Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 25, 13, 4:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 5DMarkIIguy View Post
Who would clear first?
Someone with EXP status 5 days out
Someone with Plat status with same fare code 3 months out, and request stickers upgrade 3 months out?

Or in this case
Someone with Plat status with higher fare code 3 months out vs. someone with EXP status?
In both cases the EXP will clear the upgrade first. The exception is if the higher fare code is in Y or B (the most expensive economy codes). A Plat with a Y or B fare gets a complimentary upgrade (no need to request with stickers) and outranks everyone else except for an EXP with a Y or B fare.
Old Aug 25, 13, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
In both cases the EXP will clear the upgrade first. The exception is if the higher fare code is in Y or B (the most expensive economy codes). A Plat with a Y or B fare gets a complimentary upgrade (no need to request with stickers) and outranks everyone else except for an EXP with a Y or B fare.
That's not correct. Y/B fare only trumps those in your own status group. For domestic sticker upgrades, EXP trumps PLT period.
Old Aug 25, 13, 3:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
That's not correct. Y/B fare only trumps those in your own status group. For domestic sticker upgrades, EXP trumps PLT period.
That is correct. My mistake. Man, it's much harder for PLTs to get upgraded than I thought...
Old Aug 25, 13, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
That is correct. My mistake. Man, it's much harder for PLTs to get upgraded than I thought...
True, but the number of people that buy Y/B fares is pretty small. For the sake of upgrading, a P fare will be much more effective and generally less expensive than a Y/B fare. And you don't even need to have any status, and you can confirm it right away!
Old Aug 25, 13, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
I'm a new AA Gold and fly SJC-DFW-BOS tomorrow. DFW-BOS is 1524, dep 6:05 pm, and I'm hoping to same day standby onto 1352 instead, at 3:45 pm. 1352 shows F5 Y0.

Assuming they don't fill the F5 by T-0, will they SDS me onto that flight anyway, or send it with empty seats up front? I know I don't qualify for an upgrade, even on my ticketed flight, which is F6 Y3 currently. I'm just interested in a seat, any seat, for an earlier arrival to BOS.

I just have no experience with how AA approves SDS requests, nor with how dynamic these fare bucket numbers become as departure time approaches.

Or is there something even more basic I'm missing here? (Like maybe a whole thread on same day standby?)
Old Aug 25, 13, 5:55 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rdrnnr View Post
I'm a new AA Gold and fly SJC-DFW-BOS tomorrow. DFW-BOS is 1524, dep 6:05 pm, and I'm hoping to same day standby onto 1352 instead, at 3:45 pm. 1352 shows F5 Y0.

Assuming they don't fill the F5 by T-0, will they SDS me onto that flight anyway, or send it with empty seats up front? I know I don't qualify for an upgrade, even on my ticketed flight, which is F6 Y3 currently. I'm just interested in a seat, any seat, for an earlier arrival to BOS.

I just have no experience with how AA approves SDS requests, nor with how dynamic these fare bucket numbers become as departure time approaches.

Or is there something even more basic I'm missing here? (Like maybe a whole thread on same day standby?)
As a Gold you can ask to be placed on the stand-by list for the earlier flight. The agents will process as many passengers off the stand-by list to fill available economy seats.
Old Aug 25, 13, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Y0 may mean it's oversold, in which case they may op-up confirmed pax into the F5 just to avoid bumping anyone. I've not had much luck standby as a GLD onto Y0 flights. But you can always try.

The rules say that you have to get confirmed into Y before getting upgraded into F. If the flight really gets to departure time with full but not oversold Y, and empty F seats, they may not clear anyone requesting voluntary standby, and let the F seats go out empty.

You say you don't qualify for an upgrade - why not? Is this an award ticket? If it's any paid ticket, since it's domestic, as a GLD, you should qualify, as long as you are willing to buy the e500s (I assume as a new GLD you haven;t earned any free ones yet). If you'd be willing to buy those, let the GA know you'd be interested in upgrading if the standby clears. In this case, some GA's will bend the guidelines/system to clear you into Y and then F, even if Y is full.

And definitely check in right at 24 hours prior to your scheduled departure. Within the GLD group, the standby list will be ordered by check in time.
Old Aug 25, 13, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by swag View Post
...you should qualify, as long as you are willing to buy the e500s (I assume as a new GLD you haven;t earned any free ones yet). If you'd be willing to buy those, let the GA know you'd be interested in upgrading if the standby clears. In this case, some GA's will bend the guidelines/system to clear you into Y and then F, even if Y is full.
Thanks! All good data. I might try the e500s trick. If they'll let me fly the 1562 miles to BOS on three of em, it'd only be $15 more than a same day confirm -- which would only put me into Y anyway.

Guess I'll watch EF, find a friendly GA, and cross my fingers. Stranger things have been known to happen.
Old Aug 25, 13, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Thanks! All good data. I might try the e500s trick. If they'll let me fly the 1562 miles to BOS on three of em, it'd only be $15 more than a same day confirm -- which would only put me into Y anyway.

Guess I'll watch EF, find a friendly GA, and cross my fingers. Stranger things have been known to happen.
A flight of 1562 miles will require 4 stickers, not three, to upgrade (they allow 50 miles leeway).
Old Aug 25, 13, 11:53 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by rdrnnr
Originally Posted by swag View Post
...you should qualify, as long as you are willing to buy the e500s (I assume as a new GLD you haven;t earned any free ones yet). If you'd be willing to buy those, let the GA know you'd be interested in upgrading if the standby clears. In this case, some GA's will bend the guidelines/system to clear you into Y and then F, even if Y is full.

4 stickers
Old Aug 26, 13, 12:04 am

Programs: Alaska Air, PP, MGM Gold
AA1189:

Questions on this route...
Does this route use the new BSI?

Thanks!

Found the answering to the following already

Is there a charge to stream on my own devices? (If yes, is there a price list?)
What's the cost of wifi in flight?

Last edited by sinecure; Aug 26, 13 at 12:48 am Reason: Found answers.
Old Aug 26, 13, 10:07 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sinecure View Post
AA1189:

Questions on this route...
Does this route use the new BSI?

Thanks!

Found the answering to the following already

Is there a charge to stream on my own devices? (If yes, is there a price list?)
What's the cost of wifi in flight?
With the exception of the 762, AA does not dedicate aircraft to a specific route(s). The 737-800 with the Boeing Sky Interior could show up anywhere the 738 operate in the AA system.

All wifi info can be found at www.aa.com/wifi
Old Aug 26, 13, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
A few weeks ago I rolled past GLD and now I'm about half way between GLD and PLT.

My Mother ran and picked up mail for me the other day. To my suprise my GLD welcome kit was there. I had her open it and there was a GLD Card and what she is describing as some vouchers of some kind.

What are these vouchers???

Also there were no luggage tags.... (I told my GF I was switching to DL over this. She called me an idiot!)
Old Aug 26, 13, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by 0335th View Post

What are these vouchers???

Also there were no luggage tags.... (I told my GF I was switching to DL over this. She called me an idiot!)
They are AAplause certificates. You can hand them out to any AA employee who you feel was excellent. I believe they can then use those certificates and enter some employee raffle.

If only they can actually be discount/vouchers

And also, only EXPs or million milers get luggage tags.
Old Aug 26, 13, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by incognitoMD View Post
And also, only EXPs or million milers get luggage tags.
Yea, I just learned that the hard way... Life is full of disappointment!!!

I'll never hit EXP so I guess I'll just order some in the AC next week when I pass through one.

I don't suppose there is a way to order the AC ones online is there???

Search this Thread