Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 6, 2013, 10:31 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by msywings
Hello all! I've used FlyerTalk a lot in the past as a reader and this is my first question. Thank you all in advance.

My mom is flying from the U.S. to Asia on AA, tickets booked 2 months ago. She got the AA Citi Plat Visa card last week. Can you still enjoy the card benefits (Group 1 boarding and 1 free bag, etc) even though her tickets were not booked by the AA Citi card?

Thank you all in advance.
Welcome to FT!

Yes, absolutely. Once a person has the card, all benefits apply from that time onwards, regardless of when the ticket was booked / with which card it was paid.

Cheers!
Old May 6, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by CX828
Can I ask, if one has access to AA priority, is there a separate channel for security/US Pre-clearance at YYZ T3, or does everyone have to go in the same line?
I don't think there is any such thing at YYZ for flight to US.

Also Im not sure if anyone would know this, but when flying from YYZ and pre-clearing with checked baggage, how does it work? Do you get the baggage tag and then still bring the bag with you to the US customs area, or can the bag be checked at the check-in desks?
At YYZ, after you check-in, you carry your bags past immigration and customs. The agent would put the tags on your bags when you check-in.

Thanks for help, not sure if anyone is familiar with pre-clearance from Canada.
I am not familiar with pre-clearance from Canada, but don't think there is such a thing at YYZ for US flight.

Cheers!
Old May 6, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by fromfall98
I don't think there is any such thing at YYZ for flight to US.

At YYZ, after you check-in, you carry your bags past immigration and customs. The agent would put the tags on your bags when you check-in.

I am not familiar with pre-clearance from Canada, but don't think there is such a thing at YYZ for US flight.

Cheers!
OK, Well thanks for your help. I better bring a roller suitcase as I doubt trolleys will be allowed and I guess I'll join the regular line so need to arrive early.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:15 pm

OK, Well thanks for your help. I better bring a roller suitcase as I doubt trolleys will be allowed and I guess I'll join the regular line so need to arrive early.
Trolleys are indeed allowed. As such, the line for the counter starts few yards behind the check-in counters. Trolleys are allowed just before you enter secure airport entry (beyond security point). So, you can take them with you through immigration, customs and to bag drop-off conveyor belt.

Cheers!
Old May 6, 2013, 1:18 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAAdvantage, Delta Skymiles
Have I missed something here, or has the AA discount codes thread disappeared - I can't find any trace of it?

I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Sorry if it's a stupid question!
Old May 6, 2013, 1:44 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sludge82
Have I missed something here, or has the AA discount codes thread disappeared - I can't find any trace of it?

I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Sorry if it's a stupid question!
Unfortunately, you're not missing anything. Due to some legal reasons, that thread was deleted a few months back.
Old May 6, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus, AAAdvantage, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by JY1024
Unfortunately, you're not missing anything. Due to some legal reasons, that thread was deleted a few months back.
Thanks - that is the kinda conclusion I was coming to.

I guess I'll have to pay full price then
Old May 6, 2013, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98
Trolleys are indeed allowed. As such, the line for the counter starts few yards behind the check-in counters. Trolleys are allowed just before you enter secure airport entry (beyond security point). So, you can take them with you through immigration, customs and to bag drop-off conveyor belt.

Cheers!
Ok, Good to know. Thanks so much!
Old May 6, 2013, 6:30 pm

Domestic Wifi

Can I confirm that all 737-800 domestic flights have wifi?

aa.com says yes, but Flyertalk FAQ says only select 738 have it.

Also is the service reliable? I plan to purchase a 30min option for my ipod in order to do a check-in for another airline whilst in the air, so Im not planning to stream anything.
Old May 7, 2013, 6:45 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Aa award travel on ba

I just tried to post this on the award sticky and it seemed to disappear so I am trying again.

I am trying to burn some miles for a F award on BA and I am willing to pay the YQ. I was hoping to travel JFK-SFO-LHR-JFK. Would this be a legal routing? What about JFK-SFO-HNL-LHR-JFK? Does all travel have to be in the same direction? Could I lay over only in SFO or HNL but not both? Normally I'd expect to have 3 awards issued to travel to SFO, HNL, and LHR so if I can combine into just 1 or 2 awards I'd be happy. I am very flexible on dates and can do as one 2 week trip or split into multiple trips with a multi-week or multi-month "layover." Any assistance that can be provided would be appreciated.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
I just tried to post this on the award sticky and it seemed to disappear so I am trying again.

I am trying to burn some miles for a F award on BA and I am willing to pay the YQ. I was hoping to travel JFK-SFO-LHR-JFK. Would this be a legal routing? What about JFK-SFO-HNL-LHR-JFK? Does all travel have to be in the same direction? Could I lay over only in SFO or HNL but not both? Normally I'd expect to have 3 awards issued to travel to SFO, HNL, and LHR so if I can combine into just 1 or 2 awards I'd be happy. I am very flexible on dates and can do as one 2 week trip or split into multiple trips with a multi-week or multi-month "layover." Any assistance that can be provided would be appreciated.
AAdvantage awards are one-way awards now. One free stopover at a North American gateway, subject to routing rules, is permitted. To see whether JFK-SFO-LHR would be permitted on a single award, just plug the itinerary into the "multi-city" award booking engine at aa.com, and see whether it prices as a single award.

You certainly cannot stopover at HNL on a JFK-LHR award, as BA does not serve HNL; therefore, HNL could never be your North American "gateway" on such an award. To qualify as a gateway, you must fly on a direct flight (single flight number) between the gateway and the foreign zone (Europe, in your case).

You should be able to have a gateway stopover at SFO on a HNL-JFK award. You could also have a stopover at JFK only a LHR-SFO award, or on a LHR-HNL award.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: FT
Am I missing the thread about the roll out of the new J product to the existing 777 and 767 fleet? I am looking at planning a trip into Japan and out of Hong Kong. Trying to figure out if I book F instead of J on AA to either HND or NRT although if it was new J, that would more than suffice. AA says "We are introducing new fully lie-flat seats in First and Business Class beginning with the new Boeing 777-300ER and rolling out across our international dual-aisle aircraft throughout 2013." so i am trying to see what the roll out schedule is...

Also, may as well get my another noob question out there.

What is the best place to check space on JAL using AA miles.

Do you know when JAL loads space for non JMB members? I see lots of JAL space on JMB but do not see the same space either on BA or when calling AA.

Last edited by mkjr; May 7, 2013 at 9:25 am
Old May 7, 2013, 1:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi everyone! I recently made Gold with AAdvantage and I had several trips booked that I now wanted to change my seats to Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats on those flights. On the seat map, it shows those MCE and P seats that are available, with some having a star indicating they are reserved for Elite. When I select the starred ones and submit, I'm told one or more of my seat selections was unavailable. When I select the non-starred MCE and P seats, it gives them to me. Any reason why I can't select the starred ones even though I'm Gold?
Old May 7, 2013, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by ramonjw
Hi everyone! I recently made Gold with AAdvantage and I had several trips booked that I now wanted to change my seats to Main Cabin Extra or Preferred seats on those flights. On the seat map, it shows those MCE and P seats that are available, with some having a star indicating they are reserved for Elite. When I select the starred ones and submit, I'm told one or more of my seat selections was unavailable. When I select the non-starred MCE and P seats, it gives them to me. Any reason why I can't select the starred ones even though I'm Gold?
Have you tried calling to see if your reservations need to be refreshed to reflect your new status?
Old May 7, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
EDIT...per the T&C of the AA card it is first bag checked free after the card has been active for 7 days.
Card was only 6 days active and thus the bag fees.

How is it possible for ticket agents not to know Ciit AA Platinum cardholders get the first checked bag free for the cardholder?
Hasn't this been a benefit for over a year now?

Wife was charged for her and her companion (they were on the same PNR) at PDX and again on the return from MSY even after she showed the GA's the CC and she is the primary cardholder as well.

Wonder how many people this happens to. She is not an experienced traveler and wasn't even going to say anything but I saw the receipts and asked what they were for.

Last edited by apodo77; May 8, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.