Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2013, 4:14 pm

another newbie here who booked to Rome sept 2013. I too encountered high fees/taxes going thru LHR, but $190 fees/taxes when I booked first/business avoiding LHR and flying direct to Rome from ORD.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 7:43 pm
Suspended

Avoiding LHR has little effect on the total amount of taxes, etc that are due. Avoiding BA long haul plus not having a stopover at LHR are the keys to saving money.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by blahblehblah
If I use my credit card to book flights for my family members (all on the same reservation) even though I (the card holder) will not be flying (they are coming to see me), will my family members be able to take advantage of the free baggage/priority boarding benefits?
No, they will not.

Originally Posted by blahblehblah
Do they go by the AAdvantage number?
You've got it. Citi tells AA that you are entitled to the benefits of the card, so you need to be on the reservation. It is not necessary to book using the Citi card. The master thread about these benefits is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-benefits.html
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by blooming
I cannot find the mileage calculator for my 9/2013 trip. CLE to ORD (Y class) to FCO (I class) so that I can figure the EQM/EQP's associated with this trip. I am Gold now, was PLT last year but this is difficult to absorb. thanks
gcmap.com works pretty well, though you need to do the 1.5x/.5x calculations yourself.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:39 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Delta Skymiles
Hey, thanks for the help. With that info, I can fly Boston-LHR on American, and Air Berlin to Oslo with FFM and only pay $24.00 fees! Great
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:44 am

Programs: DL GLD; AA GLD; CO GLD
Hi,

Does anyone know if an award reservation made and held online becomes unbookable online once you make a change via phone?

For example, my reservation is currently held as XXX-MIA-TXL-CPH-MIA-YYY (with XXX and YYY being domestic u.s. cities and stopovers in MIA both directions).

I want to change the MIA-YYY flight before ticketing, but aa.com doesn't allow changes online. I am wondering the following: if I call AA to make a change to the MIA-YYY flight, when the time comes to ticket the itinerary, will I be able to complete the process online, or will I have to call them and incur additional fees?

thanks!

(For the record, I have considered just booking an entirely new reservation online, but it's not showing availability for all my segments now...)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EXP, SPG-Plat
Anyone know if VIP upgrades work on international flights on other airlines?

and if not if being a EXP helps upgrades.

thanks!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 2:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by partortoch
Hey, thanks for the help. With that info, I can fly Boston-LHR on American, and Air Berlin to Oslo with FFM and only pay $24.00 fees! Great
I wouldn't count on it.

US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $2.50
German Airport Security Tax (DE) $5.90
German Passenger Service Charge (RA) $13.70
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) $29.20
TOTAL: $51.30
Old Jan 27, 2013, 8:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by xxmimxx
Anyone know if VIP upgrades work on international flights on other airlines?
For now, just on AA metal. There's been speculation since the joint venture with BA a few years ago that we'd be able to use them there, but it's never happened.

and if not if being a EXP helps upgrades.
I've had a couple of comped upgrades on Qantas over the years, but you really can't predict when/if that's going to happen. There is no published benefit offering comped upgrades on partners.

Check this megathread covering the last 7 years:
Operational Upgrades (op up) - all about and "I got one" (consolidated)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Previous booking combos

Can someone please help me! What was the fare called where you could book it and if first became available they gave you first. I am probably explaining it incorrectly. On the new website they show you choices for extra luggage and drinks but this was for a seat . Did they do away with this type of fare? Am I remembering it incorrectly. Tried searching but can't figure out the correct wording to get me anywhere.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:13 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Plato1
Can someone please help me! What was the fare called where you could book it and if first became available they gave you first. I am probably explaining it incorrectly. On the new website they show you choices for extra luggage and drinks but this was for a seat . Did they do away with this type of fare? Am I remembering it incorrectly. Tried searching but can't figure out the correct wording to get me anywhere.
Choice, Choice Plus?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 7:58 am

Quick Question. My signup miles from the Citi credit cards last year (150k miles total) are set to expire this November. I had spent money on those credit cards in May 2012.

Are these signup bonus miles subject to the same expiration preventing measures as regular miles? Or are they on a different timer and cannot be prevented from expiring?
Old Jan 28, 2013, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by IceWilly
Quick Question. My signup miles from the Citi credit cards last year (150k miles total) are set to expire this November. I had spent money on those credit cards in May 2012.

Are these signup bonus miles subject to the same expiration preventing measures as regular miles? Or are they on a different timer and cannot be prevented from expiring?
If you have no account activity between now and November, the cc miles will expire, they are on the same timer as all other miles.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:45 am

I wasn't sure if the signup miles were able to be "renewed" or if they had their own expiration timer that couldn't be altered by spending/etc. Appears they are all in the same pile and follow the same rules, thank you!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 9:53 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Plato1
It was called "Instant Upgrade." If you look at the First/Business tab in the current abomination...uh, view, it will be the (typically) cheapest option there on the left.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.