Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Apr 16, 2013, 3:16 pm

Citi Free Checked Bag Benifit

I have the AAdvantage Citi Business card (also the personal Visa, but I'm planing to cancel it in a couple of weeks), which is supposed to provide 1 free checked bag for up to 4 people traveling on my itinerary. Today I booked one-way award tickets for my family of three (my FF account) and the fee for checked bags is listed as $25 for the first bag. Is that normal. At what point do they confirm that the bags are free? Is it when I go to check in the bags? Do I show my card or is it tied to my FF number?

Also, how does the Priority Boarding benefit for the card work? Does the computer automatically assign us priority boarding when we check in?

I think I may have flown AA once, years ago, on a trip booked by my employer, but other than that I have absolutely no experience with this airline.

Thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Nope. The flight must be coded as, and operated by, HA in order to fly it on an AAdvantage award.
Thanks for the reply!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GfL, Lufthansa SEN, Hilton Diamond, misc other stuff
WiFi All Day pass vs. 24h?

I read the various Gogo/WiFi threads and couldn't find the definite answer to this. The 24h pass on the Gogo site is good for multiple flights on the same airline. On aa.com/wifi I can buy an 'All Day pass' which doesn't have an specifics on the duration, segments etc. They are the same price. dstan mentioned that the Gogo 24h pass does NOT work on AA, though.
I have LAS-LAX-MCO-MIA-SJU coming up with LAX-MCO being the obvious red-eye flight. Would I be able to use the 'All Day pass' from AA for a 24h period and thus on all the segments or would it be limited to a shorter duration?
I would be getting the mobile device flavor (if that makes a difference).
Old Apr 16, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
For FromMAtoAZ: thanks!
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:40 pm

Business to First upgrade.

In May I am flying a RT LAX-NRT in business I class and am going for the platinum challenge and that time. What is AA policy on international upgrade from business class to first. Does it happen often for free or rarely. Also do I get the 100% miles on my return leg as that will be the one making me platinum. Also my spouse will be in first on an award ticket, do they let us switch seats during flight.

Thanks
Old Apr 17, 2013, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by flatseatlover
In May I am flying a RT LAX-NRT in business I class and am going for the platinum challenge and that time. What is AA policy on international upgrade from business class to first. Does it happen often for free or rarely. Also do I get the 100% miles on my return leg as that will be the one making me platinum. Also my spouse will be in first on an award ticket, do they let us switch seats during flight.

Thanks
AA will be happy to upgrade you for 25k miles +$550 each way, or you could use a SWU if you can get a hold of one. This assumes that First upgrade space is open (it's usually much easier to find than Y->J upgrade space).

Barring certain oversold situations, which are very rare and should never be counted on, AA doesn't do any sort of free upgrades on long hauls.

On the flight that puts you over to PLT you'll get full 100% bonus miles.

I'm not sure what the official policy is on switching seats between cabins (probably not allowed), but if you let the FA know when you get on it probably won't be an issue once or twice. YMMV depending on the FAs.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by GertieGo
I have the AAdvantage Citi Business card (also the personal Visa, but I'm planing to cancel it in a couple of weeks), which is supposed to provide 1 free checked bag for up to 4 people traveling on my itinerary. Today I booked one-way award tickets for my family of three (my FF account) and the fee for checked bags is listed as $25 for the first bag. Is that normal. At what point do they confirm that the bags are free? Is it when I go to check in the bags? Do I show my card or is it tied to my FF number?

Also, how does the Priority Boarding benefit for the card work? Does the computer automatically assign us priority boarding when we check in?

I think I may have flown AA once, years ago, on a trip booked by my employer, but other than that I have absolutely no experience with this airline.

Thanks!
I'm sure this is a really stupid question, but if someone would help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thank you in advance!
Old Apr 17, 2013, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by GertieGo

Thanks!
Assuming you are traveling and on the same PNR, yes, your whole family will get the free checked bag benefit. All the benefits of the card are tied in with your FF number, so as long as that's on the reservation, you're good to go.

Since you haven't flown AA in a while, I'd get my boarding passes before I leave for the airport just to make sure the Group 1 boarding is on it. (Note that Group 1 boarding is not the same as PriorityAAccess)
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:13 am

JJeffrey

Thank you so much much for the comprehensive response.
How can go about getting an SWU? Does being platinum get me some?
Old Apr 17, 2013, 9:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
SWUs (there rs a great thread on them, search must use "quotation marks" around anything that is super-common or three of fewer characters - use Advanced search tiles only return by titles) are earned when you are Executive Platinum (8 when you earn it) and when you cross a Million Miler node (I can't remember, but think it's 2 for each 1 million Base, or Elite-Qualifying, miles on AA and its partners credited to your AAdvantage account).

Short answer: no, being Platinum does not earn you any unless you cross a MM node.

JJeffrey

Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:17 am

JJeffrey

Originally Posted by JDiver
SWUs (there rs a great thread on them, search must use "quotation marks" around anything that is super-common or three of fewer characters - use Advanced search tiles only return by titles) are earned when you are Executive Platinum (8 when you earn it) and when you cross a Million Miler node (I can't remember, but think it's 2 for each 1 million Base, or Elite-Qualifying, miles on AA and its partners credited to your AAdvantage account).

Short answer: no, being Platinum does not earn you any unless you cross a MM node.
But those with SWUs can gift them to others.

(And also it's 4 per MM )
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:24 am

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Assuming you are traveling and on the same PNR, yes, your whole family will get the free checked bag benefit. All the benefits of the card are tied in with your FF number, so as long as that's on the reservation, you're good to go.

Since you haven't flown AA in a while, I'd get my boarding passes before I leave for the airport just to make sure the Group 1 boarding is on it. (Note that Group 1 boarding is not the same as PriorityAAccess)
Thank you, Apieinthesky! I appreciate your help!

So, I shouldn't be concerned now, that my reservation includes the baggage fee? Just check the boarding passes when I print them (24 hours beforehand) and then call if the group 1 boarding isn't on there, as that would be a sign that the free bag isn't on there either.
Old Apr 17, 2013, 10:40 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
4 per MM, thanks; you'd think I'd know - last time, I crossed 5MM and earned EXP nearly simultaneously and got 12 SWUs. It's never enough...

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
But those with SWUs can gift them to others.

(And also it's 4 per MM )
Old Apr 17, 2013, 11:47 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
OK so I have a credit form a cancelled flight, that I need to ticket and fly before 5/12/13. OOPS have not used it yet. Is there any way to extend this. Like buying a refundable ticket. I just don't know what I'd use it for prior to that date. UUGH.
Old Apr 18, 2013, 6:55 am

We're flying on AA to LHR, terminal 3 and connecting to BA, terminal 5 (all using aa miles) in Business Class. Can we use the AA arrivals lounge or will there be somewhere we can shower in Terminal 5 for BA? Will we have to clear customs and go back in through security at terminal 5?

We're AA gold, so exp privileges do not apply. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.