Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:58 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Apr 9, 13, 8:34 pm
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
So I tried to understand the AA website, but wasn't too sure. I am both BA Gold and AA Plat. So, which of the below gives me the highest baggage allowance. Or is it the same in all cases?

1. AA Plat in Y
2. OW Emerald (BA Gold) in Y
3. AA Plat in Y using stickers for F (presumably confirmed before check-in)

This is for a potential flight from IAH-JFK where I will need to take either 2 bags of about 65 lb each, or split them into 3 bags of under 50 lb each.

So which is my best option!?
Old Apr 10, 13, 7:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
AA's Policy when delayed domestic flights lead to tight Intl. connections

What's AA's policy/operating procedure (if they even have one) when a domestic flight that connectects to an international flight is delayed to a degree where the connection becomes a bit close for comfort and where that international flight is the only one to that destination that day? Does AA delay the intenational flight knowing that it may have a set of passengers stuck for 24hrs if the connection is missed or do they stick to viewing the two flights as seperate?

If it helps an example of this would be AA550 LAX-ORD connecting to AA153 ORD-NRT. If the first flight gets delayed too much and passengers miss 153 there doesn't appear to be another flight to TYO for 24hrs.
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Stripy View Post
What's AA's policy/operating procedure (if they even have one) when a domestic flight that connectects to an international flight is delayed to a degree where the connection becomes a bit close for comfort and where that international flight is the only one to that destination that day? Does AA delay the intenational flight knowing that it may have a set of passengers stuck for 24hrs if the connection is missed or do they stick to viewing the two flights as seperate?

If it helps an example of this would be AA550 LAX-ORD connecting to AA153 ORD-NRT. If the first flight gets delayed too much and passengers miss 153 there doesn't appear to be another flight to TYO for 24hrs.
Its difficult to say w/certainty. I've been on int'l flights that have been held for a couple of minutes to accommodate int'l pax. I've also been met at the connection to help me get to my int'l connection more quickly.

If you miss the connection, certainly the overnight is an option. Another option would be to find another route, or perhaps even another carrier.

If your actual itinerary is LAX-ORD-NRT, then the key would be an on time departure from LAX. If you are sitting at the gate at LAX and your departure time begins to get pushed back for whatever reason then be proactive: call AA - or go to the Admirals Club - and start seeking options to get from LAX to NRT directly.
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:52 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
If you are sitting at the gate at LAX and your departure time begins to get pushed back for whatever reason then be proactive: call AA - or go to the Admirals Club - and start seeking options to get from LAX to NRT directly.
Oh I'm all over that FL AAngel proactively protected me on the LAX-NRT direct then decided I should take it when it looked like the connection time in ORD was down to 25mins...and that was providing no further delays...great service. Now just have to hope to get Orginal Routing Credit.

Was just asking the Q as non-elites would probably not be able to do all this so was wondering what would happen to them.
Old Apr 10, 13, 1:46 pm

Programs: SPG, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, Gold Passport
Question...

Right now we have round trip JFK-LHR booked for late May/early June in F on a 77W at aanytime 125k per ticket per way 500k total.

I have no standing with AAdvantage as of now since i transfer all points in from SPG and enjoy the 25% bonus (so really 400k round trip).

What we really wanted to try was BA's first class on one leg, and also save 125k points in the process. But it looks like BA only opens up reward seats a week, even days, before the flight.

If I wanted to jump ship w/ my awards tickets on AA to go on BA for the departure flight what kind of fees/headaches would be involved?

Thank you.
Old Apr 10, 13, 1:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA MileagePlus, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Low Level Elite: AA vs. BA

So I am about to leave for a work trip where I am going BOS-BLR via BA. I have found I will accumulate almost enough miles to qualify (without the 4 AA legs which I can get later) for AA Gold and enough tier points for BA Bronze.

I usually fly on *A so this is new to me. There is possibility I would go to BLR again on BA this year.

Any suggestions?
Old Apr 10, 13, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by stompey5 View Post
So I am about to leave for a work trip where I am going BOS-BLR via BA. I have found I will accumulate almost enough miles to qualify (without the 4 AA legs which I can get later) for AA Gold and enough tier points for BA Bronze.

I usually fly on *A so this is new to me. There is possibility I would go to BLR again on BA this year.

Any suggestions?
Consider a challenge for AA PLT. Low level status does not get you much. AA has not enforced the 4 leg requirement for a while now.

Without telling us your travel patters, we can't give you much. Do you even plan on traveling oneworld at all, other than your next possible BLR trip? Which is worth more to you? BOS-LHR-BLR is ~8270 miles, so not enough for AA GLD. If you can get BA Bronze, maybe that's better so you can use the status on your next trip.
Old Apr 10, 13, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Consider a challenge for AA PLT. Low level status does not get you much. AA has not enforced the 4 leg requirement for a while now.

Without telling us your travel patters, we can't give you much. Do you even plan on traveling oneworld at all, other than your next possible BLR trip? Which is worth more to you? BOS-LHR-BLR is ~8270 miles, so not enough for AA GLD. If you can get BA Bronze, maybe that's better so you can use the status on your next trip.
Sorry I should have been more clear. My company pays for Premium Economy or Business Class (depending on how they are feeling that day). This would be my only travel for work would be this trip to BLR. I likely will be making a few trips later this year to MIA in econ. My other flights are award or booked on *A.
Old Apr 10, 13, 6:10 pm

Sorry I should have been more clear. My company pays for Premium Economy or Business Class (depending on how they are feeling that day). This would be my only travel for work would be this trip to BLR. I likely will be making a few trips later this year to MIA in econ. My other flights are award or booked on *A.
Got it. In that case, I would definitely do a challenge for Platinum on AA, as both Premium Economy and business/Club World will earn you 1.5 EQP per mile. So your one trip will get you over 10,000.
Old Apr 10, 13, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Got it. In that case, I would definitely do a challenge for Platinum on AA, as both Premium Economy and business/Club World will earn you 1.5 EQP per mile. So your one trip will get you over 10,000.
Will the challenge status last me until 2015 or 2014? I feel like i read that if my trip is before july 1 (which it will be) that the status will only be good until Feb 2014, is this true?
Old Apr 10, 13, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by aj23 View Post
Question...

Right now we have round trip JFK-LHR booked for late May/early June in F on a 77W at aanytime 125k per ticket per way 500k total.

I have no standing with AAdvantage as of now since i transfer all points in from SPG and enjoy the 25% bonus (so really 400k round trip).

What we really wanted to try was BA's first class on one leg, and also save 125k points in the process. But it looks like BA only opens up reward seats a week, even days, before the flight.

If I wanted to jump ship w/ my awards tickets on AA to go on BA for the departure flight what kind of fees/headaches would be involved?

Thank you.
The taxes assoc. w/BA award tickets are *very* high, easily $500+/ticket.
Old Apr 11, 13, 12:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by AJLondon View Post
So I tried to understand the AA website, but wasn't too sure. I am both BA Gold and AA Plat. So, which of the below gives me the highest baggage allowance. Or is it the same in all cases?

1. AA Plat in Y
2. OW Emerald (BA Gold) in Y
3. AA Plat in Y using stickers for F (presumably confirmed before check-in)

This is for a potential flight from IAH-JFK where I will need to take either 2 bags of about 65 lb each, or split them into 3 bags of under 50 lb each.

So which is my best option!?
As of 31 Jan, all oneworld Emeralds will have additional checked baggage allowances: http://www.oneworld.com/news-informa...objectID=53802

So based on your BA Gold status: If you're flying Y, you'll have 3 bag allowance; 4 if you're flying J/F. (All up to 70 lbs a piece.)

Please see the AA memo posted here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20367894-post25.html

Seems like either of your bag scenarios would be fine. Hope that helps.
Old Apr 11, 13, 12:31 am

Will the challenge status last me until 2015 or 2014? I feel like i read that if my trip is before july 1 (which it will be) that the status will only be good until Feb 2014, is this true?
If you start your challenge on June 16 or after, it will be until Feb. 2015, otherwise it'll be until Feb. 2014.
Old Apr 11, 13, 3:40 am

Hi All,

I am moving to LA from MEL and will need to make 4 trips back to Aus Jan - April 2014. All the tickets i have looked at so far are deep discount and would only qualify for 0.5 miles. Any ideas what level AAdvantage level i would be up for, and how long it would last after my travel?

All this is new to me as i have never bothered with a FF program here in Aus, but will need one in the US

Any help appreciated
Old Apr 11, 13, 4:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA EXP 3.6MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Four RTs LAX-MEL would be about 60,000 miles, but being that you're only getting 50% miles would drop you down to 30,000 miles. You would get the lowest elite level, Gold., at 25,000 miles. Link to Gold membership guide:
http://www.aa.com/content/images/AAd...mber_Guide.pdf

You would hold the status until the end of February, 2016, if you qualify in 2014.

If you book the AA codeshare you would get 100% miles. Have you priced those out?

Tom in London

Search this Thread