Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 30, 13, 12:00 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by aarif1 View Post
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but I'm not sure exactly how to search for an answer. Last night I was looking for award flights (JFK-CDG) for next June, and there appeared to be good availability around the dates I was interested in. But when I checked again this morning (ready to book), there was only 2 dates in June, both too early for me. Also, the qantas.com still shows availability on most days in June. So... will I get a different answer if I call AA? Is qantas.com just not up to date for some reason? Should I just wait and keep checking?
You should get the same info from AA agents as you do on www.aa.com.

The lesson here is if you see award inventory for dates you think you will want, put the booking on hold (it's a 5-day hold) and then finalize your plans. A bird in the hand and all that.
Old Aug 30, 13, 2:40 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
New to this board and struggling a bit with aa.com.

I'm playing around with the multi-city option. In this case MIA-MCO-DFW-AUS and vv. in A/P (trying to squeeze some extra BAEC tier points out of this trip).

After selecting my flights from the longish list I get a total price. So far so good.

Now I change some departure times and the price jumps up - or down. Now that isn't a surprise. But I always have to select all the legs before I can see the total price.

Is there some way to see the price of individual legs and pick the cheapest option without having to try out a bunch of combinations?
Old Aug 30, 13, 2:58 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer View Post
New to this board and struggling a bit with aa.com.

I'm playing around with the multi-city option. In this case MIA-MCO-DFW-AUS and vv. in A/P (trying to squeeze some extra BAEC tier points out of this trip).

After selecting my flights from the longish list I get a total price. So far so good.

Now I change some departure times and the price jumps up - or down. Now that isn't a surprise. But I always have to select all the legs before I can see the total price.

Is there some way to see the price of individual legs and pick the cheapest option without having to try out a bunch of combinations?
AA.com does allow a search by price and schedule, but it would be a rare day to have the results return a 4 city tour of the Southeast US. Price and schedule is going to apply the most direct routing logic (no always but the vast majority of the time). In your case the likely routing would be MIA-DFW-AUS.

If you want multiple segments, then you have to use the multi-city function.
Old Aug 30, 13, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH SEN, EK ex-Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
In your case the likely routing would be MIA-DFW-AUS.
The 1-stop always prices out the same, earlier/later flights don't seem to affect the price on the dates I checked.

After some more playing around with the 2-stop option, it looks like I can pick a variety of departure times out of MIA. But if I do not pick the really early departures out of AUS the price jumps up.
Old Aug 31, 13, 3:37 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
What aircraft is better for a long Domestic F sector (5hrs)? 737 or 757.

Thanks
Old Aug 31, 13, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by surryson View Post
What aircraft is better for a long Domestic F sector (5hrs)? 737 or 757.

Thanks
They're about the same, if you get the new seats in the 757. But since there are plenty of the old config of the 757 (where it's 22F - 24F indicates refurbed 757), I would go with the 737. Also, smaller F cabin in the 738s, so perhaps you'll get slightly better service.
Old Sep 1, 13, 10:21 am
formerly killuminati

Never booked an award with AA before so please bear with these basic questions.

Does AA charge the exact same YQ on a BA flight that the BA program would charge? I was quoted $517 for a one way trip all on BA with the BA program. Would AA charge the exact same or might the YQ be less?

Also how many segments are allowed on a routing from NA to Europe? I see no options for going YVR-BCN but I do see LAX-JFK-BCN. If there were availability YVR-LAX could I tack that on?

Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 13, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by killuminati
Never booked an award with AA before so please bear with these basic questions.

Does AA charge the exact same YQ on a BA flight that the BA program would charge? I was quoted $517 for a one way trip all on BA with the BA program. Would AA charge the exact same or might the YQ be less?

Also how many segments are allowed on a routing from NA to Europe? I see no options for going YVR-BCN but I do see LAX-JFK-BCN. If there were availability YVR-LAX could I tack that on?

Thanks.
You should be able to do a dummy award booking on aa.com to see exactly what AA would charge for an award itinerary using BA metal.

You should be able to add a YVR-LAX segment on AS to an LAX-JFK-BCN award itinerary on AA. However, there are other alternatives: CX offers a YVR-JFK nonstop red-eye; and IB offers a seasonal LAX-MAD nonstop a few days a week. (Not sure if you'd be able to add the YVR-LAX segment to an LAX-MAD-BCN routing on IB, however.)

Note that aa.com is incapable of displaying award availability on CX or IB, so you'd have to call AA reservations (or use some other website) to check award availability on those carriers.

And if desired (or necessary to obtain award flights) you are entitled to a free stopover at the North American gateway on such an award.
Old Sep 1, 13, 10:56 am
formerly killuminati

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You should be able to do a dummy award booking on aa.com to see exactly what AA would charge for an award itinerary using BA metal.

You should be able to add a YVR-LAX segment on AS to an LAX-JFK-BCN award itinerary on AA. However, there are other alternatives: CX offers a YVR-JFK nonstop red-eye; and IB offers a seasonal LAX-MAD nonstop a few days a week. (Not sure if you'd be able to add the YVR-LAX segment to an LAX-MAD-BCN routing on IB, however.)

Note that aa.com is incapable of displaying award availability on CX or IB, so you'd have to call AA reservations (or use some other website) to check award availability on those carriers.

And if desired (or necessary to obtain award flights) you are entitled to a free stopover at the North American gateway on such an award.
Thanks for the quick answers. I didn't realize that CX and IB availability is not shown. I just figured the YVR-JFK was unavailable any of the days I was looking at.

Really helpful info, thanks.
Old Sep 1, 13, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA,CO,SPG
Did a quick search didn't see it posted, but how soon does the annual 10% back for having an AA credit card on mileage redemptions post?
Old Sep 1, 13, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Originally Posted by popot53 View Post
Did a quick search didn't see it posted, but how soon does the annual 10% back for having an AA credit card on mileage redemptions post?
IME within a month of award travel booking, regardless of travel date.
Old Sep 1, 13, 8:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue
To avoid making a new thread...

Does anyone know why/when American Eagle upgraded BUF from ERJ service to CR7's?
Old Sep 1, 13, 8:40 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
I did a search already and got a thread from 2007 so please don't yell, just direct me to the right place if my question is stupid. What's the difference between First and Business between North America and EZE. It looks like my choices from MSY go through DFW or MIA. I want a lie flat bed if possible. The price difference when I was searching today was $600 so trivial if I'm guaranteed a flat bed. But if business is also lie flat these days then I might as well save the money. Feel free to PM me a link etc. if the question is too stupid to address in the thread. Thanks.
Old Sep 1, 13, 9:44 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by peachfront View Post
I did a search already and got a thread from 2007 so please don't yell, just direct me to the right place if my question is stupid. What's the difference between First and Business between North America and EZE. It looks like my choices from MSY go through DFW or MIA. I want a lie flat bed if possible. The price difference when I was searching today was $600 so trivial if I'm guaranteed a flat bed. But if business is also lie flat these days then I might as well save the money. Feel free to PM me a link etc. if the question is too stupid to address in the thread. Thanks.
The answer depends on your definition of "flat." DFW-EZE and MIA-EZE are both served by 777s (the old 777-200 ones, not the new 77W/777-300). Business is angled-lie flat. Almost horizontal, but at a slight ~10 degree angle. First is flat flat.

Here's a link to descriptions. There are other positive aspects to First, so it might be worth $600, but that's up to you:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPlanes/boeing777.jsp

Last edited by SFOPhD; Sep 1, 13 at 9:47 pm Reason: link
Old Sep 1, 13, 10:37 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Brilliant! That's exactly what I needed to know. Don't know why I couldn't find it myself, you're a lifesaver. Yeah, flat flat is worth it for me while I'm in the chips...Thanks!

Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
The answer depends on your definition of "flat." DFW-EZE and MIA-EZE are both served by 777s (the old 777-200 ones, not the new 77W/777-300). Business is angled-lie flat. Almost horizontal, but at a slight ~10 degree angle. First is flat flat.

Here's a link to descriptions. There are other positive aspects to First, so it might be worth $600, but that's up to you:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPlanes/boeing777.jsp

Search this Thread