Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

 

Old Aug 22, 13, 3:17 pm
  #1996  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 124
It was quite long so I just put the part that I'm worried about(only 75 mins to catch my flight back from anc), sorry to make you confused and thanks for the answer!
ILAZXFE is offline  
Old Aug 22, 13, 4:02 pm
  #1997  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 30,828
Originally Posted by salesflyerguy View Post
I am curious, why do most people seem to prefer to not rent SUVs and want cars instead?
If this is a personal rental and you're covering the insurance part with your personal policy, you might not be covered. I remember a thread here a few years back where an FTer rented a car at the Seattle Airport and was upgraded to a large SUV. On the way out of the parking structure he misjudged a wall and scraped the side of the SUV. His personal insurance policy would not cover him because it excluded large SUVs. He did not purchase the insurance waiver from the rental car company. He ended up paying out of pocket for the damages.
tom911 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 13, 4:26 pm
  #1998  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
Well, then, welcome down from lurkerspace.

Please take a moment to look over our forum - it is about American Airlines and the AAdvantage program; it has a FAQ, where information, links and resources can be found,, as well as a Wiki and - at the top of the page - an Announcement: NEWCOMERS: PLEASE READ FIRST.

FlyerTalk has many fora - for rental cars, Avis, Budget, Dollar,Hertz, National, Sixt and Other Car Rental Programs (ie. Alamo, Enterprise). These are the appropriate fora to inquire about car-rental issues, unless they are very general, and then TravelBuzz! might be a good place for a non-specific travel topic.

The top of the forum page usually has a statement about what the forum is intended for.

So, as this is the American AAdvantage Forum, though this is a flame-free "NEWBIE LOUNGE" thread, it is not likely you will get a lot of responses, and may attract some negative commentary - it's not allowed and will be deleted, but it can happen.

Feel free to settle in and get a good look at which fora will be useful to you. Your favorite airlines, car rental companies, destinations and more - they're probably covered, often in depth by some very knowledgeable travelers.

As to your question, I prefer better mileage and a lower profile, and if on business, my clients will rarely pay for SUVs - I have even had interesting times convincing an Orange County based client to pay for an SUV rental if they send me to their facilities in Minnesota in the winter (not so much snow and ice in Irvine, I guess).

JDiver
senior moderator
My mistake, I thought I was in the generalized forum.
salesflyerguy is offline  
Old Aug 22, 13, 6:01 pm
  #1999  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: San Antonio
Programs: AS MVP
Posts: 2,276
Originally Posted by jfarnsworth43 View Post
All - I've got a family of four. I want to take them to Japan (NRT), ideally in Business Class - home airport is IAD. My goal is to have enough AA miles to do this in 2 years through a combination of Citi and SPG miles and points, participating in a Bank Direct account for 1 year. I've got a 1st year line of site to 170k miles with this. It looks like this trip will take 400k miles. I've initially decided to accrue miles under my name with additional cards for my wife. I get to travel at most 3 to 4 trips a year domestic US. My primary interest in going on such a long flight in Business Class is to avoid the misery of coach class for a 17 hour plus journey.

Question 1: Given my proposed strategy, is 400k miles in 2 years time considered a slam dunk simple, intermediate level of difficulty or no way on earth from the professional mileage earning experts? Tough love appreciated.
Question 2: Is AA the best program for my goal journey? I would like to subsequently go from IAD to CDG every other year as well and save some with award travel (Business class not necessary for that journey due to shorter length).
Question 3: If I plan enough in advance with my IAD to NRT proposed itinerary, is finding 4 BC seats on one flight a fool's errand? I looked at the AA site and was surprised because this didn't seem to be the case - depending on when I looked there seemed to be lots of availability.
Question 4: What bonus mile opportunities come up for mere mortal level members of AAdvantage throughout an average year?
Question 5: What's the real verdict on the value of the AA dining program as a viable way to earn max miles?
Question 6: Assuming good credit for both my wife and I, how many miles are viably earnable via Citi Card bonuses during an average single year's time - I'm getting my Citi Personal in the mail today.

Thanks very much for your time in reading this.

Welcome to FlyerTalk! Keep in mind that 2 years is a long time, things change and, as always, YMMV.

Question 2: AA is probably a good place to start, you may also want to collect UA miles and UR points since both offer one-way award travel. With 4 passengers, flexibility is everything. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...redit-111.html and follow all of the directions in post #1654 for 55K miles, apply at the same time as your next other app. Chase Gift Cards make min. spending and adding miles easy.

Question 3: Collect as many miles as you can and plan to be flexible. YMMV but it should be doable in some fashion. Maybe you have to split up for a flight or two, or fly coach for some legs to make it happen. I strongly recommend picking up 2 Southwest cards the next time the bonus is 50K so you can use them for positioning if necessary. That will give you enough WN points for a lot of travel, and a companion pass which can be used on any flight.

Question 5: it's an easy way to pick up a few miles. No down side to it.

Questions 1, 4 & 6: Start here, reread the wiki a couple of times at least. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...first-139.html Currently each of you can get 53,000 miles every 33 days if you can meet the spending requirements. If you can't, start here and plan to do lots and lots of reading before you jump in: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-spending-719/

Last edited by KennyBSAT; Aug 22, 13 at 6:07 pm
KennyBSAT is offline  
Old Aug 23, 13, 11:57 am
  #2000  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 17
Will be flying through JFK T8 in business on Finnair to Helsinki (connecting from Boston in F) on an AA award ticket. From what I gather, I'll have access to the Admiral Club in JFK (I have a 6-hour layover). What can I expect from this lounge- free drink vouchers? free internet access? etc. etc. This is my first time ever flying anything other than coach, so I really don't know what to expect.

Also, just by trying to research on my own I saw that there are 2 admiral clubs in T8? Any suggestion on which one to go to?

Thanks
BUgrad is offline  
Old Aug 23, 13, 12:39 pm
  #2001  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 124
where to find miles info on aa.com? just booked bos-dfw-anc-dfw-bos, there's nothing about how many miles I can get from my trip details.
ILAZXFE is offline  
Old Aug 23, 13, 1:16 pm
  #2002  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 12,989
Originally Posted by ILAZXFE View Post
where to find miles info on aa.com? just booked bos-dfw-anc-dfw-bos, there's nothing about how many miles I can get from my trip details.
On the flight selection page when you book, if you click the little + sign next to the selection to open the flight info, it's shown there (except for partner flights).

If you don't need the perfectly exact number, it may be easier to use gcmap.com. It shows 9209 round trip, and that number's likely within just a few miles of AA's.
swag is offline  
Old Aug 23, 13, 1:35 pm
  #2003  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by swag View Post
On the flight selection page when you book, if you click the little + sign next to the selection to open the flight info, it's shown there (except for partner flights).

If you don't need the perfectly exact number, it may be easier to use gcmap.com. It shows 9209 round trip, and that number's likely within just a few miles of AA's.
Thank you! I do need the exact number from AA since I'm very close on the next level up. book bos-dfw-anc-dfw-bos 9208m according to AA, and than bos-dfw-lax-bdl-lax-bos. My real question is can I get the plat benefits for my trip after bos-dfw-lax (2797+9208=12005) or it takes some time for the system to add me to plat list?
ILAZXFE is offline  
Old Aug 23, 13, 2:47 pm
  #2004  
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: NorCal - SMF area
Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts: 60,316
When you can see your new miles, you will probably see your new status. But prior to that, you may have to call and request human intervention. (The miles etc. will post properly once you have status, but you may have to check your bookings made previously and have the status updated.)

You can also see the mileage between city pairs by looking at the PDF timetable - updated monthly.

Originally Posted by ILAZXFE View Post
Thank you! I do need the exact number from AA since I'm very close on the next level up. book bos-dfw-anc-dfw-bos 9208m according to AA, and than bos-dfw-lax-bdl-lax-bos. My real question is can I get the plat benefits for my trip after bos-dfw-lax (2797+9208=12005) or it takes some time for the system to add me to plat list?
JDiver is offline  
Old Aug 23, 13, 6:21 pm
  #2005  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by JDiver View Post
When you can see your new miles, you will probably see your new status. But prior to that, you may have to call and request human intervention. (The miles etc. will post properly once you have status, but you may have to check your bookings made previously and have the status updated.)

You can also see the mileage between city pairs by looking at the PDF timetable - updated monthly.
Thank you! I'll call them to make sure it works.
ILAZXFE is offline  
Old Aug 24, 13, 7:52 am
  #2006  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Posts: 12,989
Originally Posted by ILAZXFE View Post
Thank you! I do need the exact number from AA since I'm very close on the next level up. book bos-dfw-anc-dfw-bos 9208m according to AA, and than bos-dfw-lax-bdl-lax-bos. My real question is can I get the plat benefits for my trip after bos-dfw-lax (2797+9208=12005) or it takes some time for the system to add me to plat list?
The answers above are good, but let me ask, which benefits are you concerned about? You'll already have GLD after the ANC trip (this is the now-closed fast track promo, right?). For domestic flights booked this year, GLD and PLT travel benefits are essentially the same.

PLT's are higher up on the list for upgrades, standby, and irrop resolution, but unless you want to upgrade (which will cost, you won't have any e500s yet), these probably won't matter.

PLT also gets a higher flight mileage bonus, but this should apply to your post-12K flights, whether or not you show in the system as PLT at the time you fly.

The rest is the same. Even GLD gets you premium ticket counter check in, priority security line, priority boarding (right after PLT), access to MCE and exit row seats, 2 free checked bags, free same day standby...
swag is offline  
Old Aug 24, 13, 8:08 am
  #2007  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 124
Originally Posted by swag View Post
The answers above are good, but let me ask, which benefits are you concerned about? You'll already have GLD after the ANC trip (this is the now-closed fast track promo, right?). For domestic flights booked this year, GLD and PLT travel benefits are essentially the same.

PLT's are higher up on the list for upgrades, standby, and irrop resolution, but unless you want to upgrade (which will cost, you won't have any e500s yet), these probably won't matter.

PLT also gets a higher flight mileage bonus, but this should apply to your post-12K flights, whether or not you show in the system as PLT at the time you fly.

The rest is the same. Even GLD gets you premium ticket counter check in, priority security line, priority boarding (right after PLT), access to MCE and exit row seats, 2 free checked bags, free same day standby...
what is MCE? I think I'm more concerned about the bonus miles. I'll be flying another ~8000 right after I hit 12k, and 100% much better than 25%. Thank you for your precious time! I'll buy you guys drinks if you ever come to Boston!

Last edited by ILAZXFE; Aug 24, 13 at 12:41 pm
ILAZXFE is offline  
Old Aug 24, 13, 3:42 pm
  #2008  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: PHL
Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Posts: 2,148
This will be an easy question for you AA regulars but I spend 99% of my time on the US board so I don't know the answer.

I recently got the Citi AA credit card for myself which offered 40K miles after spending $3K in 3 months with no annual fee for year 1. Sounded like a great deal. So I decided to get one for the wife too. But the offer has changed to 30K miles after spending $1K in 3 months with no annual fee for year 1. Is the old offer still available with a different code ... and if not, should I wait for the old offer to be repeated? Thanks in advance for your reply.
apeortdz is offline  
Old Aug 24, 13, 6:01 pm
  #2009  
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: BOS
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Posts: 9,718
Originally Posted by ILAZXFE View Post
what is MCE? I think I'm more concerned about the bonus miles. I'll be flying another ~8000 right after I hit 12k, and 100% much better than 25%. Thank you for your precious time! I'll buy you guys drinks if you ever come to Boston!
MCE = Main Cabin Extra, basically AA's version of "economy plus" (UA) or "economy comfort" (DL).

Here are some threads to peruse:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
JY1024 is offline  
Old Aug 24, 13, 6:21 pm
  #2010  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,034
Originally Posted by apeortdz View Post
This will be an easy question for you AA regulars but I spend 99% of my time on the US board so I don't know the answer.

I recently got the Citi AA credit card for myself which offered 40K miles after spending $3K in 3 months with no annual fee for year 1. Sounded like a great deal. So I decided to get one for the wife too. But the offer has changed to 30K miles after spending $1K in 3 months with no annual fee for year 1. Is the old offer still available with a different code ... and if not, should I wait for the old offer to be repeated? Thanks in advance for your reply.
There are indeed still 40k offers, and even 50k offers available. I'll refer you to the master thread on the topic because this issue is quite dynamic and the correct links get updated frequently. I'd recommend reading at least the newest few pages of:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cred...-first-99.html
SFOPhD is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread