Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 10, 13, 1:57 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 0335th View Post
If the Qualifying Year is Jan-Dec.

How come none of my flights back in Jan and Feb are counted towards my elite status?
Do you have to have elite status when the calender year starts for Jan and Feb to be part of your qualifying year?

I only have what I have flown during the membership year starting Mar 1, 2013 counting toward my status currently.

Thanks,
Are you looking at the Miles toward Upgrades? Every 10,000 miles flown earns 4 stickers. that value is calculated as March 1 to February 28/29. If you had < 10,000 miles when that counter is re-set on March 1, you can call AAdvantage Customer Service and request partial credit, and they will usually give you 1 to 3 stickers depending how many miles there were.

The YTD Qualifying Miles, Points, and Segments should show all activity for the calendar year. If those values are off then you need to contact AAdvantage Customer Service.
Old Sep 10, 13, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Are you looking at the Miles toward Upgrades? Every 10,000 miles flown earns 4 stickers. that value is calculated as March 1 to February 28/29. If you had < 10,000 miles when that counter is re-set on March 1, you can call AAdvantage Customer Service and request partial credit, and they will usually give you 1 to 3 stickers depending how many miles there were.

The YTD Qualifying Miles, Points, and Segments should show all activity for the calendar year. If those values are off then you need to contact AAdvantage Customer Service.
This is what I'm asking about.

I'll gather the dates and flight number and call C.S.

Just wanted to make sure I was reading it all correctly before I called in.

Thanks
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:42 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr
Miles, Segments and... Points?

I'm not a business traveler or Road Warrior but am at least conversant with the concepts of FF programs. Coming from NW and then DL I'm familiar with earning elite status with miles and/or segments. But adding the third element of points seems a bit redundant to me.

Can someone explain the relationship between these three vehicles for gaining elite status in the AA program in layman's terms?
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
I'm not a business traveler or Road Warrior but am at least conversant with the concepts of FF programs. Coming from NW and then DL I'm familiar with earning elite status with miles and/or segments. But adding the third element of points seems a bit redundant to me.

Can someone explain the relationship between these three vehicles for gaining elite status in the AA program in layman's terms?
Segments, miles, and points are independent ways of earning elite status. Just think of each one as a separate counter. Segments are self explanatory. Miles are basically flown miles on AA. Points can be thought of as miles with bonuses added for expensive fare classes.
Old Sep 10, 13, 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
Segments, miles, and points are independent ways of earning elite status. Just think of each one as a separate counter. Segments are self explanatory. Miles are basically flown miles on AA. Points can be thought of as miles with bonuses added for expensive fare classes.
Thanks! So would one not necessarily get a mileage bonus for flying full-fare economy or FC on AA, but maybe then get bonus points for doing so instead?
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks! So would one not necessarily get a mileage bonus for flying full-fare economy or FC on AA, but maybe then get bonus points for doing so instead?
Exactly!
Old Sep 10, 13, 11:14 pm

Yup. And keep in mind the cheapest fares get you half points, too.
Old Sep 11, 13, 12:03 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA does give bonus redeemable mile for premium cabin purchases.

The purpose of the Elite Qualifying Points system is to reward people who purchase expensive fares. In theory one can earn EXP status by flying 66,666 miles by purchasing full fare economy or any business and first class ticket.
Old Sep 11, 13, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
AA does give bonus redeemable mile for premium cabin purchases.

The purpose of the Elite Qualifying Points system is to reward people who purchase expensive fares. In theory one can earn EXP status by flying 66,666 miles by purchasing full fare economy or any business and first class ticket.
Ah, OK. DL is about to go that route with the addition of Medallion Qualifying Dollars to their program.
Old Sep 12, 13, 10:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, The Suggestion Box and Talkboard Topics

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's actualy pretty straightforward.

Check the chart on this page, and it'll be pretty clear, I think.

It merely allows one to qualify faster if one purchases premium fares - one can qualify for EXP flying 100,000 EQ Miles, but if you fly premium fares you can earn 100,000 EQ points - even though you may fly as few as 66,667 miles to earn them.

But if one flies very cheap / highly discounted fares, they can still qualify with 100,000 EQ miles (but would only earn 50,000 EQ points) - or segments, of course.

Old Sep 12, 13, 5:46 pm

New and trying to learn!

Hello everyone, any advice you can provide would be much appreciated. After seeing the frugaltravelguy on 20/20, I wanted to start putting my hard earned points to use and start earning a lot more. Applied and got accepted for a few rewards credit cards. Starting to learn & research how to earn the best ways and how to use the rewards points. I am wondering if I have to use all of the points before they expire? Will BA ever extend Avios? and I doubt it, so I guess I have to start planning now if mine expire in July 2014?

Also, am I able to combine my American Airlines points to my Avios?
Thanks again for any help.
Old Sep 12, 13, 6:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by briannajordan View Post
Hello everyone, any advice you can provide would be much appreciated. After seeing the frugaltravelguy on 20/20, I wanted to start putting my hard earned points to use and start earning a lot more. Applied and got accepted for a few rewards credit cards. Starting to learn & research how to earn the best ways and how to use the rewards points. I am wondering if I have to use all of the points before they expire? Will BA ever extend Avios? and I doubt it, so I guess I have to start planning now if mine expire in July 2014?

Also, am I able to combine my American Airlines points to my Avios?
Thanks again for any help.
Welcome to Flyertalk! I see a great deal of reading in your future.

1. You don't need to, because
2. if you earn or spend one Avio (is that right? Avio? one Avios?) the expiration date for all of your Avios is extended by 36 months. See http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...60k-avios.html
3. No, but you can use them together by booking one-way tickets on each, or booking one (or more) seat with each program on the same flight.

If you decide to play this game, you will learn that you want to collect miles in both programs, for very different uses.
Old Sep 12, 13, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA
I stupidly requested a callback at the wrong number (wait times are 2+ hours), and I don't want the callback to go to that number; I won't be there and those at that location will be sleeping. Is there any way to cancel a callback? Couldn't find a voice prompt for it but maybe someone has a trick.
Old Sep 12, 13, 7:25 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by backprop View Post
I stupidly requested a callback at the wrong number (wait times are 2+ hours), and I don't want the callback to go to that number; I won't be there and those at that location will be sleeping. Is there any way to cancel a callback? Couldn't find a voice prompt for it but maybe someone has a trick.
Not that I know of.
Old Sep 13, 13, 8:06 am

Programs: UA, AA EXP
i read somehwere awhile ago that one can request SWU in-advance.

is that still possible? I have bought non-refundable tix that will qualify me for explat this year. Wondering if i can request SWU in-advance for one of the flights.

Search this Thread