Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:41 am

i am trying to get on 1522. Whether it would be same day confirmed or same day standby. I know i can get on the free one but if it is sold out my chances are kinda limited in trying to standby. My ticketed flight is on 197 at 5.10pm. If i cant get on the 1522, i wouldn't be fly out on Saturday would i?
Well it is a little early to do standby as you can only do that day off. I'm planning on going to SJC in the morning to get the Ticket agent to get me on the list. I am assuming any agent at an airport can do. but my chances are limited if the flight is sold out.

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Ok first of all, there are two different things: same day standby (free for elites), and same day confirmed flight change ($75 regardless of status). Which one are you trying to do?

If there's no E inventory for that flight, then you won't be able to CFC onto that flight. But there's no reason you shouldn't be allowed to standby for that flight. Did you ask to standby, and was refused? If so, call again.

Are you talking the AA1522 redeye on Friday? That flight is currently Y1, but there more than 1/3 of the seats are unoccupied (mostly premium seats). Possibly lots of non-elites have tickets but opted not to pay for a seat, or maybe they're restricting inventory for some other reason.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by kaiotes
i am trying to get on 1522. Whether it would be same day confirmed or same day standby. I know i can get on the free one but if it is sold out my chances are kinda limited in trying to standby. My ticketed flight is on 197 at 5.10pm. If i cant get on the 1522, i wouldn't be fly out on Saturday would i?
Well it is a little early to do standby as you can only do that day off. I'm planning on going to SJC in the morning to get the Ticket agent to get me on the list. I am assuming any agent at an airport can do. but my chances are limited if the flight is sold out.
If you attempt to standby (not CFC) and you don't clear, then you will be on rolling standby for the next available flight until you clear, even if that means that you must overnight then come back in the morning to try again.

Also, you never know. You're EXP, so you should be high up on the list. The flight being oversold now may turn into a few empty seats right before pushback.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:01 am

EXP desk said i'm "SOL" if i dont get on the redeye

THey are wrong?
i've never tried standing by overnight.

If you attempt to standby (not CFC) and you don't clear, then you will be on rolling standby for the next available flight until you clear, even if that means that you must overnight then come back in the morning to try again.

Also, you never know. You're EXP, so you should be high up on the list. The flight being oversold now may turn into a few empty seats right before pushback.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:22 am

EXP desk said i'm "SOL" if i dont get on the redeye

THey are wrong?
i've never tried standing by overnight.
There's no difference between standing by for a redeye (that departs on the same calendar day) and standing by for an afternoon flight that is the last one of the day.

Did you call back and speak to another agent like I suggested?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by relangford
Why do airlines (not just AA) credit the traveler and not the one who pays, but hotel programs require that the traveler must pay and not a client? Guess it makes sense to the companies involved.
My guess is airlines want the business regardless where the money comes from. The idea being the traveler has more say in which airline they fly. Rewarding that decision maker is the game plan. And given all program decisions are done at the program level, it allows for a much more consistent implementation.

Many hotels are franchises owned by people paying to fly a particular flag. My take is they are more interested in maximizing revenue and not garnering customer loyalty to properties other than their own. It's a bit deceptive having little caveats in the T&Cs that allow them to deny program benefits. Even just the ability to code a stay as eligible for credit is fraught with possible errors.

I have read reports of some properties being so petty as to deny credit if the spouse settles the bill and not the member. Even some have reported using a corporate card got push back as well. Imagine if GAs were allowed to decide if you should earn credit for a flight!
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
E-Ticket

I have an E-ticket expiring very soon, already 11 months from issue. I forgot I had it. Can I buy a refundable ticket now and then cancel and then have an extension on the ticket without loosing the value of my eticket minus the fee to change?

Thanks
Old Nov 7, 2013, 10:37 am

called back this morning
agent was basically like it's at the airport's discretion.
currently it is no longer full.
i guess i'll give standby a shot
would hate to have to spend 6 hrs in the airport over night.

thanks

There's no difference between standing by for a redeye (that departs on the same calendar day) and standing by for an afternoon flight that is the last one of the day.

Did you call back and speak to another agent like I suggested?
Old Nov 7, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: MP, AA, HHGold, IHG Plat
Can I route my one way award ticket from MIA to NYC via YUL? MIA-YUL-NYC? I have tried online and it shows up two separate one way awards. I am trying to avoid spending extra miles.
Thank you for your help.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by niltula
Can I route my one way award ticket from MIA to NYC via YUL? MIA-YUL-NYC? I have tried online and it shows up two separate one way awards. I am trying to avoid spending extra miles.
Thank you for your help.
No. AA awards for travel between one U.S. city and another U.S. city do not permit connections via Canada.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Note that the standby list is ordered not by when you get on the list, but by check-in time. You can do an online check-in at 5:10 pm on Thursday, that will maximize your chances. There's no need to go to the airport early, but you do need to call AA tomorrow before the 5:10 departure to let them know you plan to stand by for a later flight (otherwise your ticket will be cancelled).

Sold out flights are tough, but as an EXP on the last flight of the day, with a T-30 hour check in, I'll bet you'll be #1 on the list. Good luck.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 3:45 pm

Programs: BA GfL, TK *G+
hi,
does anyone have experience of carrying bikes on AA? flying JFK-LAX, LAS-JFK later this month in F, considering taking my bike with me. Looking at AA website says $150 fee each way. Is this waived in F or for OWE (BA Gold) ? if not will look to rent at destination instead and save the hassle.

Did a quick search but most answers regarding bicycles were quite old,

many thanks

Where Next
Old Nov 7, 2013, 4:47 pm

ok
thanks. will check-in in in 90 min

Originally Posted by swag
Note that the standby list is ordered not by when you get on the list, but by check-in time. You can do an online check-in at 5:10 pm on Thursday, that will maximize your chances. There's no need to go to the airport early, but you do need to call AA tomorrow before the 5:10 departure to let them know you plan to stand by for a later flight (otherwise your ticket will be cancelled).

Sold out flights are tough, but as an EXP on the last flight of the day, with a T-30 hour check in, I'll bet you'll be #1 on the list. Good luck.
Old Nov 8, 2013, 12:19 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
Hi - planning to redeem a SIN-SYD award ticket. While there is an available direct QF flight - I prefer to take CX via HKG. Is this permitted, or is it against the redemptions rules (bec. it's probably backtracking from SIN-HKG)? Thanks!
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by bluegreentravel
Hi - planning to redeem a SIN-SYD award ticket. While there is an available direct QF flight - I prefer to take CX via HKG. Is this permitted, or is it against the redemptions rules (bec. it's probably backtracking from SIN-HKG)? Thanks!
You are not allowed to transit a third region on an award between Asia 2 and the South Pacific, so CX via HKG that will require 2 awards.

A more comprehensive list of general rules is in the first post, here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html
Old Nov 8, 2013, 3:21 am

Programs: CX,SQ,PR,QR
You are not allowed to transit a third region on an award between Asia 2 and the South Pacific, so CX via HKG that will require 2 awards.

A more comprehensive list of general rules is in the first post, here.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html
HKG is also part of Asia 2 - so no transit on a 3rd region. Would an AA agent allow me to book SIN-HKG-SYD though? Since I would have to go up north a bit, then head down to Aus...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.