Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:58 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 3, 13, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by blondietink
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

I think you're getting a little ahead of yourself.

Are you hoping to redeem for the less-expensive "MileSAAver" awards on AA, or the more expensive "AAnytime" awards? If you are hoping for MileSAAver awards, have you checked aa.com to verify that there are, in fact, four MileSAAver award seats available on your desired dates of travel?
Yes, there are both types of awards available for the flights/days we want (mid-week) and there are more than 4 seats available on each. I can also fly out of several different airports (Buffalo, Rochester, Cleveland, etc.).
OK, then.

I believe that SPG limits transfers to 79,999 Starpoints per day, but to maximize the 25% bonus, you would want to limit transfers to 60,000 Starpoints per day (converting to 75,000 AAdvantage miles). So you would just do two or three transfers on consecutive days.

Also, remember that AA permits you to hold award reservations for five days. That might or might not be enough time for the Starpoints to transfer.

And a belated welcome to FT!
Old Feb 3, 13, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Exp BA gold SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by ProudBrit View Post
Hi everyone
As a long time lurker i first want to thank everyone here for the great insight and amazing ideas i have picked up from here.
I have been matched to aa exp but to extend my benefits until next year i need to fly 25k miles and then i will get the swu and my exp will be extended.
I have flown with them 13k so far and but i have a trip in mind with ba but then again if i book in economy in ba i will try to use my avios to get an upgrade to business or first.
So how do i go about this type of booking? do i need to leave out my ba executive no from the booking although it's made on ba.com(10% off from chase)? and give up the upgrade?
Bump (i'm sorry for doing this but i'm kinda desperate to know thanks in advance)
Old Feb 4, 13, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott/SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Hi, this was asked before, but I didn't see an answer. How long before the Citi 10% rebate posts? The last time I did this it was posted within 2 weeks. It has been over a month. Who do I contact to get it posted (if it doesn't soon)?

Thank you!
Old Feb 4, 13, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by CherylD View Post
Hi, this was asked before, but I didn't see an answer. How long before the Citi 10% rebate posts? The last time I did this it was posted within 2 weeks. It has been over a month. Who do I contact to get it posted (if it doesn't soon)?

Thank you!
AFAIK, it varies. According to various reports, they only process the rebate once a month. So you might have just missed the cutoff date.
Old Feb 4, 13, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott/SPG Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yannix View Post
AFAIK, it varies. According to various reports, they only process the rebate once a month. So you might have just missed the cutoff date.
Thanks yannix!
Old Feb 4, 13, 11:07 am
Formerly known as cedricgerald

I was booked CDG-UIO-CDG (via MIA)
Now I'd like to change it to do CDG-various cities in the US with stopover before going to UIO. Return is direct UIO-MIA-CDG
I agree on the new price of the ticket
I agree on the change fees
However they told me that as I have Euro credit card (not issued in the US) I have to go to CDG airport to ticket it
Does that seems correct ?
Old Feb 4, 13, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
Do GLD members not get preferred seats routinely? Just got my 2013 GLD card and it says they are complimentary through December 31, 2013. Since my status runs through February 2014, why is there a discrepancy?
Old Feb 4, 13, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; IHG Plat, Marriott Gold; OMNIPat;
Originally Posted by lovely15 View Post
Do GLD members not get preferred seats routinely? Just got my 2013 GLD card and it says they are complimentary through December 31, 2013. Since my status runs through February 2014, why is there a discrepancy?
Since they introduced "preferred" seats, GLD members have always been able to book those for free.

When they announced Main Cabin Extra (MCE), they said that GLD members would have complimentary access to those at least through 2013. MCE is only now beginning to get rolled out.

I think it remains to be seen whether MCE seats will remain free after 2013, and whether MCE-configured planes have non-MCE seats designated as preferred.

Edit to add:
Back in July, AA exec Suzanne Rubin did a chat on Milepoint. Here's how she answered my question about MCE access after 2013:

Q: (swag) Does the survey option on redeeming points (for non-Platinum, non-Executive Platinum) “using miles to purchase Preferred Seats or the upcoming Main Cabin Extra seating product" mean that Main Cabin Extra won't be extended to AAdvantage Gold members after 2013?
A: At this time, we’re offering Main Cabin Extra seating to AAdvantage Gold members and up to eight of their companions traveling in the same reservation at time of booking for seats reserved through Dec. 31, 2013. We’re currently evaluating the policy for AAdvantage Gold members beyond 2013.
Edit again to add more:
As it happens, today is the first day that 2014 flights are bookable (schedule now extends to Jan 1). So I just tried booking a flight for myself (I'm GLD) on a MCE aircraft, and I was able to select a MCE seat without additional cost. So at least for now, that benefit is extended for flights past Dec 2013. Of course, this could change at any time...

Last edited by swag; Feb 4, 13 at 5:02 pm
Old Feb 5, 13, 3:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, HH GLD (thanks Citi), former DL silver
Is there an easy way to tell how many miles an OW partner flight will earn me?

(We can assume the fare code earns 100% for simplicity.)

AA.com doesn't list the miles on partner flights.
Old Feb 5, 13, 6:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by nall View Post
Is there an easy way to tell how many miles an OW partner flight will earn me?

(We can assume the fare code earns 100% for simplicity.)

AA.com doesn't list the miles on partner flights.
For codeshare flights, I check the AA timetable: http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...cTimetable.jsp

For non-codeshare flights on partners, I normally use http://www.gcmap.com/. (Discrepancies, if any, tend to be only +/- 1 to 3 miles in my experience.)
Old Feb 5, 13, 8:21 am

My wife's miles expire in May, and due to current situation we can not travel. If she purchases miles, does that reset the clock onthe expiring miles?

TIA
Old Feb 5, 13, 8:24 am

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTG (PP), SPG LTG (Plt)
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post
My wife's miles expire in May, and due to current situation we can not travel. If she purchases miles, does that reset the clock onthe expiring miles?

TIA
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html has many suggestions. Happy reading.

search = expiring
Old Feb 5, 13, 8:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Brighton Line View Post

TIA
Yup! Any type of activity - be it a posting of miles, a redemption of miles for magazines/flights/hotels/etc, purchase of miles, etc. - will reset the clock.
Old Feb 5, 13, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP>2m, Alaska MVP, Virgin Gold, Delta Gold, Starwood Gold, Cathay Pacific Silver
Arrow

I just want to post a thank you to all the people who patiently respond to questions in this thread. When I first joined FT, I was afraid to ask anything, because some FTers seemed to enjoy flaming anyone who asked a question that had already been answered somewhere in the thousands of posts that were already in the AA forum. After several years of being a member, I still can't interpret some of the lingo in the posts by long time members in other threads. I think this thread, and the ones like it for other airlines, represent the true spirit of the FT community and the people who make this thread the friendly, valuable resource that it is deserve a lot of kudos and good karma. Thank you to all of you.
Old Feb 5, 13, 11:22 am

P-Class Fare Lounge Access

Does a P-Class fare have access to the Flagship Lounge at JFK?

Other threads made it seem this is true, but the AA site made it pretty clear the flight has to be 3-class transcontinental (which, unless I am mistaken, this flight is not).

JFK-LAS

Booking Class P

thanks!

Search this Thread