Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:14 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I'm holding award tickets now, but I want to add legs without losing the original flights. Is that possible?
For example, I have flights B-C and now I want to add A-B and C-D,
so my new itinerary would be A-B-C-D.
A and B are in the same zone (North America) and C and D are also in the same zone (Europe).
Provided you do not change the type of award (e.g. AAdvantage vs All Partner) then adding segments can be done.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 2:16 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by HNL
Provided you do not change the type of award (e.g. AAdvantage vs All Partner) then adding segments can be done.
The original flights I want to keep are AA and Oneworld flights and I want to add AA flights to them.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:22 am

Hi Everyone.

Newbie here.
Does anyone have a promotional code (to earn Bonus miles) when joining the AAdvantage programme?

Many Thanks,
Max (UK)
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Andy Stocker
Hello everyone! Newbie here!! Just got Directv last month for the 25,000 AA miles. Got them today!! Was super excited, then realized that 12.5k is the only way I get a "free" flight. I need to fly from Evansville, Indiana to Midland Texas in July. I might also be able to get a ride from Dallas to Midland (6 hours away). I guess my question is, is it pretty much cut and dry with 12.5k days vs. 25k days? If the dates I need are 25k, an AA agent at my airport couldnt apply my miles and reduce my fare to like $150-200? Or is it pretty much all or nothing? My wife is from Texas and we have 3 kids. They are going in May for the summer and already have tickets. We can always hold the points until next year, but I really thought I would be able to use it this year. I guess I am just looking for any suggestions...does it do any good to try to work with an aa REP? It honestly would work out better to pay a little bit of money rather than move my travel to the 12.5k days (there aren't many of them). If I use 25,000k miles one way, and my balance is 25,000 to pay for the trip, won't that be $525? Or will they cut the fare in half?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Andy.

AA doesn't offer any sort of "pay with miles" like Delta does, to reduce the cost of the ticket by applying miles.

They do offer "dynamic air awards" which will price a ticket in miles based on the current cash price, but that's only available to elite members, so if you;re new to the program, that won't help.

So it is all-or-nothing. As you noted, you can use AA miles one way, and pay cash the other. That would be two separate reservations. Sometimes that helps, but first make sure the one way cash price is half the roundtrip. Sometimes it is, but on other routes, the one way fare can cost more than that, even more that a full roundtrip would. You can price them out online, and even put them on hold while you're investigating.

"Is it pretty much cut and dry with 12.5k days vs. 25k days?" Actually no. Inventory changes all the time, and even if there's no 12.5K seat available now, they may open one up tomorrow, or next month, or the day before departure, or never. There's no way to tell.

One other thing to remember is that the 25K award, if you choose to go that way, offers last-seat availability. So you don't have to rush to book that, it won't go away unless the plane fully sells out. But don't wait too long, the cash alternative may increase in price at any time.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Yes, call the EXP desk. You must purchase immediately and cannot place the fare back on hold. Not sure if regular res agents will do this.
EXP desk said that they werent sure and transferred me to Web services. They said no. I called back and the next EXP agent said that it cannot be done.

Also, do they not work on multi segment tickets?

Last edited by Antarius; Apr 25, 2013 at 8:15 am
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Antarius
EXP desk said that they werent sure and transferred me to Web services. They said no. I called back and the next EXP agent said that it cannot be done.

Also, do they not work on multi segment tickets?
Well I have done this recently so it is certainly possible. But I've also had a lot of disappointing experiences with EXP agents this year...
Old Apr 25, 2013, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta, American, Hertz, LHW
AA Credit Card

Who has the best AA credit card with the most sign on points?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm asking this here because it's been answered somewhere before (sp certainly doesn't warrant another thread) but the threads I'm looking in are so long I'm starting to lose the will to live!

Looking to book a CX award using AA miles:

1) Is the booking timeframe 331 days from date of flight or 330 days? (I think it's 330 but just want to be sure)

2) What constitutes 330 days (or 331 days)? i.e Is it midnight Hong Kong time or is it Central time because I'm booking through AA or is it something else?

Same questions for booking a QF award

Thanks in advance for the help (and thank you Mods for giving us somewhere to ask these q's flame free!)
Old Apr 25, 2013, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hilton ◆
Originally Posted by Stripy
2) What constitutes 330 days (or 331 days)? i.e Is it midnight Hong Kong time or is it Central time because I'm booking through AA or is it something else?

Same questions for booking a QF award
I don't have experience with CX, but in my experience with QF booking with AA miles, it seems to be tied to central US time. But it's not precise. I've called before shortly after midnight with no luck, but then call back 2 hours later and it's loaded in. It seems like the flights can be loaded in as early as midnight, but in reality it takes some amount of time after that.

YMMV I suppose.
Old Apr 25, 2013, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
GRU lounges

Are Emeralds able to access the TAM F lounge? I checked the OW site and it's not that clear.

Any other GRU lounge recos are appreciated - seems the AC isn't that good...United Club CAN'T really be better, can it?
Old Apr 25, 2013, 9:37 pm

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Hi everyone,

Hope you don't mind answering these questions:

Is 10A/F on the domestic 757 have good leg room, + is there a window? reports on seat guru/experflyer seem mixed.

Also I have booked an award (Through CX Asia Miles) and a couple of the flights I wanted LAS-MIA + MIA-YYZ were not available on the days I wanted. DO you know if AA release award seats to partner airlines nearer the flight? I am flying May 15/16.

Thanks for help
Old Apr 25, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Are Emeralds able to access the TAM F lounge? I checked the OW site and it's not that clear.

Any other GRU lounge recos are appreciated - seems the AC isn't that good...United Club CAN'T really be better, can it?
Nope, Tam won't joint oneworld until next year.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Nope, Tam won't joint oneworld until next year.
Thanks, that's what I thought - guess I'll bounce between the UC and AC then.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by CX828
Is 10A/F on the domestic 757 have good leg room, + is there a window? reports on seat guru/experflyer seem mixed.

Also I have booked an award (Through CX Asia Miles) and a couple of the flights I wanted LAS-MIA + MIA-YYZ were not available on the days I wanted. DO you know if AA release award seats to partner airlines nearer the flight? I am flying May 15/16.
Yup. 10 A/F on the 757 have about 2/3 of a seat width completely wide open in front of them. As long as you're not too wide there's just enough room to squeeze out to the aisle even.

AA's award availability is totally dynamic, if they don't think all the seats will sell then it could release more award seats as the flight gets closer. This could be today, tomorrow, a week before the flight, a day before the flight, there's no way to tell.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 9:23 am

Programs: CX MarcoPolo (SL), BA Executive Club (GO)
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yup. 10 A/F on the 757 have about 2/3 of a seat width completely wide open in front of them. As long as you're not too wide there's just enough room to squeeze out to the aisle even.

AA's award availability is totally dynamic, if they don't think all the seats will sell then it could release more award seats as the flight gets closer. This could be today, tomorrow, a week before the flight, a day before the flight, there's no way to tell.
Ok thanks for the info. So 10A/F do have a window to look out of, just to confirm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.