Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:19 pm

Cool Need Help LAX-SGN

Hello flyers,

I'm new here so please forgive me if this question has been asked before. I've tried searching the forum and couldn't find it.

My goal is to fly business class via Cathay Pacific in July/August of next year using AAdvantage miles/points. My question is how do search for availability flights? Also how do I redeem/book the flight using miles/points?

I just signed up for Citi credit card so I'm hoping to get enough miles/points by next July/August for business. Thank you for your help and wish me luck!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by asiantraveler
My goal is to fly business class via Cathay Pacific in July/August of next year using AAdvantage miles/points. My question is how do search for availability flights? Also how do I redeem/book the flight using miles/points?
You will need to call AA to book CX flights. AA can also check availability for you, or you can check on some other oneworld carriers' websites.

And welcome to FT!

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 15, 2013 at 1:34 am Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability, added quote for continuity
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:34 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Use the Japan Airlines or British Airways websites to search for partner awards on CX. Awards made available to these Oneworld partners are almost always also made available to AA. As others mentioned, you then call AA to book the flights.

Nice tutorial with screenshots here:
http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/0...acific-redeem/

Last edited by Microwave; Aug 15, 2013 at 1:35 am Reason: Added quote for continuity
Old Aug 15, 2013, 1:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I'm new here so please forgive me if this question has been asked before. I've tried searching the forum and couldn't find it.

Hello and welcome to FlyerTalk! We do not typically move threads into the Newbie Lounge, but in this case I think that is the best place for your question. As you have follow-up questions, you should be able to get help here as well. Good luck with your travels!

~Moderator
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: "All of the above"
Dear Flyer Talkers,

I have a question about AAdvantage status miles accrual.

I have read and studied http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...quirements.jsp as well as http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/british.jsp ...

I will be flying: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=lhr,+lh...d-sin-lhr,+lhr

LHR-HKG and SYD-LHR (lhr-sin-lhr actually..) will be Premium Economy with BA.
The other legs are BA/Cathay/Qantas, in probably some cheaper eco.

My calculations are: [1.5*LHR-HKG]+[HKG-AKL]+[AKL-SYD]+[1.5*SYD-LHR] =
(1.5×5994)+5688+1345+(1.5×(3907+6765)) = 32 032 EQ Status points

Is this correct? I have no status with AA or anything in OW.

Thank you!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by guslindahl
Dear Flyer Talkers,

I have read and studied http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...quirements.jsp as well as http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...es/british.jsp ...

Thank you!
1.5 points per elite qualifying mile is correct for premium economy on BA. Also, since you mentioned cheaper Y fares, not all fares will give 1.0 EQP per mile on CX/QF.

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...hayPacific.jsp
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

Apart from that, calculation seems correct, maybe +/- a couple of points/miles here and there.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS Club, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Award ticket "On Request"

Hey guys,

I just booked an award on CX: LAX-HKG-BOM. Right now, the ticket shows "On Request" and it's been a little more than 24 hours. This is my first award booking with AA and I'm curious to know how long it usually takes for partner airlines to approve tickets. I think it was the last award seat in First Class and I am really hoping I don't get a negative response from AA.
Any inputs are appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:47 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chandu2013
Hey guys,

I just booked an award on CX: LAX-HKG-BOM. Right now, the ticket shows "On Request" and it's been a little more than 24 hours. This is my first award booking with AA and I'm curious to know how long it usually takes for partner airlines to approve tickets. I think it was the last award seat in First Class and I am really hoping I don't get a negative response from AA.

Thanks!
It can take a couple of days for partner airlines to ticket. I'd give it 48 to 72 hours, then I would call AA and have the agent try to sort the ticket.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 8:53 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
When the ticketing involves other airlines than AA, it must be processed and will take some time - less if the award is to be flown soon, a few days perhaps if it is distant. Under 24 hours - it would be unusual to see ift completely processed and ticketed this quickly, IMO.

If everything works out and the credit card for the fees processes, it will go from "On Request" to "Purchased" and "Ticketed". Ticketed, and when you have ticket numbers - it's fully processed and can be trusted.

LAX-HKG-BOM doesn't sound like too much of a problem if it was processed with the proper number of miles, etc. but it takes a little time to wend its way through the systems of both airlines.

See this thread: Ticket status "on request", "purchased" and "ticketed" issues (consolidated)

(Advanced Search thread titles only, results as threads, keyword "on"+request will work well; "on" because very common terms or those with three characters or less require quotation marks to force the search, + requires search to also find the associated word/s in the search. It actually is a decent tool when you learn its quirks and possibilities.)

Enjoy your trip in Cathay First! And I hope you have a little time to enjoy the Hong Kong lounges.

Hey guys,

Thanks!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
When the ticketing involves other airlines than AA, it must be processed and will take some time - less if the award is to be flown soon, a few days perhaps if it is distant. Under 24 hours - it would be unusual to see ift completely processed and ticketed this quickly, IMO.

If everything works out and the credit card for the fees processes, it will go from "On Request" to "Purchased" and "Ticketed". Ticketed, and when you have ticket numbers - it's fully processed and can be trusted.

LAX-HKG-BOM doesn't sound like too much of a problem if it was processed with the proper number of miles, etc. but it takes a little time to wend its way through the systems of both airlines.

See this thread: Ticket status "on request", "purchased" and "ticketed" issues (consolidated)

(Advanced Search thread titles only, results as threads, keyword "on"+request will work well; "on" because very common terms or those with three characters or less require quotation marks to force the search, + requires search to also find the associated word/s in the search. It actually is a decent tool when you learn its quirks and possibilities.)

Enjoy your trip in Cathay First! And I hope you have a little time to enjoy the Hong Kong lounges.
Originally Posted by HNL
It can take a couple of days for partner airlines to ticket. I'd give it 48 to 72 hours, then I would call AA and have the agent try to sort the ticket.
Thanks guys! Very helpful...will keep an eye out for the confirmation.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 9:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

incognitoMD gave you the basics. On Cathay, unless booked as an AA codeshare, anything below H fares in discounted economy will render NO AA miles or points (incognitoMD gave you the link so be sure to check it out). Discounted fares on Qantas will produce 25-50% miles, as per the link given.

If you are interested in the Challenge (Platinum status would be forthcoming after earning 10,000 EQ Points earned on AA, BA, IB, JL or QF - not CX or others than those mentioned - you should be flying BA sufficiently for this I think,) check the thread: Help Desk: AAdvantage Elite Status Challenge (Gold and Platinum)

Originally Posted by guslindahl
Dear Flyer Talkers,

Thank you!
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Hey guys,

Thanks!
You do realize, I hope, that LAX-HKG-BOM is not a valid routing for a single one-way award. You would need two awards: LAX-HKG, and HKG-BOM. But as long as you're OK with paying the extra miles needed, you should be OK.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:48 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You do realize, I hope, that LAX-HKG-BOM is not a valid routing for a single one-way award. You would need two awards: LAX-HKG, and HKG-BOM. But as long as you're OK with paying the extra miles needed, you should be OK.
Good catch. If the ticket was not set up for two awards then this is the reason the award has not been switched from On Request to Ticketed. The OP will need to contact AA and have the booking adjusted to reflect two awards.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by HNL
Good catch. If the ticket was not set up for two awards then this is the reason the award has not been switched from On Request to Ticketed. The OP will need to contact AA and have the booking adjusted to reflect two awards.
The ticket is set up for 2 awards...the CSR at AA said this is a busy time of the year and travel is for March 2014...which is why it might be taking a while.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 2:38 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong : flying BA will always earn 100% AA EQM (regardless of the fare code) ? Also got the plat bonus ?

Originally Posted by cedricgerald
Correct me if I'm wrong : flying BA will always earn 100% AA EQM (regardless of the fare code) ? Also got the plat bonus ?
Sorry for the additional post : also correct with Alaska ?

Yes

Sorry for the additional post : also correct with Alaska ?
Yes

Last edited by JY1024; Aug 17, 2013 at 1:00 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.