Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 11, 2013, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by drsh99
Thanks RogerD408. But, to clarify, what I'm trying to figure out is whether I will need to earn 50,000 miles this year to get Platinum status for next year or whether hitting Lifetime Gold during this year means I only have to earn 25,000 miles to get to Platinum since I will have Lifetime Gold.

I guess I need to confirm that once I have Lifetime Gold Status I only need to earn 25k miles to get Platinum status each year. Is that the case? Or will I still need to earn 50k miles per year to get PLT status?
No, having LT status does not change the miles needed for any of the status levels.
Old May 11, 2013, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by drsh99
Or will I still need to earn 50k miles per year to get PLT status?
Or you could just earn a million more BIS miles and be Lifetime Platinum, then you won't need 50 K each year

Cheers!
Old May 11, 2013, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Go Bears!
Originally Posted by CX828
Ok, Thanks hope mine has it. I think I read somewhere that the wifi logo only appears exactly 24hrs before departure time, so I guess there is still hope as flight is 17:00 tomorrow.
As JDiver pointed out, aircraft can be swapped at the last minute so even if your BP shows Wi-Fi you could still end up on a non-gogo equipped plane; this happened to me quite a lot in the early part of 2012.

This year my (anecdotal) experience has been much better (only 2 legs of 12 were misses and both were 757 a/c).
Old May 12, 2013, 1:31 am

Programs: AA, SPG, Hh, Amex MR, Marriott, ICH, VA, CC, LH
How many eVIPs - one or two?

Abu Dhabi - London - JFK - MIA

Thanks
Old May 12, 2013, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Flying Bat
Abu Dhabi - London - JFK - MIA

Thanks
That's three segments generally in the same direction, so one SWU should be sufficient. But since AA does not fly AUH-LHR (that I'm aware of, anyway), LHR-JFK-MIA will definitely be covered by one SWU.
Old May 12, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Earning status base miles on OTA-purchased Tix?

I'm looking at a SAN or LAX to TYO trip for my wife so she can get plat status on AA recent "Instant plat (or gold)" offer. For certain reasons, the ticket can't be purchase on AA.com. I can find a California-Japan-DFW-California routing that can be ticketed with a JL codeshare (AA ticket but JL metal) in one direction. Miles exceed 12,500. Fare basis is "Q" (deep discount economy)

AA's earning chart says, "Travel on American Airlines and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership." The chart for AA says 100% for elite status qualifying base miles. The chart for JL says 30%.

OTA-purchased tickets matching AA prices typically are AA-earning, correct?

I assume 100% base status miles for the AA-ticketed codeshare. Correct?

Last question, elite qualifying POINTS (not miles) only matter for premium ticket flyers, correct?

Last edited by Bowgie; May 12, 2013 at 4:41 pm
Old May 12, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
MPM versus routing based fare for award travel.

Hi all,

I have a question on which fare rules do award travel have to adhere to. I realize that ticketing my apply either routing-based fare or MPM-based fare depending on the published fares. Suppose for example that the the carrier publishes both the routing-based fare and MPM-based fare, which one applies to award redemption. Also, does the cabin redemption matter? For example, if the overwater carrier only display MPM-based fare in the specific cabin you are booking then would the award booking need only to abide by the MPM rules? Thanks in advance.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Or you could just earn a million more BIS miles and be Lifetime Platinum, then you won't need 50 K each year

Cheers!
Too funny--by the time I hit Lifetime Platinum at the rate I travel, I won't have much Lifetime left to enjoy it!

Thanks for the answer Roger--I also called the Platinum Elite help desk at AA and was told the same thing. So, I'll probably try to squeeze in one more work trip to East Africa this calendar year instead of early next calendar year to get Platinum for 2014. I really like having the Bus Lounge access and that's not a perk you get when you work for a nonprofit, as I do.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Flying an AA codeshare is like flying AA, insofar as AAdvantage miles earning is concerned, regardless of how and where the fare is purchased, as long as it is a published fare (read on).

Many "instant status" (90 day wonder) offers require POINTS and not miles to retain status.

Deep discount earns 0.5 EQP per base mile = ~6,250 points; discount at 1.0, 12,500 points; B, Y or higher, jackpot, ~18.750 points. See the chart here for AA coded flights, here for JL coded flights on oneworld airlines.

Originally Posted by Bowgie
I'm looking at a SAN or LAX to TYO trip for my wife so she can get plat status on AA recent "Instant plat (or gold)" offer. For certain reasons, the ticket can't be purchase on AA.com. I can find a California-Japan-DFW-California routing that can be ticketed with a JL codeshare (AA ticket but JL metal) in one direction. Miles exceed 12,500. Fare basis is "Q" (deep discount economy)

AA's earning chart says, "Travel on American Airlines and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership." The chart for AA says 100% for elite status qualifying base miles. The chart for JL says 30%.

OTA-purchased tickets matching AA prices typically are AA-earning, correct?

I assume 100% base status miles for the AA-ticketed codeshare. Correct?

Last question, elite qualifying POINTS (not miles) only matter for premium ticket flyers, correct?
Old May 13, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Admiral Club Access with BA Silver while flying US Domestic

I don't have AA status, but I am BA silver. While looking at AC definitions, it seems like I should have AC access while flying American inside the US.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks in Advance.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by vishalgupta22
I don't have AA status, but I am BA silver. While looking at AC definitions, it seems like I should have AC access while flying American inside the US.

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks in Advance.
Yes, by oneworld access rules, you have AC access as long as you have a departing oneworld flight on the same day. If arriving, you wouldn't have the access that a regular AC member would.
Old May 13, 2013, 1:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Platinum, SQ Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Yes, by oneworld access rules, you have AC access as long as you have a departing oneworld flight on the same day. If arriving, you wouldn't have the access that a regular AC member would.
Thank you for quick reply. Departing AC access is all I need.
Old May 13, 2013, 4:44 pm

Hey Guys, question for you. I have just over 100k AA miles. I'd like two business/first award tickets from SAN/LAX to CDG(Paris). Flying AA metal it's 50k/ticket one way. Are there cheaper/better options using a partner like BA?

Thanks,
WT
Old May 13, 2013, 4:54 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by WaterTree
Are there cheaper/better options using a partner like BA?
In terms of award miles needed to fly, no. About the only reduction you'll see is for off-peak coach travel which would be 40K RT instead of 60K RT. With 100K, you have enough for two of those. That season runs Oct 15-May 15. If you don't want to fly in coach you'd have enough for one round-trip in business or two one-ways.

The big risk in using BA for award travel are their fuel surcharges which will run a couple hundred dollars across the Atlantic on a business class award. You want to stay on AA metal or with other partners that have a lower fuel surcharge (IB) or none at all (Air Berlin is one). If you have to book BA, the fuel surcharges would be much less from LHR to CDG than with a trans-Atlantic flight.
Old May 13, 2013, 5:27 pm

Can American Airlines credit cards still be churned?

It has been three years since I have had a AA cc. If I signed up for one, would I get the 40,000 mile bonus or is that now once per lifetime?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.