Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 9:36 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pdilip
I'm flying SFO - DXB (connecting at LHR) on 12/31 and then MAA - SFO (connecting at LHR) on 1/25

I find the fare on AA ($1800) to be higher than BA.com ($1650). All flights are operated by BA. Also, the SFO-DXB leg on BA is booked on WT+ instead of coach. I think I should book on BA and credit to AAdvantage. Any disadvantage booking on BA instead of AA?

I'm AA gold.
none. Go wit the better fare.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:39 am

I'm planning saver off peak travel from BOS to NRT in late march/early april, and I'm hoping to stopover at an exotic location. Now I've done my research and know about the restriction to North American hubs. I tried booking BOS-HNL and then HNL-BOS and it works fine, 25k for that trip. Then I tried BOS-YVR and then YVR-NRT and it wants me to pay 12.5k to YVR and 25k from YVR to NRT, ...? I tried changing my origin airport to JFK, but JFK-YVR then YVR-NRT still charges extra. Does anyone know what's going on? Did I exceed the 125% MPM or something?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:44 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by divinebaboon
I'm planning saver off peak travel from BOS to NRT in late march/early april, and I'm hoping to stopover at an exotic location. Now I've done my research and know about the restriction to North American hubs. I tried booking BOS-HNL and then HNL-BOS and it works fine, 25k for that trip. Then I tried BOS-YVR and then YVR-NRT and it wants me to pay 12.5k to YVR and 25k from YVR to NRT, ...? I tried changing my origin airport to JFK, but JFK-YVR then YVR-NRT still charges extra. Does anyone know what's going on? Did I exceed the 125% MPM or something?
You did not exceed the MPM.

2 possibilities.

1) My guess is the system is not seeing YVR as a North American Gateway. Put the reservation on hold and call AA and have them re-price

2) The routing rules for the over water carrier does not have a published fare BOS/JFK-YVR-NRT
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What airline are you using to get from YVR to NRT? You cannot book award travel on JL metal at aa.com. If your routing from YVR to NRT is on AA via DFW, then YVR is no longer your "gateway" (DFW is), and you are not entitled to a free stopover at YVR.

To book BOS-XXX-YVR-NRT using JL for the YVR-NRT segment, you must call AA, and pay the $25 telephone-ticketing fee.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by HNL

2 possibilities.

1) My guess is the system is not seeing YVR as a North American Gateway. Put the reservation on hold and call AA and have them re-price

2) The routing rules for the over water carrier does not have a published fare BOS/JFK-YVR-NRT
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

What airline are you using to get from YVR to NRT? You cannot book award travel on JL metal at aa.com. If your routing from YVR to NRT is on AA via DFW, then YVR is no longer your "gateway" (DFW is), and you are not entitled to a free stopover at YVR.

To book BOS-XXX-YVR-NRT using JL for the YVR-NRT segment, you must call AA, and pay the $25 telephone-ticketing fee.
Thank you for your replies! ^ I have decided to just go to HNL instead(AA then HA), maybe I'll hit up Vancouver another time. (It's weird because even if the entire BOS-YVR-NRT was on AA, it still charges me 32.5K. I think it's because they are making the routing really complicated by doing BOS-DFW-YVR-stopover-YVR-DFW-ORD-NRT. The only way to avoid that was probably on JAL and I'd have to call them like you guys were saying)

Last edited by divinebaboon; Nov 22, 2013 at 11:14 am
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:07 am

Help!

I booked a round trip ticket and the outbound flight is on the wrong day. Naturally, it costs more to change the ticket than to buy a new ticket.

Out of curiosity, (i) can I book a one way for the correct outbound date and still fly the return flight; or (ii) do I have to book a new round trip?

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:09 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Originally Posted by onlybeef42
Help!

I booked a round trip ticket and the outbound flight is on the wrong day. Naturally, it costs more to change the ticket than to buy a new ticket.

Out of curiosity, (i) can I book a one way for the correct outbound date and still fly the return flight; or (ii) do I have to book a new round trip?

Thanks!
If you don't show up for the outbound, they will cancel your return. You're better off either:
1. Paying the change fee, or
2. If the fare allows, cancelling the trip and receiving a voucher/credit towards a new ticket, and using that to buy a new r/t on the correct departure date.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by zpaul
If you don't show up for the outbound, they will cancel your return. You're better off either:
1. Paying the change fee, or
2. If the fare allows, cancelling the trip and receiving a voucher/credit towards a new ticket, and using that to buy a new r/t on the correct departure date.
Thanks for the response! Number 2 might be better than nothing.

Just so I understand correctly, there is not a way to cancel the outbound flight without effecting the return?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by HNL

2 possibilities.

Originally Posted by guv1976

Thank you for your replies! ^ I have decided to just go to HNL instead(AA then HA), maybe I'll hit up Vancouver another time. (It's weird because even if the entire BOS-YVR-NRT was on AA, it still charges me 32.5K. I think it's because they are making the routing really complicated by doing BOS-DFW-YVR-stopover-YVR-DFW-ORD-NRT. The only way to avoid that was probably on JAL and I'd have to call them like you guys were saying)
You are free to stop over in HNL on the outbound, and YVR on the return. But again, you'd have to call AA to book NRT-YVR on JL metal.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:21 am

Help!

Thanks!
When you say it costs less to buy a new ticket, are you referring to a one-way outbound? or a whole new round-trip?

If it's the latter, just buy the ticket. If it's just cheaper to buy another one-way, you have a situation.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Thanks for the response! Number 2 might be better than nothing.

Just so I understand correctly, there is not a way to cancel the outbound flight without effecting the return?
Exactly. If you don't show up for the outbound, or cancel it, AA (and every other airline that I know of) will automatically cancel the return. It can't hurt to call and find out if your fare allows to a credit to be issued if you cancel the whole itinerary and then apply it to a new one.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:48 pm

Guys - Is anybody not opted out at optoutprescreen.com and still get offers in the mail? Are they decent quality offers? When I was on it long time ago, I used to get real bad offers. Now I'm opted out and still get offers but only with the banks I have a relationship with like Amex and offers these days are pretty good

However i'm thinking of opting in another family member but only if you get good offers from time to time

Thx
Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pdilip
I'm flying SFO - DXB (connecting at LHR) on 12/31 and then MAA - SFO (connecting at LHR) on 1/25

I find the fare on AA ($1800) to be higher than BA.com ($1650). All flights are operated by BA. Also, the SFO-DXB leg on BA is booked on WT+ instead of coach. I think I should book on BA and credit to AAdvantage. Any disadvantage booking on BA instead of AA?

I'm AA gold.
The only disadvantage I can think about is if you know an EXP that is willing to gift you an SWU or have one from other means, you won't be able to use it on a BA marketed ticket. Other than that, save the $'s and take the cheapest ticket. Maybe they will get the hint if others are able to sell more seats.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA Executive Platinum, National Executive Elite, Avis First
Will I get F/J baggage benefits on MIA-DFW?

We are flying MBJ-MIA-DFW with an overnight layover in MIA. We plan on collecting our bags at MIA and rechecking them in the morning when we fly out for DFW. I was able to upgrade to business class for MBJ-MIA, but probably won't clear for MIA-DFW. When we re-check our bags for DFW, will we be able to get first class baggage benefits (70lb limit instead of 50lb), or will I lose that since the remainder of the trip is in Y?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:30 pm

(It's weird because even if the entire BOS-YVR-NRT was on AA, it still charges me 32.5K. I think it's because they are making the routing really complicated by doing BOS-DFW-YVR-stopover-YVR-DFW-ORD-NRT.
This is 2 awards, BOS-YVR and YVR-NRT. DFW is the gateway city, and not YVR, so you can have a free stopover in DFW.

Originally Posted by RogerD408
The only disadvantage I can think about is if you know an EXP that is willing to gift you an SWU or have one from other means, you won't be able to use it on a BA marketed ticket. Other than that, save the $'s and take the cheapest ticket. Maybe they will get the hint if others are able to sell more seats.
This wouldn't matter, as all flights are operated by BA and SWU's can't be used on BA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.