Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:01 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by amolkold
How fast do the 4 stickers show up for Gold/Plat members who fly 10K miles?

I have a long flight on a Saturday that I'd like to upgrade, but I'll hit a 10K milestone earlier in the day (MR-like routing). Would it be possible to call AA or go into an AC and ask them to deposit the 4 stickers into my account after I've completed the flight that gets me above the 10K mark / before the flight I'd like to upgrade?

I know you keep stickers forever but I'll be EXP soon after and don't need them since I don't travel with companions often.
The stickers are posted as part of a batch process - i.e. several days later. Calls to AA to expedite the posting of the upgrades will not yield positive results.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by HNL
The stickers are posted as part of a batch process - i.e. several days later. Calls to AA to expedite the posting of the upgrades will not yield positive results.
Thanks for the quick response. Looks like I'll have to figure out another flight to use them on. Have a few flights that are barely over 2500 miles but only need 5 stickers because of 51-mile rule. Only problem is that there will likely be a lot of EXPs on them when I am just a Gold or Plat.

Last edited by amolkold; Sep 16, 2013 at 10:29 pm
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:20 am

Round teh world on inherited AAdvantage points ?

Hi everyone and please be gentle : first post.

My father was a frequent flyer until he passed away very suddenly last year, leaving about 840,000 AAdvantage miles.

I am in the UK, my sister is in NZ. I would like to use the miles to take my family (me, wife, 4 kids aged 11 through 17) to see my sister in NZ, but as the only time we can go is next July/August, which is the long UK summer holiday, I'm thinking why not go right round the world....

I know nothing about current long haul flying. Haven't even crossed the Atlantic in 30 years.

I'd like us to fly first class on at least one leg, as a once-in-a lifetime thing for the kids.

I don't mind paying cash on top if the Aadvantage points aren't enough. Budget is fairly elastic, but I like to get value for money.

Please can someone give me some pointers on:
- whether the whole thing is realistic;
- how to make most efficient use of the AAdavantage miles;
- decent round the world routes that start/end in the UK and take in Auckland, that would make a great family adventure over a 6 week maximum period (mid-July to end August 2014);
- whether anyone in AA or partner airlines would be able to help me find out which specific flights I can use miles on.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 17, 2013 at 4:28 am Reason: Removed reference to previous thread title
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:31 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by warberry

My father was a frequent flyer until he passed away very suddenly last year, leaving about 840,000 AAdvantage miles.

I am in the UK, my sister is in NZ. I would like to use the miles to take my family (me, wife, 4 kids aged 11 through 17) to see my sister in NZ, but as the only time we can go is next July/August, which is the long UK summer holiday, I'm thinking why not go right round the world....
Hello warberry and welcome to FlyerTalk. First please accept my sincerest condolences for your loss. I can empathise with your situation and I'm sure the members here will be able to help.

While we do not typically make this a practice, I've gone ahead and merged your post into the Newbie Lounge thread, which is a special sticky thread we keep for questions just like this. There are quite a few locations and resources for you to get help, and I'm sure you'll get on the right track soon.

Best of luck with the trip.

~Moderator
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Newbie confused about fees

I have an award reservation from AMS-HEL-BKK with AY. I would like to change the dates and carrier to MH on AMS-KUL-BKK. Do I need to pay the $150 change fee if I change the carrier? Thx, SF.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:54 am

Silly question about fare pricing. Trying to get my mother to fly on AA 10/4 from MIA to TPA with a return flight on 10/6. Last night prices for G class tickets were $180, this morning $260. Looks like flights to TPA on 10/4 are fairly full by checking the seat arrangements on the 6pm flight she'd like to take up here. Kayak/Bing are giving me an 80% probability of price drop in the next 7 days.

To the community: How probable would a drop be within the next few days? I'm thinking she's missed the boat on the cheap fare bucket available. Last time I flew her up on here on AA booking a flight 14 days prior over Labor Day and picked up a fare for $160. I'm thinking of having her wait until Friday but I'm not sure exactly how pricing works (I fly maybe once every other year, hah!)
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
I have an award reservation from AMS-HEL-BKK with AY. I would like to change the dates and carrier to MH on AMS-KUL-BKK. Do I need to pay the $150 change fee if I change the carrier? Thx, SF.
No.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by warberry

I know nothing about current long haul flying. Haven't even crossed the Atlantic in 30 years.

I'd like us to fly first class on at least one leg, as a once-in-a lifetime thing for the kids.

I don't mind paying cash on top if the Aadvantage points aren't enough. Budget is fairly elastic, but I like to get value for money.

Please can someone give me some pointers on:
- whether the whole thing is realistic;
- how to make most efficient use of the AAdavantage miles;
- decent round the world routes that start/end in the UK and take in Auckland, that would make a great family adventure over a 6 week maximum period (mid-July to end August 2014);
- whether anyone in AA or partner airlines would be able to help me find out which specific flights I can use miles on.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
I'm still a newbie myself, but here are a few thoughts.

An Explorer Award (FT thread about it is at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html) is likely the best way to maximize the amount of stops on the way to/from NZ. There are some nice examples of Explorer Awards on milevalue.com, too. The miles prices for business seats on the Explorer Awards are quite reasonable. You could do a route like LHR-SIN-SYD-AKL-PPT-LAX-LHR and stay within the 20-25K miles traveled band, which costs 150K Aadvantage miles for business class. For six travelers, that would cost 900K Aadvantage miles, which is a chunk above what you've got, but you could purchase miles to make up the difference.

The bad news is that finding six business-class saver award seats on the same flights is going to be a big challenge. You might consider splitting the family in two groups, but if it's important to keep the whole family together on each flight, you're almost certainly going to have to go in economy class. On the bright side, you could travel up to 35K miles for 140K Aadvantage miles, or right at the 840K total for your family.

One more thing - you may want to minimize the amount of flights on BA, since BA flights booked with AA miles pass along BA's hefty fuel surcharges.

Good luck!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 4:29 pm

Charges and Taxes after Award Ticket Change

Hi there!

I would like to book an award itinerary whereby travel commences in October and ends in August of the following year.

The route is: LAX-MIA (October) MIA-DUS (July) DUS-MIA-KIN (August).

I want to select MilesAAver, so that's 20K out and 30K back, based on the season.

Problem is: only BA has 30K awards open this far out from the return date and their Taxes and Fees are USD 450.00 compared to AB's USD 183.00/pp.

I don't want to wait too long to book the award since my first leg is next month and I'm afraid award availability (for four seats!) might disappear from my LAX-MIA leg.

Question is: if I book the award on BA and pay the Taxes and Fees will these be refunded to me if I'm able to change the award to AB should those seats open up in a couple of months?
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dutchjam
The route is: LAX-MIA (October) MIA-DUS (July) DUS-MIA-KIN (August).

I want to select MilesAAver, so that's 20K out and 30K back, based on the season.

Problem is: only BA has 30K awards open this far out from the return date and their Taxes and Fees are USD 450.00 compared to AB's USD 183.00/pp.

I don't want to wait too long to book the award since my first leg is next month and I'm afraid award availability (for four seats!) might disappear from my LAX-MIA leg.

Question is: if I book the award on BA and pay the Taxes and Fees will these be refunded to me if I'm able to change the award to AB should those seats open up in a couple of months?
All awards are technically one-way, so there's no need to wait for the return to open up before you book the whole thing. Book your outbound now as a one-way LAX-MIA-DUS.

Then, just keep an eye on your return for better options to open up.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by nuclfusion
Silly question about fare pricing. Trying to get my mother to fly on AA 10/4 from MIA to TPA with a return flight on 10/6. Last night prices for G class tickets were $180, this morning $260. Looks like flights to TPA on 10/4 are fairly full by checking the seat arrangements on the 6pm flight she'd like to take up here. Kayak/Bing are giving me an 80% probability of price drop in the next 7 days.

To the community: How probable would a drop be within the next few days? I'm thinking she's missed the boat on the cheap fare bucket available. Last time I flew her up on here on AA booking a flight 14 days prior over Labor Day and picked up a fare for $160. I'm thinking of having her wait until Friday but I'm not sure exactly how pricing works (I fly maybe once every other year, hah!)
hard to say. you are within 21 days so it could go either way.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Exp, HH Diamond
MCE availability on AAward ticket

One week from making Gold, when this happens will I have access to MCE ion my already booked award ticket?

Thanks!
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by mjr1975
One week from making Gold, when this happens will I have access to MCE ion my already booked award ticket?

Thanks!
Yes, once your account reflects Gold, then just go into that reservation and it should allow you to select MCE seats free of charge.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, HH Diamond
That's great news! Thank you for the quick response.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 12:27 am

Programs: BA CCR/GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LondonAndy
Frequent British Airways poster, first time AA poster (so please be gentle ).

I'm travelling AA in First next April, flying to HNL from BOS via LAX (all 757), and back to IAD from LAX on a 737. I've tried to have a look but can't find definitive answers to a few questions I have:
1) Is it true that there isn't seat-back IFE in F in either of these aircraft? It seems a bit strange that it's offered on the TATL flights even in economy but for these flights, which are about 30 minutes shorter, it seems to be overhead screens if I've interpreted it correctly.

2) Assuming the above is true, I've also seen something about streaming in-flight wifi entertainment. If I bring an iPad for my dad and me does that mean we can download fresh entertainment on-board? If so, is there a cost attached?

3) Assuming 2 is true (!) what power plugs do I need to bring to charge the iPads at-seat? Is the USB plug enough? Do I need to bring my UK plug and a US adaptor?

4) I've seen somewhere about pre-ordering food. Is that only for international flights?

5) I've booked the flights via ba.com, and it has allocated 6E/F on the 757 and 6A/B on the 737. I don't seem to be able to change these seats, but should I be able to and, if so, is there any point?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but hopefully someone can help me out with answers - thanks in advance.
Can anyone help with answers to any of these questions please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.