Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Paulchili
If that is indeed the case, the OW alliance or the whole joint BA/AA TA venture agreement is not much help, is it?
Any advice on this matter is appreciated.
TIA
The entire AA/BA JBV is not much help because you can't get these taxes refunded? Hyperbole, much?

Anyway, you have Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs to blame, not AA or BA. To avoid APD on separate tickets they must be sold in conjunction and reference each other, which is not possible after purchase.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by HongKonger
Is it possible to search for a specific fare class of ticket on AA.com?
No, but what are you trying to accomplish?

If you need a minimum fare class to meet a challenge or qualify for a bonus, you can put a lower class ticket on hold, then call in and request it be up-fared to the desired class.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
The entire AA/BA JBV is not much help because you can't get these taxes refunded? Hyperbole, much?

Anyway, you have Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs to blame, not AA or BA. To avoid APD on separate tickets they must be sold in conjunction and reference each other, which is not possible after purchase.
How exactly is the JBV helpful if you cannot combine tickets on two JBV partners that are also OW members; or that you cannot buy those awards at the same time as BA flyers can? If this was possible, I could have bought the entire award at once and avoided $500 in fees (and used fewer miles as well). At the very least, if these could be combined, I would pay the change fee which would be much less than $500. That to me would a useful JBV.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
How exactly is the JBV helpful if you cannot combine tickets on two JBV partners that are also OW members; or that you cannot buy those awards at the same time as BA flyers can? If this was possible, I could have bought the entire award at once and avoided $500 in fees (and used fewer miles as well). At the very least, if these could be combined, I would pay the change fee which would be much less than $500. That to me would a useful JBV.
Being able to book AA coded BA operated flights and redeem miles on BA transatlantic are two features of the JBV that I enjoy.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by BrewerSEA
Being able to book AA coded BA operated flights and redeem miles on BA transatlantic are two features of the JBV that I enjoy.
I am happy for you and I am pretty sure you are in a great minority in at least one of those features as not too many people choose to redeem miles on BA operated TA flights (for obvious reasons).
I would like to enjoy the features I referred to in my post.
Obviously, YMMV
Old Apr 4, 2013, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

We'll be flying from SFO to CPT next February. Since I knew that the awards for the LHR-CPT segments in J go fast, I booked that with my BA Avios at T-350 and than I booked my AA award SFO-LHR 3 weeks later with AA miles.
My assumption proved to be correct as at T-330 there are no BA awards for the LHR-CPT at all around that time.
I was hoping to get the Air Passenger Duty (UK) fee (around $500 for the 2 of us) back as we are now connecting at LHR rather than departing from LHR but I am finding out that this cannot be done as they are 2 separate awards.
If that is indeed the case, the OW alliance or the whole joint BA/AA TA venture agreement is not much help, is it?
Any advice on this matter is appreciated.
TIA
Have you spoken to AA about this, or only BA? There has been at least one report on FT of AA being able to combine a BA ticket with an AA ticket post-issuance for purposes of refunding the UK APD. In that case, however, the APD was associated with the AA ticket, not the BA ticket. But I would still give AA a call to see if they can do anything.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
No. See my post #851 two pages back.
Aha I missed that one. That's kinda inconvenient but c'est la vie.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by swag
No, but what are you trying to accomplish?

If you need a minimum fare class to meet a challenge or qualify for a bonus, you can put a lower class ticket on hold, then call in and request it be up-fared to the desired class.
150% EQM bonus, possibly meeting a challenge/bonus.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum & Hilton HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Your class of ticket is irrelevant in terms of your position on the upgrade list (unless it is full fare Y/B). What matters is your elite status (which I'm assuming you have none now) and your check in time.

I'm not the greatest at gauging upgrade chances...but as of right now, your flight is very open. Saturday mid-day is good. Of course, having no elite status will hurt.

Here's a possible alternative. Find out what the change fee is for your ticket. (Or maybe someone else here will know it off the top of his/her head). On Nov. 23, AA 101 LHR-JFK on the 77W has plenty of C inventory (Award upgrades from Y-->J come out of the C bucket). From JFK-LAX, AA133 is showing C3, AA181 C0, AA21 C2, and AA185 C1. If your dates are flexible, AA137 LHR-LAX on Nov. 22 is showing C3, and AA137 on Nov. 24 is showing C2. All flights mentioned have availability in the O class, the lowest deep discount economy bucket, so fare difference should be minimal.

If you call, explain your situation (that you're going on your honeymoon and you want to put your wife in J), and ask nicely, perhaps the agent will waive the change fee. It doesn't hurt to call more than once.

I called the aadvantage desk and followed your advice, it took a few times but it worked. I got the upgrade into business on the next days flight with no flight change fee. I was really impressed with how the agent treated me and how hard she worked to help me with my grand honeymoon plans. I would like to thank you again for all your help.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

AA has code shares on CX and JL between NRT and HKG, right? But when I search for flights on AA.com, I can find the CX code shares HKG-NRT outbound but on my return I can't find any code shares NRT-HKG.

The DFW-NRT flight arrives in NRT at 4-something PM. According to CX's timetable there is at least one daily CX flight and one daily JL flight leaving for HKG well after 4 pm.

Am I missing something?

Also, when searching a multi-city itinerary and checking the option for AA or OW flights (rather than just AA), I get a system error.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Have you spoken to AA about this, or only BA? There has been at least one report on FT of AA being able to combine a BA ticket with an AA ticket post-issuance for purposes of refunding the UK APD. In that case, however, the APD was associated with the AA ticket, not the BA ticket. But I would still give AA a call to see if they can do anything.
Thank you Guv - I have spoken to 2 different AA agents (as well as a BA agent)and there is no way to combine them or getting any UK APD back.
In some ways it is strange as I am obviously transiting LHR with OW partners (and JBV partners) and no longer departing from LHR.
It's too bad but at least I have 2 J tickets SFO-CPT which I could not have gotten through AA alone - c'est la vie.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:12 pm
Suspended

This is an airline ticketing decision in no way mandated by UK regulations. The APD is assessed on airlines, not passengers.
Old Apr 4, 2013, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by HongKonger
150% EQM bonus, possibly meeting a challenge/bonus.
There is no EQM bonus for fare class. Different classes do earn different EQP.

Originally Posted by D-Town714
I called the aadvantage desk and followed your advice, it took a few times but it worked. I got the upgrade into business on the next days flight with no flight change fee. I was really impressed with how the agent treated me and how hard she worked to help me with my grand honeymoon plans. I would like to thank you again for all your help.
I'm glad it worked out for you. Enjoy your honeymoon!
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:11 pm

I am unclear on how long I would maintain elite status. If I did the platinum challenge today and met the requirements 2 weeks from now how long would I be platinum, Feb 2014 or Feb 2015. Thanks
Old Apr 4, 2013, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by flatseatlover
I am unclear on how long I would maintain elite status. If I did the platinum challenge today and met the requirements 2 weeks from now how long would I be platinum, Feb 2014 or Feb 2015. Thanks
Feb 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.