Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by italdesign
I booked a revenue segment for my partner. I will not be on the same flight. We're both Citi AA card holders but this is a surprise for him so I booked it under my AA account and paid with my AA card. Would he be eligible for his card benefits such as free checked bag and priority boarding?
From what I have read, yes. The benefit applies to the passenger regardless who pays for the ticket. Just make sure his AA# is attached to the rez.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: Maker's Mark Ambassador
Booking I fare (Biz) on 2-cabin domestic flights

I was looking at a number of TATL fares I might have to buy in the near future and came across something strange.

An international leg on Jet Airways in business class (P) followed by a domestic leg (well Canada - US) on AA in business class (I), only on a 737, which if memory serves me well (it's been a while since I flew AA) has only coach and first.

So which cabin is I since there is no business?

(ticket sold by Jet Airways)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:16 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by bluegrinch
I was looking at a number of TATL fares I might have to buy in the near future and came across something strange.

An international leg on Jet Airways in business class (P) followed by a domestic leg (well Canada - US) on AA in business class (I), only on a 737, which if memory serves me well (it's been a while since I flew AA) has only coach and first.

So which cabin is I since there is no business?

(ticket sold by Jet Airways)
US-Canada flights have business and coach
US Domestic has first and coach
(it's the same cabin up front - just with a different name)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 9:35 am

Programs: SPG, AA, HH, IHG
Hi,

I probably already know my answer but ask for sure.
I am going to sign up for the platinum challenge and will book a flight between old year and new year. And I suppose the segments that I fly in 2013 will be credited in 2013 and so expired very soon and the segments in 2014 will be credited in 2014 and will valid until end of the year, am I right? =)

Thanks in advance

BTW does AA still offer status match from UA? e.g. premier gold

Last edited by LiamAP; Sep 29, 2013 at 9:59 am
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LiamAP
Hi,

I probably already know my answer but ask for sure.
I am going to sign up for the platinum challenge and will book a flight between old year and new year. And I suppose the segments that I fly in 2013 will be credited in 2013 and so expired very soon and the segments in 2014 will be credited in 2014 and will valid until end of the year, am I right? =)
Yes: regular qualifying activity is based on the calendar year.

However, for the challenge, the qualification criteria is different: so if you sign up for a challenge that last from say, 12/13 - 2/14; then the 2013 activity will count toward your PLT status.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:41 am

If I ask to be wait listed for an upgrade using miles + copay on TATL flight and the upgrade cleared T-1 or 2 days, can I move back and have my miles and money back at no charges ?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 12:22 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
If I ask to be wait listed for an upgrade using miles + copay on TATL flight and the upgrade cleared T-1 or 2 days, can I move back and have my miles and money back at no charges ?
No to the Cop-pay $$. There is a fee to re-deposit the miles. Not sure if you would have to have your original fare class (O,S,Q, etc) available or not, seems like it does.

And why, after being upgraded, would you want to move back to economy?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 1:08 pm

I used my AA points for a reward ticket SFO-HKG-SFO on CX. My passport has the following info:
Surname
Christian Name, Chinese Name1, Chinese Name2

My Secure Flight data matches my passport, but my e-ticket only has Surname, Christian Name

Will I have problems boarding in SFO and/or HKG?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bluegrinch
Perhaps a WestJet, WS, codeshare? Does the Jet ticket receipt not specify the operating carrier?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
No to the Cop-pay $$. There is a fee to re-deposit the miles. Not sure if you would have to have your original fare class (O,S,Q, etc) available or not, seems like it does.

Thank you for the info.
This is in case there is some cash upgrade available at OLCI. There are couple of flights for November which so far are very empty
Old Sep 29, 2013, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by HNL

Also cash upgrade at OLCI is almost the cost of the copay, so I save the miles.
Maybe about one week prior if the flight is still empty I should asked to be removed from the waiting list, is that a good strategy ? There're never going to open some C inventories one week prior and will always wait few days before ?? (Please please tell me that I'm correct)
(Maybe I'll do that going to the US but not coming back as IMHO J is more important on the night flight than the day flight)
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Maybe about one week prior if the flight is still empty I should asked to be removed from the waiting list, is that a good strategy ? There're never going to open some C inventories one week prior and will always wait few days before ?? (Please please tell me that I'm correct)
No one can tell you that. Even if the trend is to release upgrades closer and closer to departure, C inventory certainly gets released before T-1day on some flights.

If you're not willing to part with the miles+copay, simply don't request the upgrade. Simple as that. If you're going to withdraw your request anyway, why would you request it in the first place?
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:27 pm

Hi, I'm a first time poster and hoping someone can give me some guidance about what would be the most advantageous thing for me to do. I am an AAdvantage credit card holder with no premium status. I have over 100k miles in their system, and according to their website I'm 21k points away from gold, 18.5k miles away from gold, and 23 segments away from gold. I will have to do a fair amount of traveling over the next 3-4 months; does it make sense for me to purchase the 18.5k miles for ~$500 in order to obtain this status or would the benefits not be worth the money? I am mainly looking for the opportunity to get upgrades and do most of my flying on American.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by shapiros
Hi, I'm a first time poster and hoping someone can give me some guidance about what would be the most advantageous thing for me to do. I am an AAdvantage credit card holder with no premium status. I have over 100k miles in their system, and according to their website I'm 21k points away from gold, 18.5k miles away from gold, and 23 segments away from gold. I will have to do a fair amount of traveling over the next 3-4 months; does it make sense for me to purchase the 18.5k miles for ~$500 in order to obtain this status or would the benefits not be worth the money? I am mainly looking for the opportunity to get upgrades and do most of my flying on American.
Do purchased miles count towards attaining status?

Last edited by guv1976; Sep 29, 2013 at 4:32 pm
Old Sep 29, 2013, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by shapiros
Purchased miles do not count for status, as I'm sure guv1976 knows

The miles that you're quoting are EQMs, are Elite Qualifying Miles, which are essentially BIS ("butt-in-seat" miles).

Consider a challenge.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-platinum.html

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Do purchased miles count towards attaining status?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.