Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by JDiver
Be aware: if you acquire a magazine subscription with miles, according to others in another thread, you will be asked for a credit card number - which will then be used to "perpetually" auto-renew the subscription at the current renewal price.
This does not apply to most magazine offers -- which require no credit card whatsoever to redeem.

The credit card is only required for special magazine offers that are listed as "Miles + Cash" and usually are offered for fewer miles and a nominal cash requirement -- usually $2. Not to mention those offers are clearly listed as "Selections offered for miles plus cash come with automatic renewal features."
Old Sep 24, 2013, 4:26 am

Programs: LH HON
AA changed our reservations from a safe 4.5hrs layover/connection @DFW to a tight 2hr schedule.

Is this even realistic? We're arriving from a TATL flight (FRA-DFW AA71) as non resident. Arrival time is scheduled for 2.25pm - depature to LAS is at 4.25pm.

Any chance of getting this flight on Monday?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ckx2
AA changed our reservations from a safe 4.5hrs layover/connection @DFW to a tight 2hr schedule.

Is this even realistic? We're arriving from a TATL flight (FRA-DFW AA71) as non resident. Arrival time is scheduled for 2.25pm - depature to LAS is at 4.25pm.

Any chance of getting this flight on Monday?
Yes, that's a feasible/legal connection @ DFW. However, for a schedule change of that length AA should change your flights w/charging a fee, so if you would prefer to be on the 6:30 pm DFW-LAS flight, simply call and ask.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:46 am

Hi all,

I know this is probably the wrong area but I've asked in the thread twice now and not had any answers so am trying here

I have a flight booked on the 77W from LHR-LAX rtn in Economy and have got aisle seats for both (28C both ways). I have since noticed that on my outbound, I can pay 56 for 33J and on my inbound I can pay the same to book 31K.

As 31k is an exit row I assume this is a must - but is 33J the seat with the extra leg room because the row in front only has 2 seats, and if so is it worth paying for this? Also, do 31AB open up if not chosen by elites on checkin or are they gone full stop?

I don't want to upgrade to MCE because that's too much and also I prefer leg room over wider seats!

Thanks for all your help!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
This may be a very newbie question:

If I book and pay a flight for both me and my girlfriend, do we both earn frequent flyer miles on our separate ff accounts or is it only the paying/reserving member that can earn miles ?

Thanks
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, MR Gold, HH Gold
I didn't even realize AA had codeshares with other than American Eagle, but it turns out one of my upcoming trips is on ExpressJet, or ASA, or whoever they are calling themselves now. It appears I get AA miles for this flight, but does it count as an EQS? I had planned to barely qualify for GLD by EQS this year (30 on the nose) and I'm a little stressed now thinking this won't count.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
This may be a very newbie question:

If I book and pay a flight for both me and my girlfriend, do we both earn frequent flyer miles on our separate ff accounts or is it only the paying/reserving member that can earn miles ?

Thanks
Only the flyer will get credit. No matter who pays/reserves the flight. If you are using a CC that also earns miles, then the cardholder will earn whatever is due by virtue of the purchase.

Now the flip side is, you (or gf) can buy tickets with miles for anyone they wish. So if you are looking at earning miles for a future trip, you can work together to get what you need.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage---LTGold, DL Skymiles
I want to make sure I understand Anytime awards. I want an award next year BNA to HAM, FC or BC. I would like a milesaver. But, if I have to resort to an Anytime award, it would only be for BNA to LHR? Then I would buy a ticket to HAM? Many thanks, Julia
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JBGL
I want to make sure I understand Anytime awards. I want an award next year BNA to HAM, FC or BC. I would like a milesaver. But, if I have to resort to an Anytime award, it would only be for BNA to LHR? Then I would buy a ticket to HAM? Many thanks, Julia
The only difference between AAnytime and MilesAAver is that the former is not capacity controlled. Any available seat in the cabin can be purchased with an AAnytime fare.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:39 pm

My boss and I were delayed at DFW on September 19th. Flight was originally supposed to leave around 8PM, but did not depart til after 1AM due to thunderstorms. We both checked bags. By the time we claimed our bags it was after 230AM and both had over an hour drive home.

Upon unpacking over the weekend, both of us had luggage that was totally soaked. Luckily, i only had a couple of inexpensive ties that were ruined. My boss had a bunch of paperwork in her luggage that got completely ruined. AA is refusing any compensation whatsoever, citing its policy that all claims must be made within 24 hours.

The amount of water in our luggage indicates that they were stored outside for a prolonged period during a pretty heavy rain. I am not talking about a little dampness, but being completely soaked in water.

Is there any way to get AA to reconsider? I am Gold status if that makes any difference.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:56 pm

my original award flight was canceled. I was rebooked by AA to the same AA flight two days later. will I earn miles if I credit the flight to BA or other partners?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Going to do an MR in about a week and a half. When selecting the seats I am forced to take a preferred or MCE seat on a couple of the segments due to availability. I will be Gold after the first segment, which should allow me to choose MCE or preferred for free. Will AA refund me the difference in what I initially pay?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Pinned
Going to do an MR in about a week and a half. When selecting the seats I am forced to take a preferred or MCE seat on a couple of the segments due to availability. I will be Gold after the first segment, which should allow me to choose MCE or preferred for free. Will AA refund me the difference in what I initially pay?
You are not forced to pay for a preferred or MCE seat. Just don't select a seat and wait to get one at the airport. You'll probably get one of those preferred or MCE seats anyway. I doubt AA will refund you for this.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Pinned
AA has a policy in place to refund the purchase price of MCE if you attain status prior to your flight.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by ucacm
My boss and I were delayed at DFW on September 19th. Flight was originally supposed to leave around 8PM, but did not depart til after 1AM due to thunderstorms. We both checked bags. By the time we claimed our bags it was after 230AM and both had over an hour drive home.

Upon unpacking over the weekend, both of us had luggage that was totally soaked. Luckily, i only had a couple of inexpensive ties that were ruined. My boss had a bunch of paperwork in her luggage that got completely ruined. AA is refusing any compensation whatsoever, citing its policy that all claims must be made within 24 hours.

The amount of water in our luggage indicates that they were stored outside for a prolonged period during a pretty heavy rain. I am not talking about a little dampness, but being completely soaked in water.

Is there any way to get AA to reconsider? I am Gold status if that makes any difference.
AA is quite the stickler for the 24-hr. rule when it comes to damaged luggage, so your only option is to keep pestering AA until they give you some compensation to make you go away.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.