Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 20, 13, 2:00 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mstogo View Post
Thanks HNL!
Called admirals club cust. Svc yesterday...they said no... I re-read platinum benefits and as I understood it to say sapphire was admitted..
Thanks...hope it works...
Bring your AA Platinum card with you. The BA lounge dragons rarely ask for it anymore, but it's helpful to prove status if in doubt.
Old Nov 20, 13, 2:08 pm

Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm an amateur. I am both a QMiles and AAdvantage member. When I fly QR I earn miles on the Privilege Club and when I fly AA I earn miles on the AAdvantage. Now, QR recently joined OneWorld and announced that it is possible to earn Qmiles on AA operated flights. Does this mean that I can earn miles on both of my membership accounts? If so, how? And what should I do? If not, do I get to choose where the miles will go?
Old Nov 20, 13, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Higherandhigher View Post
Sorry if this is a silly question, but I'm an amateur. I am both a QMiles and AAdvantage member. When I fly QR I earn miles on the Privilege Club and when I fly AA I earn miles on the AAdvantage. Now, QR recently joined OneWorld and announced that it is possible to earn Qmiles on AA operated flights. Does this mean that I can earn miles on both of my membership accounts? If so, how? And what should I do? If not, do I get to choose where the miles will go?
You cannot double dip, ie earn miles for the same flight in two different programs.

You will earn into the program whose FFN you have in the reservation. Make sure you check the earnings chart for the respective carriers (for example, on QR coded QR flights, if you're on deep discounted coach, you only earn 25% if you credit to AA)
Old Nov 20, 13, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
You cannot double dip, ie earn miles for the same flight in two different programs.

You will earn into the program whose FFN you have in the reservation. Make sure you check the earnings chart for the respective carriers (for example, on QR coded QR flights, if you're on deep discounted coach, you only earn 25% if you credit to AA)
I checked with AA and it's really ridiculous. I paid about $3000 only for the last leg of my flight, which is an F from JFK to LAX but it seems that I would get only around 3700 miles. I was wondering if I could get more for this flight since it's part of a QR itinerary: DOH-JFK (QR) - LAX (AA).
Old Nov 20, 13, 2:53 pm

I checked with AA and it's really ridiculous. I paid about $3000 only for the last leg of my flight, which is an F from JFK to LAX but it seems that I would get only around 3700 miles. I was wondering if I could get more for this flight since it's part of a QR itinerary: DOH-JFK (QR) - LAX (AA).
Sorry, can you clarify? Is DOH-JFK (QR) - LAX (AA) your entire itinerary, and it's booked in F all the way through? Is it QR coded or AA coded?

If you're booked in F, either way you should earn 100% base miles, 100% EQM, 1.5x EQP, and 125% RDM, excluding any status bonuses. Since JFK-LAX is just under 2500 miles, 3700 miles if you mean RDM sounds like that's correct. Is there something I'm missing?
Old Nov 20, 13, 3:03 pm

Sorry, can you clarify? Is DOH-JFK (QR) - LAX (AA) your entire itinerary, and it's booked in F all the way through? Is it QR coded or AA coded?

If you're booked in F, either way you should earn 100% base miles, 100% EQM, 1.5x EQP, and 125% RDM, excluding any status bonuses. Since JFK-LAX is just under 2500 miles, 3700 miles if you mean RDM sounds like that's correct. Is there something I'm missing?
DOH-JFK-LAX is the entire itinerary. QR does not have F to north America. So DOH-JFK is J and I had the option of going J on JFK-LAX or going F (for about $1000 more than J). I am not familiar with EQM, EQP, etc. I just checked on QR website (Qmiles Qcalculator) after talking with AA agents on the phone, and it, too, shows 3713 miles for JFK-LAX leg regardless of my status. The status seemingly just affects QR operated flights.

(I made a mistake. Qcalculator shows 4332 miles for JFK-LAX. But still I was told by the AA agent that I would get 3713 miles.)

Last edited by Higherandhigher; Nov 20, 13 at 3:05 pm Reason: Adding information
Old Nov 20, 13, 7:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As has been said, you can earn miles on one airline's scheme, or the other's - not both. You get to choose by entering the frequent flyer number of the airline you wish to credit the miles to.

To see how many miles you fly (on AA, "Base Miles", also elite-qualifying Miles, upon which bonus miles are calculated in accordance with class of service and status), you can also run the route on Great Circle Mapper. It shows JFK-LAX is 2,475 mi (and DOH-JFK 6,703 mi); perhaps QR offers more miles due to status, etc. but I am not familiar with their scheme - I am with the AA AAdvantage scheme. Apieinthesky indicated how many AAdvantage miles you could earn.

On AA you would earn 9,178 Base miles DOH-JFK-LAX, plus 25% class of service bonus miles in Business (50% for AA three class First JFK-LAX). Depending on your oneworld status you could earn as little as no status bonus miles to as much as 100% status bonus miles (calculated on base miles).

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 20, 13 at 7:54 pm Reason: add
Old Nov 20, 13, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Question about status posting:

I will clear to EXP after getting off a flight that lands at 7PM at LAX. I have a flight departing at 11PM on a different itinerary. Status likely will not post, so I won't be on the list for a complimentary upgrade. Is there anything I can do immediately after landing to make this happen? Can I call AA, talk to a GA, talk to an AAngel at the AC?
Old Nov 20, 13, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4 MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post

I will clear to EXP after getting off a flight that lands at 7PM at LAX. I have a flight departing at 11PM on a different itinerary. Status likely will not post, so I won't be on the list for a complimentary upgrade. Is there anything I can do immediately after landing to make this happen? Can I call AA, talk to a GA, talk to an AAngel at the AC?
Unfortunately no since it takes at least 24 hours for your flight to post.
Old Nov 20, 13, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Pinned View Post

Well, you will be on the upgrade list as a PLT. If you just want the stickers back, I'm sure you could contact AA CS and have them reinstate the stickers into your account, if they are pulled for that flight (assuming you get upgraded of course, fingers crossed for you)
Old Nov 21, 13, 12:11 am

Programs: CX SL, AA EXP
Request Mileage Credit

Hi all, I just made EXP last week, used to be CX DM(Emerald). I have an upcoming flight 2 weeks later JFK-NRT with JL metal in JL stock. I am wondering if I do not put in any FF# into the booking and after the flight I will submit a reqest mileage credit via AA.com; does it really matter if I do it before Dec 31 2013 or after Jan 1 2014? Because if possible I want to get a head start for my renewal next year instead of ending 2013 with 120k EQM/EQP. And I am not really into getting more SWU with milestone 4. Thanks all.
Old Nov 21, 13, 12:26 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ricky721 View Post
Hi all, I just made EXP last week, used to be CX DM(Emerald). I have an upcoming flight 2 weeks later JFK-NRT with JL metal in JL stock. I am wondering if I do not put in any FF# into the booking and after the flight I will submit a reqest mileage credit via AA.com; does it really matter if I do it before Dec 31 2013 or after Jan 1 2014? Because if possible I want to get a head start for my renewal next year instead of ending 2013 with 120k EQM/EQP. And I am not really into getting more SWU with milestone 4. Thanks all.
The flight will credit based on the date flown, not the date by which the request is processed. I don't think there's any way to get it to credit to the 2014 qualification year.
Old Nov 21, 13, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
The flight will credit based on the date flown, not the date by which the request is processed. I don't think there's any way to get it to credit to the 2014 qualification year.
There is no way.

No, it doesn't matter if you request mileage credit in Dec. 2013 or Jan. 2014. In either case, the mileage will be credited to the date you flew the flight. There isn't any reason I can think of to leave out your FFN in your reservation. You wouldn't even get any of your status benefits.

Originally Posted by ricky721 View Post
Old Nov 21, 13, 10:32 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by wrxmom View Post
Unfortunately no since it takes at least 24 hours for your flight to post.
I've had some post more quickly than that, but I know there are no guarantees, so I won't plan on anything.

Well, you will be on the upgrade list as a PLT. If you just want the stickers back, I'm sure you could contact AA CS and have them reinstate the stickers into your account, if they are pulled for that flight (assuming you get upgraded of course, fingers crossed for you)
I hope I make it too. CDG-ORD-LAX-BDL...long day if it's all in Y.
Old Nov 21, 13, 9:26 pm

Booking on BA.com vs AA.com

I'm flying SFO - DXB (connecting at LHR) on 12/31 and then MAA - SFO (connecting at LHR) on 1/25

I find the fare on AA ($1800) to be higher than BA.com ($1650). All flights are operated by BA. Also, the SFO-DXB leg on BA is booked on WT+ instead of coach. I think I should book on BA and credit to AAdvantage. Any disadvantage booking on BA instead of AA?

I'm AA gold.

Search this Thread