Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 11:58 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 7, 13, 11:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA PLT 2 MM miler, Star Gold, HH Diamond; Marriott PLT,SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Is it still true that there is a PLT for life but no EXP for life. One of my colleagues is about to hit 2 MM miles and get PLT for life (I did that about 10 years ago). I switched my mileage allegiance to BA thereafter because a) they have better lounges and flights; and b) I have hit Emerald (Gold at BA) every year for 10+ years while I would usually hit PLT and not EXP. My colleague said that if I hit 3 MM, I'd get EXP for life (which I thought didn't exist). I'm probably at 2.6+ MM miles and could hit it in a few years. But, I can't find any evidence that EXP for life exists. Am I missing it?
Old Aug 7, 13, 1:17 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Originally Posted by shawbridge View Post
Is it still true that there is a PLT for life but no EXP for life. But, I can't find any evidence that EXP for life exists. Am I missing it?
Yes, it is still true, which accounts for the fact that you can find evidence

Even if it were to exist, I daresay it would take a lot more than 3MM.

Cheers.
Old Aug 7, 13, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA, UAL
Originally Posted by Hyacinthe View Post
Hello.

Jet Airways has a "flight" from Paris Nord train station (XPG) to BRU, operated by Thalys, that connects to their flight to YYZ. Would it be possible to book XPG-BRU-YYZ on a AA award or just the BRU-YYZ part?
You can use AA miles on flights which are operated by 9W, but not by flights codeshared as 9W operated by some other non-OW carrier.

Cheers!
Old Aug 7, 13, 5:34 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, AA PLT 2 MM miler, Star Gold, HH Diamond; Marriott PLT,SPG Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Yes, it is still true, which accounts for the fact that you can find evidence

Even if it were to exist, I daresay it would take a lot more than 3MM.

Cheers.
Thanks. So, I guess I'm happy to have given my several hundred thousand or so miles to BA and don't need to switch back (I've already got 2100+ tier points on BA this year so far).
Old Aug 7, 13, 8:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by ALittleSurreal View Post
Or is there a "cheaper" better way to do this?

Thanks so much and sorry as I'm sure this is asked a million times.
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky View Post
See this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

ANY activity extends the expiration date of your miles, earning or redemption. Dining rewards, magazine subscription, donation, anything.
To tag onto the info that Apieinthesky provided, remember that it's the date of your activity that counts, not the date that it posts to your account.As long as you have a qualifying activity before the expiration date, your account will stay active.

(For instance, let's say your miles expire Sept 1. You go to a restaurant that offers dining rewards on Aug 30. It takes 1-2 weeks for your miles to post. When your miles post in Sept, the activity date will still show up as Aug 30, so your miles have now been extended 18 months from the Aug 30 activity.)
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD
I'll be responsible for taking my sisters back to the US so they can resume studying after their long vacations, the problem is: I will have to stay for only 3 weeks or less in the US, while the girls will stay there until June. How can I book different return dates through AA.com, especially when the system won't allow me to book their tickets, then mine on separate reservations?
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:50 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zennacko View Post
I'll be responsible for taking my sisters back to the US so they can resume studying after their long vacations, the problem is: I will have to stay for only 3 weeks or less in the US, while the girls will stay there until June. How can I book different return dates through AA.com, especially when the system won't allow me to book their tickets, then mine on separate reservations?
Unless all parties are traveling on the exact same itinerary the bookings must be on separate PNRs (e.g. Reservation Codes).
Old Aug 7, 13, 9:57 pm

Programs: AAdvantage GLD
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
Unless all parties are traveling on the exact same itinerary the bookings must be on separate PNRs (e.g. Reservation Codes).
That's the point: We're going to the same place: Boston.
Passing through Dallas, Miami, starting from Belo Horizonte.

There's one "young adult" and one "kid", so they NEED an adult coming along (me, their brother with all authorizations necessary), however:

They will stay in the US because they are in school there and it starts in September, while I need to come back to Brazil because I'm finishing my studies here, and AA.com won't offer me different return dates for the paxs, only the same for the 3 of us, that's a huge problem since I don't want to pay extra for re-booking them to June/14

P.S. The system won't let me do a reservation for the girls (so the return date could be easily set to June/14) and another one for me so I go along with them
Old Aug 7, 13, 10:27 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zennacko View Post
That's the point: We're going to the same place: Boston.
Passing through Dallas, Miami, starting from Belo Horizonte.

There's one "young adult" and one "kid", so they NEED an adult coming along (me, their brother with all authorizations necessary), however:

They will stay in the US because they are in school there and it starts in September, while I need to come back to Brazil because I'm finishing my studies here, and AA.com won't offer me different return dates for the paxs, only the same for the 3 of us, that's a huge problem since I don't want to pay extra for re-booking them to June/14

P.S. The system won't let me do a reservation for the girls (so the return date could be easily set to June/14) and another one for me so I go along with them
This is a scenario where you will need a live agent to book the children on their own PNR if AA.com will not allow you to book minors.
Old Aug 8, 13, 4:21 pm

Quick question related to equipment changes. I've searched about and found threads related to such occurrences but wanted to ask a newbie question (new situation for me at least).

We're on 160 SAN-JFK, then on to ZRH this month, paid biz class when the flight was listed as a 763. The flight has since been changed to a 738, with us located now in "first" class. I've flown F on the 738, and while not bad it's a sham to label it first, even if they call it domestic first, and it's certainly no substitute for even the dated biz seats on the twin aisle planes. For the cross country leg we chose 160 specifically to have the recliners offered on the 763.

Is it worth requesting a routing change or some sort of compensation from AA? I'd prefer to have our routing modified to lessen the single aisle portion as we'll be en route for 12-15hrs. I know AA is permitted to change equipment, but it does ring a bit of bait-and-switch to sell us a lie flat seat (well, mostly ) and then swap in what would barely qualify as prem economy seats on most other carriers....
Old Aug 8, 13, 5:01 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP (through 2018, anyway, then...?)
Originally Posted by sddjd View Post

We're on 160 SAN-JFK, then on to ZRH this month, paid biz class when the flight was listed as a 763. The flight has since been changed to a 738, with us located now in "first" class. I've flown F on the 738, and while not bad it's a sham to label it first, even if they call it domestic first, and it's certainly no substitute for even the dated biz seats on the twin aisle planes. For the cross country leg we chose 160 specifically to have the recliners offered on the 763.

Is it worth requesting a routing change or some sort of compensation from AA? I'd prefer to have our routing modified to lessen the single aisle portion as we'll be en route for 12-15hrs. I know AA is permitted to change equipment, but it does ring a bit of bait-and-switch to sell us a lie flat seat (well, mostly ) and then swap in what would barely qualify as prem economy seats on most other carriers....
Do not ask for compensation as you won't get it. Yes, what happened sucks, bur they will not compensate you for something they'll (rightly) claim they told you about before you made the purchase.

However, I think they would be more amenable to a schedule change, even though they don't have to.

Do your research and go in with the alternatives that you want. Paid J should carry some weight here.

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; Aug 9, 13 at 9:33 am
Old Aug 9, 13, 8:17 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp View Post
Do not ask for compensation as you won't get it. Yes, what happened sucks, bur they will not compensate you for something they'' (rightly) claim they told you about before you made the purchase.

However, I think they would be more amenable to a schedule change, even though they don't have to.

Do your research and go in with the alternatives that you want. Paid J should carry some weight here.

Cheers.
Perhaps a reoute via LAX to ride the 762? SAN-LAX-JFK-ZRH.
Old Aug 9, 13, 10:26 am

Relatively new to "travel hacking" and new to AAdvantage. I do have miles on USAir but I am assuming those will not be good on American yet.

I am going DAY-DFW in a month or so on American and was wondering if it would be worth getting the Citi AAdvantage card in order to get double miles on the purchase price as well as the ancillary benefits (free checked bag, etc).

The fine print seemed to say that I would need to have the account open for 7 days before I got the checked bag - anyone have any experience with that?

thanks
Old Aug 9, 13, 6:13 pm

Hello,

I just achieved Gold status on my trip last week. On the return flight, I went on the website and requested a "complimentary upgrade," or, what I thought was complimentary. I received the upgrade for one of my legs, then, when I got to the airport, the Kiosk asked me to pay $30 for the upgrade. I was confused, but running very late, so I bit the bullet and paid for the upgrade.

After reading AAdvantage T&Cs, I think I had to pay because I was flying on a G fare. Does this mean I wouldn't have actually had to pay if I were on most regular fares? Or, am I just totally confused?
Old Aug 9, 13, 6:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ucacm View Post
Hello,

I just achieved Gold status on my trip last week. On the return flight, I went on the website and requested a "complimentary upgrade," or, what I thought was complimentary. I received the upgrade for one of my legs, then, when I got to the airport, the Kiosk asked me to pay $30 for the upgrade. I was confused, but running very late, so I bit the bullet and paid for the upgrade.

After reading AAdvantage T&Cs, I think I had to pay because I was flying on a G fare. Does this mean I wouldn't have actually had to pay if I were on most regular fares? Or, am I just totally confused?
Congrats on your first elite upgrade!

You are correct, however, to put "complimentary" in quotes. For Gold and Platinum members, upgrade aren't really complimentary. One needs to spend a "500-mile upgrade sticker" on them. You earn 4 every 10,000 miles flown, and need to use one for every, well, 500 miles of a segment.

More info here:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...leUpgrades.jsp

Last edited by SFOPhD; Aug 9, 13 at 6:43 pm Reason: typo

Search this Thread