Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 28, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
Domestic F Meal service Question

All,

I wanted to ask this question in the 2012 meal service thread, but it was closed, so decided to pop it in here

I am planning to fly from WAS-LAS, and have three choices of routes, DCA-JFK-LAS, IAD-LAX-LAS, DCA-LAX-LAS

DCA-LAX and JFK-LAS is dinner, with IAD-LAX as lunch...of the three flights, which would offer a better meal service? If IAD/DCA-LAX is classed as transcon, i'm assuming these would offer the better meal service...?

Thanks in advance!!

ajws_83

Last edited by ajws_83; Apr 28, 2013 at 5:21 pm
Old Apr 28, 2013, 6:10 pm

Upgrade wait list

Hi all. I'm new to AA, so learning the rules. Something happened on trip I'm on and I'm looking for some advice on how to avoid a repeat.

About 2 months ago, I booked DCA-DFW-LIM round trip in economy. After the flight was ticketed, I called the ExPlat desk to apply eVIPs to the the PNR. They wait listed me on all segments.

About a week later, I log into AA.com and realize I can't see upgrade status on the site (or that an upgrade was even requested), like I'm used to on UA. I call AA back to confirm that I'm wait listed. They say yes.

Cut to today. No upgrade on DCA-DFW. No problem. I know that DFW-LIM is zeroed out in C, so I don't expect anything. When I get to the gate though, I notice that my name isn't even on the "Upgrade Requested" screen. I ask the GA if I'm in the system at all for the request. She says no.

So my question is, what happened? And is there a way to prevent me from disappearing off the upgrade list? I plan to call AA when I get to LIM, so I hope to at least have a shot at the upgrade.

Thanks!
Old Apr 28, 2013, 9:14 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by i'mlovin'it
Hi all. I'm new to AA, so learning the rules. Something happened on trip I'm on and I'm looking for some advice on how to avoid a repeat.

About 2 months ago, I booked DCA-DFW-LIM round trip in economy. After the flight was ticketed, I called the ExPlat desk to apply eVIPs to the the PNR. They wait listed me on all segments.

About a week later, I log into AA.com and realize I can't see upgrade status on the site (or that an upgrade was even requested), like I'm used to on UA. I call AA back to confirm that I'm wait listed. They say yes.

Cut to today. No upgrade on DCA-DFW. No problem. I know that DFW-LIM is zeroed out in C, so I don't expect anything. When I get to the gate though, I notice that my name isn't even on the "Upgrade Requested" screen. I ask the GA if I'm in the system at all for the request. She says no.

So my question is, what happened? And is there a way to prevent me from disappearing off the upgrade list? I plan to call AA when I get to LIM, so I hope to at least have a shot at the upgrade.

Thanks!
There are two separate waitlists. One for before the flight, and another at the airport (kicks in about T-3 hours or so). I'm guessing the best explanation is that you were indeed on the waitlist before the flight, but somehow was not added to the airport waitlist.

For what it's worth, there is no conflict between the phone reps saying that you've been waitlisted and not seeing it in your online reservation. There is no similar notice like the one you see when a UA GPU gets waitlisted. I know, it takes faith in the system, but it is what it is.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 10:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Why the 2012 thread? Wouldn't the 2013 thread be more appropriate anyway?

Originally Posted by ajws_83
All,

I wanted to ask this question in the 2012 meal service thread, but it was closed, so decided to pop it in here

I am planning to fly from WAS-LAS, and have three choices of routes, DCA-JFK-LAS, IAD-LAX-LAS, DCA-LAX-LAS

DCA-LAX and JFK-LAS is dinner, with IAD-LAX as lunch...of the three flights, which would offer a better meal service? If IAD/DCA-LAX is classed as transcon, i'm assuming these would offer the better meal service...?

Thanks in advance!!

ajws_83
Old Apr 29, 2013, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Virgin FC
Originally Posted by JDiver
Why the 2012 thread? Wouldn't the 2013 thread be more appropriate anyway?
oops missed that! thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:22 am

I found a reasonable good price in J (about 2k euros) ticket CDG-BKK with CX on CX web site.
Will I have AA EQM ,? (meant 100% of the BIS miles)
My 100% plat bonus ?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 9:55 am

Programs: star alliance
Business/First sale this summer.

Because of the sale I was looking into Business/First fares for Rome in late August, however, I am not that interested in going to Rome in August. Does AA have a history of offering similar sales for November? As it is right now, my wife and I can fly First in August for much less than Business in November. One is in the busy season and the other in low season. What gives? Thanks.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:25 am

Trade-offs when switching loyalty programs?

New to the forums and travelling for business... I just hit Silver with UA, but my travel destination is changing from DEN > LAX to DEN > DFW. There isn't a good departing UA flight to DFW at the time I need, so I am considering flying AA instead. I'm having a hard time considering the trade-offs between switching loyalty programs.

My questions are:
1. Is it worth it to completely switch airline affiliation from UA to AA? I prefer UA since DEN is a hub, but since I am just beginning to gain status I could be convinced to switch.
2. If I do switch to AA, should I fly all flights AA, or continue gaining points on both AA and UA (e.g. Fly AA Mondays, fly UA Thursdays)?
3. Should I pay the $100/$180 to do the Gold/Platinum challenge? DEN > DFW is less than 700 miles one way and I'm not sure if I could get enough miles to make status anyways. I've also seen talk of those Instant Elite emails going out, getting one of those would solve all of my problems...
4. There is a decent Frontier flight Monday mornings... is that even worth consideration?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 29, 2013, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
There are two separate waitlists. One for before the flight, and another at the airport (kicks in about T-3 hours or so). I'm guessing the best explanation is that you were indeed on the waitlist before the flight, but somehow was not added to the airport waitlist.

For what it's worth, there is no conflict between the phone reps saying that you've been waitlisted and not seeing it in your online reservation. There is no similar notice like the one you see when a UA GPU gets waitlisted. I know, it takes faith in the system, but it is what it is.
Thanks for the info. I talked to the ExPlat desk. She said that she saw that I was on the pre-flight waitlist but not the airport waitlist and there were 2 possibilities that could have caused the ball to be dropped (1. I checked in online or 2. She was showing a schedule change).

She suggested that when I check in for my flight home, I specifically ask to be put onto the Airport waitlist. Lesson learned.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium Elite, National Executive
@Cedric

I'll assume that is roundtrip since I did a notional search and found 2300€ on same route. You should get 14038 EQM, 21057 EQP, and somewhere around 31585 RDM if you're already PLT or above. If you are not, now would be the time to do a PLT challenge--meet the requirement before reaching Krungthep
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by CaptRobPhD
@Cedric

I'll assume that is roundtrip since I did a notional search and found 2300 on same route. You should get 14038 EQM, 21057 EQP, and somewhere around 31585 RDM if you're already PLT or above. If you are not, now would be the time to do a PLT challenge--meet the requirement before reaching Krungthep
Thank you CaptRobPhD for the info.
Few years ago, flying a cheap Y ticket CDG-HKG-SYD I had 0 EQM - 0 RDM - 0 EQP. Was afraid to do the same mistake again
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:28 pm

Programs: EK Blue, EY Guest, AA, QR
Booking 2 itineraries and placing them on hold can mean the earlier itinerary gets canceled automatically

However if I have a ticket issued for an itinerary and i create a 2nd reservation for the same travel dates, is there a chance the ticket gets cancelled?
Old Apr 29, 2013, 8:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by kangarooroo
1. Is it worth it to completely switch airline affiliation from UA to AA? I prefer UA since DEN is a hub, but since I am just beginning to gain status I could be convinced to switch.
Depends how much you're going to fly each year. If it adds up to 50K I'd rather have the 100% bonus miles at that level on AA versus the 50% bonus miles at the same level at UA. If you put 25K on each carrier you'll only get 25% bonus miles on both and that would be a major hit. You have to plot out your entire year and see what it might look like, including flights besides DEN-DFW. If you can hit the 50K/Platinum level at AA you're going to build up a lot more miles over time than at the same level (Gold) at UA.

2. If I do switch to AA, should I fly all flights AA, or continue gaining points on both AA and UA (e.g. Fly AA Mondays, fly UA Thursdays)?
Again, it depends what your projected year end total is. If you can hit 50K on AA to get the 100% bonus miles, you could put everything after that on UA, but you'd only get 25% bonus miles at the lowest elite tier there, in effect losing 75% extra bonus miles you'd be accruing at AA.

3. Should I pay the $100/$180 to do the Gold/Platinum challenge? DEN > DFW is less than 700 miles one
Keep in mind challenges are based on points, not miles, so your decision can't be made until you know how many points your fare will accrue and if you can do it within the challenge "window". If you have projected travel this year, I'd get to the 100% bonus miles at Platinum as quick as I could. Once you start getting 100% bonus miles it's a perk you're not going to want to easily surrender. You may very well find the value there when you look at the extra miles you'd pick up for the year at the Platinum level.

4. There is a decent Frontier flight Monday mornings... is that even worth consideration?
If you're not looking at building up miles for award travel, or things like upgrades, and strictly want the best-timed flight, that might work for you, but just make sure you know what you're potentially giving up.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 6:44 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Question

I am fairly new to AA and I seem to be unable to make heads and tails from some of the rules/operational decisions. I'd like to seek clarification on the following points:

- I had booked a H-class ticket with an international r/t that I had to cancel. This has been 14 days ago and I still have not received any cancellation confirmation. The ticket itself is gone from the "my trips" overview. I'd still need a confirmation of the cancellation for reimbursement. Is it normal to not get a confirmation?

- Despite having an upgrade success ratio form 100%, I ended up in Y after IROPS. The funny thing is that I was twice in the first row of coach with F seats being vacant during the flight. Is it normal to not be considered for an upgrade after you suffered irregular operations?

- Almost all international trips that involve a partner (so far IB, BA, and AB) add an IROP-to-be-happen aspect by not being able to provide all BP's in advance. Yesterday, I had to spend 15 minutes in LHR and 10 in DTW at the transfer desk to get my next BP's - very inconvenient on a 1:45 connection with immigration and a slight BA delay. Unfortunately, whenever a partner is involved the occasional kiosk is saying to contact an agent ... is there a way around this?

Thank you for any replies.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 7:32 am

Programs: AA, AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by CX828
I used this tool from the FAQ, and it said I do, but when I plugged in CX Gold, but when I plugged in any level on AA it said no, which cant be right?! http://flyertools.kduarte.com/oneworld-lounge-access/
Hi there - site author here. Can you tell me what system/browser you're using so that I can debug? I can't get the same result as you on Mac-based browsers (Safari, Chrome, Firefox). Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.