Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Nov 11, 2013, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by thexfactor
If I book EWR-ORD-NRT with AA, can I change to JFK-NRT without change fee?

What about if I booked LGA-ORD-NRT, can I change to JFK-NRT without change fee then?

(FWIW, CSR told me fee in both cases.)
The CSR was correct, as to both situations. Changing the origin or destination airport -- even to a co-terminal -- triggers the fee. That said, there have been occasional reports of the fee's not being charged in such situations. But that would just be a matter of luck.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The CSR was correct, as to both situations. Changing the origin or destination airport -- even to a co-terminal -- triggers the fee. That said, there have been occasional reports of the fee's not being charged in such situations. But that would just be a matter of luck.
Thanks.

One more question:

If O/D remain the same, is there any change fee for changing routing/partners with AA miles?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thexfactor
Originally Posted by guv1976

Thanks.

One more question:

If O/D remain the same, is there any change fee for changing routing/partners with AA miles?
As long as the old routing and the new routing contain only oneworld carriers, there is no charge.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 7:11 pm

Thank once again.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 3:20 am

Hi all

Newbie question.

I have booked a holiday to New York via British Airways which is a codeshare with AA.

When I booked I was "passed through" to the AA site and choose my seats. They are in economy and used seatguru etc to pick the best I could.

I have been checking the airline since then and today (one month before travel) they have added "preferred seats" to the cabin layout and my 2 seats now have the little dollar sign on them, but I am sitting there and the BA website says "confirmed seating".

Could AA try and charge me for these seats now?
(I have not given AA my payment details, just BA)

Will I encounter any check in issues?

Thanks
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:32 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by maggie08
My SO and I are going to vegas for new years.

Currently have tickets for a return trip on Jan 4 (LAS -> DFW). However due to a change in work schedule and having more IHG hotel points than I thought, we are now wanting to return on Jan 5.

Outright change will costs us $295/person (fee change plus flight difference), and just straight up buying new one-way tickets for the return trip is basically the same at $301/person. But I'd really rather not shell out an extra $600 period.

I've been sitting on this and waiting for any AA initiated change, hoping that it would grant me the option to change to the next day without the fee.

Today a change was issued... but only by 10 minutes. I tried, and a 10 minute change isn't enough to be bumped to the next day without a fee. (btw I'm a mere Gold and called the Gold customer service line.)

So a couple of questions:

1. What are the chances that there will be a second AA initiated flight schedule change? And that change be great enough to have leverage bumping me to the next day's flight without the fee change?

2. I'll be PLT mid December... any chance I'll have better luck with the PLT customer service line? (though I'd rather not wait that long: greater chance that 2 MCE seats together in the AB column will be gone). Or conversely, any other line that is best to call for more lenient customer service reps?

3. Any other solutions/suggestions?
No one can give you a real percentage on the chances of a "significant" schedule change, but it will not make a difference if you are GLD or PLT. Here are the schedule change rules:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...e_240_80.jsp#1

With apologies for the delay, the above post has now been released from the moderation queue and members are invited to respond.

/Moderator
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:45 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Forgot a Domestic Leg on a Partner Award Redemption

Wife is an AA Plat. We booked this one-way award trip in biz class in August:

PUS-NRT-SAN all on JL, but I forgot to add a domestic segment like this:

PUS-NRT-SAN (stop) - somewhere in USA flying on AA

What's the change fee to add another segment? The two of us are flying on one PNR.

Reservation agent charged me a $50 telephone booking fee even though JL flights cannot be booked on AA.com. Is this correct?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Wife is an AA Plat. We booked this one-way award trip in biz class in August:

PUS-NRT-SAN all on JL, but I forgot to add a domestic segment like this:

PUS-NRT-SAN (stop) - somewhere in USA flying on AA

What's the change fee to add another segment? The two of us are flying on one PNR.

Reservation agent charged me a $50 telephone booking fee even though JL flights cannot be booked on AA.com. Is this correct?
Telephone-ticketing fee was correctly charged.

Re-deposit/re-claim fee is $150 for the first ticket, plus $25 for each additional ticket redeemed from the same AAdvantage account. Note that you will only be able to add on a city for which JL publishes a through-fare from PUS that permits routing via SAN. That restriction might limit your options significantly -- or might not.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:12 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
This is a real newbie question I am afraid (I'm going to be a refugee from Dividend Miles after today's news). I want to fly from London to Sydney using AAdvantage Miles, in business or first. I don't yet understand the difference between the various AA awards. If I want to stop either once in total or once each way en route, which award am I looking at and what is likely to be the best availability route and with whom (& how likely am I to find anything?)?
Old Nov 12, 2013, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by louie-m
This is a real newbie question I am afraid (I'm going to be a refugee from Dividend Miles after today's news). I want to fly from London to Sydney using AAdvantage Miles, in business or first. I don't yet understand the difference between the various AA awards. If I want to stop either once in total or once each way en route, which award am I looking at and what is likely to be the best availability route and with whom (& how likely am I to find anything?)?
Distance-based "Explorer" awards permit en-route stopovers on such an itinerary; AA's one-way awards do not, so you would need to book two one-way awards for LON-XXX-SYD if you wanted to stop over en route.

Which option would cost fewer miles might vary depending on where the stopover was, and whether you would be flying Business or First. You just need to do the calculations both ways and compare the costs.

The aa.com website will show you current award availability on some -- but not all -- of AA's partners. You can call AA, or use some other website, to check availability on the others.

Avoid flights on BA, unless you are willing to pay hefty surcharges.

Take a look at the Sticky near the top of this forum for detailed information about the different AA award types.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:46 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
OK, I really feel dumb that I can't figure this out but I was looking into booking my wife and two daughters a spring trip to London using points. But as I got into it I'm seeing that AA wants to charge me anywhere from $600 to $1400 in fees in addition to my miles. What the heck is that all about? Is there a trick to avoiding them? Are there routes or days of the week or whatever to reduce those? Makes no sense to me.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:50 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Question Fee to Change Award on Hawaiian from Economy to Biz

Hi all,

I have two award seats on hold with American right now. They're on Hawaiian metal from HNL to HND in economy. If two biz seats open up can I switch the awards to biz without a charge or will I have to pay a fee? One other question: Does American often (ever?) have Hawaiian business class award availability? Thank you all!

Last edited by meecal; Nov 12, 2013 at 8:32 pm
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:00 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Biggdan
OK, I really feel dumb that I can't figure this out but I was looking into booking my wife and two daughters a spring trip to London using points. But as I got into it I'm seeing that AA wants to charge me anywhere from $600 to $1400 in fees in addition to my miles. What the heck is that all about? Is there a trick to avoiding them? Are there routes or days of the week or whatever to reduce those? Makes no sense to me.
I seems like you are selecting flights operated by BA which charges high fuel surcharges for their flights. To avoid these fees make sure you are booking on AA operated flights.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Biggdan
Feel free to check out the following thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HNL
I seems like you are selecting flights operated by BA which charges high fuel surcharges for their flights. To avoid these fees make sure you are booking on AA operated flights.
My original attempt did include a BA flight and the fees were enormous (about $650 per person). My next attempt excluded BA and the fees were less but still about $300 per person. Just seems ridiculous.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.