Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 15, 13, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Same Day Stand By..

Hi There,

I am Executive Platinum with AA. I have a BOS-ORD-LHR ticket on
AA (sold and marketed by AA). Is it possible for me to standby for
a direct BOS-LHR flight on BA (code-shared with AA) ? Is there
any charge for it ?

Thanks in advance ...F.A.
Old Aug 15, 13, 3:15 pm

Questions about international travel and bag transfers.

If I fly JAL from LAX to Kuala Lumpur then transfer with Maylasian Air to DPS, do my bags transfer? Or do I need to collect my bags then check in with Maylasian air and check my bags with them? That would be a pain with customs and all.

Thanks
Cody
Old Aug 15, 13, 4:14 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RadGnar View Post
Questions about international travel and bag transfers.

If I fly JAL from LAX to Kuala Lumpur then transfer with Maylasian Air to DPS, do my bags transfer? Or do I need to collect my bags then check in with Maylasian air and check my bags with them? That would be a pain with customs and all.

Thanks
Cody
You can check your bags through from LAX - NRT - KUL - DPS.
If the flights are on different reservations just have a printout of the MH booking.
Old Aug 15, 13, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Hiya, UA flyer here, need some basic advice on AA.

In November, my folks are flying:
LHR-MIA-SCL
EZE-MIA...6 day break...MIA-LHR.

I had hoped they would fly United, so I could use my UA Global Premier Upgrade vouchers to (hopefully) upgrade their travel. But their tour requires them to fly AA, so I initially thought that plan was dead.

However I remembered FlyerTalk's wonderful Coupon Connection, so I figured I might have some joy in trading my GPUs for whatever AA equivalent enable Economy Class to be upgraded on international flights.
However I know diddly about the AA system, so I hope you kind folks can answer my questions.

What is the AA equivalent of UA GPUs?
Depending on reward availability, UA GPUs can be applied immediately, or at the gate, or fail altogether. Does the AA system work the same way?
Are there restrictions on usage? (UA doesn't allow them to be used on certain bargain-bucket fare codes)?

For the above itinerary, would you need one upgrade each way per person? Does the week-long break in the middle affect things?

Are there AA fees to pay?
If so, who needs to pay those fees, and when are they payable?
I assume there would be additional taxes (e.g. for flights to the UK) if Business Class is secured? Who needs to pay those, and when?

Are there any other reasons that the AA version isn't equivalent to UA GPU, any reason that I shouldn't just try for a 1-for-1 trade on Coupon Connection?

Thanks so much!!!!
Old Aug 15, 13, 6:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Motorskills View Post
Depending on reward availability, UA GPUs can be applied immediately, or at the gate, or fail altogether. Does the AA system work the same way?
Are there restrictions on usage? (UA doesn't allow them to be used on certain bargain-bucket fare codes)?

For the above itinerary, would you need one upgrade each way per person? Does the week-long break in the middle affect things?

I assume there would be additional taxes (e.g. for flights to the UK) if Business Class is secured? Who needs to pay those, and when?

Are there any other reasons that the AA version isn't equivalent to UA GPU, any reason that I shouldn't just try for a 1-for-1 trade on Coupon Connection?

Thanks so much!!!!
GPU = SWU/eVIP
Applied similarly to GPUs. Can be immediate if upgrade space if available, but otherwise will waitlist, and unfortunately will be priority of the status of the passenger, not the donor.
No restrictions on usage like UA. Any revenue fare is OK.
Not sure what the stopover does to SWU usage... someone else should chime in here.
No fees. Not sure about the UK stuff. I don't recall paying any when my upgrades to/from LHR cleared.
I like AA SWUs more than UA GPUs, but I think there are more SWUs floating around. I'd consider a 1-for-1 trade more than fair myself.
Old Aug 15, 13, 6:22 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes - AA has System Wide Upgrades (SWU) formerly known as eVIPs. SWUs are good for a one cabin upgrade for upto 3 segments with travel in the same direction. They can clear in advance or at the gate. There are some extra preparation needed to be able to clear at the gate without hassle.

For the quoted itinerary 3 SWUs would be needed for each passenger.
LHR-MIA-SCL = 1 SWU
EZE-MIA = 1 SWU
MIA-LHR = 1 SWU

The 6 day layover causes the third SWU to be used.

There are additional APDs will be required to be paid for the LHR premium cabin departing upgrade. I forget the current rate - I think it's approx 75GBP per person. This is to be paid when the upgrade clears. But you need to provide a credit card when listing for the upgrade.

Thanks so much!!!!
The AA SWU does not have any minimum fare class restrictions. I think the UA GPU does require a more expensive fare to be purchased. This will factor into the pricing.

Good Luck.
Old Aug 15, 13, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!
Old Aug 15, 13, 11:03 pm
Formerly known as cedricgerald

Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Yes
Thank you HNL
Old Aug 16, 13, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by edta450 View Post
OK, this happened since I tried to interweave award and revenue tickets..

1) BOS-DFW(12.5h overnight)-ICN : BOS-DFW is revenue and DFW-ICN award. all AA.

a) Can I thru check baggages to ICN or should I claim at DFW?
b) If baggages are thru-tagged, should I pay baggage fee?
b-1) If DFW-ICN is award J or F, is my chance of getting fee waiver better?
c) If DFW-ICN is award J or F, will BOS AC let me in?

2) ICN-ORD(OZ C award)-BOS(AA)

a) Can I thru check baggage to BOS, assuming OLCI ORD-BOS and have the boarding pass? - (Probably yes, I guess)
b) If I get a thru baggage tag to BOS, should I pay baggage fee when I re-check in @ ORD?

Thanks!
edta450
Since no one has answered this, I'll give it a shot. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I'm not sure if AA will allow you to check bags through and keep them at DFW overnight. However, I personally wouldn't keep my bags in the hands of airport baggage handlers overnight at any airport. If you're going to a hotel for the night, I would take my bags with me. Here's a thread with some relevant information; it seems that the conclusion is YMMV.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-layover.html

Since I'm sure you get a free bag for DFW-ICN even in coach, being in J/F wouldn't affect whether you have to pay in BOS (unless you are checking in more than one). Perhaps be prepared to pay a baggage fee in BOS, but argue your point anyway. I suspect if they allow you to tag it through, then you won't need to pay. Otherwise, you might.

Unfortunately, according to oneworld rules lounge access is for same-day as the international segment (assuming you're qualification for access is class of service or AA status). So I think you'll be denied at BOS.

2. Yes, OZ and AA have a baggage interline agreement. Show the OZ agent your onward AA flights and your bags will be tagged through to BOS. At ORD, you will need to collect your bags for CBP of course, but then you will simply drop it off at the re-check counter since it's already tagged; you won't pay or anything.
Old Aug 16, 13, 9:12 am

Hi, I have an URGENT question. My AA miles will expire tomorrow and I bought some things through Advantage e-shopping. I cannot confirm that I have been credited miles for these purchases and as far as I can tell it will take weeks for them to come through. Will my mileage account be cleared tomorrow and then reinstated once the Advantage e-shopping miles are credited? I have found Advantage to be really unhelpful, unlike United who just gave me a mile! thanks in advance!
Old Aug 16, 13, 9:19 am

Programs: nothing but freebies
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Since no one has answered this, I'll give it a shot. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I'm not sure if AA will allow you to check bags through and keep them at DFW overnight. However, I personally wouldn't keep my bags in the hands of airport baggage handlers overnight at any airport. If you're going to a hotel for the night, I would take my bags with me. Here's a thread with some relevant information; it seems that the conclusion is YMMV.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-layover.html

Since I'm sure you get a free bag for DFW-ICN even in coach, being in J/F wouldn't affect whether you have to pay in BOS (unless you are checking in more than one). Perhaps be prepared to pay a baggage fee in BOS, but argue your point anyway. I suspect if they allow you to tag it through, then you won't need to pay. Otherwise, you might.

Unfortunately, according to oneworld rules lounge access is for same-day as the international segment (assuming you're qualification for access is class of service or AA status). So I think you'll be denied at BOS.

2. Yes, OZ and AA have a baggage interline agreement. Show the OZ agent your onward AA flights and your bags will be tagged through to BOS. At ORD, you will need to collect your bags for CBP of course, but then you will simply drop it off at the re-check counter since it's already tagged; you won't pay or anything.
Thanks for the kind answers! Yes I agree, I don't like my baggage left in airport overnight, but this time I won't have much in it-I just need a bigger case for my return flight. So I can risk it this time over $25 fee
Old Aug 16, 13, 2:18 pm

Programs: BA GGL, UA GS, NH SFC, IHG Spire, Radisson Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
AA coupon/voucher

Hi,

Sorry, but I am not very familiar with AA's administrative matters.

As a compensation for travel inconvenience, I just received a coupon from AA. It looks like a cheque, but is only valid for an AA purchase.

My questions is how I could use this coupon? It says "Transportation Voucher, Exchange Coupon". I do not really know how to use it and no explanation is found on it. Can I use it for an online purchase?

Thank you in advance!
Old Aug 16, 13, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
Hi,

Sorry, but I am not very familiar with AA's administrative matters.

As a compensation for travel inconvenience, I just received a coupon from AA. It looks like a cheque, but is only valid for an AA purchase.

My questions is how I could use this coupon? It says "Transportation Voucher, Exchange Coupon". I do not really know how to use it and no explanation is found on it. Can I use it for an online purchase?

Thank you in advance!
After you have a reservation on hold, you need to call AA to apply the transportation voucher. No $25 telephone ticketing fee will be charged. It is not possible to use the transportation voucher online yourself.
Old Aug 16, 13, 9:06 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by incognitoMD View Post
After you have a reservation on hold, you need to call AA to apply the transportation voucher. No $25 telephone ticketing fee will be charged. It is not possible to use the transportation voucher online yourself.
And then you will need to mail the voucher to Milton, FL.

This thread will be a good read: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Old Aug 17, 13, 12:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA GS, NH SFC, IHG Spire, Radisson Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Thanks incognitoMD & HNL!

It sounds not very straightforward... I am UK-based, it seems to take a longer to redeem it. Mmm more inconvenience...

Search this Thread