Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

 

Old Aug 15, 13, 2:57 pm
  #1936  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Boston, USA
Programs: AA EXP, TK Elite, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Posts: 794
Same Day Stand By..

Hi There,

I am Executive Platinum with AA. I have a BOS-ORD-LHR ticket on
AA (sold and marketed by AA). Is it possible for me to standby for
a direct BOS-LHR flight on BA (code-shared with AA) ? Is there
any charge for it ?

Thanks in advance ...F.A.
flyalways is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 3:15 pm
  #1937  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2
Questions about international travel and bag transfers.

If I fly JAL from LAX to Kuala Lumpur then transfer with Maylasian Air to DPS, do my bags transfer? Or do I need to collect my bags then check in with Maylasian air and check my bags with them? That would be a pain with customs and all.

Thanks
Cody
RadGnar is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 4:14 pm
  #1938  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by RadGnar View Post
Questions about international travel and bag transfers.

If I fly JAL from LAX to Kuala Lumpur then transfer with Maylasian Air to DPS, do my bags transfer? Or do I need to collect my bags then check in with Maylasian air and check my bags with them? That would be a pain with customs and all.

Thanks
Cody
You can check your bags through from LAX - NRT - KUL - DPS.
If the flights are on different reservations just have a printout of the MH booking.
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 6:01 pm
  #1939  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Posts: 663
Hiya, UA flyer here, need some basic advice on AA.


In November, my folks are flying:
LHR-MIA-SCL
EZE-MIA...6 day break...MIA-LHR.

I had hoped they would fly United, so I could use my UA Global Premier Upgrade vouchers to (hopefully) upgrade their travel. But their tour requires them to fly AA, so I initially thought that plan was dead.

However I remembered FlyerTalk's wonderful Coupon Connection, so I figured I might have some joy in trading my GPUs for whatever AA equivalent enable Economy Class to be upgraded on international flights.
However I know diddly about the AA system, so I hope you kind folks can answer my questions.

What is the AA equivalent of UA GPUs?
Depending on reward availability, UA GPUs can be applied immediately, or at the gate, or fail altogether. Does the AA system work the same way?
Are there restrictions on usage? (UA doesn't allow them to be used on certain bargain-bucket fare codes)?

For the above itinerary, would you need one upgrade each way per person? Does the week-long break in the middle affect things?

Are there AA fees to pay?
If so, who needs to pay those fees, and when are they payable?
I assume there would be additional taxes (e.g. for flights to the UK) if Business Class is secured? Who needs to pay those, and when?


Are there any other reasons that the AA version isn't equivalent to UA GPU, any reason that I shouldn't just try for a 1-for-1 trade on Coupon Connection?

Thanks so much!!!!
Motorskills is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 6:15 pm
  #1940  
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 2,034
Originally Posted by Motorskills View Post
What is the AA equivalent of UA GPUs?
Depending on reward availability, UA GPUs can be applied immediately, or at the gate, or fail altogether. Does the AA system work the same way?
Are there restrictions on usage? (UA doesn't allow them to be used on certain bargain-bucket fare codes)?

For the above itinerary, would you need one upgrade each way per person? Does the week-long break in the middle affect things?

Are there AA fees to pay?
If so, who needs to pay those fees, and when are they payable?
I assume there would be additional taxes (e.g. for flights to the UK) if Business Class is secured? Who needs to pay those, and when?


Are there any other reasons that the AA version isn't equivalent to UA GPU, any reason that I shouldn't just try for a 1-for-1 trade on Coupon Connection?

Thanks so much!!!!
GPU = SWU/eVIP
Applied similarly to GPUs. Can be immediate if upgrade space if available, but otherwise will waitlist, and unfortunately will be priority of the status of the passenger, not the donor.
No restrictions on usage like UA. Any revenue fare is OK.
Not sure what the stopover does to SWU usage... someone else should chime in here.
No fees. Not sure about the UK stuff. I don't recall paying any when my upgrades to/from LHR cleared.
I like AA SWUs more than UA GPUs, but I think there are more SWUs floating around. I'd consider a 1-for-1 trade more than fair myself.
SFOPhD is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 6:22 pm
  #1941  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by Motorskills View Post
What is the AA equivalent of UA GPUs?
Depending on reward availability, UA GPUs can be applied immediately, or at the gate, or fail altogether. Does the AA system work the same way?
Are there restrictions on usage? (UA doesn't allow them to be used on certain bargain-bucket fare codes)?
Yes - AA has System Wide Upgrades (SWU) formerly known as eVIPs. SWUs are good for a one cabin upgrade for upto 3 segments with travel in the same direction. They can clear in advance or at the gate. There are some extra preparation needed to be able to clear at the gate without hassle.

Originally Posted by Motorskills View Post
For the above itinerary, would you need one upgrade each way per person? Does the week-long break in the middle affect things?
For the quoted itinerary 3 SWUs would be needed for each passenger.
LHR-MIA-SCL = 1 SWU
EZE-MIA = 1 SWU
MIA-LHR = 1 SWU

The 6 day layover causes the third SWU to be used.

Originally Posted by Motorskills View Post
Are there AA fees to pay?
If so, who needs to pay those fees, and when are they payable?
I assume there would be additional taxes (e.g. for flights to the UK) if Business Class is secured? Who needs to pay those, and when?
There are additional APDs will be required to be paid for the LHR premium cabin departing upgrade. I forget the current rate - I think it's approx 75GBP per person. This is to be paid when the upgrade clears. But you need to provide a credit card when listing for the upgrade.


Originally Posted by Motorskills View Post
Are there any other reasons that the AA version isn't equivalent to UA GPU, any reason that I shouldn't just try for a 1-for-1 trade on Coupon Connection?

Thanks so much!!!!
The AA SWU does not have any minimum fare class restrictions. I think the UA GPU does require a more expensive fare to be purchased. This will factor into the pricing.

Good Luck.
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 10:26 pm
  #1942  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: IAH
Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
Posts: 663
Thanks for the responses, much appreciated!
Motorskills is offline  
Old Aug 15, 13, 11:03 pm
  #1943  
Formerly known as cedricgerald
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,341
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Yes
Thank you HNL
CGRA is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 12:00 am
  #1944  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by edta450 View Post
OK, this happened since I tried to interweave award and revenue tickets..

1) BOS-DFW(12.5h overnight)-ICN : BOS-DFW is revenue and DFW-ICN award. all AA.

a) Can I thru check baggages to ICN or should I claim at DFW?
b) If baggages are thru-tagged, should I pay baggage fee?
b-1) If DFW-ICN is award J or F, is my chance of getting fee waiver better?
c) If DFW-ICN is award J or F, will BOS AC let me in?

2) ICN-ORD(OZ C award)-BOS(AA)

a) Can I thru check baggage to BOS, assuming OLCI ORD-BOS and have the boarding pass? - (Probably yes, I guess)
b) If I get a thru baggage tag to BOS, should I pay baggage fee when I re-check in @ ORD?

Thanks!
edta450
Since no one has answered this, I'll give it a shot. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I'm not sure if AA will allow you to check bags through and keep them at DFW overnight. However, I personally wouldn't keep my bags in the hands of airport baggage handlers overnight at any airport. If you're going to a hotel for the night, I would take my bags with me. Here's a thread with some relevant information; it seems that the conclusion is YMMV.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-layover.html

Since I'm sure you get a free bag for DFW-ICN even in coach, being in J/F wouldn't affect whether you have to pay in BOS (unless you are checking in more than one). Perhaps be prepared to pay a baggage fee in BOS, but argue your point anyway. I suspect if they allow you to tag it through, then you won't need to pay. Otherwise, you might.

Unfortunately, according to oneworld rules lounge access is for same-day as the international segment (assuming you're qualification for access is class of service or AA status). So I think you'll be denied at BOS.

2. Yes, OZ and AA have a baggage interline agreement. Show the OZ agent your onward AA flights and your bags will be tagged through to BOS. At ORD, you will need to collect your bags for CBP of course, but then you will simply drop it off at the re-check counter since it's already tagged; you won't pay or anything.
Apieinthesky is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 9:12 am
  #1945  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Hi, I have an URGENT question. My AA miles will expire tomorrow and I bought some things through Advantage e-shopping. I cannot confirm that I have been credited miles for these purchases and as far as I can tell it will take weeks for them to come through. Will my mileage account be cleared tomorrow and then reinstated once the Advantage e-shopping miles are credited? I have found Advantage to be really unhelpful, unlike United who just gave me a mile! thanks in advance!
jenjen2606 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 9:19 am
  #1946  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: BOS / ICN
Programs: nothing but freebies
Posts: 244
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
Since no one has answered this, I'll give it a shot. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

1. I'm not sure if AA will allow you to check bags through and keep them at DFW overnight. However, I personally wouldn't keep my bags in the hands of airport baggage handlers overnight at any airport. If you're going to a hotel for the night, I would take my bags with me. Here's a thread with some relevant information; it seems that the conclusion is YMMV.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...t-layover.html

Since I'm sure you get a free bag for DFW-ICN even in coach, being in J/F wouldn't affect whether you have to pay in BOS (unless you are checking in more than one). Perhaps be prepared to pay a baggage fee in BOS, but argue your point anyway. I suspect if they allow you to tag it through, then you won't need to pay. Otherwise, you might.

Unfortunately, according to oneworld rules lounge access is for same-day as the international segment (assuming you're qualification for access is class of service or AA status). So I think you'll be denied at BOS.

2. Yes, OZ and AA have a baggage interline agreement. Show the OZ agent your onward AA flights and your bags will be tagged through to BOS. At ORD, you will need to collect your bags for CBP of course, but then you will simply drop it off at the re-check counter since it's already tagged; you won't pay or anything.
Thanks for the kind answers! Yes I agree, I don't like my baggage left in airport overnight, but this time I won't have much in it-I just need a bigger case for my return flight. So I can risk it this time over $25 fee
edta450 is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 2:18 pm
  #1947  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Programs: BA GGL, UA GS, NH SFC, IHG Spire, Radisson Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 493
AA coupon/voucher

Hi,

Sorry, but I am not very familiar with AA's administrative matters.

As a compensation for travel inconvenience, I just received a coupon from AA. It looks like a cheque, but is only valid for an AA purchase.

My questions is how I could use this coupon? It says "Transportation Voucher, Exchange Coupon". I do not really know how to use it and no explanation is found on it. Can I use it for an online purchase?

Thank you in advance!
Dark Blue is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 8:33 pm
  #1948  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: ORD
Posts: 321
Originally Posted by Dark Blue View Post
Hi,

Sorry, but I am not very familiar with AA's administrative matters.

As a compensation for travel inconvenience, I just received a coupon from AA. It looks like a cheque, but is only valid for an AA purchase.

My questions is how I could use this coupon? It says "Transportation Voucher, Exchange Coupon". I do not really know how to use it and no explanation is found on it. Can I use it for an online purchase?

Thank you in advance!
After you have a reservation on hold, you need to call AA to apply the transportation voucher. No $25 telephone ticketing fee will be charged. It is not possible to use the transportation voucher online yourself.
incognitoMD is offline  
Old Aug 16, 13, 9:06 pm
  #1949  
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,831
Originally Posted by incognitoMD View Post
After you have a reservation on hold, you need to call AA to apply the transportation voucher. No $25 telephone ticketing fee will be charged. It is not possible to use the transportation voucher online yourself.
And then you will need to mail the voucher to Milton, FL.

This thread will be a good read: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 17, 13, 12:43 am
  #1950  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oxford, United Kingdom
Programs: BA GGL, UA GS, NH SFC, IHG Spire, Radisson Platinum, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Posts: 493
Thanks incognitoMD & HNL!

It sounds not very straightforward... I am UK-based, it seems to take a longer to redeem it. Mmm more inconvenience...
Dark Blue is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread