Old Jun 1, 13, 5:05 pm

My pleasure.

Name changes are not permitted on award tickets. Date and time changes are free, as long as there is award space on the new flights. I think that there's some disagreement about whether the destination can be changed after the first flight has been flown, but if a destination change were permitted, the $150 fee would apply.

To book the free stopover online, you need to use the more complex booking engine at aa.com. Click on the "Plan Travel" tab on the home page, and you should get to a booking engine that lets you book a multi-city award.

If there's any possibility your daughter could use the free, post-stopover one-way, it should only cost a very few extra dollars to book it.

You continue to be awesome, Guv.

And I will book the extra stopover for my daughter, but since she's starting a new job after the return from Italy, she won't have any vacation time for a while. Perhaps a long weekend trip would work though. I'm sure she'd be happy to work something out.
Old Jun 2, 13, 8:49 pm

Just a quick one for the fine posters in this thread:

If my wife flies a QAN route and uses my AA number will that earn miles? Or does the person flying also have to be the AA member?
Old Jun 2, 13, 9:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by prawn86 View Post
Just a quick one for the fine posters in this thread:

If my wife flies a QAN route and uses my AA number will that earn miles? Or does the person flying also have to be the AA member?
AA doesn't allow one person to earn miles for another. Since the names will not match, AA will not credit the miles. If your wife is an AA member, however, she can earn AA miles for herself on qualifying routes:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp
Old Jun 4, 13, 9:07 am

I just received a notification that my flight to ABQ in October has changed by over 3 hours in both directions. Is there a time limit on how long I can wait to accept the changes/try another routing/cancel? Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 13, 9:24 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd View Post
I just received a notification that my flight to ABQ in October has changed by over 3 hours in both directions. Is there a time limit on how long I can wait to accept the changes/try another routing/cancel? Thanks!
I don't know of a hard-and-fast time limit. But, if you do want to try a different routing, I would suggest doing that sooner, rather than later, as this will increase the odds of getting it. Go in guns blazing with the exact itinerary you want and that will increase the chances a lot.

For cancellation, I'm really not sure how long you can wait to pull that trigger.

Cheers.
Old Jun 5, 13, 3:38 am
Formerly known as cedricgerald

AA.com or AA.fr ?

I need to book 2 J tickets for non status PAX from CDG.
Is it better to book them on AA.com or AA.fr ?
(one in USD and the other in Euro but about the same price at the end)
Old Jun 5, 13, 4:14 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA PLT, DL PLT,SPG, Priority Pass, Accor LeClub Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Other shiny cards
Originally Posted by cedricgerald View Post
AA.com or AA.fr ?

I need to book 2 J tickets for non status PAX from CDG.
Is it better to book them on AA.com or AA.fr ?
(one in USD and the other in Euro but about the same price at the end)
I always use AmericanAirlines.fr because in past experiences, my non-us, non-french credit card does not go through on AA.com.
Old Jun 5, 13, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
I always use AmericanAirlines.fr because in past experiences, my non-us, non-french credit card does not go through on AA.com.
Thank you. Do you see any other pro or con of one site vs the other ?
Maybe in case of IRROPS ?
For some reasons I had the feeling that aa.fr is not controlled / managed by AA but by a third party .
(I'm sending my parents so I want to be safe.)
I'll use a French visa or French amex and they're working well on aa.com
Old Jun 5, 13, 5:00 am

Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
By the way, "Navigo zone 1 - 5" is that the new super elite level past merger
Old Jun 5, 13, 8:47 am

Hey all -- first post on FlyerTalk!

Question about figuring out what milage I'll earn on AAdvantage when flying in BA's premium economy cabin. I'm an AAdvantage Platinum, meaning I usually do 100 % Qualifying miles and another 100% bonus. Since BA Premium Economy is T class... Does that mean I do 100% qualifying and 110% bonus?

Thanks
Old Jun 5, 13, 8:48 am

Programs: FT
checked a few pages after i posted this question but did not see a response...anyone?

Am I missing the thread about the roll out of the new J product to the existing 777 and 767 fleet? I am looking at planning a trip into Japan and out of Hong Kong. Trying to figure out if I book F instead of J on AA to either HND or NRT although if it was new J, that would more than suffice. AA says "We are introducing new fully lie-flat seats in First and Business Class beginning with the new Boeing 777-300ER and rolling out across our international dual-aisle aircraft throughout 2013." so i am trying to see what the roll out schedule is...

happy to book just J since I LOVE CX's J.
Old Jun 5, 13, 8:50 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by adudewhoflies View Post
Hey all -- first post on FlyerTalk!

Question about figuring out what milage I'll earn on AAdvantage when flying in BA's premium economy cabin. I'm an AAdvantage Platinum, meaning I usually do 100 % Qualifying miles and another 100% bonus. Since BA Premium Economy is T class... Does that mean I do 100% qualifying and 110% bonus?

Thanks
I think that is right...see here https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...es/british.jsp

Search this Thread