Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old May 2, 2013, 11:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Start checking 100 hours out when upgrades clear and hopefully something better will open up that's not a premium seat. There are premium seats open as far back as row 23 but not a single non-premium seat open right now. Other than that, you'll need to select a seat at check-in or at the gate. No assurance you won't get a middle seat if that's all that's left at that time.
Old May 3, 2013, 4:55 am

Booking higher fare code on new aa.com
I'm trying to book fares for certain routes on a higher fare code. Is it possible using the new aa website?
Old May 3, 2013, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by transconsan
Booking higher fare code on new aa.com
I'm trying to book fares for certain routes on a higher fare code. Is it possible using the new aa website?
Not possible. What you can do is put your desired itinerary on hold, then call AA Reservations to upfare your reservation. Then you may purchase it online to avoid the phone ticketing fee.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:42 am

Is it rude to request extra food or portions on first class on cathay when redeemed with aa points?
Old May 3, 2013, 10:47 am

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by tom911
Start checking 100 hours out when upgrades clear and hopefully something better will open up that's not a premium seat. There are premium seats open as far back as row 23 but not a single non-premium seat open right now. Other than that, you'll need to select a seat at check-in or at the gate. No assurance you won't get a middle seat if that's all that's left at that time.
Thanks. I set up an EF seat alert and hope something opens up. Not a great reintroduction to AA I know that UA plays similar games with E+ (which I don't have to deal with due to status), but the amount of seats AA is blocking seems far worse than what UA does. Maybe it's just a skewed perception though.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by infernorice
Is it rude to request extra food or portions on first class on cathay when redeemed with aa points?
Whether it's rude or not does not depend on which carrier's miles you used to obtain the seat, or on whether you're flying on a cash ticket or an award ticket.
Old May 3, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by infernorice
Most of non-US based airlines don't mind providing extra food / drink if they have it. I doubt they would be able to entertain your request if you ask for one more main course (they carry just about enough main courses to accommodate passengers). But asking for extra nuts / cookies / bread etc. should be just fine.

By the way, in First, you may not even have to ask. For most of the items, they would do couple of rounds.

So, short answer: Absolutely! Go for it!

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Whether it's rude or not does not depend on which carrier's miles you used to obtain the seat, or on whether you're flying on a cash ticket or an award ticket.
Agree 100%

Cheers!
Old May 3, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
award options

Hi guys, I just need some quick help with the most efficient way to book this routing for my in-laws.

They want to go from LAX-TPE, spend a few days, fly TPE-SGN, spend a few weeks, and then fly back SGN-LAX. My plan is:

1. LAX-HKG-TPE on CX using AA miles
2. TPE-HKG-SGN on CX using BA Avios
3. SGN-HKG-LAX on CX using AA miles

My question: Is there a way to do all of this on one round trip booking with AA miles? Build in the stopover in TPE so I don't have to use Avios?

Any other options? I have UA and US miles, but not many good biz/first options for their dates.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC
Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding a flight BOS-JFK. AA is selling business and first at different prices, but i've seen that AA operates a 738 in this route, hence only two classes . If I book business, would I travel in the "First class seats"?

If so what is the difference then?

Thank you!!^
Old May 3, 2013, 5:38 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
I think that's pretty much what you will have to do, unless you change the type of award entirely to a oneworld Explorer award.

Originally Posted by mattolo
Hi guys, I just need some quick help with the most efficient way to book this routing for my in-laws.

They want to go from LAX-TPE, spend a few days, fly TPE-SGN, spend a few weeks, and then fly back SGN-LAX. My plan is:

1. LAX-HKG-TPE on CX using AA miles
2. TPE-HKG-SGN on CX using BA Avios
3. SGN-HKG-LAX on CX using AA miles

My question: Is there a way to do all of this on one round trip booking with AA miles? Build in the stopover in TPE so I don't have to use Avios?

Any other options? I have UA and US miles, but not many good biz/first options for their dates.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2013, 5:45 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Hello and welcome! It would be very unusual for AA to sell a domestic flight, LAX-BOS, as Business unless there were a three class aircraft (762, 777) flying on that route.

And when I run the possibility of LAX-BOS flights, Business is listed as "Unavailable" on every single flight. First shows as ranging from $1214 to $3908, depending on refundability etc. and Economy from $401 to $736.

Originally Posted by BAFIRST
Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding a flight BOS-JFK. AA is selling business and first at different prices, but i've seen that AA operates a 738 in this route, hence only two classes . If I book business, would I travel in the "First class seats"?

If so what is the difference then?

Thank you!!^
Old May 3, 2013, 6:09 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I think that's pretty much what you will have to do, unless you change the type of award entirely to a oneworld Explorer award.
Ok thanks, it looks like the explorer award wouldn't save me any miles in this case.
Old May 3, 2013, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by JDiver
Hello and welcome! It would be very unusual for AA to sell a domestic flight, LAX-BOS, as Business unless there were a three class aircraft (762, 777) flying on that route.

And when I run the possibility of LAX-BOS flights, Business is listed as "Unavailable" on every single flight. First shows as ranging from $1214 to $3908, depending on refundability etc. and Economy from $401 to $736.
Thank you for your response and the welcome JDiver!
I have just checked back the website and now only Econ and First are appearing, so its all as it was supposed to be!^

Thank you very much indeed!
Old May 3, 2013, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Quick question: Does anyone know whether TLV-HKG(LY)-BKK(CX) would be a permitted routing when booking as a single award?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 4, 2013, 3:59 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Quick question: Does anyone know whether TLV-HKG(LY)-BKK(CX) would be a permitted routing when booking as a single award?

Thanks in advance!
Yes - HKG and BKK are both in Asia 2, therefore connections (less than 24 hours) are permitted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.