Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 21, 13, 12:54 pm
Formerly known as cedricgerald

Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Not true. Here at AA, it's the status of the passenger that matters. It doesn't matter who paid for the ticket or sponsored the upgrade.
That's what I thought, but the agent told me that who paid the miles is also a factor in addition to the PAX status.

So it's clear / sure for everyone that the agent was wrong ?

I need to 2 upgrades on a 14 J seats TATL bird with only a low plat status so would like to put all chance on my sides
Old Oct 21, 13, 1:32 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, AS 75K Gold MVP, and some hotel stuff...
Originally Posted by bevoinva View Post

I see that you can use an SWU for up to 3 segments each way. My question is how this works when you have a 4 segment itinerary. Would I be given a choice when I call in as to which 3 segments to apply the upgrade to?

You get to choose your 3 segments. Just let the EXP agent know when you call to apply the SWU

Also, on a related note, I have also seen on the SWU thread that if any of your segments clear they will deduct the SWU from your account. My ORD-PEK leg is showing no upgrade availability on Expert Flyer so that will be waitlisted. What is the best way to handle the request - just request for the ORD-PEK flight and when that flight clears, go back and determine whether I can upgrade the other domestic segments at that time with the SWU? For any segment over the three that I can't get the SWU applied, can I depend on a normal complementary upgrade based on my EXP status?

You can specify the three desired segments and the preference (which is the default) to only upgrade the domestic legs if the international is upgraded. As for the other segment, that may be more dicey. Some folks request the "sticker" upgrade on those even if they're covered by the SWU. Some have reported problems, others not. I don't know what happens if one segment is not technically covered by the SWU and requested separately as I've never done that.

Thanks for your assistance.
Cheers.
Old Oct 21, 13, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP
I will likely need to cancel a domestic saaver award booking of 4 seats on AS flights, 50K miles total. Is there any way to reduce the cancellation/change fee by changing to a single international ticket with those miles, or am I stuck paying 4 change/cancel/redeposit fees or just letting the miles go? I have no status. TIA
Old Oct 21, 13, 5:21 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by cedricgerald View Post
That's what I thought, but the agent told me that who paid the miles is also a factor in addition to the PAX status.

So it's clear / sure for everyone that the agent was wrong ?

I need to 2 upgrades on a 14 J seats TATL bird with only a low plat status so would like to put all chance on my sides
To the best of my knowledge, I agree with Apieinthesky that the agent is wrong.
Old Oct 21, 13, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, ICH Platinum, HHonors Platinum, Marriott Gold
After being a Delta Medallion (Currently Diamond) for almost two decades, I have recently been transfered to Fort Worth. I am seriously considering American, just to make my life easier. Do they give reciprocity? What is the best timing to ask for this (first of the year?) For some of you that have dealt with both, what am I liable to like better or worse about American? Thank you in advance
Old Oct 21, 13, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by KennyBSAT View Post
I will likely need to cancel a domestic saaver award booking of 4 seats on AS flights, 50K miles total. Is there any way to reduce the cancellation/change fee by changing to a single international ticket with those miles, or am I stuck paying 4 change/cancel/redeposit fees or just letting the miles go? I have no status. TIA
Did you book them all from one account - or 4 separate accounts? If just one account, then you are looking at 225 in fees:

When requesting a reinstatement, a $150 USD processing charge will be assessed per account for the first award ticket. Any additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 USD per ticket add-on charge."
However, if they came out of 4 different accounts, then the fee is 150/ticket.
Old Oct 22, 13, 5:52 am

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by bdemaria View Post
Did you book them all from one account - or 4 separate accounts? If just one account, then you are looking at 225 in fees:

However, if they came out of 4 different accounts, then the fee is 150/ticket.
One account, all booked at the same time, same PNR. Thanks, I just thought maybe I could get that down to one $150 change fee if I 'changed' that ticket (or 4 of them) to just one.
Old Oct 22, 13, 10:00 am

Hi All,
I want to book a one way award ticket from Cun-LAX-NRT with stopover at LAX on business class.
On my desired date, cun-lax only has economy available, can I combine economy (cun-lax) with business (lax-nrt) in one award. Of course, I am willing to pay the business mileage.

Thanks a lot
Old Oct 22, 13, 10:08 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missmissing View Post
Hi All,
I want to book a one way award ticket from Cun-LAX-NRT with stopover at LAX on business class.
On my desired date, cun-lax only has economy available, can I combine economy (cun-lax) with business (lax-nrt) in one award. Of course, I am willing to pay the business mileage.

Thanks a lot
Yup. You'd book it as business with a "voluntary downgrade" on the CUN-LAX leg. Of course, you're entitled to Business, so you would want to check periodically to see if inventory opens up so that you can change for free.

Oh, and welcome to FT

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 13, 1:06 pm

I'm still confused how upgrades work. I bought 5 upgrades from AA.com and they are in my account. I have a 7 segment trip coming up next month and I requested an upgrade on DFW-ORD and ORD-DFW segments.

How does this process work? I've seen in other threads where people got notice their upgrade cleared weeks before a trip. I thought it was 24/72/100 hours? So, will I be eligible in the 24 hour window to be upgraded in AA's system since I am Gold status when I check-in online? I'm not expecting to be upgraded I'm curious as to how the system works.

Also, if I check-in online at T-24 hours and then get to the terminal and re-check-in to get a paper boarding pass would this affect my ranking on the upgrade list?
Old Oct 22, 13, 1:38 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salesflyerguy View Post
I'm still confused how upgrades work. I bought 5 upgrades from AA.com and they are in my account. I have a 7 segment trip coming up next month and I requested an upgrade on DFW-ORD and ORD-DFW segments.

How does this process work? I've seen in other threads where people got notice their upgrade cleared weeks before a trip. I thought it was 24/72/100 hours? So, will I be eligible in the 24 hour window to be upgraded in AA's system since I am Gold status when I check-in online? I'm not expecting to be upgraded I'm curious as to how the system works.

Also, if I check-in online at T-24 hours and then get to the terminal and re-check-in to get a paper boarding pass would this affect my ranking on the upgrade list?
You'll want to check the Upgrade section of the FAQ for more information on this, but here's the gist of your questions:

The upgrades that clear before the 100/72/24 hour window use different upgrade instruments. You're talking about what are called "stickers" or e-500s, or something similar, for a variety of reasons. The ones that clear earlier are SWU/eVIP or miles+copay.

Check-in has no bearing on the upgrade process. You can check-in and still keep your original place on the list - based on status and original request time. There's also no need to re-check and get a paper BP at the airport. This will have no impact, unless you've cleared and need a new BP for the new seat.

Cheers.
Old Oct 22, 13, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by brp View Post
You'll want to check the Upgrade section of the FAQ for more information on this, but here's the gist of your questions:

The upgrades that clear before the 100/72/24 hour window use different upgrade instruments. You're talking about what are called "stickers" or e-500s, or something similar, for a variety of reasons. The ones that clear earlier are SWU/eVIP or miles+copay.

Check-in has no bearing on the upgrade process. You can check-in and still keep your original place on the list - based on status and original request time. There's also no need to re-check and get a paper BP at the airport. This will have no impact, unless you've cleared and need a new BP for the new seat.

Cheers.
Thanks, that clarifies it for me.
Old Oct 22, 13, 3:34 pm

Programs: BAEC CCR, BAEC Lifetime GGL, Hilton Hhonors Lifetime Diamond
I have an international to international connection coming up - in transit in MIA. I arrive into MIA on AA934 arriving from EZE at 6:05PM and connect onwards to LHR on AA38 departing 8:55PM on the same evening. This is all booked on one through AA 001 stock ticket.

My understanding is that I will check my bags in at EZE then clear US CBP immigration at MIA on arrival there. I have an Irish (EU) passport. I know it can be a slow process there.

What I am unclear about is whether I need to collect my bags in MIA, go through customs and recheck the bags (the process for a US Domestic connection) or whether I can exit customs following Immigration check and go landside without my bags appearing on the carousel (presuming they will be transferred to my next international flight without needing to be presented to US CBP and then re-checked)?

I know I will not have much time in MIA and do not want to stand around the baggage carousel if my bags are automatically transferred between flights. Worse still I do not want to arrive in LHR having not lifted and rechecked my bags only to find they have not been loaded onto my LHR flight and are pre-customs, post immigration at MIA on the baggage belt with the arriving EZE luggage.

I know AA MIA terminal quite well and plan to go back through security and go to the Admiral's Club at Area D30 or E gates for a shower before my second flight.

Can I expect the connection to be tight (nearly 3 hours) if my incoming flight arrives around 6PM? My last memory of MIA immigration was slow at that time of day.

All advice and opinions very gratefully received. Thanks.
Old Oct 22, 13, 4:04 pm

What is the fee to upgraded Cathay J to F within 21 days of departure? Is the fee same for over 21 days?
Old Oct 22, 13, 4:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm Gold, will be Plat very soon. I have a reservation on a discounted/restricted Coach fare that I'd like to rebook/change. Will AA charge me a fee to do this? Does status help in any way for a situation like this?

Thanks!

Search this Thread