Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just booked a one-way ORD-SFO on AA, but haven't yet received a confirmation email, and it's been over 45 minutes. My confirmation for the return flight on UA showed up within seconds. Is AA usually this slow? I don't normally fly AA except for award tickets.

Also, do they assign a seat if you don't choose one of the premium seats or must you wait until 24 hours before the flight? I suspect I will end up in a middle seat far in the back.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:45 am

Want to go to Las Vegas. I have enough for two round trip tickets in October when purchased as Business/First MileSAAver. How safe is it to assume I will not be bumped off the plane?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 12:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I just booked a one-way ORD-SFO on AA, but haven't yet received a confirmation email, and it's been over 45 minutes. My confirmation for the return flight on UA showed up within seconds. Is AA usually this slow? I don't normally fly AA except for award tickets.

Also, do they assign a seat if you don't choose one of the premium seats or must you wait until 24 hours before the flight? I suspect I will end up in a middle seat far in the back.
AA is generally slower to ticket than UA. You should get your confirmation generally one or two hours after purchasing.

If you did not get a seat assignment you can always log into your reservation and choose a seat then. No need to wait until 24 hours before the flight. You should have been allowed to choose a non-premium seat upon booking also.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 1:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SFOPhD
AA is generally slower to ticket than UA. You should get your confirmation generally one or two hours after purchasing.

If you did not get a seat assignment you can always log into your reservation and choose a seat then. No need to wait until 24 hours before the flight. You should have been allowed to choose a non-premium seat upon booking also.
Thanks for the info. Nothing but premium seats were available at booking, so I guess it's a pretty full flight.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HH Diamond
Hi AA newbie here. I have amassed 50k points via the UK AA amex credit card.

I am looking at a one way business class flight from the west coast of the U.S. to London but most airports seem to be on a BA plane.

I am keen to fly AA and preferably try out the new business class seat I have read about.

Is there a specific airport from the West coast I should look at to London or do I need to fly to mainland Europe and then transfer?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 3:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by Geoggy

I am looking at a one way business class flight from the west coast of the U.S. to London but most airports seem to be on a BA plane.

I am keen to fly AA and preferably try out the new business class seat I have read about.

Is there a specific airport from the West coast I should look at to London or do I need to fly to mainland Europe and then transfer?
If you Google "LHR airport wiki" you'll come across the LHR Wikipedia article, which will list all airports from which AA offers nonstop service to LHR. And you can restrict your award search at aa.com to exclude partner carriers, if you wish.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 5:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by comptalk
Want to go to Las Vegas. I have enough for two round trip tickets in October when purchased as Business/First MileSAAver. How safe is it to assume I will not be bumped off the plane?
It's pretty safe. Involuntary bumps are very rare, and nearly unheard of in the premium cabins, which AA does not over-sell. About the only scenarios where you might get bumped would be a broken seat, an air marshal wanting on board, or an equipment change to a plane with a smaller cabin - really, none of these are worth worrying about.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.601 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

If you Google "LHR airport wiki" you'll come across the LHR Wikipedia article, which will list all airports from which AA offers nonstop service to LHR. And you can restrict your award search at aa.com to exclude partner carriers, if you wish.
Thanks - LAX it is then!

Would there be a good chance of getting the newer business class seats on this route
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

Originally Posted by guv1976

Thanks - LAX it is then!

Would there be a good chance of getting the newer business class seats on this route
There's no need to speculate. A quick search for award seats on aa.com will show you current availability for AA's LAX-LHR nonstop.

AA can also make additional award seats available at a later date, but that is up to AA's Revenue Management Department.

Last edited by guv1976; Aug 7, 2013 at 6:50 am
Old Aug 7, 2013, 6:49 am

Oh right so the award checker tool specifies aircraft type?
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:42 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by comptalk
You will not be bumped.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Oh right so the award checker tool specifies aircraft type?
LAX-LHR is the only route from LAX currently operated by AA's 77W with the new business class. And yes, look for 77W (not 777 or 772) when searching aa.com for awards.

Last edited by incognitoMD; Aug 7, 2013 at 8:51 am
Old Aug 7, 2013, 8:44 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA Metal operates from LAX, DFW, ORD, MIA, RDU, and JFK to LHR.
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:01 am

Thanks - LAX it is then!

If you're talking about the 77W's new business class seat, then you must fly from LHR nonstop to LAX, DFW, or JFK. You can check AA's schedule to see which of those flights are operated by the 77W and which are operated by the older 772 (listed as 777 on AA's website).
Old Aug 7, 2013, 10:35 am

Is it possible to redeem AA miles on a 9W codeshare (operated by Thalys)?

Hello.

Jet Airways has a "flight" from Paris Nord train station (XPG) to BRU, operated by Thalys, that connects to their flight to YYZ. Would it be possible to book XPG-BRU-YYZ on a AA award or just the BRU-YYZ part?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.