Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:46 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ac4m2
the JFK-LHR and LHR-DFW parts of my trip are the ones I am interested on upgrading with my existing miles (actually for another person as well, who is also a platinum status member). I have checked by phone with AA yesterday and they claimed they couldn't do the awards miles because business was full. I checked the sitting availability on their site, and business shows only 50% full on the JFK-LHR part, and 10% full of the LHR-DFW part.
Welcome to FT.

I have a feeling that what they told you was not that "business was full" but that there was no upgrade space available. Those are different beasts. There can be seats available, but no upgrade inventory.

The only way to see the upgrade availability is to use a site called www.expertflyer.com. It has a paid subscription, but you can get 5 days for free to check it out. For the flights of interest, you'll want to look for 'C' inventory (under Awards and Upgrades). That is the upgrade inventory, which is independent of the open seats.

Good luck!

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Can 500-mile UG certificates be used internationally? If there is no C availability at the time your window opens, is there a waitlist that will definitely clear if a seat is available in the UG cabin?

Regarding mileage UGs, do you have to pay the co-pay if you go on the waitlist? Or only when it actually clears?

Do UGs have to be re-ticketed by a phone agent like they do on DL?
They can be used on short haul int'l but not to Europe, Asia, etc. From coach to first you're looking for X availability, and from coach to business R. From aa.com...

Upgrades may be used on American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection marketed and operated flights offering a First or Business Class cabin within and between the 50 United States, Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, The Bahamas, Bermuda, as well as between the United States and Central America (Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua or Panama).

For miles/copay, you're not charged the copay until the upgrade clears. These are reticketed, but an upgrade using 500mi'ers are not.
Many thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Asked this in status match thread but no response.

I want to do a status match after July 1 so it lasts all of next year. I have a TPAC itinerary that would get me enough EQM for the status match, but it will start in late June. Can I claim this itinerary even though it begins in June?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:27 pm

I want to do a status match after July 1 so it lasts all of next year. I have a TPAC itinerary that would get me enough EQM for the status match, but it will start in late June. Can I claim this itinerary even though it begins in June?

Thanks!
I'm assuming you're talking about the status challenge. You posted there less than 24 hours ago; be a little patient

First of all, I thought the cutoff date was June 16, when you'll keep the status until the end of the next status year. Call AA CS to verify that.

Next, you must fly all of the segments within the 3 month challenge period. You may backdate the start date, but that means, say, calling today and asking to start the challenge on April 1st so you can include a flight on April 3rd. You cannot start the challenge on April 16 and include a flight on April 3rd. But you can call on Apr. 16 to start the challenge Apr. 1st. Does that help?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
EQM? You need EQ Points. And it is the weekend, and FT is pretty slow on nice Spring weekend days.

In reply you can not have your cake and eat it too . Begin June 16, your status is extended one status year; begin prior to that date, and your status will extend through the end of February of the next calendar year. Begin June 16 and any Points you earn previously will not count.

And by the way, cross-posting is prohibited; posting the same question in more than one thread will result in deletion of one of them.

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
EQM? You need EQ Points. And it is the weekend, and FT is pretty slow on nice Spring weekend days.

In reply you can not have your cake and eat it too . Begin June 16, your status is extended one status year; begin prior to that date, and your status will extend through the end of February of the next calendar year. Begin June 16 and any Points you earn previously will not count.

And by the way, cross-posting is prohibited; posting the same question in more than one thread will result in deletion of one of them.

Thanks!
It can only be EQP, not EQM? I thought it could be either.

Yes I guess I should be patient, I am used to the DL forum where people jump down your throat almost instantly.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:34 pm

No, challenges must be earned only on EQ Points.

Yes I guess I should be patient, I am used to the DL forum where people jump down your throat almost instantly.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
No, challenges must be earned only on EQ Points.

Very valuable info, thanks.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA 1.2MM BIS 'LT' Gld, BA Bronze, AA Plat, now considering SWA.....
As mentioned by the Moderator, a challenge is based on EQ points not miles.
Having just learned this myself
The following fare codes will provide 1:1 miles to points
L M K V H W are the lowest fare category codes.
Avoid Q S O N G as these do not provide 1:1 equivalency.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by brp
welcome to ft.

I have a feeling that what they told you was not that "business was full" but that there was no upgrade space available. Those are different beasts. There can be seats available, but no upgrade inventory.

The only way to see the upgrade availability is to use a site called www.expertflyer.com. It has a paid subscription, but you can get 5 days for free to check it out. For the flights of interest, you'll want to look for 'c' inventory (under awards and upgrades). That is the upgrade inventory, which is independent of the open seats.

Good luck!

Cheers.
thank you very much!!!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Ok - I'm hoping one of the Mods will see this - I'm not sure where to post it.
(...and yes, I've used the search function here, read the FAQ and Wikis, couldn't find this anywhere)

Just hung up with the EXP desk and they told me "starting tomorrow EXP will be allowed to check 4 bags up to 75lbs each when flying AA metal to Europe. 3 bags when flying OW metal."

Wozers! I could not find this mentioned elsewhere - nor have I confirmed it past the sole phone agent that relayed the info to me. (Can't find it on AA.com either)

Thought this would be good info somewhere here on FT... just not sure where!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
Ok - I'm hoping one of the Mods will see this - I'm not sure where to post it.
(...and yes, I've used the search function here, read the FAQ and Wikis, couldn't find this anywhere)

Just hung up with the EXP desk and they told me "starting tomorrow EXP will be allowed to check 4 bags up to 75lbs each when flying AA metal to Europe. 3 bags when flying OW metal."

Wozers! I could not find this mentioned elsewhere - nor have I confirmed it past the sole phone agent that relayed the info to me. (Can't find it on AA.com either)

Thought this would be good info somewhere here on FT... just not sure where!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...eb-2013-a.html

Already in effect.

A search for "oneworld emerald baggage allowance" on Google yields similar threads on other oneworld airline forums on FT.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:02 am

Ensuring you get credit on a partner flight

Hi,

I'm taking a Finnair flight but want to make sure I get AA miles.

The flight was booked with a travel agent. They say they gave my info to AA, but the flight doesn't show up under My Trips on aa.com.

What do you experts do to make sure you're getting AA miles for a non AA flight?

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:15 am

Welcome to FT.

Earning AAdvantage miles on AY is pretty good - all published fares earn 100% of miles, whereas that is not true with some other oneworld airlines.

Have you tried looking for your trip on the Finnair site?

In the end, be sure AY has your AAdvantage number on your boarding passes, and retain those and the ticket number until your AA account shows the miles (or you have to send copies to make a missing mileage claim).

Originally Posted by dggoldst
Hi,

I'm taking a Finnair flight but want to make sure I get AA miles.

The flight was booked with a travel agent. They say they gave my info to AA, but the flight doesn't show up under My Trips on aa.com.

What do you experts do to make sure you're getting AA miles for a non AA flight?

Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2013, 9:19 am

And F, A, P, I, R, D, J, B and Y are the most lucrative, as they earn 1.5 points per base mile. (source link)

Originally Posted by aafreq
As mentioned by the Moderator, a challenge is based on EQ points not miles.
Having just learned this myself
The following fare codes will provide 1:1 miles to points
L M K V H W are the lowest fare category codes.
Avoid Q S O N G as these do not provide 1:1 equivalency.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.