Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 13, 13, 9:57 am

Please review my award travel itinerary and infant tix question

Hello,

We are flying LAX->TLV (11 days in Israel) on El Al, and then flying TLV->CDG (4 days) and before heading back home to LAX on Tahiti Nui.

Total cost is 85K miles in coach. Two adults, one kid and one infant. Our plan is to buy our 3 tickets and then we'll have to call El Al directly to buy the infant ticket? The El Al rep seemed to be a little confused about the infant ticket since it's an award ticket through AA. Do I need to deal with Tahiti Nui for the return leg separately? We've bought infant tickets in the past online (Lufthansa) and at the airport (Delta) and it didn't seem to be a big deal, but this time seems a bit more complicated.

Any other suggestions based on this itinerary and/or airlines. We've traveled with kids before to a bunch of places so not worried about the 'traveling with kids' factor.

Thanks.
Old Apr 13, 13, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by sriirvine
Hello,

We are flying LAX->TLV (11 days in Israel) on El Al, and then flying TLV->CDG (4 days) and before heading back home to LAX on Tahiti Nui.

Total cost is 85K miles in coach. Two adults, one kid and one infant. Our plan is to buy our 3 tickets and then we'll have to call El Al directly to buy the infant ticket? The El Al rep seemed to be a little confused about the infant ticket since it's an award ticket through AA. Do I need to deal with Tahiti Nui for the return leg separately? We've bought infant tickets in the past online (Lufthansa) and at the airport (Delta) and it didn't seem to be a big deal, but this time seems a bit more complicated.

Any other suggestions based on this itinerary and/or airlines. We've traveled with kids before to a bunch of places so not worried about the 'traveling with kids' factor.

Thanks.
Can't help with the infant-ticketing issues, but if your award tickets are still on hold (i.e., not yet issued), keep in mind that you can add a one-way from LAX to certain Hawaiian destinations (even after a lengthy stopover at LAX) for no additional mileage.
Old Apr 13, 13, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA, Delta
Originally Posted by mitchandjeanette View Post
Hello, I am sending my son to Rome from LAX and using miles, can someone direct me to a forum that will tell me what airports to avoid because of high taxes and fees? He will be going from LAX to FCO, then ZRH to GOT, then GOT to LAX. I am finding the fees can be as much as $750 for the trip and have found it as small as $218 (if i remember right) He is not going until April 2014.

Or is there a list of Airport taxes/fees somewhere in flyer talk?

I have AA miles, but can use any airline that SPG allows points to miles transfer.
Ok, best to avoid LHR, I found DUS a "cheap" airport to fly through. Now one more question.

What would you say is the best airline to fly LAX to FCO? (Rome)
Old Apr 13, 13, 2:37 pm

Ok, best to avoid LHR, I found DUS a "cheap" airport to fly through. Now one more question.

What would you say is the best airline to fly LAX to FCO? (Rome)
Many here dislike LHR, but some, myself included, like LHR. It's an easy one stop for connections, and the lounges are very nice. There is a UK APD for departing, but that doesn't apply to arrivals or connections. Just avoid BA metal.

Best airline? With regards to what? You don't say what class of service you're looking to book. Any status?
Old Apr 13, 13, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA, Delta
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Best airline? With regards to what? You don't say what class of service you're looking to book. Any status?
No status with any airline, and economy will work (sorry son, lol). Can transfer my SPG points to many airlines.
Old Apr 13, 13, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
No status with any airline, and economy will work (sorry son, lol). Can transfer my SPG points to many airlines.
In coach, the best airline is the one you can find award availability on, closest to the dates you want.
Old Apr 14, 13, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Can't help with the infant-ticketing issues, but if your award tickets are still on hold (i.e., not yet issued), keep in mind that you can add a one-way from LAX to certain Hawaiian destinations (even after a lengthy stopover at LAX) for no additional mileage.
Thanks for the pointer! I had completely forgotten about this and we were already thinking about going to HI sometime next year!
Old Apr 15, 13, 1:03 am

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold
I am scheduled on AA 26 ICN to DFW in a few weeks (and back). My reservation still says "pending governmental approvals". Any word on if/when this is going to happen? I assume IF the US or Korea blocks the approval, other arrangements will be made.
Old Apr 15, 13, 9:32 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Not a newbie, but normally fly non-stop so do not have experience with connections...

Outbound is JFK-LHR-ARN booked as two AAnytime J awards AA JFK-LHR, BA LHR-ARN. 4 hour connection time between flights. My plan is to check in for the BA flight when I OLCI for the AA leg. Is there any reason to not check in for the BA leg prior to departure on the AA flight?

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 13, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, United Silver, IHG Plat, Choice Privileges Plat, HHonors Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by relangford View Post
I am scheduled on AA 26 ICN to DFW in a few weeks (and back). My reservation still says "pending governmental approvals". Any word on if/when this is going to happen? I assume IF the US or Korea blocks the approval, other arrangements will be made.
Check out this post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-approval.html

FYI, I searched this route today at aa.com, and noticed it no longer says pending governmental approval.
Old Apr 16, 13, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by miles4CDG View Post
Outbound is JFK-LHR-ARN booked as two AAnytime J awards AA JFK-LHR, BA LHR-ARN. 4 hour connection time between flights. My plan is to check in for the BA flight when I OLCI for the AA leg. Is there any reason to not check in for the BA leg prior to departure on the AA flight?
Do you have any bags? If yes, then I'd just wait till you get to the airport. The AA AAgents in the US can check you in for the BA flight and tag your bags all the way to ARN.

If no, then it makes no difference. Check-in for both flights online, print out both BPs, and off you go.

FYI, I'm guessing you have a 'normal' J award for LHR-ARN as AAytime's are only valid on AA metal.
Old Apr 16, 13, 11:33 am

I feel like I see 10% off coupons for AA floating around these forums and the blogs. Does anyone know where I might look for those? Any tips would be amazing.

I'm looking to book a trip to SJU over thanksgiving and the prices are pretty good ($815 rt for first), but I'd love to save an extra 10%. Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 16, 13, 11:44 am

Thanks for any help in advance. My question:

Can I use AA miles to fly a Virgin America operated flight with a Hawaiian Airlines code share? Ex: ORD-LAX on 5/27/13, HA 2525

-jabtravel
Old Apr 16, 13, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, SPG Plat/LT Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey View Post
Do you have any bags? If yes, then I'd just wait till you get to the airport. The AA AAgents in the US can check you in for the BA flight and tag your bags all the way to ARN.

If no, then it makes no difference. Check-in for both flights online, print out both BPs, and off you go.

FYI, I'm guessing you have a 'normal' J award for LHR-ARN as AAytime's are only valid on AA metal.

JJeffrey, thanks! No bags. Was just concerned there might be some issue in the case of a misconnect given that the legs are separate awards on different carriers (one ticket.)

Yes, I do have a "normal" J award LHR-ARN.
Old Apr 16, 13, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by jabtravel
Thanks for any help in advance. My question:

Can I use AA miles to fly a Virgin America operated flight with a Hawaiian Airlines code share? Ex: ORD-LAX on 5/27/13, HA 2525

-jabtravel
Nope. The flight must be coded as, and operated by, HA in order to fly it on an AAdvantage award.

Search this Thread