Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 8, 13, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by where next View Post
hi,
does anyone have experience of carrying bikes on AA? flying JFK-LAX, LAS-JFK later this month in F, considering taking my bike with me. Looking at AA website says $150 fee each way. Is this waived in F or for OWE (BA Gold) ? if not will look to rent at destination instead and save the hassle.
It depends on the size of the bike; From aa.com:

If bicycle and container are less than 62 dimensional inches and under 50 lbs., the bike is charged the applicable 1st checked bag rate
so if the bike fits this criteria, then it would get the basic bag charge - and given your status/class of service, that would be waived. However, if it is larger, then you'll be charged the $150/each way.
Old Nov 8, 13, 8:35 am

Thanks

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
To get to HRE you will need to get to JNB first then make a connection on BA partner airline Comair.

check ba.com and aa.com to see the respective award charts to determine how many miles you will need.

To upgrade paid economy tickets on BA with AA miles you must purchase the most expensive economy fares.
Thank you! I have just enough AA miles to get us from DFW-JNB (including a stop in London to visit family) and I can use my avios points to go from JNB-HRE. Now if only I could avoid those pesky taxes and fees!
Old Nov 8, 13, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
You are not allowed to transit a third region on an award between Asia 2 and the South Pacific, so CX via HKG that will require 2 awards.

A more comprehensive list of general rules is in the first post, here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html
HKG is also part of Asia 2 - so no transit on a 3rd region. Would an AA agent allow me to book SIN-HKG-SYD though? Since I would have to go up north a bit, then head down to Aus...
If CX publishes a SIN-SYD through-fare via HKG, then AA should allow you to book it as a single award. However, you would have to pay AA's telephone-ticketing fee, since you cannot book CX award flights at aa.com.
Old Nov 8, 13, 10:13 am

Programs: SQ,KL,MH,QR,PR, CX,Hyatt,Marriott
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If CX publishes a SIN-SYD through-fare via HKG, then AA should allow you to book it as a single award. However, you would have to pay AA's telephone-ticketing fee, since you cannot book CX award flights at aa.com.
Just checked the CX website - yes, they allow SIN-SYD bookings via HKG. Also checked availability through BA and QF websites, and all seem ok. Thanks a lot!
Old Nov 8, 13, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post

Just checked the CX website - yes, they allow SIN-SYD bookings via HKG. Also checked availability through BA and QF websites, and all seem ok. Thanks a lot!
While I expect that you will be OK, the fact that the CX website will sell you a SIN-HKG-SYD ticket is not dispositive. The website might be combining a SIN-HKG fare with a HKG-SYD fare to produce the fare quote. That would not satisfy AA's requirement of a published through-fare.

And what other FFPs allow is similarly not controlling. BA, for example, charges Avios for each flight flown, so BA's program will allow any routing you are willing to pay for.
Old Nov 8, 13, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel View Post
HKG is also part of Asia 2 - so no transit on a 3rd region. Would an AA agent allow me to book SIN-HKG-SYD though? Since I would have to go up north a bit, then head down to Aus...
Yes, I see that now. I'm not sure where I thought you were starting from when I wrote that. That's what I get for being on FT at 4am...

Luckily, guv1976 came and saved the day, as I was hoping
Old Nov 8, 13, 1:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold/HH Diamond/CC Gold/Hyatt Explorist
Hello all! My question is relating to the best use of a stopover on an AA award. I have two major trips planned for the next year 1)Hawaii & 2)Sydney. I am based out of OMA.

My question is, what would be the best use of stopovers? I've been considering this in a few different ways but wanted to get other opinions.

1) Stopover in HNL with eventual flight to SYD. (Only issue with this is getting back to HNL before the SYD trip)

2) Stopover in ORD on the way back from HNL (Avios home to OMA) and route out of the states for another vacation between the Hawaii & Syd trip. 50,000 Aadvantage miles in business could get me from HNL-LAX-ORD-Europe.

3) Stopover somewhere in the continental US to position a flight overseas for a first-class United award to SYD. For example, Thai airways has great availability from BKK-SYD and I'd also love to spend a few days in Thailand. SIN also came to mind. Is there any way to use my stopover to get to Asia before heading to Australia? It would be great to get somewhere with favorable first-class redemptions to SYD.

Thanks for any insight, it is very much appreciated!
Old Nov 8, 13, 3:29 pm

If I book MAD-GYE as LA6151* (Operated by IBERIA FOR LAN ECUADOR) in L will I earn 100% AA miles as per the LAN chart or 80% as per the Iberia chart?
Old Nov 8, 13, 6:59 pm

Programs: American
Advantage Gold Changes 2014

Hello -

Newbie and totally lost how and where to post this and can't find even thru Google an answer
Got letter from Advantage Program that next year can't reserve choice seats until 24 hours before flight or have to pay 50% of the regular non status flyer charge for premium seating in main cabin - Why is there no threds on this

Thanks much
Old Nov 8, 13, 7:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by wamiii View Post
Hello -

Newbie and totally lost how and where to post this and can't find even thru Google an answer
Got letter from Advantage Program that next year can't reserve choice seats until 24 hours before flight or have to pay 50% of the regular non status flyer charge for premium seating in main cabin - Why is there no threds on this

Thanks much
This is the thread you are looking for:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...8-14-more.html

The policy applies to Gold elite members. Non-status passengers have to pay full price. Platinum and Executive Platinum can reserve MCE seats for free any time.
Old Nov 8, 13, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by wamiii View Post
Hello -

Thanks much
Are you talking about the change in policy regarding Main Cabin Extra seats for AAdvantage Gold members? If so, the thread is here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...8-14-more.html

Welcome to FT!

Edit: SFOPhD beat me to it.
Old Nov 9, 13, 5:48 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP
Good morning AAers.

I suspect I am going to get to know a few of you since I am a disgruntled UA flyer who has just received the 12k miles/points offer (plus 20 500-mile certs) for PLAT.

2 questions that I could not find answered in the other forums:

1. Anyone heard of success converting this to a EXP challenge? (and would you recommend that?)

2. Mrs Lurker and I almost always fly together (so she is a similar value flyer) but she did not get the offer. Anyone had any success requesting the PLAT offer for a spouse? I would be hard-pressed to take them up on it unless we both get it.

Thanks in advance

Lurker
Old Nov 9, 13, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
1. Anyone heard of success converting this to a EXP challenge? (and would you recommend that?)
EXP is *much* better than PLT, complementary upgrades, SWUs, FL lounge access on int'l flights. There are EXP challenges, but they are pretty rare and usually invitation only. The best thing would be to call AA and ask if you can 'up' the challenge. It would probably require at least 25K to 30K EQP - w/in a short period - to achieve. (Also you note that the challenge you are on requires 12K points/miles - double check to make sure this is the case b/c on AA points and miles are two very different things.

Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
2. Mrs Lurker and I almost always fly together (so she is a similar value flyer) but she did not get the offer. Anyone had any success requesting the PLAT offer for a spouse? I would be hard-pressed to take them up on it unless we both get it.
Does she also have 1K status? If so, then call AA and ask for both of you to be placed on the PLT (or EXP) challenge. AA has been very proactive in attracting US elites, so it is possible.

For a PLT challenge, however, you do not have to receive an invitation. There is also one where you can sign up and pay a fee for the challenge - so no matter what she'd be able to do an AA challenge, its just a matter of whether or not you wish to pay for it.
Old Nov 9, 13, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA PLAT
elite status calendar

Long time non-elite AAdvantage member, though due to a fluke in work schedule, I just qualified for Gold for the first time a few weeks ago and will be 6 segments short of platinum on Dec 31.

In deciding if it's worth it to go for it, I'm trying to find out how long the perks of platinum will last?

This page suggests until Feb 28 2015.

However the pdf membership guides (external link also found here) suggests Feb 28 2014. (page 14) ...As in about 90 measly days from now.

I have a couple planned international flights in April and May, and platinum status would be nice for those. But if But I'll be kicking myself if I use up vacation days and $$ trying to platinum qualify only to have those benefits expire just before those trips.

clarification from seasoned elites?

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 13, 4:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage and New York City

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by maggie08 View Post
Long time non-elite AAdvantage member, though due to a fluke in work schedule, I just qualified for Gold for the first time a few weeks ago and will be 6 segments short of platinum on Dec 31.

In deciding if it's worth it to go for it, I'm trying to find out how long the perks of platinum will last?

This page suggests until Feb 28 2015.

However the pdf membership guides (external link also found here) suggests Feb 28 2014. (page 14) ...As in about 90 measly days from now.

I have a couple planned international flights in April and May, and platinum status would be nice for those. But if But I'll be kicking myself if I use up vacation days and $$ trying to platinum qualify only to have those benefits expire just before those trips.

clarification from seasoned elites?

Thanks!
Welcome to FlyerTalk, maggie08!

If you qualify for PLT before the end of the year, you will enjoy that status thru Feb 28, 2015. The PDF guide probably just hasn't been updated.

Since it's a bit confusing, this would be a great question to add to our FAQ, so thanks for asking it!

Search this Thread