Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
It should fit fine. Make sure you put it into the bins on the side (since the center bins on the 763 are much smaller)
Great, thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2013, 2:48 am

Originally Posted by swag
flight changes should be free. But if you ticket the connecting flights now, and AA later (re-)adds nonstops, assuming your original connecting flights are also still operating, then AA would regard this as a voluntary change and you would still be subject to award capacity controls on the new non-stop.
Thanks. I called yesterday and it is noted on my record that It was originally non stop. I told her to please indicate that if they add nonstop again to change my flights. She said she would and I should just keep on checking.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 6:55 am

Hello,

Newbie here. I have just over 250k AA miles in my account. My partner and I would like to go to Australia in 2015. What is the best strategy for booking award travel RDU-SYD and return AKL-RDU in FIRST or business with lie-flat seats? We are willing to book a year in advance to avoid having to do this trip in economy.

Thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2013, 2:56 am

I have 2 first class seats from mco to JFK next October. The plane is a 757 and only seems to have 16 F seats. Does this mean it's an international bird or is there some internal config rule that means all 757's are 16 seats until the plane is confirmed a few days out?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
At this time, it is scheduled as a 75L / "International" configuration 757-223.

Sometimes the assignments change on non-dedicated routes - we recently flew on a 75L JFK-SXM that was originally shown as a 752.

Originally Posted by poggs
I have 2 first class seats from mco to JFK next October. The plane is a 757 and only seems to have 16 F seats. Does this mean it's an international bird or is there some internal config rule that means all 757's are 16 seats until the plane is confirmed a few days out?
Old Dec 25, 2013, 7:11 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hi!

Check this thread out: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) (consolidated)

It boils down to being persistent and flexible (you may not get two seats on the day you prefer, or nonstop).

1) QF FFs can book award flights 360 days out, AA only allows 330 (331) days out - so others have a shot at it before you;

2) Check different routings - I've flown ourselves and friends to / from Godzone in QF J, but we had to be flexible - e.g. ADL-MEL-LAX-BNE-ADL, etc.

The AA EXP agent didn't look for BNE connection - she merely told me there were no seats LAX-SYD or LAX-MEL, I had to remind her about BNE - so check your routes, and perhaps consider using a tool like ExpertFlyer or KVS.

Be aware QF is eliminating / has eliminated F on most flights, such as the 747-400s, and even on some of the A380s. Be happy if you can find two J seats...

Originally Posted by silkwood
Hello,

Newbie here. I have just over 250k AA miles in my account. My partner and I would like to go to Australia in 2015. What is the best strategy for booking award travel RDU-SYD and return AKL-RDU in FIRST or business with lie-flat seats? We are willing to book a year in advance to avoid having to do this trip in economy.

Thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 8:16 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, *A Silver
If I want to fly DTW-ICN, CX's website routes it DTW-ORD-HKG-ICN and shows seat availability for purchase. Does this mean I can just phone AA and ask them to book me an award ticket for that route? I.E. how do I check award availability on AA/CX?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by agp423
If I want to fly DTW-ICN, CX's website routes it DTW-ORD-HKG-ICN and shows seat availability for purchase. Does this mean I can just phone AA and ask them to book me an award ticket for that route? I.E. how do I check award availability on AA/CX?
AA does not permit an Asia 2 (HKG) transit on an award between North America and Asia 1 (ICN). If you want to route via HKG, you will have to pay for two separate awards.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by havoc29
Hi folks, got a question for you:

I'm EXP for 2014 but likely won't re-qualify for EXP the year after.

I don't have any experience booking award travel, but I've banked a few hundred thousand miles and intend to use the miles on booking int'l J/F award travel.

Is it better to use the miles while I'm still EXP, or should I try to do paid travel (with SWUs) in 2014 before redeeming awards?
I assume you mean your EXP status is valid until end of Feb, 2015?

Best places to get informed about award travel are the related wikis on this board. I come back and read them whenever I have the need.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...ld-awards.html

SWUs can be used on paid tickets only (eiither for yourself, or others). They are best for international travel.

Among some of the best ways to redeem miles are for oneworld Explorer award, in J or F. Do RTW with it for best value.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:08 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by guv1976
AA does not permit an Asia 2 (HKG) transit on an award between North America and Asia 1 (ICN). If you want to route via HKG, you will have to pay for two separate awards.
Is this something I just keep calling until I get an agent who did not pass his/her Geography 101 class to ticket me this trip? Or is there something hardcoded in the AA system that will not let me get this award ticket?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by guv1976
Is this something I just keep calling until I get an agent who did not pass his/her Geography 101 class to ticket me this trip? Or is there something hardcoded in the AA system that will not let me get this award ticket?
While anything is possible in this world, I would be very surprised if you could route from the U.S. to Korea via HKG on a single award. It doesn't matter what the agent says: the award ticket won't be issued until it's reviewed by another department at AA.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:40 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Okay. I guess I will use 10,000 BA Avios to do HKG-ICN in economy. For DTW-ORD-HKG, especially the ORD-HKG leg on CX, if I see the award availability on BA's website, can I call AA and have them book that trip for me, or are AA and BA award availability different?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okay. I guess I will use 10,000 BA Avios to do HKG-ICN in economy. For DTW-ORD-HKG, especially the ORD-HKG leg on CX, if I see the award availability on BA's website, can I call AA and have them book that trip for me, or are AA and BA award availability different?
Assuming that the ba.com website is accurately displaying CX award availability, then yes, AA should be able to book the CX flight for you.

Note, however, that AA charges a little more for DTW-HKG than for DTW-ICN.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:50 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Wouldn't I be able to use 67,500 miles for a one way trip to Asia? Or do I have to book RT using 135,000 miles?
Old Dec 26, 2013, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wouldn't I be able to use 67,500 miles for a one way trip to Asia? Or do I have to book RT using 135,000 miles?
Except for the multi-partner, distance-based "Explorer" awards, all AAdvantage awards are now one-ways. AAdvantage eliminated roundtrip awards a few years ago, when it introduced one-way "Flex" awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.