[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

 
Old Mar 9, 13, 11:08 pm
  #646  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: PVD
Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Posts: 133
Best AC at DFW?

I haven't flown a whole lot of AA flights (my flying has mostly been NW/DL to MSP for family reasons and WN around LAS/PHX/SAN for work) in my life. I booked a trip on AA to BOS through DFW for my family in September. We'll be arriving from SAN on AA 1100 and returning from BOS on AA 1365 with 2+ hour layovers in each direction. I have 2 AC passes from a recent Citi AA card signup and was planning on using one in each direction. From searching the FT forums, it seems I should be able to get my wife and daughter (2 1/2 at the time of travel) in on one pass. I realize there are several AC's in DFW... does anyone have a recommendation on the best one for us given the terminals we'll most likely be arriving at and considering that we have a child with us? We're just looking for a place to avoid heavy crowds and hang out for a bit.
SANbound is offline  
Old Mar 10, 13, 6:20 am
  #647  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 26
Can anyone advise for sure if when traveling on sub load staff travel ID tickets on AA, can you purchase a 30 day club membership and use lounges. Probably an easier way to answer the question would be do they scan boarding passes and therefor know what type of ticket you are on as you enter the lounge or do they just look at the boarding pass and membership card/printout. Thanks for any advice
A380Flier is offline  
Old Mar 10, 13, 7:23 am
  #648  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 9
JDiver, Thanks will check out the link, appreciate the input.
Gder27 is offline  
Old Mar 10, 13, 10:57 am
  #649  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,512
"Best" is often a matter of personal preference.

D is the newest, very nice tarmac views, large, plenty of computers and seating, same food and beverages on offer as at the others.

A, C and D (not B) have children's rooms.

A is the old international lounge, and for those of us returning from a long or redeye flight, it offers the less-used but best "rain" type showers and a workout room. It has a quiet area that has comfortable seating with ottomans, though they removed the Bose music stations with headsets some time ago, and two TV lounges. It may be the least-used club because of its location. (When you enter the AC lobby from the elevators, turn around and to your left is the old Arrivals Lounge, to your right the old Flagship Lounge - the latter is now the AA employee NRTSA lounge, iirc.)

Traveling with a child, some of us would look at our connections first - e.g. arrive at C, depart A, go to A to wait for the departure, rather than looking for a "best" seeking the most convenient, as there are not so many major differences other than what is posted above (if I have missed anything, more knowledgeable members will be along soon enough to fil lin gaps).

Caveat: With a one day pass, unless it is a pass I have not seen that specifically states you have a guest privilege, I do not believe you are allowed any guests (unlike the thirty day or annual membership) other than your young child. You will be able to use other Clubs on your day of travel.

Threads of interest to you (clickable links): Admirals Club 1 day pass and 30 day membership questions >=2012 (consolidated)

AA's 'better' US lounges / Admirals Club.

DFW / Dallas Fort Worth Admirals Club / Clubs (consolidated)


Originally Posted by SANbound View Post
I haven't flown a whole lot of AA flights (my flying has mostly been NW/DL to MSP for family reasons and WN around LAS/PHX/SAN for work) in my life. I booked a trip on AA to BOS through DFW for my family in September. We'll be arriving from SAN on AA 1100 and returning from BOS on AA 1365 with 2+ hour layovers in each direction. I have 2 AC passes from a recent Citi AA card signup and was planning on using one in each direction. From searching the FT forums, it seems I should be able to get my wife and daughter (2 1/2 at the time of travel) in on one pass. I realize there are several AC's in DFW... does anyone have a recommendation on the best one for us given the terminals we'll most likely be arriving at and considering that we have a child with us? We're just looking for a place to avoid heavy crowds and hang out for a bit.
JDiver is offline  
Old Mar 10, 13, 11:09 am
  #650  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,512
Not exactly sure what "sub load staff Travel" is, but when I use the AC they require photo ID and someting else - they usually ask for a boarding pass, I usually do not show it unless I am requesting Flagship Lounge access - I merely give them my FFN so they can look up my membership, or show my CitiBank Executive MasterCard (one agent in MIA was clueless that it shows my FFN and wanted to refer me to someone else with a queue, so I had to tell her my FFN and point it out on the card), or in your case, possibly the thirty day "pass".

As a NonRev / NRTSA you would not be allowed access with a Day Pass:

● Active AMR employees are not eligible to purchase or use a day pass for their personal use when traveling on a non-revenue ticket.
A thirty day "pass" is actually a thirty day membership - you do not have to be flying that day to gain access, so no boarding pass is actually needed. Anyone can purchase a thirty day (or annual) membership.

Membership

Membership is open to all persons 18 years of age or older.
See: Admirals Club 1 day pass and 30 day membership questions >=2012 (consolidated)

If you have several upcoming trips, a 30-Day Membership has the same benefits as above PLUS all the great benefits of our annual members, but is limited to only a consecutive 30 day period.

30-Day Pass (sic)charge is $99 per Visitor*
Within 30 days of the expiration of the 30 day membership, an annual membership may be purchased at the renewal rate based on current AAdvantage® tier level with applicable promotion code. If annual membership is purchased after the 30 day period, new annual membership rates apply.

30 day memberships may be purchased online, in any of our Admirals Club lounges, or by calling Admirals Club Member Services at 800-237-7971.

BUY NOW

*The 30-day individual membership provides access to all Admirals Club lounges. At partner lounges, guest access is subject to the policies of each lounge partner. No membership card will be issued. The membership fee is $99. No discounted renewal rates are available. Membership may commence the day of purchase or you may select a date in the future that is within 90 days of the purchase date. Must be 18 years of age to purchase or hold an Admirals Club membership. Membership may not be purchased with AAdvantage miles. Membership is non-refundable and non-transferrable.
Originally Posted by A380Flier View Post
Can anyone advise for sure if when traveling on sub load staff travel ID tickets on AA, can you purchase a 30 day club membership and use lounges. Probably an easier way to answer the question would be do they scan boarding passes and therefor know what type of ticket you are on as you enter the lounge or do they just look at the boarding pass and membership card/printout. Thanks for any advice
JDiver is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 9:19 am
  #651  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 471
Hey guys and gals,

I'm flying in F on a 738 to Miami this Thursday and was curious what you guys thought regarding seat selection. Flight number is 2001 and the available seats are 6E (which I'm assigned now) and 3A. What would you prefer? Is the bulkhead a bad seat on this plane? Thanks.
greenythebeast is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 9:31 am
  #652  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,476
Originally Posted by greenythebeast View Post
Hey guys and gals,

I'm flying in F on a 738 to Miami this Thursday and was curious what you guys thought regarding seat selection. Flight number is 2001 and the available seats are 6E (which I'm assigned now) and 3A. What would you prefer? Is the bulkhead a bad seat on this plane? Thanks.
6E, for two reasons. First, IMO, all bulkheads suck, always (except like row 31 on the 777 which has infinite legroom). Second, on an odd-numbered flight meal choices are taken from the back (look up "FEBO" for more detail), so you'll have first, rather than last, choice.

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 9:32 am
  #653  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Programs: DL, AA, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Posts: 471
Originally Posted by brp View Post
6E, for two reasons. First, IMO, all bulkheads suck, always (except like row 31 on the 777 which has infinite legroom). Second, on an odd-numbered flight meal choices are taken from the back (look up "FEBO" for more detail), so you'll have first, rather than last, choice.

Cheers.
Alright, thanks. I pre-ordered my meal, but looking at the pre-order thread, it's probably a good idea that I sit near the back in case it fails.
greenythebeast is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 11:56 am
  #654  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DC
Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Posts: 1,902
Who to call/write?

Originally Posted by nor4 View Post
I've been trying to track down AA's senior discount fares/club. There is mention of both senior discount fares and a "Senior Saaver Club" in various fare rules but I can't find any current information about either.

I'd like to sign up or somehow access these fare, (they seem to be about 10% discount when applicable) but I can't pry the information out of FT, Google or AA.com.

Here's what I found at aa.com. The info is down near the bottom.

Anybody know if these options are still available? They seem to have sprung up in the mid-'80s, but aside from references to Rule 810 IPRG Senior Citizen Discount Program and Rule 755 IPRG Senior Saaver Club Program in various T&Cs (usually saying they don't apply to this fare) I can't find anything.

Thanks for any help.
I didn't get a specific answer to this query, does anybody have a suggestion of where I might call or write at AA to get info on this topic?

Thanks.
nor4 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 12:55 pm
  #655  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by nor4 View Post
I didn't get a specific answer to this query, does anybody have a suggestion of where I might call or write at AA to get info on this topic?

Thanks.
I'm pretty sure that program no longer exists and references to it in the fare rules are just old.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...club-gone.html
HNL is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 1:43 pm
  #656  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: DC
Programs: AA EXP; UAMM
Posts: 1,902
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
I'm pretty sure that program no longer exists and references to it in the fare rules are just old.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...club-gone.html
Slightly different name than the name on the fare rules. I'd be interested in talking to someone at AA about this. Do you have a suggestion for a conact, person or office?

As to the Senior Citizen Discount Program, I'm assuming that is the same as the Senior fare listed on the Make a Reservation page where one can select "senior" as an option for a fare. I have never seen nor heard of a discount showing up. Does anybody know if this is also just an oversight that hasn't been removed from the fare rules or the reservation page?
nor4 is offline  
Old Mar 11, 13, 3:10 pm
  #657  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 61,512
We took advantage (uh!) of that for years, but it has ceased to exist for a number of years and is no longer a possibility. One senior program allowed a discount, the other allowed the use of some discount chit iirc. Senior discounts on AA? AAncient history.

Whom to talk to? I suspect nobody at this time - if the reverse takeover by US proceeds, some of the AA folks might be lame ducks, to say the least, and it will be someone at the new combined airline in marketing that would be the person to contact.

Originally Posted by nor4 View Post
I didn't get a specific answer to this query, does anybody have a suggestion of where I might call or write at AA to get info on this topic?

Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 11, 13 at 3:16 pm
JDiver is offline  
Old Mar 12, 13, 12:06 pm
  #658  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 58
Promo code question here:

I saw a promo code on Airfarewatchdog (a Feb 13 blog post and tweets--and IIRC the AA twitter folks actually tweeted that they were happy to see it mentioned by AFWD. Though, so as not to incur action by any local hammers of lawyer doom, I won't link to it...). It would be very nice for my travel later this year. I am in one of the "to" cities, airport RDU; that is, the AA promo code description/rules says "From: All Airports To: RDU/Raleigh Durham" (and a bunch of other ones too).

My intended RT airport (RDU<>LHR) isn't on that list, unless it counts as "All Airports." So, my question here - can these promos be used "reversed", will the promo ordinarily work with the "to" and "from" reversed? Or it'll only work halfway? Or not at all? (I think I have a backup plan, but the price wouldn't be as good.)

I've only ever used a promo code a couple of times in the last 5 years, so I don't quite know the generalities. TIA -
songbird is offline  
Old Mar 12, 13, 2:08 pm
  #659  
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: SJC
Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Posts: 32,476
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
Promo code question here:

I saw a promo code on Airfarewatchdog (a Feb 13 blog post and tweets--and IIRC the AA twitter folks actually tweeted that they were happy to see it mentioned by AFWD. Though, so as not to incur action by any local hammers of lawyer doom, I won't link to it...). It would be very nice for my travel later this year. I am in one of the "to" cities, airport RDU; that is, the AA promo code description/rules says "From: All Airports To: RDU/Raleigh Durham" (and a bunch of other ones too).

My intended RT airport (RDU<>LHR) isn't on that list, unless it counts as "All Airports." So, my question here - can these promos be used "reversed", will the promo ordinarily work with the "to" and "from" reversed? Or it'll only work halfway? Or not at all? (I think I have a backup plan, but the price wouldn't be as good.)

I've only ever used a promo code a couple of times in the last 5 years, so I don't quite know the generalities. TIA -
The easiest way to tell is on AA.com. Input the code while pricing the reservation, and see if the site takes it. That will be more reliable an indicator than any answer we can give. You don't need to make the purchase to see if it "takes."

Cheers.
brp is offline  
Old Mar 12, 13, 2:13 pm
  #660  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 13,139
Originally Posted by songbird View Post
Promo code question here:

I saw a promo code on Airfarewatchdog (a Feb 13 blog post and tweets--and IIRC the AA twitter folks actually tweeted that they were happy to see it mentioned by AFWD. Though, so as not to incur action by any local hammers of lawyer doom, I won't link to it...). It would be very nice for my travel later this year. I am in one of the "to" cities, airport RDU; that is, the AA promo code description/rules says "From: All Airports To: RDU/Raleigh Durham" (and a bunch of other ones too).

My intended RT airport (RDU<>LHR) isn't on that list, unless it counts as "All Airports." So, my question here - can these promos be used "reversed", will the promo ordinarily work with the "to" and "from" reversed? Or it'll only work halfway? Or not at all? (I think I have a backup plan, but the price wouldn't be as good.)

I've only ever used a promo code a couple of times in the last 5 years, so I don't quite know the generalities. TIA -
My guess is that it won't work, but the easy way to find out for sure is to test it. Just plug it in to your search on aa.com. If it shows discounted fares, you're good to go; if it shows "The Promotion Code entered was not valid for your selection", then it isn't valid for your itinerary.

This method works even with one-time use codes, those will remain valid across multiple searches, and only get set to used status once you make a purchase.
swag is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread