Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:58 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost


Old Apr 21, 13, 8:46 pm
  #1051
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Posts: 32,284
Originally Posted by ac4m2 View Post
the JFK-LHR and LHR-DFW parts of my trip are the ones I am interested on upgrading with my existing miles (actually for another person as well, who is also a platinum status member). I have checked by phone with AA yesterday and they claimed they couldn't do the awards miles because business was full. I checked the sitting availability on their site, and business shows only 50% full on the JFK-LHR part, and 10% full of the LHR-DFW part.
Welcome to FT.

I have a feeling that what they told you was not that "business was full" but that there was no upgrade space available. Those are different beasts. There can be seats available, but no upgrade inventory.

The only way to see the upgrade availability is to use a site called www.expertflyer.com. It has a paid subscription, but you can get 5 days for free to check it out. For the flights of interest, you'll want to look for 'C' inventory (under Awards and Upgrades). That is the upgrade inventory, which is independent of the open seats.

Good luck!

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Apr 21, 13, 8:49 pm
  #1052
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 7,983
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Can 500-mile UG certificates be used internationally? If there is no C availability at the time your window opens, is there a waitlist that will definitely clear if a seat is available in the UG cabin?

Regarding mileage UGs, do you have to pay the co-pay if you go on the waitlist? Or only when it actually clears?

Do UGs have to be re-ticketed by a phone agent like they do on DL?
They can be used on short haul int'l but not to Europe, Asia, etc. From coach to first you're looking for X availability, and from coach to business R. From aa.com...

Upgrades may be used on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection marketed and operated flights offering a First or Business Class cabin within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, The Bahamas, Bermuda, as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).

For miles/copay, you're not charged the copay until the upgrade clears. These are reticketed, but an upgrade using 500mi'ers are not.
Many thanks!
HongKonger is offline  
Old Apr 21, 13, 8:52 pm
  #1053
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 7,983
[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Asked this in status match thread but no response.

I want to do a status match after July 1 so it lasts all of next year. I have a TPAC itinerary that would get me enough EQM for the status match, but it will start in late June. Can I claim this itinerary even though it begins in June?

Thanks!
HongKonger is offline  
Old Apr 21, 13, 9:27 pm
  #1054
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Asked this in status match thread but no response.

I want to do a status match after July 1 so it lasts all of next year. I have a TPAC itinerary that would get me enough EQM for the status match, but it will start in late June. Can I claim this itinerary even though it begins in June?

Thanks!
I'm assuming you're talking about the status challenge. You posted there less than 24 hours ago; be a little patient

First of all, I thought the cutoff date was June 16, when you'll keep the status until the end of the next status year. Call AA CS to verify that.

Next, you must fly all of the segments within the 3 month challenge period. You may backdate the start date, but that means, say, calling today and asking to start the challenge on April 1st so you can include a flight on April 3rd. You cannot start the challenge on April 16 and include a flight on April 3rd. But you can call on Apr. 16 to start the challenge Apr. 1st. Does that help?
Apieinthesky is offline  
Old Apr 21, 13, 9:37 pm
  #1055
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 56,596
EQM? You need EQ Points. And it is the weekend, and FT is pretty slow on nice Spring weekend days.

In reply you can not have your cake and eat it too . Begin June 16, your status is extended one status year; begin prior to that date, and your status will extend through the end of February of the next calendar year. Begin June 16 and any Points you earn previously will not count.

And by the way, cross-posting is prohibited; posting the same question in more than one thread will result in deletion of one of them.

Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Asked this in status match thread but no response.

I want to do a status match after July 1 so it lasts all of next year. I have a TPAC itinerary that would get me enough EQM for the status match, but it will start in late June. Can I claim this itinerary even though it begins in June?

Thanks!
JDiver is offline  
Old Apr 21, 13, 10:23 pm
  #1056
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 7,983
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
EQM? You need EQ Points. And it is the weekend, and FT is pretty slow on nice Spring weekend days.

In reply you can not have your cake and eat it too . Begin June 16, your status is extended one status year; begin prior to that date, and your status will extend through the end of February of the next calendar year. Begin June 16 and any Points you earn previously will not count.

And by the way, cross-posting is prohibited; posting the same question in more than one thread will result in deletion of one of them.

Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
Asked this in status match thread but no response.

I want to do a status match after July 1 so it lasts all of next year. I have a TPAC itinerary that would get me enough EQM for the status match, but it will start in late June. Can I claim this itinerary even though it begins in June?

Thanks!
It can only be EQP, not EQM? I thought it could be either.

Yes I guess I should be patient, I am used to the DL forum where people jump down your throat almost instantly.
HongKonger is offline  
Old Apr 21, 13, 10:34 pm
  #1057
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 56,596
No, challenges must be earned only on EQ Points.

Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
It can only be EQP, not EQM? I thought it could be either.

Yes I guess I should be patient, I am used to the DL forum where people jump down your throat almost instantly.
JDiver is offline  
Old Apr 21, 13, 10:55 pm
  #1058
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: HKG
Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Posts: 7,983
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
No, challenges must be earned only on EQ Points.

Originally Posted by HongKonger View Post
It can only be EQP, not EQM? I thought it could be either.

Yes I guess I should be patient, I am used to the DL forum where people jump down your throat almost instantly.
Very valuable info, thanks.
HongKonger is offline  
Old Apr 21, 13, 11:41 pm
  #1059
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: ORD, SJD, VNO, sandy places
Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
Posts: 449
As mentioned by the Moderator, a challenge is based on EQ points not miles.
Having just learned this myself
The following fare codes will provide 1:1 miles to points
L M K V H W are the lowest fare category codes.
Avoid Q S O N G as these do not provide 1:1 equivalency.
aafreq is offline  
Old Apr 22, 13, 12:42 am
  #1060
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by brp View Post
welcome to ft.

I have a feeling that what they told you was not that "business was full" but that there was no upgrade space available. Those are different beasts. There can be seats available, but no upgrade inventory.

The only way to see the upgrade availability is to use a site called www.expertflyer.com. It has a paid subscription, but you can get 5 days for free to check it out. For the flights of interest, you'll want to look for 'c' inventory (under awards and upgrades). That is the upgrade inventory, which is independent of the open seats.

Good luck!

Cheers.
thank you very much!!!
ac4m2 is offline  
Old Apr 22, 13, 12:56 am
  #1061
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: LAX, DXB and LHR
Programs: AA EXP, IHG Gold, Marriott something, Alamo whatsit, lover of the Parkingspot
Posts: 134
Ok - I'm hoping one of the Mods will see this - I'm not sure where to post it.
(...and yes, I've used the search function here, read the FAQ and Wikis, couldn't find this anywhere)

Just hung up with the EXP desk and they told me "starting tomorrow EXP will be allowed to check 4 bags up to 75lbs each when flying AA metal to Europe. 3 bags when flying OW metal."

Wozers! I could not find this mentioned elsewhere - nor have I confirmed it past the sole phone agent that relayed the info to me. (Can't find it on AA.com either)

Thought this would be good info somewhere here on FT... just not sure where!
Parkdesigner is offline  
Old Apr 22, 13, 1:24 am
  #1062
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by Parkdesigner View Post
Ok - I'm hoping one of the Mods will see this - I'm not sure where to post it.
(...and yes, I've used the search function here, read the FAQ and Wikis, couldn't find this anywhere)

Just hung up with the EXP desk and they told me "starting tomorrow EXP will be allowed to check 4 bags up to 75lbs each when flying AA metal to Europe. 3 bags when flying OW metal."

Wozers! I could not find this mentioned elsewhere - nor have I confirmed it past the sole phone agent that relayed the info to me. (Can't find it on AA.com either)

Thought this would be good info somewhere here on FT... just not sure where!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eb-2013-a.html

Already in effect.

A search for "oneworld emerald baggage allowance" on Google yields similar threads on other oneworld airline forums on FT.
Apieinthesky is offline  
Old Apr 22, 13, 10:02 am
  #1063
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2
Ensuring you get credit on a partner flight

Hi,

I'm taking a Finnair flight but want to make sure I get AA miles.

The flight was booked with a travel agent. They say they gave my info to AA, but the flight doesn't show up under My Trips on aa.com.

What do you experts do to make sure you're getting AA miles for a non AA flight?

Thanks!
dggoldst is offline  
Old Apr 22, 13, 10:15 am
  #1064
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 56,596
Welcome to FT.

Earning AAdvantage miles on AY is pretty good - all published fares earn 100% of miles, whereas that is not true with some other oneworld airlines.

Have you tried looking for your trip on the Finnair site?

In the end, be sure AY has your AAdvantage number on your boarding passes, and retain those and the ticket number until your AA account shows the miles (or you have to send copies to make a missing mileage claim).



Originally Posted by dggoldst View Post
Hi,

I'm taking a Finnair flight but want to make sure I get AA miles.

The flight was booked with a travel agent. They say they gave my info to AA, but the flight doesn't show up under My Trips on aa.com.

What do you experts do to make sure you're getting AA miles for a non AA flight?

Thanks!
JDiver is offline  
Old Apr 22, 13, 10:19 am
  #1065
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA EXP / 5.5 MM; HH <>; SPG Gold; Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 56,596
And F, A, P, I, R, D, J, B and Y are the most lucrative, as they earn 1.5 points per base mile. (source link)

Originally Posted by aafreq View Post
As mentioned by the Moderator, a challenge is based on EQ points not miles.
Having just learned this myself
The following fare codes will provide 1:1 miles to points
L M K V H W are the lowest fare category codes.
Avoid Q S O N G as these do not provide 1:1 equivalency.
JDiver is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 3:22 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright © 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.