Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by dggoldst
Hi,

I'm taking a Finnair flight but want to make sure I get AA miles.

The flight was booked with a travel agent. They say they gave my info to AA, but the flight doesn't show up under My Trips on aa.com. (Emphaisis mine)
Your travel agent did you no favors. Finnair needs to have your AA number, not AA.

You can go to the Finnair site and enter it yourself, under "My Booking." You'll need you name and booking reference.

And welcome to FT!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:43 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
AA question. I'm new to AA (been UA all my life), but in an EXP match situation. I had booked ICN-DFW-DCA R/T, but the AA website only allowed for the "cheapest fare" (not a specific booking code as I was used to on UA) so I got "N". When I realized that N will not get me 1:1 points toward the 25,000 points needed in the 90 days, I called AA and changed to "V" (but charged the change fee plus the fare increase). I find it very annoying that aa.com does not allow for specific booking codes, then I had to pay a change fee to get the code I wanted. Is there any way around this (since aa.com only allows for "cheapest" versus "fully refundable" choices)?
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by relangford
AA question. I'm new to AA (been UA all my life), but in an EXP match situation. I had booked ICN-DFW-DCA R/T, but the AA website only allowed for the "cheapest fare" (not a specific booking code as I was used to on UA) so I got "N". When I realized that N will not get me 1:1 points toward the 25,000 points needed in the 90 days, I called AA and changed to "V" (but charged the change fee plus the fare increase). I find it very annoying that aa.com does not allow for specific booking codes, then I had to pay a change fee to get the code I wanted. Is there any way around this (since aa.com only allows for "cheapest" versus "fully refundable" choices)?
Yes, you should've called to upfare before ticketing (ie. while your itinerary was on hold). Also, if you explained the situation to the AAgent (that you just wanted to pay a higher fare for your ticket to earn more EQP), he or she might've waived the change fee for you.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
Additional info about previous post: my "receipt" for the entire R/T shows only the change fee, making it difficult to get reimbursement from my client for the TPAC flight. This is even on the "request refund" page of aa.com, so I guess if I were to cancel, I'd only get the change fee back. Seems strange. As bad as UA is getting, this isn't a good start with AA.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Additional info about previous post: my "receipt" for the entire R/T shows only the change fee, making it difficult to get reimbursement from my client for the TPAC flight. This is even on the "request refund" page of aa.com, so I guess if I were to cancel, I'd only get the change fee back. Seems strange. As bad as UA is getting, this isn't a good start with AA.
Does the refund page show a ticket was exchanged?
If yes, then you should be able to see the price paid for the original ticket.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by JMN57
+1 on just get the F SAAver award
It's like a thousand miles, I say just fly economy.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:52 am

Q: Does the refund page show a ticket was exchanged?
If yes, then you should be able to see the price paid for the original ticket.

A: My client would likely question why I printed out a "refund" page (probably thinking I bought two tickets at different fares and refunded the higher priced one) - this has happened - the questioning, not the cheating - in the past. I do have the original itinerary and I'll try to use that to show the fare.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:24 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
What many here do is to put the itinerary on HOLD, call Web Services to change the fare to a better points-producing fare, and once that is done go to the original itinerary on aa.com and purchase. No fees, no extra cost, other than the upfare cost.

Reading FlyerTalk can help those new to an airline's idiosyncrasies before they get caught up in them.

Old Apr 23, 2013, 2:54 pm

Programs: AAdvantage; Marriott
Systemwide Upgrades

Has anyone heard if AA plans to start offering Premium Economy as a fourth option (as well as Economy, Business, First) on international trips, and if so, will they count Economy to Premium Economy as an upgrade (i.e. using miles or Systemwie Upgrades)?

First time post
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mvoight:20636437
Originally Posted by JMN57
+1 on just get the F SAAver award
It's like a thousand miles, I say just fly economy.
I would too but OP wanted F to travel with an older relative with health problems.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by PDuckham
Has anyone heard if AA plans to start offering Premium Economy as a fourth option (as well as Economy, Business, First) on international trips, and if so, will they count Economy to Premium Economy as an upgrade (i.e. using miles or Systemwie Upgrades)?

First time post
Nope. AA has rolled out Main Cabin Extra (MCE) across many of its flights, however. It's just an extended legroom section of the plane, considered part of the Main Cabin.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Can you use a coupon on a fare on hold?
Old Apr 24, 2013, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Antarius
Can you use a coupon on a fare on hold?
Yes, call the EXP desk. You must purchase immediately and cannot place the fare back on hold. Not sure if regular res agents will do this.
Old Apr 24, 2013, 9:59 pm

Hello everyone! Newbie here!! Just got Directv last month for the 25,000 AA miles. Got them today!! Was super excited, then realized that 12.5k is the only way I get a "free" flight. I need to fly from Evansville, Indiana to Midland Texas in July. I might also be able to get a ride from Dallas to Midland (6 hours away). I guess my question is, is it pretty much cut and dry with 12.5k days vs. 25k days? If the dates I need are 25k, an AA agent at my airport couldnt apply my miles and reduce my fare to like $150-200? Or is it pretty much all or nothing? My wife is from Texas and we have 3 kids. They are going in May for the summer and already have tickets. We can always hold the points until next year, but I really thought I would be able to use it this year. I guess I am just looking for any suggestions...does it do any good to try to work with an aa REP? It honestly would work out better to pay a little bit of money rather than move my travel to the 12.5k days (there aren't many of them). If I use 25,000k miles one way, and my balance is 25,000 to pay for the trip, won't that be $525? Or will they cut the fare in half?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
adding flights to award tickets

I'm holding award tickets now, but I want to add legs without losing the original flights. Is that possible?
For example, I have flights B-C and now I want to add A-B and C-D,
so my new itinerary would be A-B-C-D.
A and B are in the same zone (North America) and C and D are also in the same zone (Europe).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.