Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2013, 8:00 pm
Suspended

I bought the go-go in flight for 3 hrs on a sfo-ord flight. 45 minutes into it my lappy needed a charge but the seat power was broken all through the first class cabin. Do I have grounds to complain given that I was not able to use my go go credit I had purchased because of it?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
What's to lose?

Originally Posted by EL3V3N
I bought the go-go in flight for 3 hrs on a sfo-ord flight. 45 minutes into it my lappy needed a charge but the seat power was broken all through the first class cabin. Do I have grounds to complain given that I was not able to use my go go credit I had purchased because of it?
Old Jan 5, 2013, 9:13 pm

Thanks. I will just keep checking.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 1:00 am

I want to a book a ticket in a fare bucket that can be used for Business ExtrAA upgrades.

However, all fares on AA.com are either the bottom deep-discount fares or the top refundable fares, and nothing in between.

How can I get it to give me one of the fares in the middle?

(I remember the old booking system used to list a lot more fares.)

Last edited by nall; Jan 6, 2013 at 1:05 am
Old Jan 6, 2013, 2:04 am

Programs: The red, white, blue and silver one....
Originally Posted by JDiver
Which business class lounge? Better yet, you might wish to read the LHR / London Heathrow T3 Admirals Club, Flagship, oneworld Lounges (consolidated) thread.
ahh thank you! shall be doing some reading now!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by EL3V3N
What are you hoping for?

If you contact AA, I'd expect a few miles as compensation for the broken seat power. If you contact Gogo, they may offer you a pass for future use, even though it was AA's fault.

I'd be surprised if either one offers a refund of the cost of the pass.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by nall
I want to a book a ticket in a fare bucket that can be used for Business ExtrAA upgrades.

However, all fares on AA.com are either the bottom deep-discount fares or the top refundable fares, and nothing in between.

How can I get it to give me one of the fares in the middle?

(I remember the old booking system used to list a lot more fares.)
Here's what you can do. Choose the deep discount fare, put it on hold, then call AA to upfare it to the booking code you want. Then hang up and purchase it online to avoid the phone booking fee, unless you're EXP, in which case it doesn't matter.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:05 pm

I was considering using my miles to fly from DTW to India (ie Delhi, or Mumbai or BLR).

The rate pay for an economy ticket is around 1200-1400 typically. With AA miles, it flies via British Airways and is coming to around 500-600 in taxes. Anyone know if there are any other partner airlines or better options with AA to get to India?

Does anyone know how many miles it takes to travel within India using AA miles (perhaps using Jet Airways). I think based on the award chart it is 35K r/t, but it seems higher than US domestic flights so wanted to confirm.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by earthshine
I was considering using my miles to fly from DTW to India (ie Delhi, or Mumbai or BLR).

The rate pay for an economy ticket is around 1200-1400 typically. With AA miles, it flies via British Airways and is coming to around 500-600 in taxes. Anyone know if there are any other partner airlines or better options with AA to get to India?

Does anyone know how many miles it takes to travel within India using AA miles (perhaps using Jet Airways). I think based on the award chart it is 35K r/t, but it seems higher than US domestic flights so wanted to confirm.
AA has lots of partners that fly to India, but award travel on most of them cannot be booked on aa.com. Call AA and ask about travel other than BA.

AA partners that serve one or more cities in India include Jet, Royal Jordanian, El Al, Gulf Air, Etihad, and Finnair. Royal Jordanian even flies out of DTW (but probably not every day of the week).

Keep in mind that if you can get a cash roundtrip for $1,200-1,400, you probably will be getting less than 1.5 cents per mile in value on a Coach redemption to India after government taxes/fees are added to the cost of your award.

And yes, a one-way award within the Middle East/India zone costs 17,500 AAdvantage miles.

Edited to add: As JJeffrey correctly points out below, a one-way Coach award for travel wholly within India costs only 10,000 AAdvantage miles.

Last edited by guv1976; Jan 6, 2013 at 7:52 pm
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by earthshine

If you're traveling in the off-peak time (Oct 15 to May 15), for an economy award you can save a few miles by booking it as 2 tickets, US-Europe (20k) and Europe-India (20K). Saves 5k miles vs. a US-India award (45k). Same flights and you could stopover in Europe if you wanted.

Also, India is included in the "wholly within select countries" portion of the AA award chart, so an economy award within India would only be 10k each way.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Also, India is included in the "wholly within select countries" portion of the AA award chart, so an economy award within India would only be 10k each way."

Thanks for catching the "wholly within" provision for travel inside India. I missed that.

And yes, for off-peak Coach travel, going via Europe will save some miles, but taxes and fees might be higher, depending on the particular itinerary. On the other hand, if one wants to have a stopover in Europe, that's an additional benefit to such a routing.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:12 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I will be flying HKG-ORD on Cathay Pacific in F next week. I have a 3hr layover before I fly AA ORD-BOS. Do I get any lounge access anywhere in ORD and if so, what is the best lounge to use?

Thanks as always.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 6:50 am

Unhappy lost Kindle in Frankfurt - American Airlines

I left my Kindle on an American Air flight from DFW to Frankfurt. AA's website says I have to contact the local lost and found for international issues. Does anybody know who I can contact to find my Kindle?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624
I will be flying HKG-ORD on Cathay Pacific in F next week. I have a 3hr layover before I fly AA ORD-BOS. Do I get any lounge access anywhere in ORD and if so, what is the best lounge to use?

Thanks as always.
A definite yes for the first part.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 7:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jodoco
I left my Kindle on an American Air flight from DFW to Frankfurt. AA's website says I have to contact the local lost and found for international issues. Does anybody know who I can contact to find my Kindle?
Call the Frankfurt airport lost-and-found and see if they'll give you the phone number for AA lost-and-found in Frankfurt: +49 (0) 69 690-66359

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.