Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2013, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by peachfront
I did a search already and got a thread from 2007 so please don't yell, just direct me to the right place if my question is stupid. What's the difference between First and Business between North America and EZE. It looks like my choices from MSY go through DFW or MIA. I want a lie flat bed if possible. The price difference when I was searching today was $600 so trivial if I'm guaranteed a flat bed. But if business is also lie flat these days then I might as well save the money. Feel free to PM me a link etc. if the question is too stupid to address in the thread. Thanks.
As SFOPhD said, 772 First has fully horizontal and flat beds. They are much more comfortable and spacious than the 772 J seats. Also, no question is too stupid for this thread
Old Sep 2, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: SPG, AA, HH, IHG
Hey,

I planned to make ExP next year and booked already some flights ahead. From Europe its really difficult to find some great mileage deal but well. My first flight would be FRA-GIG. I found this deal from matrix and it brings me about 20k per run. However yesterday I just found out that my flight schedule has changed in the odd way. Before FRA-LHR-BOS-DFW-GIG / GIG-DFW-FRA and now FRA-LHR-BOS-JFK-LAX-DFW / DFW-FRA. It will be my first time with AA.

What do you think what should I do? The flight cost has also reduced about 50%.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by LiamAP
Hey,

I planned to make ExP next year and booked already some flights ahead. From Europe its really difficult to find some great mileage deal but well. My first flight would be FRA-GIG. I found this deal from matrix and it brings me about 20k per run. However yesterday I just found out that my flight schedule has changed in the odd way. Before FRA-LHR-BOS-DFW-GIG / GIG-DFW-FRA and now FRA-LHR-BOS-JFK-LAX-DFW / DFW-FRA. It will be my first time with AA.

What do you think what should I do? The flight cost has also reduced about 50%.
Just to clarify: basically DFW-GIG disappeared from the reservation? Sometimes very complicated reservations - such as you have outlined - break fare rules that get caught in the ticketing process. Ultimately, the best thing to do: call AA and ask what happened.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
What kind of lounge, if any, would I have access to if arriving in LAX on BA F, connecting to AA Y (domestic) on a separate ticket on the same day?

Also, is there chance that I would be able to be seated in Main Cabin Extra on the AA flight if the BA flight pushes me above the GLD threshold? Obviously the miles won't post fast enough for my status to be updated in the system in time for the next flight a few hours later.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by Peppep
What kind of lounge, if any, would I have access to if arriving in LAX on BA F, connecting to AA Y (domestic) on a separate ticket on the same day?

Also, is there chance that I would be able to be seated in Main Cabin Extra on the AA flight if the BA flight pushes me above the GLD threshold? Obviously the miles won't post fast enough for my status to be updated in the system in time for the next flight a few hours later.
You will have access to the AA Flagship Lounge after you clear security into T4.

Your GLD status will not be reflected in the system as you state, but ask an agent at the FL desk if he/she can seat you in MCE. You may try to explain your situation, but airport agents can and do seat even non-status passengers in those MCE seats.
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, CC Concierge, A3*G
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
You will have access to the AA Flagship Lounge after you clear security into T4.

Your GLD status will not be reflected in the system as you state, but ask an agent at the FL desk if he/she can seat you in MCE. You may try to explain your situation, but airport agents can and do seat even non-status passengers in those MCE seats.
Great, thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2013, 2:31 am

I saw someone posting about it earlier but I am a little confused. How does one get an upgrade using miles + copay?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by salesflyerguy
I saw someone posting about it earlier but I am a little confused. How does one get an upgrade using miles + copay?
Take a look at "the who, what, when, and how of upgrading" page on aa.com, specifically the section titled "Upgrade awards"
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:46 am

If I book a flight using my Chase UR points via the Chase UR portal, will I still get AAdvantage miles for my flight?
Old Sep 3, 2013, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ucacm
If I book a flight using my Chase UR points via the Chase UR portal, will I still get AAdvantage miles for my flight?
Yes, as long as it is a fare that earns miles anyway.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
I booked a roundtrip flight a few months ago that has since had schedule changes. The changes weren't too substantial, maybe just 20-30 minutes earlier or later. What I'd really like to do is change my flights to ones that are served by a 763 rather than the 738 I'm currently booked on (because the widebody schedule wasn't set at the time of booking). Am I able to use this schedule change as justification to make even more drastic changes to my itinerary without having to pay for the change fee + fare difference?
Old Sep 5, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by havoc29
I booked a roundtrip flight a few months ago that has since had schedule changes. The changes weren't too substantial, maybe just 20-30 minutes earlier or later. What I'd really like to do is change my flights to ones that are served by a 763 rather than the 738 I'm currently booked on (because the widebody schedule wasn't set at the time of booking). Am I able to use this schedule change as justification to make even more drastic changes to my itinerary without having to pay for the change fee + fare difference?
Traditionally the answer has been "yes" They change the schedule, you can change w/o a fee. Determine the flights you want before you call and simply state "because of a flight schedule change, I need you to put me on flight X" If the agent isn't cooperative, thank him/her and call back. There could be some pushback from the agent b/c its a relatively minor change but ultimately you should be able to get on the 763.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 11:56 am

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I want to book 1 way award Orlando - JFK (stop over for couple of months) - HKG (on CX). I will have to change the JFK-HKG legs after I issue the award but before I fly MCO-JFK leg (because I'll have to wait till 331 days to book the one I want).

Can I do that change without a fee? I'm AA Plat.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Take a look at "the who, what, when, and how of upgrading" page on aa.com, specifically the section titled "Upgrade awards"
So 15,000 miles on a discounted fare plus $75 service charge for an upgrade one way? Isn't that like $475 if you calculate the mileage value? So basically, not worth it? Lol.
Old Sep 6, 2013, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by adamak
I want to book 1 way award Orlando - JFK (stop over for couple of months) - HKG (on CX). I will have to change the JFK-HKG legs after I issue the award but before I fly MCO-JFK leg (because I'll have to wait till 331 days to book the one I want).

Can I do that change without a fee? I'm AA Plat.
What type of changes were you thinking about?
A date only change will not incur a fee as long the new flight date is more than 21 days than the day you made the change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.