Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
In order to get from Vienna to Cleveland on an AA award, you will need to change planes twice: once in Europe and once at a city in the USA from which AA flies to Cleveland. Flying through London (BA) will be very expensive, so it's best to use a different partner. Award flights departing Vienna on AB can be booked online, with the transatlantic flight on AB or AA itself. But award travel on IB via Madrid is also possible, and award flights on IB cannot be booked online. You may wish to check the schedule at the AA website, and then phone AA to find out if award travel is available.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
There are 2 seats right now in Y on Oct. 1, VIE-DUS-MIA-CLE. No overnight layovers.

Two seats in business will be hard to come by unless you take BA across the pond and pay their ripoff fuel surcharges. I'm also looking for 2 J awards back from Europe around that time...1 seat is easier, but 2 is tough.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:34 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
On September 30, IB has a flight that leaves VIE at 6:50 AM and gets you to CLE at 6:25 PM. The route is VIE-MAD-ORD-CLE. I did not check about October 1. You would need to phone AA to find out about award availability.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by JPG3392
Flying through London (BA) will be very expensive, so it's best to use a different partner.
This is not true if one avoids BA on the TATL segment. Short segments like VIE-LHR will carry more nominal fees.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks to members who have done some grunt work and found flights; I would book them ASAP.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:04 pm

Wink

thank you all so much..looking tonight..i know you would all help out...i have learned so much on this site
Old Mar 24, 2013, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by dave999z
Thanks! That really simplified things. I called and put the IAD-AUH-DEL//BOM-AUH-IAD on EY itinerary on hold. Other than a British Airways flight (which has crazy taxes), or airlines that don't accept Advantage miles, this was the best itinerary I could find as far as total travel time. Some of them (including Cathay) would be just way too long. The times in India are not ideal (inbound lands in Delhi at 3:30 AM, outbound leaves Mumbai at 4:50 AM), but there's not much I can do about that.

One other thing... I reserved business class for now, but I'm wondering if that was smart. It's 90k miles roundtrip for economy, or 130k miles roundtrip for business class. So, question: How is business class on Etihad? Is it worth spending 1.5 times the number of miles just to fly business instead of economy?

I guess an equally important question is... how is economy on Etihad? If it's quite good, whereas their business class is nothing special, then I should just do economy. But if their economy is awful and their business is stellar, then I should do business.
Never fly EY but IMHO the worst J is always much better than the best Y.
Also the little miles difference fully justify the use of J if available.
Except in an emergency situation, I'll never burn miles for an Y award. (Just pay for a Y ticket)
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:21 am

If you buy AA ticket on the Kayak.com website do you still get elite miles

My questions is regarding buy AA flights on other websites like kayak, expedia etc. They seem to have better prices. So I wonder if I book them through this means will I be able to get the same amount of elite miles?

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Luis Lipe Fernandez
My questions is regarding buy AA flights on other websites like kayak, expedia etc. They seem to have better prices. So I wonder if I book them through this means will I be able to get the same amount of elite miles?

Thanks
Yes. Usually, Expedia books you into a fare that earns miles. Kayak.com just sends you to AA.com to book.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
I have an award flight for two coming up from JFK-LHR.

I noticed that most of business and first are currently unoccupied (in fact the plane is only about 1/3-1/2 full)

Are there any options to get this award ticket upgraded (with cash?) to a first ticket? I did searches and obviously SWU, stickers, etc are not applicable.

Thanks
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by austin_modern

I noticed that most of business and first are currently unoccupied (in fact the plane is only about 1/3-1/2 full)

Are there any options to get this award ticket upgraded (with cash?) to a first ticket? I did searches and obviously SWU, stickers, etc are not applicable.

Thanks
If there is award inventory available in first, then you may upfare your award and pay the difference in miles, generally without fee.

Otherwise, you must rely on a load factor based upgrade (search LFBU, we have a consolidated thread on that) at the airport. Unreliable, but you may get an offer. From the US to Europe should be about $500 from coach to business. Not sure about business to first, but it would likely be more. You don't say which class of service you're currently ticketed in, but double upgrades are generally not possible.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Smile

Originally Posted by austin_modern

Thanks
Yeppp, unfortunately, award tickets are not upgrade-able using any method :-(.

Only method that could work and that I can think of is if you can woo the Gate Agent to give you an F borading pass or may be cabin crew can let you fly in F
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA 2MM, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Do you need to be flying the same airline as your elite status in order to use the "premium" security line?

I have status on AA, but have to fly on WN occasionally. Today at SNA, for the first time, I was told that ticket needs to be same airline to use the premium security line.
There is a sign that clearly states AA elites are allowed to use that line, and the sign does not say anything about needing to be flying on that airline.

I suppose this makes sense, but I'm still curious why they would only start enforcing it now. I guess I could have entered security on the AA terminal and then walked over to my gate inside security, or perhaps I could start carrying around a "dummy" AA boarding pass to appease the overzealous line troll?
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:08 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
If there is award inventory available in first, then you may upfare your award and pay the difference in miles, generally without fee.

Otherwise, you must rely on a load factor based upgrade (search LFBU, we have a consolidated thread on that) at the airport. Unreliable, but you may get an offer. From the US to Europe should be about $500 from coach to business. Not sure about business to first, but it would likely be more. You don't say which class of service you're currently ticketed in, but double upgrades are generally not possible.
Thanks for the pointer for LFBU. I had not seen that thread prior.

I'm in Plebian coach exit row on a 777. :P

Thanks, this helped a lot.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by fromfall98
Yeppp, unfortunately, award tickets are not upgrade-able using any method :-(.

Only method that could work and that I can think of is if you can woo the Gate Agent to give you an F borading pass or may be cabin crew can let you fly in F
if I woo the gate agent or crew, they may send me back to Y

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.