Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by fqtv_kraven
My departure has been changed to 1:15h later, but the new arrival time is 2:30h later. Does this count for a involuntary refund? My TA states that the schedule change is too minor to get one.
Here's the exact rule from aa.com

When schedule changes are implemented by American Airlines that are unacceptable to the customer and result in a change of 61-120 minutes, the customer is eligible to receive a voucher for the ticket value. For schedule changes of more than 120 minutes, the customer is eligible to receive a refund to original form of payment.

You are now arriving 2 1/2 hours later, thus it would seem that you meet the 120 minute requirement needed for the refund.

The rules also state that if you book with a Travel Agent, then the TA has to pursue the refund for you. I never book w/travel agents, so I don't know if you cancel the ticket that impacts their commission, and thus they might not be interested in pursuing a full refund.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:05 pm

First of all, thanks to all of you. I have spent hours, days, WEEKS studying up here and have gleefully begun to reap the rewards. No doubt on a much smaller scale than many of you, but no less gleefully. And I still have much to learn.

I plan to redeem for Dusseldorf to Tenerife on Air Berlin. I can pay either 10,000 AA miles or 10,000 Avios with the same $37 taxes and fees. I am trying to figure out which redemption is the best use of the respective miles. Would any kind experts care to weigh in? What would you do?

Of course this is subjective. Some factors for me: This would leave me with either 150,000 AA miles or 42500 Avios. I want to use miles to fly between the US/Germany, Germany/Turkey, Germany/Thailand, Thailand or Turkey/US and possibly also within the US domestically in the coming year. First class is not important to me, maybe I'll try for business on one long haul flight, but I'd rather stretch the miles for as many flights as I can. I rarely fly round trips, rather many one ways. I also have 40000 US Air, 65000 United, 40000 SPG and 20000 UR points, if that makes a difference. I don't anticipate earning much more of anything until the spring.

Thank you for any and all responses.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Yevdokiya - Welcome to Flyertalk! Avios are easier to collect (I see AMEX Gold in your future) and often better used in small amounts. My vote is use the 10K Avios and save your AA miles.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Why did you buy another ticket. AA would have honored the original fare.
By the time I got to the counter, my flight had departed. The next flight was sold out. Was offered to be put on a flight the next AM, but I had to leave that day.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:28 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dedkends
By the time I got to the counter, my flight had departed. The next flight was sold out. Was offered to be put on a flight the next AM, but I had to leave that day.
Sounds like you arrived late.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by HNL
Sounds like you arrived late.
I arrived on time, with no luggage to check. However, I stood in line at ticketing for a very long time.

I would appreciate a substantive response to my original question, if anyone has one.

Last edited by dedkends; Sep 21, 2013 at 8:55 pm
Old Sep 21, 2013, 10:24 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
I arrived on time, with no luggage to check. However, I stood in line at ticketing for a very long time.

I would appreciate a substantive response to my original question, if anyone has one.
Without knowing why your ticket never got issued I don't think anyone here is going to be able to give you a response to your original question. What reason was given as to why the ticket wasn't issued?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:20 am

can AAdvantage miles be redeemed for cash, statement credit, gift cards? i got a targeted offer from Citi but never opened a CC for airmiles before (and have no interest in traveling/flying)
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
can AAdvantage miles be redeemed for cash, statement credit, gift cards? i got a targeted offer from Citi but never opened a CC for airmiles before (and have no interest in traveling/flying)
No, the vast majority of options are travel (air/hotel/rental car) related. There are a couple of non travel options (e.g., magazine subscriptions) and you the option of transferring them via points.com (which is usually a very bad deal), but those are usually very bad deals.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So I recently purchased a ticket on AA.com. AA sent me an email with a record locator. The email contained a Record Locator and a line which read "Status: Purchased - Aug 15, 2013."

When I arrived at the airport, however, the ticketing kiosk directed me to see an agent, who sent me to the ticketing desk. The agent at the ticketing desk informed me that while I had a record locator, AA never actually issued me a ticket (or cancelled it). He told me that they usually contact the passenger to let them know there was something wrong, and he wasn't sure why I wasn't contacted in this case.

I ended up purchasing flights on another carrier at a substantial increase in cost to get me to my destination.

Does this violate AA's COC's or other regs/consumer protection laws? I took a look at AA's COCs but did not see anything helpful at first glance.

Thanks!
It is true "purchased" doesn't equal ticketed. Once its ticketed you receive a receipt w/an AA ticket # (starting in 001). Usually when a ticket gets stuck in 'purchased' limbo its due to (a) a payment processing problem [e.g., declined credit card, wrong # on gift card] or (b) award ticket with another airline [e.g., that BA seat is no longer available].

I think you have a good case for compensation *if* you can provide proof of payment: was it an award ticket? If so, then were the miles taken from your account? If you paid for it, then there should be a charge on your credit card statement. Also, if you paid for it using a credit card, I would file a dispute with the credit card company.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by AscorbylPalmitate
Actually there are a few options other than flying. Check out http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/re...false&from=Nav for what AA offers. Also, airline miles may be transferred to other programs that may offer even more options. Granted the exchange rate is not great, but if you have no desire to use them for flying then maybe the other program would be more valuable to you.

Also keep in mind as long as you have activity posting to your account (i.e. CC miles) your account will remain open and if you get enough points, you can buy someone else a ticket.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 10:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
A PNR is merely a handle on an itinerary, and can be putative. The "gold standard" is a ticket number and the legend "Ticketed" when you look at the PNR online - AA tickets always begin with "001", and until that is issued the ticket is "pending", though there may be an itinerary with a Passenger Number Record.

When you have an actual ticket, the definition in the record when you see it is "Ticketed"; you will be able to print out a ticket receipt, which will have ticket number(s) (there will be a clickable legend "Print Itinerary & Receipt"). It is imperative to keep an eye on this process from the time you book - though AA may notify you, they may fail to do so for various reasons, such as incorrect e-mail address or telephone number, etc.

Your ticket may have been denied for a number of reasons - Rate Desk fails to validate, etc. etc.

Check this thread: Is "Ticket Pending" new term by AA after on-line purchase? (previously "Purchased")

As to whether AA may compensate you in some way, perhaps, but I am approaching the question from a strictly practical viewpoint and what you need to do to protect yourself in the future - nobody will care more than you.

So I recently purchased a ticket on AA.com. AA sent me an email with a record locator. The email contained a Record Locator and a line which read "Status: Purchased - Aug 15, 2013."

When I arrived at the airport, however, the ticketing kiosk directed me to see an agent, who sent me to the ticketing desk. The agent at the ticketing desk informed me that while I had a record locator, AA never actually issued me a ticket (or cancelled it). He told me that they usually contact the passenger to let them know there was something wrong, and he wasn't sure why I wasn't contacted in this case.

I ended up purchasing flights on another carrier at a substantial increase in cost to get me to my destination.

Does this violate AA's COC's or other regs/consumer protection laws? I took a look at AA's COCs but did not see anything helpful at first glance.

Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2013, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
A PNR is merely a handle on an itinerary, and can be putative. The "gold standard" is a ticket number and the legend "Ticketed" when you look at the PNR online - AA tickets always begin with "001", and until that is issued the ticket is "pending", though there may be an itinerary with a Passenger Number Record.

When you have an actual ticket, the definition in the record when you see it is "Ticketed"; you will be able to print out a ticket receipt, which will have ticket number(s) (there will be a clickable legend "Print Itinerary & Receipt"). It is imperative to keep an eye on this process from the time you book - though AA may notify you, they may fail to do so for various reasons, such as incorrect e-mail address or telephone number, etc.

Your ticket may have been denied for a number of reasons - Rate Desk fails to validate, etc. etc.

Check this thread: Is "Ticket Pending" new term by AA after on-line purchase? (previously "Purchased")

As to whether AA may compensate you in some way, perhaps, but I am approaching the question from a strictly practical viewpoint and what you need to do to protect yourself in the future - nobody will care more than you.

Thanks for your response! I'll check that thread for more information.
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:02 am

Programs: American Airlines ExecPlat, Asiana Diamond
Been trying to search the forums for the proper wording/any help for a bit and can't seem to find it...

Just was wondering why sometimes the upgrade lists aren't really in accurate order sometimes. For example, I was just on a flight where I was third on the upgrade list. There were only two first class seats, so I knew I wasn't going to get the upgrade, but what puzzled me is that on the list, #1 got one seat and #7 got the second seat. What happened to #2 getting the second upgrade?

Same thing happened on another flight a bit ago. I was #1 on the upgrade list, but people below me on the list got upgraded.

Both times I was sitting right next to the gate, name was never called or anything like that.

Looking at the info I can gather, it seems like the PALL list is just overall different on their side. So while the public sees the basic numbered list, someone lower on the list could have higher priority than the #1 on the back-end?
Old Sep 23, 2013, 2:21 am

Programs: AA EXP
Is there any possible way to get discounted membership to the Admirals Club aside from status? Perhaps a student discount or something of that sort?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.