Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 23, 13, 9:34 pm

Can stopover in HNL on SEA-TYO itinerary?

I would like to use AA miles to fly SEA-TYO via HNL: SEA-HNL, then stopover for 2-3 days in Honolulu, then HNL-TYO.

For SEA-HNL I would fly on partners AS or HA; for HNL-TYO I would fly on partner JAL.

I just called AA to confirm that I could do this (as a single itinerary, i.e. 25,000 o/w in economy or 50,000 o/w in business), but was told that this was not possible - I would need to pay for two awards (to cover the 2 segments).

I have read that "Awards between North America & Europe, Asia, India, or Central/South America: You can have a stopover, but it has to be in the North American gateway city - a city from which you either arrive or depart from North America on a non-stop international flight to an international destination outside North America." Since Honolulu is considered to be an AA gateway city, it seems that my plan should be allowed. Is it not allowed because I would be flying on partner airlines (not on AA flights)?

I am hoping that the phone agent I just spoke with gave me incorrect information. Could someone advise me on my proposed itinerary; is it possible to do it as one itinerary?
Old Nov 23, 13, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by muji
I would like to use AA miles to fly SEA-TYO via HNL: SEA-HNL, then stopover for 2-3 days in Honolulu, then HNL-TYO.

For SEA-HNL I would fly on partners AS or HA; for HNL-TYO I would fly on partner JAL.

I just called AA to confirm that I could do this (as a single itinerary, i.e. 25,000 o/w in economy or 50,000 o/w in business), but was told that this was not possible - I would need to pay for two awards (to cover the 2 segments).

I have read that "Awards between North America & Europe, Asia, India, or Central/South America: You can have a stopover, but it has to be in the North American gateway city - a city from which you either arrive or depart from North America on a non-stop international flight to an international destination outside North America." Since Honolulu is considered to be an AA gateway city, it seems that my plan should be allowed. Is it not allowed because I would be flying on partner airlines (not on AA flights)?

I am hoping that the phone agent I just spoke with gave me incorrect information. Could someone advise me on my proposed itinerary; is it possible to do it as one itinerary?
In order for SEA-HNL-TYO (with or without a stopover in HNL) to price as a single award, the over-water carrier (JL in your example) must publish a through-fare between SEA and TYO, and that published through-fare must permit the particular routing. It's possible that JL's SEA-TYO fares do not permit routing via HNL.

All is not lost, however. HA flies HNL-HND. Try booking SEA-HNL, HNL-HND on the multi-city award-booking engine at aa.com. (You'll also save $25 by booking the award on line.)
Old Nov 23, 13, 10:59 pm

Thank you, guv1976.
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
It's possible that JL's SEA-TYO fares do not permit routing via HNL.
JAL itself no longer flies out of SEA.

HA flies HNL-HND. Try booking SEA-HNL, HNL-HND on the multi-city award-booking engine at aa.com.
I'll look into that. I am not familiar with it - it sounds like I would book flights on aa.com for partner airline (HA) flights…but would that likely end up being two separate itineraries, costing miles for each itinerary (in others words, instead of a o/w in economy at only 25,000 miles it would be two o/w flights in economy, SEA-HNL & HNL-HND for 25,000 + 25,000)?
Old Nov 23, 13, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Thank you, guv1976.
It's possible that JL's SEA-TYO fares do not permit routing via HNL.
JAL itself no longer flies out of SEA.

HA flies HNL-HND. Try booking SEA-HNL, HNL-HND on the multi-city award-booking engine at aa.com.
I'll look into that. I am not familiar with it - it sounds like I would book flights on aa.com for partner airline (HA) flights…but would that likely end up being two separate itineraries, costing miles for each itinerary (in others words, instead of a o/w in economy at only 25,000 miles it would be two o/w flights in economy, SEA-HNL & HNL-HND for 25,000 + 25,000)?
Not necessarily. If HA publishes a HNL-TYO through-fare, it will permit routing via HNL, and SEA-HNL-HND will price as a single award. You can confirm whether this is the case by attempting to book the itinerary at aa.com, using the multi-city award-booking engine, which you can find by clicking the "Plan Travel" tab near the top of the aa.com homepage.

The fact that JL no longer serves SEA does not necessarily mean that JL no longer publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare. JL may still have such a fare, allowing routings through cities other than HNL (like SFO, LAX, YVR), with the first leg to be flown on a different carrier.

Last edited by guv1976; Nov 23, 13 at 11:40 pm
Old Nov 23, 13, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I meant to write, "If HA publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare, it will permit routing via HNL, and SEA-HNL-HND will price as a single award."
Old Nov 24, 13, 12:43 am

If HA publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare, it will permit routing via HNL, and SEA-HNL-HND will price as a single award.
And a 2-3 day stopover could be part of such an itinerary? (I'll check into this further - will call HA, but for now am wondering if you or others could confirm this.)

JL may still have such a fare, allowing routings through cities other than HNL (like SFO, LAX, YVR), with the first leg to be flown on a different carrier.
So, I would call JAL and ask if they could quote me a SEA-HNL-TYO fare; is that correct? (I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly.) And then if I take this option I don't think I would actually then fly, for example, SEA-YVR (on, probably, Alaska), then YVR-HNL (on Air Canada - but it's not a JAL partner, so I think I'm misunderstanding this) then HNL-TYO (on JAL); correct? I would actually be flying, in this scenario, SEA-HNL (on HA or AS), then HNL-TYO on JAL; is this correct?

Thanks again for your advice.
Old Nov 24, 13, 12:50 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA PlatPro
Originally Posted by muji View Post
If as suggested by guv1976 you do try a multi-city redemption on aa.com you will get this message
This international award allows a stopover at Honolulu - HNL for no additional miles. Mileage required for both flights is displayed on the Award Legend for the international flight.
The miles required for 1-way economy are 25,000 for off-peak

[the dummy booking I did - gave me 5:30 in ANC between SEA and HNL (2 AS flights) and had a whopping $7.50 in taxes]
Old Nov 24, 13, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If HA publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare, it will permit routing via HNL, and SEA-HNL-HND will price as a single award.
And a 2-3 day stopover could be part of such an itinerary? (I'll check into this further - will call HA, but for now am wondering if you or others could confirm this.)

JL may still have such a fare, allowing routings through cities other than HNL (like SFO, LAX, YVR), with the first leg to be flown on a different carrier.
So, I would call JAL and ask if they could quote me a SEA-HNL-TYO fare; is that correct? (I'm not sure if I am understanding this correctly.) And then if I take this option I don't think I would actually then fly, for example, SEA-YVR (on, probably, Alaska), then YVR-HNL (on Air Canada - but it's not a JAL partner, so I think I'm misunderstanding this) then HNL-TYO (on JAL); correct? I would actually be flying, in this scenario, SEA-HNL (on HA or AS), then HNL-TYO on JAL; is this correct?

Thanks again for your advice.
No, you're misunderstanding.

Don't call JL; don't call HA.

If you are content to fly HA HNL-HND, then book SEA-HNL-HND as a single award (with stopover) on aa.com.

If you only want to fly JL HNL-TYO, you can call AA back and ask if JL publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare that permits routing via HNL. If JL does, then you should be able to get a single award for SEA-HNL-TYO, utilizing JL for the HNL-TYO leg. But the fact that AA has already told you that two awards would be required when using JL for the HNL-TYO leg suggests to me that JL's published SEA-TYO fares do not permit routing via HNL.
Old Nov 24, 13, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Hi,

Just a quick query on seat assignment.

I have four AA flights coming up in February booked through BA.com with BA flights before and after (transatlantic).

I thought that I had selected seats but just noticed today that not all of the AA sectors had seats assigned.

I have selected seats before for BA codeshares on AA without problems. Sometimes you can get to AA seat assignment page from BA.com, other times you need the AA reference number and go solely from their site.

Anyway...

There are four flights:
AA231 MIA-LAX (757)
AA108 LAX-SFO (737)
AA209 SFO-LAX (737)
AA208 LAX-MIA (757)

For the last one, the system has me in seat 3J.
There is no 3J on a B757.
When I try to change it, it says that an error has occurred.

Any help?
Or will I be on the wing for that flight?
Old Nov 24, 13, 10:04 am

Programs: DL PM, SPG PLT, HHONORS DIA, Emerald Exc Elt
Doing executive platinum challenge, need help

So, I missed doing a DL MR with another member here due to my schedule. But being DL DM through 2015 I've decided to do the AA challenge. I need help, I have through 2/22/14 to complete the 25,000 points and I need help with mileage runs in the US only, no international travel so I know it will be tougher. Flying from Tpa, Mco, fll, mia, pbx, etc... I'm based out of Tampa but can do any of these. AA has better routing for some of my trips next year and it only makes sense.

If someone has proven routes or suggestions I will really appreciate it. Or if someone can point me in the right direction with ita since I've been using Google flights but I've heard ita is the way to go. I've had 6 hours of sleep in the past 5 days and I just can't figure out how to map the routes for MR in ita. Please help, I want to get more involved in the forum and provide help to others, and I know I will help out once my schedule normalizes. I haven't driven my Cobra in 6 Months! That's how busy I've been...

Thanks all and happy travels.
Old Nov 24, 13, 10:27 am

Thumbs up Need miles

Great site and service. I need about 20,000 to keep EP. My airport preference is West Palm although Ft Laud or Miami could work. Are you aware of some cheap long flights I can take?

Now for a potential stupid question. Would you ask a AA EP person a similar question?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Dave
Old Nov 24, 13, 3:25 pm

If you are content to fly HA HNL-HND, then book SEA-HNL-HND as a single award (with stopover) on aa.com...If you only want to fly JL HNL-TYO, you can call AA back and ask if JL publishes a SEA-TYO through-fare that permits routing via HNL...
Going on HA would be fine. (JAL would be even better, but as you said, it may not be allowed; I'll call AA.)

Originally Posted by pandaperth View Post
The miles required for 1-way economy are 25,000 for off-peak...[the dummy booking I did - gave me 5:30 in ANC between SEA and HNL (2 AS flights) and had a whopping $7.50 in taxes]
I did a May dummy booking - and selected "non-stop flights only" and "HA only". It quoted me 32,500 in coach for SEA-HND, with a several-days stopover in Honolulu.

Thank you both for your help.
Old Nov 24, 13, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"I did a May dummy booking - and selected "non-stop flights only" and "HA only". It quoted me 32,500 in coach for SEA-HND, with a several-days stopover in Honolulu."

That is the correct amount of mileage, as the 25,000-mile one-way Economy award is only offered during AA's "off-peak" season between North America and Asia 1. May is considered peak season.

Also, it's not necessary to specify HA only or nonstop only unless that is your preference. You might have a broader selection of award-available flights if you do not restrict your search that way. For example, SEA-LAS on AS, connecting to LAS-HNL on HA might be a valid award routing.
Old Nov 24, 13, 6:01 pm

Programs: Avios Hunter
I moved my question to the award thread, as its probably more relevant there.

Last edited by tangey; Nov 25, 13 at 4:31 am
Old Nov 25, 13, 12:10 am

Programs: AA PLAT
Originally Posted by Elichante View Post
So, I missed doing a DL MR with another member here due to my schedule. But being DL DM through 2015 I've decided to do the AA challenge. I need help, I have through 2/22/14 to complete the 25,000 points and I need help with mileage runs in the US only, no international travel so I know it will be tougher. Flying from Tpa, Mco, fll, mia, pbx, etc... I'm based out of Tampa but can do any of these. AA has better routing for some of my trips next year and it only makes sense.

If someone has proven routes or suggestions I will really appreciate it. Or if someone can point me in the right direction with ita since I've been using Google flights but I've heard ita is the way to go. I've had 6 hours of sleep in the past 5 days and I just can't figure out how to map the routes for MR in ita. Please help, I want to get more involved in the forum and provide help to others, and I know I will help out once my schedule normalizes. I haven't driven my Cobra in 6 Months! That's how busy I've been...

Thanks all and happy travels.
Tampa to Boston with layover in Chicago (TPA-ORD-BOS, round trip = 3726miles) has several dates in december under $200 (Outbound dates: Dec 6, 7, 11 = $178 with a single overnight stay, which is 4.7 cents per mile) Plus some in January. Seems to be about the best I can find.

It would require about 7 of these runs... Total: ~$1200

Search this Thread