Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 7, 2013, 2:57 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by apodo77
How is it possible for gate agents not to know Ciit AA Platinum cardholders get the first checked bag free for the cardholder?
Hasn't this been a benefit for over a year now?

Wife was charged for her and her companion (they were on the same PNR) at PDX and again on the return from MSY even after she showed the GA's the CC and she is the primary cardholder as well.

Wonder how many people this happens to. She is not an experienced traveler and wasn't even going to say anything but I saw the receipts and asked what they were for.
No excuse, but I'd guess that the gate agents don't deal with a lot of checked bags and Citi cards, so it may just be something that they don't see enough to be aware.

Now, the ticket agents at the front should be more well-versed in this, and that really is not acceptable if they mess up.

Were they at Jazz Fest, by any chance?

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2013, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by brp
No excuse, but I'd guess that the gate agents don't deal with a lot of checked bags and Citi cards, so it may just be something that they don't see enough to be aware.

Now, the ticket agents at the front should be more well-versed in this, and that really is not acceptable if they mess up.

Were they at Jazz Fest, by any chance?

Cheers.
Doh. Ticket agent indeed. They were at Jazzfest. We've been the last few years but sadly I was not able to attend this year. Highly recommend to anyone who has not been before.

She showed the card to the ticket agent at both airports and all they did was take it and charge the card. She knew it was wrong but didn't want to argue with the ladies.
Old May 7, 2013, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA, UA
How soon does the elite status kick in?

I am currently sitting at 24800 EQMs, and have 3 segments lining up: BCN-LHR, LHR-HKG then HKG-SYD, all immediate connections with the first two segments on the same day.

Will the AA's system recognise me as gold after I fly the BCN-LHR segment, and give me 25% bonus RDMs for LHR-HKG-SYD, even though they are on the same day (all different flight numbers)?

Not much a stake - just around 2500 RDMs. I am just curious to know how the system works.

Thanks for any advice and comments.
Old May 8, 2013, 12:14 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, United Silver, Garuda Silver, Delta Silver
Can you cancel the first part of an award ticket?

Here is the situation. I am going to fly to BKK and would prefer to fly ORD>HKG>BKK in F on Cathay.

However the only availability I can find is out of YVR. If I absolutely have to, I will fly out of YVR. BUT, I'm wondering if I can/should tack on an ORD>YVR segment now(actually ORD>XXX>XXX>XXX>YVR milesaver) with no intention of actually doing it.

My reasoning is that I need ORD to be my departure city if I am going to change the flights later to ORD>HKG>BKK when/if space opens up.

If space never opens then I will just pay to fly direct to YVR and take the YVR>HKG>BKK. Can I call a few days before and cancel the first leg (the absurd saver routing from ORD---YVR)?
Old May 8, 2013, 1:30 am

Programs: AA 2 Million Miler
Reaching 2 Million Miles and LTP

Hi all,

I'm currently sitting at 1.832 in my MM tally. I love the benefit of LT Gold, but would really, really want to hit LT PLT. I am kicking myself for not being more aggressive in my point accumulation before Dec 2011....but cest la vie. I did pay for the Citi World Elite card in 2012 and accumulated ~100k miles in LT contribution, FWIW.

My travel pattern has me flying roughly 30k miles/year, and I don't see that changing in the near future. So my questions to this esteemed forum are:

1. With the impending merger, do I stand any hope in hell of ever reaching LT PLT (or the equivalent)?

2. If not, should I just accept that LT Gold is the best I will do, cut bait and focus on a new program?

3. Are there any new / pending new opportunities to earn MM miles outside of BIS miles that I might not be aware of?

Appreciate your thoughts!
Old May 8, 2013, 2:05 am

Originally Posted by zilliontw
I am currently sitting at 24800 EQMs, and have 3 segments lining up: BCN-LHR, LHR-HKG then HKG-SYD, all immediate connections with the first two segments on the same day.

Will the AA's system recognise me as gold after I fly the BCN-LHR segment, and give me 25% bonus RDMs for LHR-HKG-SYD, even though they are on the same day (all different flight numbers)?

Not much a stake - just around 2500 RDMs. I am just curious to know how the system works.

Thanks for any advice and comments.
After you fly BCN-LHR, you will indeed be Gold. The systems will not be updated in time for you to be able to apply those GLD benefits on LHR-HKG-SYD (the miles will not post in time). However, when the miles do post, the system will recognize that you crossed the GLD threshold on your BCN-LHR flight and give you the 25% bonus RDMs for any flight thereafter (until you reach a higher status).
Old May 8, 2013, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by Flyer Sean
Can you cancel the first part of an award ticket?

Here is the situation. I am going to fly to BKK and would prefer to fly ORD>HKG>BKK in F on Cathay.

However the only availability I can find is out of YVR. If I absolutely have to, I will fly out of YVR. BUT, I'm wondering if I can/should tack on an ORD>YVR segment now(actually ORD>XXX>XXX>XXX>YVR milesaver) with no intention of actually doing it.

My reasoning is that I need ORD to be my departure city if I am going to change the flights later to ORD>HKG>BKK when/if space opens up.

If space never opens then I will just pay to fly direct to YVR and take the YVR>HKG>BKK. Can I call a few days before and cancel the first leg (the absurd saver routing from ORD---YVR)?
You may change or drop the first leg of an award. See this thread here, especially guv1976's posts 5 and 10.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rd-flight.html

However, the problem I see is that if you have ORD-XXX-XXX-XXX-YVR--, the first segment would then be ORD-XXX. I don't think you'd be allowed to drop the first 4 segments of an award, even if they are just connecting flights. Others will surely correct me if I am wrong.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: BA EC Peasant, AAdvantage Platinum
500 mile upgrades

Are you able to use 500 Mile upgrades on AA flights booked other than through AA?

I am thinking of booking an itinerary on BA which includes an AA connecting flight; if I were to do this, can I request upgrades, and if so, how would I do it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!
Old May 8, 2013, 9:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
It can't be done. AA upgrade instruments can only be used on AA marketed and operated flights.

Some BA and IB flights can be upgraded with AA miles, but only if they are in the most expensive fare classes. - e.g. Y or B to World Traveller Plus (Premium Economy), or W to Club World, or CW C, J, D or R to First (yes, only one class of service for an upgrade, and there are four classes of service including WT+). See here. Also in the FAQ with links to FT threads.

Originally Posted by blaknail
Are you able to use 500 Mile upgrades on AA flights booked other than through AA?

I am thinking of booking an itinerary on BA which includes an AA connecting flight; if I were to do this, can I request upgrades, and if so, how would I do it.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!
Old May 8, 2013, 9:28 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by apodo77
Doh. Ticket agent indeed. They were at Jazzfest. We've been the last few years but sadly I was not able to attend this year. Highly recommend to anyone who has not been before.

She showed the card to the ticket agent at both airports and all they did was take it and charge the card. She knew it was wrong but didn't want to argue with the ladies.
Well, then, that's just wrong. They're the main people who just have to know this. I would write to AA about this- factual and neutral tone. But let them know which airport, time of day, etc. They really have to know about this.

We go to Jazz Fest every year. We've been married 7 years and just went to our 8th Fest together this past weekend. It is a must do. Oh wait, it's really bad...no one should go. Stay away!!!

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2013, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by brp
Well, then, that's just wrong. They're the main people who just have to know this. I would write to AA about this- factual and neutral tone. But let them know which airport, time of day, etc. They really have to know about this.

We go to Jazz Fest every year. We've been married 7 years and just went to our 8th Fest together this past weekend. It is a must do. Oh wait, it's really bad...no one should go. Stay away!!!

Cheers.
OK got an update on this and AA will be absolved of any wrong doing although I wonder how many people have been hit by this.

The T&C are first checked bag free 7 days after the card is activated. The flight was purchased 6 days after the card was activated.

She is a newbie and apparently was not aware of this condition when applying for the card so shame on her I suppose.

Also I book AA occasionally and they always entice me for a $100 discount and apply for the card. Wonder how many do that, pay for the flight and expect to be getting free bags. Definitely on the consumer to read all the legalese but I am sure many are expecting free bag on the first flight.

As a goodwill gesture the AA representative comped my wifes account 3000 miles and it was neither expected or necessary once she realized she was in error.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt GLB
I am not sure where this question is best suited for, so I figure I will try in here first. I need to meet two people in DFW at the AC in about a month. My dilemma is that I only have an AMEX PLT, so I cannot access the club w/o a BP.

Can I buy an award ticket and then cancel it?
If so how far in advance do I need to cancel it?
Old May 8, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I am not sure where this question is best suited for, so I figure I will try in here first. I need to meet two people in DFW at the AC in about a month. My dilemma is that I only have an AMEX PLT, so I cannot access the club w/o a BP.

Can I buy an award ticket and then cancel it?
If so how far in advance do I need to cancel it?
Technically, you're not suppose to be air-side at any time without a valid BP, so I'd suggest picking a flight that departs well after you expect to be leaving air-side. I'm sure nothing will happen, but if, let's say there is an evacuation (heaven forbid) you'd probably want to return air-side to finish your meeting or see them off.

But to answer your question, I believe you should cancel the ticket (moments) prior to departure.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt GLB
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Technically, you're not suppose to be air-side at any time without a valid BP, so I'd suggest picking a flight that departs well after you expect to be leaving air-side. I'm sure nothing will happen, but if, let's say there is an evacuation (heaven forbid) you'd probably want to return air-side to finish your meeting or see them off.

But to answer your question, I believe you should cancel the ticket (moments) prior to departure.
I did find an award that departed well after I needed to leave, but I think I'm leaning towards going the refundable ticket route as described in this thread if it still works. That way I can just cancel online and not have to get anyone involved.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ut-ticket.html

It was initially supposed to just be one person, but the logistics got sticky...
Old May 9, 2013, 10:07 am

Programs: IHG Plat, AA EXP, HHonors GLD
eVIP and 500-mile upgrade

is it possible to use an eVIP on top of a free 500 mile upgrade when traveling 3 class domestic getting me from paid economy to 1st class?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.