Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 10, 2013, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Alex Poulos
I have close to 90,000 AA miles but my last activity was on March 2012 do these expire and if so whats the easiest way to make them not expire. Is there anywhere I can get a few AA miles for free instead of paying 30$ for 1k ?
Thanks

alex
Originally Posted by fromfall98
Yes, they will expire if there is no activity in next 4 months. You could rent a car or get a hotel room for a day and that would add some miles to your account.

Cheers!
Either a car or hotel will likely cost more than buying miles, unless he was needing the car/hotel anyway.

There's a long thread of ideas on how to generate some activity in the account. 4 months is plenty of time for most of the options. I think the easiest is to register a credit card with AA Dining, then go to a nearby participating restaurant (if you have one) and have lunch. The last few pages of the thread also mention a couple of free ways (e-rewards signup bonus; bonus for AA newsletter) that may work for you.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old May 10, 2013, 5:12 pm

Thanks Guys - signing up for dining now.
Old May 10, 2013, 5:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Gah - where is that list of AA promo codes?!

Have waded through the stickies and threads and searched and cannot for the life of me find the list of promo codes I know I saw here...

Anyone want to take pity and point me to it, pls?
Old May 10, 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Have waded through the stickies and threads and searched and cannot for the life of me find the list of promo codes I know I saw here...

Anyone want to take pity and point me to it, pls?
It was removed at AA's request
Old May 10, 2013, 6:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by _kurt
It was removed at AA's request
That would explain why I can't find it then. 'ta.
Old May 10, 2013, 6:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by swag
The last few pages of the thread also mention a couple of free ways (e-rewards signup bonus; bonus for AA newsletter) that may work for you.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
There's also some ideas in the AA wiki:
Non-Air Mileage (AA)
Old May 11, 2013, 5:12 am

Programs: AA, DL
I would greatly appreciate some pointers regarding how to achieve the following goal. I'm trying to get 4 people scheduled for a one-way award from Central America to Hawaii with a stop-over (BZE - DFW (stop) - HNL/OGG).

The stopover will be about 3 months long, so I realize I need to find seats now, and then push out the second leg once space is available.

Milesaaver space just opened up for the BZE - DFW on the date I wanted (next April), so I put that on hold. I'm now trying to piece together the rest.

I have found 2 seats from DFW - SEA - OGG and 2 seats on DFW-PDX-OGG. My questions are as follows:

1. If I book 2 seats BZE - DFW (stop) - SEA - OGG and two BZE - DFW (stop) - PDX - OGG, could I move the DFW - OGG portion to be direct without charge if I find space available? - It appears the answer is yes, but confirmation would be appreciated.

2. The itinerary above is not pricing out at the milesaaver off-peak level (15k), just the milesaaver level (17.5k). Is it because part of the itinerary is on Alaska Air? Will I get a 2.5k refund later if I switch to all AA legs?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old May 11, 2013, 5:24 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Not all 737 have wifi?

I am flying on AA257 on Sunday May 12.... I can't see the wifi logo. Does this flight have wifi?
Old May 11, 2013, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by zeddy218
I would greatly appreciate some pointers regarding how to achieve the following goal. I'm trying to get 4 people scheduled for a one-way award from Central America to Hawaii with a stop-over (BZE - DFW (stop) - HNL/OGG).

The stopover will be about 3 months long, so I realize I need to find seats now, and then push out the second leg once space is available.

Milesaaver space just opened up for the BZE - DFW on the date I wanted (next April), so I put that on hold. I'm now trying to piece together the rest.

I have found 2 seats from DFW - SEA - OGG and 2 seats on DFW-PDX-OGG. My questions are as follows:

1. If I book 2 seats BZE - DFW (stop) - SEA - OGG and two BZE - DFW (stop) - PDX - OGG, could I move the DFW - OGG portion to be direct without charge if I find space available? - It appears the answer is yes, but confirmation would be appreciated.

2. The itinerary above is not pricing out at the milesaaver off-peak level (15k), just the milesaaver level (17.5k). Is it because part of the itinerary is on Alaska Air? Will I get a 2.5k refund later if I switch to all AA legs?

Thank you for your assistance.
There is no off-peak award offered between Central and North America on the Partner award chart. The off-peak award between those two zones is only offered on an all-AA-metal itinerary.

Because AS is not a oneworld member, American does not waive the redeposit/reclaim fee normally charged when switching from one award type (oneworld and Other Partners award) to another type (all-AA-metal award). So yes, you would be charged the fee if you were able to switch to AA's DFW-OGG nonstop down the road.

Bear in mind that all travel on an award must be completed within one year of award-ticket issuance, not one year from date of first flight. So if you book the award tickets today and the first flight is next April, you would not be able to get a three-month stopover at DFW, since all travel on the award would have to be completed by May 11, 2014.
Old May 11, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: AA, DL
Bear in mind that all travel on an award must be completed within one year of award-ticket issuance, not one year from date of first flight. So if you book the award tickets today and the first flight is next April, you would not be able to get a three-month stopover at DFW, since all travel on the award would have to be completed by May 11, 2014.
Thanks for the helpful information. I didn't realize the year was from ticket issuance, not from first flight. This will definitely change the game plan a bit.

Is there any way to keep my hold on the bze-dfw leg past the 5 day hold? If I really wanted those seats, could I ticket just that now, and once I am able to book the remainder, cancel the flight and book a new itinerary with the rest? I realize that would likely incur a cancellation fee. Any other strategies to employ?

Last edited by zeddy218; May 11, 2013 at 7:39 am
Old May 11, 2013, 9:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I'm not sure every 737 has been updated with Gogo yet. In any case, aircraft are switched around as needed by dispatch, so you may or may not have Gogo Wi-Fi on your flight.

Originally Posted by CX828
I am flying on AA257 on Sunday May 12.... I can't see the wifi logo. Does this flight have wifi?
Old May 11, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm not sure every 737 has been updated with Gogo yet. In any case, aircraft are switched around as needed by dispatch, so you may or may not have Gogo Wi-Fi on your flight.
Ok, Thanks hope mine has it. I think I read somewhere that the wifi logo only appears exactly 24hrs before departure time, so I guess there is still hope as flight is 17:00 tomorrow.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:06 am

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
Hitting Million Mile Gold Lifetime--how to get PLT status?

Hello FF friends,
I'll hit my first million miles this fall after flying about 35,000 miles since January 1. So, that will give me lifetime Gold status. My question is whether all of the 35,000 miles will count toward Platinum status, or if only 10,000 miles will count toward Platinum status. If I were not going to hit Gold via the million miler award, then only the 10,000 beyond yearly Gold would go toward Platinum.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 11, 2013, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by drsh99
Hello FF friends,
I'll hit my first million miles this fall after flying about 35,000 miles since January 1. So, that will give me lifetime Gold status. My question is whether all of the 35,000 miles will count toward Platinum status, or if only 10,000 miles will count toward Platinum status. If I were not going to hit Gold via the million miler award, then only the 10,000 beyond yearly Gold would go toward Platinum.
Thanks in advance!
One thing about AA is they have so many numbers to track, it can throw you, if you think too much about them (BIS, EQM, EQP, EQS, RDM, MM, and I'm sure I missed a few). But to answer your question, your 35,000 BIS miles will count towards your MM status and your elite status regardless of hitting LTGold.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:40 am

Programs: AA, United, Iberia, US Airways
Thanks RogerD408. But, to clarify, what I'm trying to figure out is whether I will need to earn 50,000 miles this year to get Platinum status for next year or whether hitting Lifetime Gold during this year means I only have to earn 25,000 miles to get to Platinum since I will have Lifetime Gold.

I guess I need to confirm that once I have Lifetime Gold Status I only need to earn 25k miles to get Platinum status each year. Is that the case? Or will I still need to earn 50k miles per year to get PLT status?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.