Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

 

Old Aug 17, 13, 12:30 pm
  #1951  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
Thanks incognitoMD & HNL!

It sounds not very straightforward... I am UK-based, it seems to take a longer to redeem it. Mmm more inconvenience...
While not ideal, the process does work. You just have to plan ahead a little. You can also use the voucher at any ticket counter. So if you will be traveling past LHR or MAN you can stop in a purchase a flight.
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 2:33 pm
  #1952  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Miami
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 5
Hello! I need some help right now tomorrow im flying MIA-SCL operated by LAN i want to know as a gold member if i can use the mileage multiplier even if I'm flying LAN because I'm sort of close to platinum and it would be great if i could. I also want to know (pardon my question) is that if the J cabin is not full can i ask for an upgrade even though I'm flying class M ?

Thanks for any answers!
kmia is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 2:39 pm
  #1953  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by kmia View Post
Hello! I need some help right now tomorrow im flying MIA-SCL operated by LAN i want to know as a gold member if i can use the mileage multiplier even if I'm flying LAN because I'm sort of close to platinum and it would be great if i could. I also want to know (pardon my question) is that if the J cabin is not full can i ask for an upgrade even though I'm flying class M ?

Thanks for any answers!
The Mileage Multiplier is not offered on partner airlines. Additionally the miles purchased through the Mileage Multiplier are Redeemable Miles (RDMs) and do not count toward Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs).

LAN does not offer any upgrade instruments to partner airlines frequent fliers. You will not be able to upgrade as an AA Gold. You can pay the difference in fare to ride in Business.
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 3:30 pm
  #1954  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 929
Originally Posted by jenjen2606 View Post
Hi, I have an URGENT question. My AA miles will expire tomorrow and I bought some things through Advantage e-shopping. I cannot confirm that I have been credited miles for these purchases and as far as I can tell it will take weeks for them to come through. Will my mileage account be cleared tomorrow and then reinstated once the Advantage e-shopping miles are credited? I have found Advantage to be really unhelpful, unlike United who just gave me a mile! thanks in advance!
The eShopping miles will post with the date of your purchase. That should be enough to keep your miles alive. If it doesn't happen that way, call AA.
_kurt is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 5:25 pm
  #1955  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 1
Talking Receiving ExPlat benefits using someone else's miles

Hi All,

Searched high and low for an answer to this question, but couldn't find anything definitive.

I am planning a trip to Europe soon using my dad's miles and he is an AA ExPlat. Will I receive the same ExPlat benefits at the airport/onboard as he does because I am using miles from his account or will I be treated normally as an economy passenger? Also, I have AA Gold status if that makes any difference (I am guessing not). If I do receive any benefits, will they extend to other OneWorld carriers? Also, he is an Admirals Club member, will I be able to piggyback on access?

Any and all answers welcome!
waveloch is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 6:29 pm
  #1956  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,033
Originally Posted by waveloch View Post
Hi All,

Searched high and low for an answer to this question, but couldn't find anything definitive.

I am planning a trip to Europe soon using my dad's miles and he is an AA ExPlat. Will I receive the same ExPlat benefits at the airport/onboard as he does because I am using miles from his account or will I be treated normally as an economy passenger? Also, I have AA Gold status if that makes any difference (I am guessing not). If I do receive any benefits, will they extend to other OneWorld carriers? Also, he is an Admirals Club member, will I be able to piggyback on access?

Any and all answers welcome!
Welcome to FT!

You will be treated as a Gold member, not Executive Platinum. Treatment is based on passenger status, not the giver of the miles. LIkewise, you will not be able to access the Admiral's Club based on his membership.

You do receive benefits on other OneWorld carriers because of your Gold status, which is OneWorld Ruby:
http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/oneworld-benefits

Enjoy your trip!
SFOPhD is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 8:41 pm
  #1957  
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: LAX/DCA
Programs: AA, US
Posts: 50
Just booked a first class seat via mileage on an Alaska flight through AA.com. The seating is left unassigned. Will I get a first class seat or am I just going to get bumped to an exit row or something?
jys55 is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 8:50 pm
  #1958  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Posts: 3,189
Originally Posted by jys55 View Post
Just booked a first class seat via mileage on an Alaska flight through AA.com. The seating is left unassigned. Will I get a first class seat or am I just going to get bumped to an exit row or something?
You won't get downgraded to Y.

Call AA for a seat assignment.
sukn is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 9:36 pm
  #1959  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 6_1_4 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/536.26 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0 Mobile/10B350 Safari/8536.25)

Originally Posted by jys55
Just booked a first class seat via mileage on an Alaska flight through AA.com. The seating is left unassigned. Will I get a first class seat or am I just going to get bumped to an exit row or something?
You will be seated in the First Class cabin. Call Alaska Airlines or American Airlines for a seat assignment.
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 11:51 am
  #1960  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,340
Does exit row / good seat on OW member (BA) or partner (Alaska) free for AA plat ?
Assume we should call the airline and AA can't book them ?

Separate question : I have a CDG-LHR-LAX-SEA, booked on AA.com and that involves AA, BA & Alaska, do I have a BA & Alaska "file number" ? Would like to change the assigned seats on line if possible.

Thank you
CGRA is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 2:43 pm
  #1961  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by cedricgerald View Post
Does exit row / good seat on OW member (BA) or partner (Alaska) free for AA plat ?
Assume we should call the airline and AA can't book them ?

Separate question : I have a CDG-LHR-LAX-SEA, booked on AA.com and that involves AA, BA & Alaska, do I have a BA & Alaska "file number" ? Would like to change the assigned seats on line if possible.

Thank you
Call AA and ask for the BA and AS record locators. With that information you will be able to visit the respective airlines and change your seats. As an AA Plat you will have access to "premium" seats in economy on AS. On BA you will need to pay for the seat assignment if done in advance.
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 6:26 pm
  #1962  
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BOS/BDL
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 775
Some noob EXP questions and question about ticketing.

Referenced this: http://www.aa.com/pubcontent/en_US/d..._Mktg_Page.jsp

First: EXPs get free domestic upgrades...does an EXP have to purchase a Y or B fare like Plats and Golds to receive the upgrade or does even the cheapest discount economy fare qualify?

Second: EXP companion upgrades, AA says the companion must be on a Y or B fare to be eligible, or "If they purchased any other type of fare, he or she can still be upgraded with you, but we will deduct an upgrade from your account for every 500 miles of travel." I thought EXPs didn't get 500 mile upgrades/stickers?

Last: A friend is going to be flying home in a couple months for a visit, if I offered to buy the ticket would I receive the mileage from his flight if purchased through my account (I would not be accompanying him)? And if so, would said mileage count towards EQM/EQP or just RDM?

Thanks as always!
Pinned is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 6:32 pm
  #1963  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Benicia CA
Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Posts: 30,794
Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
First: EXPs get free domestic upgrades...does an EXP have to purchase a Y or B fare like Plats and Golds to receive the upgrade or does even the cheapest discount economy fare qualify?
Any published fare will do.

Second: EXP companion upgrades, AA says the companion must be on a Y or B fare to be eligible, or "If they purchased any other type of fare, he or she can still be upgraded with you, but we will deduct an upgrade from your account for every 500 miles of travel." I thought EXPs didn't get 500 mile upgrades/stickers?
You'll accrue upgrades as a Gold or Platinum that can be used as they don't expire. Once you're out of those you'll need to buy them. It's cheaper to buy them on-line than in-person at the counter.

Last: A friend is going to be flying home in a couple months for a visit, if I offered to buy the ticket would I receive the mileage from his flight if purchased through my account (I would not be accompanying him)?
You'll only get miles if you're the one doing the flying.
tom911 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 8:29 pm
  #1964  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 433
I have an award ticket booked through AA for LAX-NRT-BKK with a 1 hr 10 min connection in NRT. If I miss the connection in NRT, will AA rebook me on a flight of their choosing or am I screwed?
jasonz9238 is offline  
Old Aug 18, 13, 9:20 pm
  #1965  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by jasonz9238 View Post
I have an award ticket booked through AA for LAX-NRT-BKK with a 1 hr 10 min connection in NRT. If I miss the connection in NRT, will AA rebook me on a flight of their choosing or am I screwed?
Provided all the flights are on oneworld airlines (AA, JL, CX, MH in Asia) then you will be protected. If you are connecting to a NH or UA flight and the flights re booked on two different bookings then you will face more of a challenge to get from NRT to BKK.
HNL is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread