[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 11, 13, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Gold: Hilton Gold
Hi all, I should probably know this, can an EXP make a change to flight time (same day, just earlier) for a non-refundable ticket without incurring a $150 NA change fee?

I have been searching and maybe the reason I cant find anything is because it doesn't exists, and I might be confusing the rules for an award ticket, as listed in the FAQ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14777282-post155.html.

I do know W/I 24-hrs of flight time I can can change or go stand-by, I will try that route and save $$ but I would prefer confirmed if possible. Thx
Old Feb 11, 13, 10:06 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by Dan_E View Post
Hi all, I should probably know this, can an EXP make a change to flight time (same day, just earlier) for a non-refundable ticket without incurring a $150 NA change fee?

I have been searching and maybe the reason I cant find anything is because it doesn't exists, and I might be confusing the rules for an award ticket, as listed in the FAQ http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14777282-post155.html.

I do know W/I 24-hrs of flight time I can can change or go stand-by, I will try that route and save $$ but I would prefer confirmed if possible. Thx
Nope. EXP are not exempt from this particular fee. One thing that you can do is try for Confirmed Flight Change (CFC). You can find threads on that with the details, but the basic idea is that, within 12 hours of the flight you want to move to, you can call and see if there is available space (E inventory) to move into. This costs only $75 (I believe that this is the current number). Intermediate cost and flexibility.

Cheers.
Old Feb 11, 13, 6:38 pm

Experience with american airlines new business class seat?

I am planning to fly SFO-JFK on American because of their "full flat" seat in business. I have a medical condition that makes it painful for me to sit, so I need to travel lying on my side. Any one have experience with this seat? Is it comfortable? Is it really flat ie no bend at the waist? Are there any restrictions on fully reclining (except for take off and landing)?

Thanks!
Old Feb 11, 13, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dara View Post
I am planning to fly SFO-JFK on American because of their "full flat" seat in business. I have a medical condition that makes it painful for me to sit, so I need to travel lying on my side. Any one have experience with this seat? Is it comfortable? Is it really flat ie no bend at the waist? Are there any restrictions on fully reclining (except for take off and landing)?

Thanks!
First, make sure you are on the 763, and not the 762. Those only have the recliners in J.

The 763s are configured for international travel, and the seats indeed go fully flat, but it is at an incline when it is fully reclined. Comfortable is of course, subjective. It is plenty more comfortable than a coach seat, but quite lagging in terms of international J seats. No restrictions that I can think of. I know that many people, like myself, do not actually like the fully reclined position of the seat. I usually put it somewhere between the 2 position and the zzz position (so it's more like a cradle). I believe if you want to get it fully flat, you have to press the zzz button until it stops, the press it again. You can use the duvet they provide you for extra padding. If you look around on FT, you can find a lot about this seat. Check the FAQ (where it says "please check here first" for starters.

Here's a pretty good photo of it from airliners.net.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...-ER/1452505/M/
Old Feb 11, 13, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"First, make sure you are on the 763, and not the 762. Those only have the recliners in J."

On domestic routes, there is no Business Class on the 763's: only First Class and Coach.
Old Feb 12, 13, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"First, make sure you are on the 763, and not the 762. Those only have the recliners in J."

On domestic routes, there is no Business Class on the 763's: only First Class and Coach.
Right, I was saying that the 762s only have recliners in J. And the front cabin of the 763 is an international J configuration as you know, though I'm well aware it's sold as F on domestic routes.
Old Feb 12, 13, 6:23 am

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: SK EBD/baEC G/MR PP/A3 *G/AA G/CC G/HH G/IHG Spire
Hi,

I have a question that im not so sure where to post it... Hopefully its okay here...

So I am flying on AA from GIG-DFW-FRA I have a 9 hour layover in DFW so I thought I could go shopping a bit if I can find a walmart or something like that within a 30-50$ taxi ride from the airport, would I be able tocheck another bag in dfw if I stay within my limits on bags/weight/check in times? I have never done this but now that im stationed in Europe I miss alot of items American so I thought I could use my time wisely and stock up

Thanks for any input

Ps: input is also welcome on any nearby shopping and or a outback steakhouse
Old Feb 12, 13, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott, Hyatt, HA, AA, DL, JL
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Right, I was saying that the 762s only have recliners in J. And the front cabin of the 763 is an international J configuration as you know, though I'm well aware it's sold as F on domestic routes.
Absolutely correct. 762 do have virtually flat seats in F but 763 J in my view is flatter and certainly better rest as it is much longer with footrest. 2 flights are 763 and 2 are 762. I would opt for 763 flights. Be aware that 767 flights are often changed to other equipment. My last 4 flights on 763 have been swapped to 752 and 762 due to equipment issues on 763. I would select early morning 763 flight so if they swap it to a 757 or a 762 you can ask to take second 763 flight and are not squeezed into 757 (happened to me in Jan on both LAX-ORD and LAX-HNL).
Old Feb 12, 13, 9:46 am

So i am looking for flights to/from Athens in Sept, mostly via BA. (ouch the taxes are painful)

There are literally zero flights on econony in Sept available. But June and July have basically like every day open. Is this because they have not opened up booking yet for that timeframe?

Any idea when they start to make these available?

If there were crappy midweek flights I would be more inclined to believe everything was just booked up, but there aren't even those.
Old Feb 12, 13, 10:37 am

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by kauppias View Post
Hi,

I have a question that im not so sure where to post it... Hopefully its okay here...

So I am flying on AA from GIG-DFW-FRA I have a 9 hour layover in DFW so I thought I could go shopping a bit if I can find a walmart or something like that within a 30-50$ taxi ride from the airport, would I be able tocheck another bag in dfw if I stay within my limits on bags/weight/check in times? I have never done this but now that im stationed in Europe I miss alot of items American so I thought I could use my time wisely and stock up

Thanks for any input

Ps: input is also welcome on any nearby shopping and or a outback steakhouse
Ok, there is a huge "outlet" mall called "Grapevine Mills Mall" very close to DFW airport (almost walking distance :-), not really, but almost). There are quite a few good restaurants in and around the mall and I think there is Outback Steakhouse too (not 100% sure).

About check-in, I don't think airline allows checking in a bag in the middle of an itinerary.

Cheers!
Old Feb 12, 13, 10:48 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Getting free bag check at ORD as Citi Platinum card holder

DH is flying tomorrow and wants to make sure his skis and boots get the promised benefits from his Citi Platinum card. He purchased the flight on the card and his FF# is the one associated with the card.

If he checks this stuff curbside, will the skycap be able to see that his ticket was purchased with the card? And is there a skycap fee nowadays?

Thank you!
Old Feb 12, 13, 3:45 pm
GLA

Programs: BA VS
JFK-SAN-JFK

Hi Guys! Sorry in advance to ask simple questions but I am a newbie to AA. I generally fly BA.

I am thinking of taking the direct flight from JFK-SAN-JFK in October flying in First. What is the cabin/service like on this flight?

And how many TPs would I get for my BAEC account?

Thanks in advance...

GLA
Old Feb 12, 13, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Other Stuff
Are there ever any deals to buy upgrade "stickers"?
Old Feb 12, 13, 4:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
No. But there are ways you can pay more - e.g. buying them at the airport.

Originally Posted by flyjackjack View Post
Are there ever any deals to buy upgrade "stickers"?
Old Feb 12, 13, 9:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Hi there, i have a question regarding the use of SWU
Im flying EZE-MIA-YYZ and ive asked for upgrades round trip using SWU; however Im not sure if they are applying 1 SWU per "section" or just one for each travel. I mean; will they use 4 of my upgrades to do this? or will they use just 2?

Because I think Its not worthy use one upgrade like this one for a 3.5hs travel like MIA-YYZ... and i though it was only 2 for the whole round trip.

thank you!
Mariano

Search this Thread