Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2013, 2:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Thanks! Just curious about how many seats are usually bookable in C - according to AA's 77W seat map there are 52 business seats - so how many would be available in C? Just trying to plot out my strategy.
Appreciate it!
C availability varies based on route and demand. For example, on the 77W LHR flights, they generally range from ~1-3, with most at 0. I think everyone expects the new DFW-HKG route to be very difficult to upgrade. If you are insistent on flying business, I would recommend only booking a flight if you can confirm the miles and copay upgrade immediately. If you waitlist, there's a chance you will constantly be trumped by those with higher status.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Question about making a connection -

I fly SJC --> LAX --> DFW. I have a 35 minute connection in LAX (booked on aa.com). As I am going from the eagles nest back to T4, there is a chance I miss the flight.

Will AA let me rebook to a later LAX --> DFW flight with no charge? The later flight is pretty wide open.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SFOPhD
C availability varies based on route and demand. For example, on the 77W LHR flights, they generally range from ~1-3, with most at 0. I think everyone expects the new DFW-HKG route to be very difficult to upgrade. If you are insistent on flying business, I would recommend only booking a flight if you can confirm the miles and copay upgrade immediately. If you waitlist, there's a chance you will constantly be trumped by those with higher status.
Good advice and that's exactly what I was thinking. If I can't confirm upgrades immediately then I'll have to decide whether to try to burn miles to fly J or earn the EQMs towards status and risk riding in steerage (my flying is all personal so tpac trips are important to earn EQM on). Just out of curiosity - I imagine AA's NRT routes also have low C inventory - is it similar to LHR (on the order of 1-3 per flight, if that)? Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Does AA online receipts actually work? I've purchased food on 4 different flights since they stopped giving receipts on the flight and have not been able to get the receipt search to return any of them. Luckily the person approving my expense reports has been tolerant, but I expect that to stop soon. Looking for positive experiences when using this search, to see if I am just doing it wrong.

https://www.aa.com/receipts/
Old Nov 19, 2013, 3:57 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
Question about making a connection -

I fly SJC --> LAX --> DFW. I have a 35 minute connection in LAX (booked on aa.com). As I am going from the eagles nest back to T4, there is a chance I miss the flight.

Will AA let me rebook to a later LAX --> DFW flight with no charge? The later flight is pretty wide open.
35 min is plenty for an LAX connection. If for some reason you misconnect you can suggest an alternate flight. I've found agents to be accommodating in these scenarios.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HNL
35 min is plenty for an LAX connection. If for some reason you misconnect you can suggest an alternate flight. I've found agents to be accommodating in these scenarios.
I was thinking I'd call in advance and see if they would let me move to the flight 50 minutes later. Probably just me, but I have had horrible luck with LAX and Eagle. The last time we ended up taxiing for forever and missed my connection between the taxi delay, waiting for valet bag and then taking the bus.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Question for everyone here, I keep getting various answers from the CSRs when I call in.

I currently have award tickets booked for six people one way at 20k Milesaver Off Peak level, however I'll be needing to change one leg due to a medical emergency with one of the individuals on the itinerary.

Currently the award is
Dec 24th:OGG-LAX
June 5th:LAX-VCE via DUS on AB

We are looking to keep the LAX-VCE portion, but simply move the OGG-LAX portion pack to around Feb/March. The individual should be fully recovered by then. What's the best way to go about this? I've called three times to AA and keep getting a range of answers from I have to pay to redeposit the miles to I'll have to drop the first leg completely. Based upon the AA website it was my understanding I can simply change dates, but not cities if I can find availability. I currently have zero status on AA, however am MVPG on AS if that helps any.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Question for everyone here, I keep getting various answers from the CSRs when I call in.

I currently have award tickets booked for six people one way at 20k Milesaver Off Peak level, however I'll be needing to change one leg due to a medical emergency with one of the individuals on the itinerary.

Currently the award is
Dec 24th:OGG-LAX
June 5th:LAX-VCE via DUS on AB

We are looking to keep the LAX-VCE portion, but simply move the OGG-LAX portion pack to around Feb/March. The individual should be fully recovered by then. What's the best way to go about this? I've called three times to AA and keep getting a range of answers from I have to pay to redeposit the miles to I'll have to drop the first leg completely. Based upon the AA website it was my understanding I can simply change dates, but not cities if I can find availability. I currently have zero status on AA, however am MVPG on AS if that helps any.
Find a date in February/March with SAAver availability from OGG to LAX and call AA to change the date of that flight, without charge. That's it.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 4:47 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Find a date in February/March with SAAver availability from OGG to LAX and call AA to change the date of that flight, without charge. That's it.
It doesn't disrupt the LAX-VCE portion at all? Every CSR I've been talking to keeps insisting I need to pay a fee or drop a segment.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by TheChallenge
Originally Posted by guv1976

It doesn't disrupt the LAX-VCE portion at all? Every CSR I've been talking to keeps insisting I need to pay a fee or drop a segment.
Call back and ask for a supervisor. Please let us know what you find out.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Is this actually correct CPM at .03?
Using AA CC, Plat
ord-lax-pvg-lax-ord $1049.00
Mileage Summary

Flight Miles 16460 32920
Booking Class Bonus 0 0
Elite Status Bonus 0 0
Promotion Bonus 0 0
Credit Card Miles 0 0
Trip Total 32920
Cents per Mile (cpm) 3.19

Thank you
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Years ago AA did that, too, and then they published a policy that they would not allow fare rollovers at no charge and you would have to pay the reticketing fee to take advantage of a fare drop. I use to benefit from fare rollovers quite a bit on Europe tickets, buying early and getting a credit back when fares drop. It's just not out there any longer.

Your only real option at this point is if there is a significant change to the flight schedule and you want a refund based on that.

If it's a first class ticket, though, have you checked the fares rules to see if it is fully refundable, or is it a coach ticket with a guaranteed upgrade to F?

AA hasn't offered anything like this for a number of years (thinking at least 6-7 years now).
When I complained about them not honoring the "lowest price guarantee" they did. It was like -$10 on AA.com but more than -$150 on Orbitz. It took about a month but they gave in they finally capitulated.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 5:46 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
What time frame was involved when you noticed the fare difference and submitted your low fare guarantee claim in relation to the original purchase? In the earlier post here, where the poster is looking for a credit, the fare change was three months after purchase and the poster wants a credit from AA for the difference. Does that guarantee go all the way up to departure time?

Originally Posted by stoehrcov
Hi I purchased a first class ticket in August and now the price has gone down about $125 per ticket.
I did find this AA forum thread that references fare differences only on the day of purchase, so may be a very limited window unless things have changed and the thread/wiki is out of date.
AA "Lowest Fare Guarantee"

One line from it:
Claims must be filed via the online form by midnight, Central US Time on the same day of purchase.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
What time frame was involved when you noticed the fare difference and submitted your low fare guarantee claim in relation to the original purchase? In the earlier post here, where the poster is looking for a credit, the fare change was three months after purchase and the poster wants a credit from AA for the difference. Does that guarantee go all the way up to departure time?

I did find this AA forum thread that references fare differences only on the day of purchase, so may be a very limited window unless things have changed and the thread/wiki is out of date.
AA "Lowest Fare Guarantee"

One line from it:
No, in my case it was fewer than 24 hours. I didn't catch the three month part in OP.
Old Nov 19, 2013, 6:04 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Antarius
I was thinking I'd call in advance and see if they would let me move to the flight 50 minutes later. Probably just me, but I have had horrible luck with LAX and Eagle. The last time we ended up taxiing for forever and missed my connection between the taxi delay, waiting for valet bag and then taking the bus.
They will do it as a CFC for $75.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.