Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:02 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanbeary
Does a P-Class fare have access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK?

Other threads made it seem this is true, but the AA site made it pretty clear the flight has to be 3-class transcontinental (which, unless I am mistaken, this flight is not).

JFK-LAS

Booking Class P

thanks!
No comp lounge access at JFK. You can pay $50 to access the Admiral's Club. No way to access the FL.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:02 pm

Ok, I am getting conflicting answers when I call.
I have some SWU's expiring 2/28/13 that I'd like to use on an upcoming international trip on 3/1/13 and returning 4/5/13.
I am being told that the trip has to complete before 2/28 for me to use these SWU's.
Another rep I called a few days later for another issue, said that is incorrect and so long as my SWU's clear before 2/28, i can use it for trips starting and ending after 2/28. He even asked me if I remembered the name of the agent who had earlier told me that the trip has to complete before 2/28 and said that he would have that agent sent to training!. I didn't remember and I was in a hurry, so I said I will call back later to request my SWu's be applied.

That was a week ago, now today, I called to request the SWU's be applied and the agent again said trip needs to complete before 2/28.
She went and checked with Customer Service upon my insisting and came back with 'Ok, CS has confirmed that the trip has to be completed'!

Now I think I remember using SWU's last year for trips completing AFTER 2/28.
So, is this a recent change?

Thanks in advance,
Ketan
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by kgdg
Ok, I am getting conflicting answers when I call.
I have some SWU's expiring 2/28/13 that I'd like to use on an upcoming international trip on 3/1/13 and returning 4/5/13.
I am being told that the trip has to complete before 2/28 for me to use these SWU's.
Another rep I called a few days later for another issue, said that is incorrect and so long as my SWU's clear before 2/28, i can use it for trips starting and ending after 2/28. He even asked me if I remembered the name of the agent who had earlier told me that the trip has to complete before 2/28 and said that he would have that agent sent to training!. I didn't remember and I was in a hurry, so I said I will call back later to request my SWu's be applied.

That was a week ago, now today, I called to request the SWU's be applied and the agent again said trip needs to complete before 2/28.
She went and checked with Customer Service upon my insisting and came back with 'Ok, CS has confirmed that the trip has to be completed'!

Now I think I remember using SWU's last year for trips completing AFTER 2/28.
So, is this a recent change?

Thanks in advance,
Ketan
No, it isn't a change. However, there are some agents that are willing to put through the request and it does not get blocked. Your best bet is to call again and hope you get one of the more experienced agents that are willing to do it.

Unfortunately, the CS agent may be even newer than the EXP agent you got on the phone, so not surprised with the response... That is presuming they even talked to someone in the first place. I hate not being able to trust the people I talk to.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT
My GF, who barely flies at all just notified me of this targeted offer she received a few days ago, promo code HV3TT:

Reach AAdvantage Elite Status Faster And Keep It Through February 28, 2014
Simply fly the required number of miles shown below on eligible American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, and Qantas flights, as well as eligible codeshare flights between now and May 31, 2013.

Elite Status Level Required Miles
GLD 6,000
PLT 12,000
EXP 30,000

Are offers like these common? Are there any similar ones available for people who already have status? I was shocked that you could get it so easily and there's even an option to get EXP.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
No, it isn't a change. However, there are some agents that are willing to put through the request and it does not get blocked. Your best bet is to call again and hope you get one of the more experienced agents that are willing to do it.

Unfortunately, the CS agent may be even newer than the EXP agent you got on the phone, so not surprised with the response... That is presuming they even talked to someone in the first place. I hate not being able to trust the people I talk to.
Thanks Roger, but is this an exception that gets granted (or not), or is this the rule that they should allow it but just that the agents are unaware or inexperienced to know how to do it and hence assume it is not possible?

Last edited by kgdg; Feb 5, 2013 at 5:28 pm Reason: Ok, just called again, and this agent was nice and did it for me, this is really an exception to the rule...
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:50 pm

to buy or not to buy

Hi - First timer here. I am interested in the group's opinion on whether to buy miles or not. Looking at AA offer of up to 90k (60+30) miles for a limited time now.
Thanks
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by wlstockton88
Hi - First timer here. I am interested in the group's opinion on whether to buy miles or not. Looking at AA offer of up to 90k (60+30) miles for a limited time now.
Thanks
Welcome to FT!

The answer to your question is very much dependent on what your intended use of the miles would be, and whether award seats would be available for your intended use on your desired dates of travel. Also, what would be the cost of simply purchasing a ticket instead of using miles?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by MichaelZLA
My GF, who barely flies at all just notified me of this targeted offer she received a few days ago, promo code HV3TT:

Reach AAdvantage Elite Status Faster And Keep It Through February 28, 2014
Simply fly the required number of miles shown below on eligible American Airlines, American Eagle, the AmericanConnection® carrier, British Airways, Iberia, Japan Airlines, and Qantas flights, as well as eligible codeshare flights between now and May 31, 2013.

Elite Status Level Required Miles
GLD 6,000
PLT 12,000
EXP 30,000

Are offers like these common? Are there any similar ones available for people who already have status? I was shocked that you could get it so easily and there's even an option to get EXP.
I wouldn't say they're common, but they do happen from time to time. Targeted, no way to opt in that I know of.

Here's the current thread discussing this round of offers:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ld-status.html
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

OK, then.

I believe that SPG limits transfers to 79,999 Starpoints per day, but to maximize the 25% bonus, you would want to limit transfers to 60,000 Starpoints per day (converting to 75,000 AAdvantage miles). So you would just do two or three transfers on consecutive days.

Also, remember that AA permits you to hold award reservations for five days. That might or might not be enough time for the Starpoints to transfer.

And a belated welcome to FT!
Thank you, that is the information I was looking for!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: QF WP
Question:
I have a booking for SFO-LAX, in class Q "choice" fare, and I'm looking at changing the date for the flight. Would anyone know of the change fee off by heart, or can kindly provide the link to the policy on the website? I have been unable to find it (I'm not quite familiar with the AA website - I hardly ever venture out of the Asia-Pacific region). Also, I don't think the OW emerald status would come into any use here? Thanks.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 9:18 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Question:
I have a booking for SFO-LAX, in class Q "choice" fare, and I'm looking at changing the date for the flight. Would anyone know of the change fee off by heart, or can kindly provide the link to the policy on the website? I have been unable to find it (I'm not quite familiar with the AA website - I hardly ever venture out of the Asia-Pacific region). Also, I don't think the OW emerald status would come into any use here? Thanks.
Generally the change fee for a wholly domestic ticket is $150. If the flight is part of a larger international itinerary it can be much more. It all depends upon the specific fare rules of the tick you purchased.

There is $75 Confirmed Flight Change option that allows for a same day flight change starting 12 hours before the flight you want to take (space available).
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:16 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by HNL
Generally the change fee for a wholly domestic ticket is $150. If the flight is part of a larger international itinerary it can be much more. It all depends upon the specific fare rules of the tick you purchased.

There is $75 Confirmed Flight Change option that allows for a same day flight change starting 12 hours before the flight you want to take (space available).
It's a single-sector booking, so it's $150 to change a flight that costs roughly half as much...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by Awesom Andy
Originally Posted by HNL

It's a single-sector booking, so it's $150 to change a flight that costs roughly half as much...
That's correct.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EXP | US PLT | Marriott PLT Premier | IHG PLT
[NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

What will AA policy be for mce seating for elites?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by joejoe666
What will AA policy be for mce seating for elites?
Here ya go:

AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, AAdvantage® Platinum, oneworld® Emerald and Sapphire, and customers who have purchased a full-fare Main Cabin ticket receive advance complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats. To celebrate the launch of this new seating product, AAdvantage® Gold and oneworld Ruby members will also have complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats through December 31, 2013.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/mainCabinExtra.jsp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.