Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 11, 13, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by prawn86 View Post
Hi All,

I am moving to LA from MEL and will need to make 4 trips back to Aus Jan - April 2014. All the tickets i have looked at so far are deep discount and would only qualify for 0.5 miles. Any ideas what level AAdvantage level i would be up for, and how long it would last after my travel?

All this is new to me as i have never bothered with a FF program here in Aus, but will need one in the US

Any help appreciated
Can you confirm whether you're talking about Qantas tickets or AA tickets? The lowest fare buckets on Qantas earn no EQM/EQP. There are also discount economy fares on Qantas that earn 50% miles but 100% EQP, in which case 60,000 EQP will easily get you to AA PLT. Of course, al flights booked with an AA flight number receive full EQM.
Old Apr 11, 13, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
You would hold the status until the end of February, 2016, if you qualify in 2014.

If you book the AA codeshare you would get 100% miles. Have you priced those out?
Thanks. That is a good status period, i would be doing some other US domestic travel so might also get more miles that way, but the Aus trips are locked in essentially.

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Can you confirm whether you're talking about Qantas tickets or AA tickets? The lowest fare buckets on Qantas earn no EQM/EQP. There are also discount economy fares on Qantas that earn 50% miles but 100% EQP, in which case 60,000 EQP will easily get you to AA PLT. Of course, al flights booked with an AA flight number receive full EQM.
It really depends on the prices as it is for personal travel so i will need to be budget conscious.

The Jan trip looks as though it will be booked through AA (Q fare bucket) as it is the same price either way. Feb and March look like QAN (O fare bucket) as they are significantly cheaper, and April is too far out to book or check. Of course i could wait and hope that AA have a sale matching QAN at some stage, as i wont be booking for a few months yet.

If my calcs are correct, assuming and April QAN flight also i would get 37500 miles?

Also, on the AA website, what is the difference between:
"Base Miles (elite status qualifying)" & "Elite Qualifying Points per Mile Earned"?

As far as i can tell you can either earn status through gaining points or miles, is this correct?
Old Apr 11, 13, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by prawn86 View Post
Also, on the AA website, what is the difference between:
"Base Miles (elite status qualifying)" & "Elite Qualifying Points per Mile Earned"?

As far as i can tell you can either earn status through gaining points or miles, is this correct?
Yes, you can earn status via points or miles. There's an indepth discussion about these on the wiki. Basically, EQP are fare based and beneficial for pax buying expensive fares. For example, someone flying in F on a 2000 mile flight will earn 3000 EQ points, but just 2000 EQ miles.
Old Apr 11, 13, 8:30 am

Programs: AA Plat, United Silver, IHG Plat, Choice Privileges Plat, HHonors Silver, Global Entry
In February I booked a non-refundable international ticket and today the price dropped $800. Is there a way to get some of that difference back?
Old Apr 11, 13, 8:39 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by FromMAtoAZ View Post
In February I booked a non-refundable international ticket and today the price dropped $800. Is there a way to get some of that difference back?
Call AA and ask how much you could get back if you reticketed your current itinerary. (Depends largely on the change fee associated with your ticket.)

I've done this before and here's what happened:

Let's say my original ticket was $1000. Price drops to $600. Since I had a non-refundable ticket, ticket changes requires paying the change fee (for simplicity, let's say it was a $250 change fee).

The agent retickets my itinerary, telling me that I'd receive a $150 paper voucher in the mail ($400 fare difference - $250 change fee). Do note that paper vouchers expire one year after issue and do have certain restrictions.

If you're unfamiliar with AA's archaic paper vouchers, here's a good wiki page to read: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)

(Disclaimer: I use several AA paper vouchers each year and have never had an issue. They're not as convenient as other airlines' electronic versions, but still easy to use once you read the wiki. )
Old Apr 11, 13, 9:25 am

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Silly question time here - does Main Cabin Extra apply to 757s and MD80s, or is it only to be found on newly-delivered a/c?

Thx
Old Apr 11, 13, 9:34 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA MileagePlus, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
If you start your challenge on June 16 or after, it will be until Feb. 2015, otherwise it'll be until Feb. 2014.
Bummer - my flights are May 17 and May 31 - so I guess it is likely not worth it then?
Old Apr 11, 13, 10:59 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by JY1024 View Post
As of 31 Jan, all oneworld Emeralds will have additional checked baggage allowances: http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=53802

So based on your BA Gold status: If you're flying Y, you'll have 3 bag allowance; 4 if you're flying J/F. (All up to 70 lbs a piece.)

Please see the AA memo posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20367894-post25.html

Seems like either of your bag scenarios would be fine. Hope that helps.
Thank you, Sir! That is perfect.
Old Apr 11, 13, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Plat, United Silver, IHG Plat, Choice Privileges Plat, HHonors Silver, Global Entry
Originally Posted by JY1024 View Post
Call AA and ask how much you could get back if you reticketed your current itinerary. (Depends largely on the change fee associated with your ticket.)

I've done this before and here's what happened:

Let's say my original ticket was $1000. Price drops to $600. Since I had a non-refundable ticket, ticket changes requires paying the change fee (for simplicity, let's say it was a $250 change fee).

The agent retickets my itinerary, telling me that I'd receive a $150 paper voucher in the mail ($400 fare difference - $250 change fee). Do note that paper vouchers expire one year after issue and do have certain restrictions.

If you're unfamiliar with AA's archaic paper vouchers, here's a good wiki page to read: http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/Vouchers_(AA)

(Disclaimer: I use several AA paper vouchers each year and have never had an issue. They're not as convenient as other airlines' electronic versions, but still easy to use once you read the wiki. )
Thanks for your help. After finding the lower fare on aa.com and waiting on hold for about 40 minutes, mysteriously the cheaper fare disappeared when I tried to book it.
Old Apr 11, 13, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Silly question time here - does Main Cabin Extra apply to 757s and MD80s, or is it only to be found on newly-delivered a/c?

Thx
All of the 757s have MCE, and retrofitting of M80s has begun. Check this thread out, all the info you need.
Old Apr 11, 13, 7:58 pm

is it me or there's an issue w AA's site where it is not showing seat maps for any flights that we're trying to book today?
Old Apr 11, 13, 9:16 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AA EXP, Hilton Gold
I am doing a MR next week, Seattle to San Juan to Seattle. I would like to change flights both coming and going. However, when I start to make a change the reservation shows SEA to SEA and forces me to make two one way changes and of course costs go up. Any ideas as to how to make the round trip change less expensive?
Old Apr 12, 13, 9:46 am

Programs: UA (G), AA(P),AP (SE), hhonors (D), marriott rewards (G), Priority Club (G),National Emerald(EE)
non-oneworld partners

I'm still new to AA and would like to know. On the partner page, there's a list of all flying partners (http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...lines/main.jsp) whit whom to accrue miles and points etc.

When I click on a OneWorld partner, the header for the column says: Base Miles (elite status qualifying), which I assume would count toward status.

When I click on non-oneworld partner, the header says: Base Miles
no (elite status qualifying). Does it means that miles collected on Etihad for instance would not count toward status?

Thanks
Old Apr 12, 13, 10:30 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tremhug View Post
When I click on a OneWorld partner, the header for the column says: Base Miles (elite status qualifying), which I assume would count toward status.

When I click on non-oneworld partner, the header says: Base Miles
no (elite status qualifying). Does it means that miles collected on Etihad for instance would not count toward status?
That is correct. With a few exceptions (like flights on AS), if you want to earn status miles on non oneworld partners then you have to book the AA codeshare, if offered.
Old Apr 12, 13, 12:10 pm

Transfer points from other programs to AA

I am new to this game and want to fly to Italy this fall. What other point programs are good for collecting points and transfer them to AA miles?

I've heard SPG points transfer over well (1:1 plus a 5K bonus), but I'm wondering what other programs I should join or cards I should get so that I can fly free with my wife this fall.

Thanks for your help.

Stoils

Search this Thread