Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 8, 13, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by LongviewTX View Post
Same-day flight changes on award tickets:
- aa.com quote "If award seats are not available on the desired flight, you may obtain a confirmed seat on the same day by paying the $75 charge.". Now the question is that it's not clear whether this charge is waived for the AAdvantage Elites?
- presumable the rules mentiones on the aa.com site apply only to the AAdvantage aware tickets. So the question is what's the situation with the award tickets booked with Avios (on AA flights with not BA codeshare code)? Are sameday changes possible? If no award space available? Fees?

I would appreciate any advice regarding the above questions (all or some).
There are 3 ways to change times on an award ticket.
1. If award inventory is available, you can confirm the change at any time. No fee. Available regardless of status. I don't know if this applies to Avios tickets.
2. Same day confirmed. $75 fee, based on availability (not last-seat availability). Available on paid, AA award, or Avios. Available regardless of status.
3. Standby. Free. Offers last-seat, but last-minute availability. Available on paid, AA award, or Avios, but only available if the traveler has elite status on AA or OneWorld.
Old Sep 8, 13, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by swag View Post
There are 3 ways to change times on an award ticket.
2. Same day confirmed. $75 fee, based on availability (not last-seat availability). Available on paid, AA award, or Avios. Available regardless of status.
3. Standby. Free. Offers last-seat, but last-minute availability. Available on paid, AA award, or Avios, but only available if the traveler has elite status on AA or OneWorld.
Thanks for the detailed reponse.

Do I imply correctly from #2 that the $75 fee is not waived for elites (if an elite chooses to go #2 instead of #3)?

What are the conditions to get the standby (assuming you have the elite status)? I assume you have to physically be in the airport and can only do that X hours before the flight? Any other conditions - like the flight should be full (i.e. the airline cannot "confirm" you)?

And one more related question when I started to think about your answers more deeply - can "Same day confirmed" only be requested on that same date? Or if you let's say have a 9/20 3:30pm flight, can you request "same day confirmed" change to a 9/20 1:30pm flight a couple of days earlier on 9/18 (9/18 is the physical day the request is made)?
Old Sep 8, 13, 9:40 pm

Do I imply correctly from #2 that the $75 fee is not waived for elites (if an elite chooses to go #2 instead of #3)?
Indeed.

What are the conditions to get the standby (assuming you have the elite status)? I assume you have to physically be in the airport and can only do that X hours before the flight? Any other conditions - like the flight should be full (i.e. the airline cannot "confirm" you)?
Simply ask an airport agent to add you to the standby list for the flight you want to standby on. If you are standing by for a flight later than your original, call AA Reservations in advance to let them know you are doing this, otherwise you will be marked as a no show for your flight and the rest of your itinerary cancelled.

I'm not sure what you mean by conditions. You can standby for flights to your destination, and you are allowed to standby for different routings. You cannot standby to Hawaii if your original flight is DFW-LAX. Even if the proper inventory (E) for same day confirmed is available, you can choose to standby instead to save yourself the $75.

one more related question when I started to think about your answers more deeply - can "Same day confirmed" only be requested on that same date? Or if you let's say have a 9/20 3:30pm flight, can you request "same day confirmed" change to a 9/20 1:30pm flight a couple of days earlier on 9/18 (9/18 is the physical day the request is made)?
Must be on the same calendar date. See below.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/utility/sameDayTravel.jsp
Old Sep 9, 13, 12:47 am

3 Questions

1) Award flights going to NYC, are they interchangeable between the 3 airports? (JFK/LGA/EWR)

2) If a reduced millage award is booked to EWR, will they allow a change later to JFK/LGA?

3) Does LAX allow free curbside check in for those getting the free bag due to their CITI AA credit card? (in years past other airports made me go into the counter for that...)
Old Sep 9, 13, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the conditions to get the standby (assuming you have the elite status)? I assume you have to physically be in the airport and can only do that X hours before the flight?
You have to be at the airport to request standby. But this requirement is no big deal, since the standby list is ordered not by standby request time, but by check in time. If you plan to stand by, check in online as early as allowed (24 hours before initial original departure), then there's no need to get to the airport much earlier than you would normally. You can request the standby via kiosk, ticket counter or gate agent.

As Apieinthesky notes, call ahead to pre-request it if you will stand by to travel later.

Any other conditions - like the flight should be full (i.e. the airline cannot "confirm" you)?
US Airways doesn't allow standby if confirmable space is available (they want the fee), but there's no such rule on AA. You can opt for standby instead of SDC, your choice. In fact, since SDC requires a certain numer of available seats, a rule of thumb here is that if SDC is offered, your standby is very likely to clear, even as a GLD. As an elite, I've never paid for SDC, I always opt for standby. The times I might pay for SDC:
- Going on a later flight, worried if standby doesn't clear I'm SOL.
- I need to be certain I get out early.
- If there's a high risk of irrops (bad weather on the way).
- I really want a better seat. Since SDC is instant, you can choose a coach seat right away; with standby, you get what they give you right at departure time.
- If I want to upgrade on the new flight. Standbys are processed after upgrades, so the front cabin may be full at that point. If you SDC, you can request the upgrade immediately. This one is more of a factor for higher level elites; as a GLD, our request will be at the very bottom of the list anyway, so SDC vs standby is unlikely to matter.
Old Sep 9, 13, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mendel View Post
1) Award flights going to NYC, are they interchangeable between the 3 airports? (JFK/LGA/EWR)
Yes and no.

Once you're ticketed, you can't confirm an airport change (even within NYC) without paying the redeposit fees.

But if you are standby eligible (elite, etc), you are allowed to standby into (or out of) an alternate co-terminal (JFK/LGA/EWR), even on an award.
Old Sep 9, 13, 7:05 am

Programs: aadvantage, skymiles, spg, plus
Advice about switching from LANPass to AAdvantage

Hi there! For the last 12 months I've been flying about 100K miles on AA. Actually during 2013 I've flown 70K miles. I started accumulating in LANPass as initially it appeared that I would be travelling more frequently on that airline but it just happened that I started to fly the most on AA.

So now I am LANPASS Silver Premium (Oneworld Sapphire) and approaching Comodoro (Emerald), which I would probably meet during the rest of the year.

My question is if I should stay on LANPass or switch to AAdvantage. Basically I would like to know if am missing anything by not accumulating in AAdvantage (while flying mostly on AA) and what happens during the transition. Is there a way to get the matching status on AA? Basically I would like to keep lounge access in between. Would I get faster to elite on AA than on LAN provided I fly mostly on AA or is this the same? Also I would like to know your experience with these programs in the long run (e.g. Million Miler, etc).

Tks in advance,
Willie.
Old Sep 9, 13, 2:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SkyMiles Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by HNL;
Row 20 on the 762 is horrible. Avoid at all cost. while there is extra knee room, there is poor leg room.
Originally Posted by JDiver;
This is where we will find the "YMMV" - I like the fact I have a bit more space and my knees are less likely to get mashed by the person in front of me (particularly if they are "commandos" and try to catch me by surprise after looking back and seeing my knees at the seatback - had one of those in Y on a TN redeye). 6'4" / 193 cm, a lot of that in femur.

Basically, IMO, coach on some of the older aircraft like the 762, is ughly - then again, the new 77W with ten abreast is going to be a true "King Oscar" experience.
JDiver and HNL thank you for your replies and your welcome to FT. Regarding the AA 762 experience. You are both right. Row 20 is a bit of a trap, yes extra legroom because it is an exit row but there is no foot room because of equipment. I have now flown on the 762's 3 round trips in the past three weeks. Sat in Row 20 once and Row 24 once. In the future I still think I would prefer Row 20 with the extra legroom (24 not horrible with "main cabin extra"). As to my other 4 segments I have been fortunate enough to get the upgrade to J! This has been a pleasant surprise to me as I am only Platinum with AA. I will take the upgrade to J any day!

If I keep this travel schedule up I might even make EXP this year.
Old Sep 9, 13, 6:04 pm

2 questions

1. Does LAX allow free curbside check in for those getting the free bag due to their CITI AA credit card? (in years past other airports made me go into the counter for that...)

2. If I have an early morning flight (and staying at an airport hotel) will they allow me to check in the night before?
Old Sep 9, 13, 10:05 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
What security checkpoint does AA use at DTW: Blue, Red 1, Red 2, Red 3, Red 5, Red 6, White, or Yellow?
Old Sep 9, 13, 10:06 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mendel View Post
1. Does LAX allow free curbside check in for those getting the free bag due to their CITI AA credit card? (in years past other airports made me go into the counter for that...)

2. If I have an early morning flight (and staying at an airport hotel) will they allow me to check in the night before?
Since you are split already moving to 288 BOS-ORD should post as two segments.

The interesting thing about BOS-LAX/SFO and BOS-ORD-LAX/SFO is the miles are almost identical on the non-stops as the ORD connections. I wonder if that is the same with the BOS-ORD-PVG as BOS-PVG flghts.
Old Sep 9, 13, 10:07 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA Dirt BA Gold SPG GLD HH GLD
Originally Posted by willieram View Post
Hi there! For the last 12 months I've been flying about 100K miles on AA. Actually during 2013 I've flown 70K miles. I started accumulating in LANPass as initially it appeared that I would be travelling more frequently on that airline but it just happened that I started to fly the most on AA.

So now I am LANPASS Silver Premium (Oneworld Sapphire) and approaching Comodoro (Emerald), which I would probably meet during the rest of the year.

My question is if I should stay on LANPass or switch to AAdvantage. Basically I would like to know if am missing anything by not accumulating in AAdvantage (while flying mostly on AA) and what happens during the transition. Is there a way to get the matching status on AA? Basically I would like to keep lounge access in between. Would I get faster to elite on AA than on LAN provided I fly mostly on AA or is this the same? Also I would like to know your experience with these programs in the long run (e.g. Million Miler, etc).

Tks in advance,
Willie.
If I were in your shoes I'd finish up this year with LAN at least to OW Emerald for domestic lounge access and then start next year with AA. The main thing you are missing out on is domestic upgrades, which might not even matter to you depending on what routes you fly.
Old Sep 9, 13, 10:09 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Since you are split already moving to 288 BOS-ORD should post as two segments.

The interesting thing about BOS-LAX/SFO and BOS-ORD-LAX/SFO is the miles are almost identical on the non-stops as the ORD connections. I wonder if that is the same with the BOS-ORD-PVG as BOS-PVG flghts.

Looks like the BOS-ORD-PVG flight is about 600+/- longer than the BOS-PVG flight number.
Old Sep 9, 13, 10:10 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull View Post
If I were in your shoes I'd finish up this year with LAN at least to OW Emerald for domestic lounge access and then start next year with AA. The main thing you are missing out on is domestic upgrades, which might not even matter to you depending on what routes you fly.
And the 8 System Wide Upgrades!
Old Sep 10, 13, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 0335th View Post
Am I reading it correctly that I have to make Platinum before 12/31/13?
Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
Correct. The qualifying year is the calendar year.
If the Qualifying Year is Jan-Dec.

How come none of my flights back in Jan and Feb are counted towards my elite status?
Do you have to have elite status when the calender year starts for Jan and Feb to be part of your qualifying year?

I only have what I have flown during the membership year starting Mar 1, 2013 counting toward my status currently.

Thanks,

Search this Thread