Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 4, 2013, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL
Yes - HKG and BKK are both in Asia 2, therefore connections (less than 24 hours) are permitted.
Thanks!^ Good to hear that mixing airlines is permitted on non-OW partner awards.
Old May 5, 2013, 2:28 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
My itinerary has AA:LAX-LHR and BA:LHR-CDG (AA flight number) flights on both ways, and I applied two of my SWUs to the AA flights both way.
Now I checked my reservation at ba.com with AA reservation # then I'm able to see my reservation with BA reservation # and also I was able to change my seats for BA flights.

The itinerary from ba.com shows two same AA flights just for outbound, one is economy seat and the other is business seat. I believe that's because I applied my SWU to the flight? However, inbound flight shows only economy seat even I applied my SWU to the flight. Did the AA agent forget to apply SWU to the inbound flight? Or, BA's reservation doesn't show everything?
Since aa.com doesn't show that I applied SWUs there is no way to know that unless I call AA again to double check???
Old May 5, 2013, 3:49 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Hello AA folks. I was a loyal BMI customer. My BMI miles were transfered to BA. Since then I did not fly a single time with BA (because no flights on my routes) and I did also not spend any miles (because awards are ways too expensive both in terms of miles required and "taxes and fees").

Soon, I will see another transfer from StarAlliance to OneWorld. That will be the transfer of my US Air miles to American Air. In a nutshell: Will I be again disappointed with AA or is AA a good program in terms of award flights?
- Are there fuel surcharges and outrageously high other fees and mileage requirements like in the BA program? Or is AA similar to US Air?
- Can I book one way awards with the AA program?
- Do miles expire?
Old May 5, 2013, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
The itinerary from ba.com shows two same AA flights just for outbound, one is economy seat and the other is business seat. I believe that's because I applied my SWU to the flight? However, inbound flight shows only economy seat even I applied my SWU to the flight. Did the AA agent forget to apply SWU to the inbound flight? Or, BA's reservation doesn't show everything?
Since aa.com doesn't show that I applied SWUs there is no way to know that unless I call AA again to double check???
What do you mean aa.com doesn't show you applied the SWU? As soon as your upgrade clears, you reservation should show business class on the appropriate flights on aa.com.

Sometimes ba.com shows all sorts of things, but as long as your BA flights are correct on there you should be fine.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Hello AA folks. I was a loyal BMI customer. My BMI miles were transfered to BA. Since then I did not fly a single time with BA (because no flights on my routes) and I did also not spend any miles (because awards are ways too expensive both in terms of miles required and "taxes and fees").

Soon, I will see another transfer from StarAlliance to OneWorld. That will be the transfer of my US Air miles to American Air. In a nutshell: Will I be again disappointed with AA or is AA a good program in terms of award flights?
- Are there fuel surcharges and outrageously high other fees and mileage requirements like in the BA program? Or is AA similar to US Air?
- Can I book one way awards with the AA program?
- Do miles expire?
AA's program, in its current state, is generally regarded as very good.

The only major fuel surcharges are for redemptions on BA longhaul, so avoid those flights and you're fine. There are other fees like any program (booking within 21 days, telephone booking, etc.), but with a little planning these can minimized. All AA awards are one-way. And miles do expire, but it's easy to keep this from happening as long as you have any kind of account activity at least every 18 months.

However, once the AA/US merger is complete and the programs are combined, no one knows what AAdvantage will look like.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
AA Priority - Security + Check-in Qs

Can I ask, if one has access to AA priority, is there a separate channel for security/US Pre-clearance at YYZ T3, or does everyone have to go in the same line?

Also Im not sure if anyone would know this, but when flying from YYZ and pre-clearing with checked baggage, how does it work? Do you get the baggage tag and then still bring the bag with you to the US customs area, or can the bag be checked at the check-in desks?

Thanks for help, not sure if anyone is familiar with pre-clearance from Canada.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
What do you mean aa.com doesn't show you applied the SWU? As soon as your upgrade clears, you reservation should show business class on the appropriate flights on aa.com.

Sometimes ba.com shows all sorts of things, but as long as your BA flights are correct on there you should be fine.
When it's waitlisted, how can you tell? By the way the two flights were not cleared yet. That's what agent said but I have no idea if SWU is really applied or not.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
When it's waitlisted, how can you tell?
You have to take the agent at their word that you're waitlisted. You won't see anything on line. The first indication you'll have that you might be clearing is when the reservation is taken off line for a few hours, and then it will return showing you in the upgraded class of service.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Quick question:

As a non status nobody, do I get a free checked bag if I'm traveling to Europe but have an overnight connection at the NA gateway city? Can I collect my bag for the overnight?

Thanks!
Old May 5, 2013, 8:13 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by murphyUA
Quick question:

As a non status nobody, do I get a free checked bag if I'm traveling to Europe but have an overnight connection at the NA gateway city? Can I collect my bag for the overnight?

Thanks!
No. There are no free checked bags on flights to europe.
Old May 5, 2013, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton ◆
Originally Posted by HNL
No. There are no free checked bags on flights to europe.
Not according to aa.com:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...e.jsp#!charges

USA - Europe states $60 for a second checked bag (first is no charge) for a non-status discount economy traveler.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:00 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anotherlad
Not according to aa.com:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...e.jsp#!charges

USA - Europe states $60 for a second checked bag (first is no charge) for a non-status discount economy traveler.
Oops - you are correct. My mistake. Sorry for the bad reading comprehension.

So now back to the initial question about free baggage allowance on the NA connection. IMHO you should be allowed to short check your bag overnight at the NA gateway - depending on how long the connection is and to/from where
Old May 6, 2013, 4:31 am

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Is it normal for fare classes to change 2 weeks after ticketing ?

I had a 8 segment ticket where some of the Q's have changed to M's or S's

Just found it a bit strange as I thought they would not change after ticketing
Old May 6, 2013, 5:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
That is indeed strange.

Originally Posted by LonghornDXB
Is it normal for fare classes to change 2 weeks after ticketing ?

I had a 8 segment ticket where some of the Q's have changed to M's or S's

Just found it a bit strange as I thought they would not change after ticketing
Old May 6, 2013, 8:10 am

Hello all! I've used FlyerTalk a lot in the past as a reader and this is my first question. Thank you all in advance.

My mom is flying from the U.S. to Asia on AA, tickets booked 2 months ago. She got the AA Citi Plat Visa card last week. Can you still enjoy the card benefits (Group 1 boarding and 1 free bag, etc) even though her tickets were not booked by the AA Citi card?

Thank you all in advance.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.