Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page > [2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

  Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 9, 14, 6:58 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: JY1024
Wiki Link
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost


Old Aug 1, 13, 11:01 pm
  #1831
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 174
Got a couple of more quick questions.

First Question:

I just made Gold and I have enough flights lined up for the rest of this year to make Platinum.

Am I reading it correctly that I have to make Platinum before 12/31/13?

Second Question:

Also I'm pretty sure after reading Codeshare thing a couple of times that I have this correct. But I could use a veterans confirmation.

One of my flights will be LAX-SYD and back. Since I am booking this on the AA site and it has an AA flight number it will be a qualifying flight correct?

Thanks in Advance and sorry if some of these questions seem kinda dumb.
0335th is offline  
Old Aug 1, 13, 11:21 pm
  #1832
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: DFW
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 174
I think I found one of my answers here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...on-qantas.html
0335th is offline  
Old Aug 2, 13, 12:32 am
  #1833
Marriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Programs: AS 75K, AA Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Kimpton IC, Marriott Silver
Posts: 2,026
Originally Posted by 0335th View Post
Am I reading it correctly that I have to make Platinum before 12/31/13?
Correct. The qualifying year is the calendar year.

Originally Posted by 0335th View Post
One of my flights will be LAX-SYD and back. Since I am booking this on the AA site and it has an AA flight number it will be a qualifying flight correct?
You're correct again. AA flight number = elite qualifying miles.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...tners/main.jsp

Not silly questions at all! Congrats on making Gold and enjoy the flights to Platinum!
SFOPhD is offline  
Old Aug 2, 13, 1:20 am
  #1834
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: used to be PER, now it's nowhere/eveywhere
Programs: QFF NB, AA EXP
Posts: 2,983
Originally Posted by SFOPhD View Post
You're correct again. AA flight number = elite qualifying miles.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...tners/main.jsp
To prevent any misunderstanding, especially by newbies
The above (correct) statement does NOT imply:
NOT AA flight number = NO elite qualifying miles
When it is not an AA flight number, then you need to look at the AA earning chart for the airline concerned. For example if a Qantas flight number then look at this table www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/earnMiles/travel/airlines/qantas.jsp
pandaperth is offline  
Old Aug 2, 13, 11:01 am
  #1835
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas City
Programs: AA, UA, Delta
Posts: 57
Looking at a Qatar flight...AA earning?

I am looking at flights to Africa (on the cheap), and Qatar Airways is showing one of the more affordable options. I know they are joining OneWorld, but can we earn AA miles on their flights yet?
clscholes is offline  
Old Aug 2, 13, 1:29 pm
  #1836
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,814
Originally Posted by clscholes View Post
I am looking at flights to Africa (on the cheap), and Qatar Airways is showing one of the more affordable options. I know they are joining OneWorld, but can we earn AA miles on their flights yet?
The AAdvantage partner airlines are found on aa.com and unfortunately QR is not currently a partner. All will be good once QR joins oneworld.
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 2, 13, 1:33 pm
  #1837
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kansas City
Programs: AA, UA, Delta
Posts: 57
Thanks! Wondered, but wasn't sure.
clscholes is offline  
Old Aug 2, 13, 7:28 pm
  #1838
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AAdvantage GLD
Posts: 14
I have a few questions to the veterans, hope they aren't silly because I'm really worried about some:

1. I was challenged for 6000 miles to get GLD status (easy peasy), the question is: If I fly CNF-MIA (5233 miles one way, 10466 miles round trip) Do I get my GLD card on the returning flight or is it shipped to my home?

1.1. After getting GLD status, is it applied automatically on everything I do (priority on check-in, security lanes, etc) without the need of the physical card? Or do I have to bring it just in case there's someone who may ask for it or escort me to the "common" lanes? (Or my GLD status is actually printed on my boarding pass so I don't need to worry?)

2. Can I buy the tickets for my two sisters on my account?
2.1. Is there no age minimum to enroll on AAdvantage?
2.1.1. In case I buy their tickets do they get their miles (and EQM) on their AAdvantage accounts?

Last but not least (because I didn't try this before and I wanted to be forewarned, just in case): Do I (and my sisters) have to get through additional security lanes through every single airport we go through? I was thinking of doing, maybe CNF-MIA-ORD/DFW-BOS route when going to the US just to get my GLD quickly (and if the challenge I received through my email had a "hidden PLT" milestone, of 12~14k miles beat that as well)

Sorry for the painful amount of questions but that's worrying me a lot for now, and I need to make this totally right, since I will be the one responsible for the girls during the flight
zennacko is offline  
Old Aug 2, 13, 9:59 pm
  #1839
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: ORD
Posts: 309
Originally Posted by zennacko View Post
I have a few questions to the veterans, hope they aren't silly because I'm really worried about some:

1. I was challenged for 6000 miles to get GLD status (easy peasy), the question is: If I fly CNF-MIA (5233 miles one way, 10466 miles round trip) Do I get my GLD card on the returning flight or is it shipped to my home?

1.1. After getting GLD status, is it applied automatically on everything I do (priority on check-in, security lanes, etc) without the need of the physical card? Or do I have to bring it just in case there's someone who may ask for it or escort me to the "common" lanes? (Or my GLD status is actually printed on my boarding pass so I don't need to worry?)

2. Can I buy the tickets for my two sisters on my account?
2.1. Is there no age minimum to enroll on AAdvantage?
2.1.1. In case I buy their tickets do they get their miles (and EQM) on their AAdvantage accounts?

Last but not least (because I didn't try this before and I wanted to be forewarned, just in case): Do I (and my sisters) have to get through additional security lanes through every single airport we go through? I was thinking of doing, maybe CNF-MIA-ORD/DFW-BOS route when going to the US just to get my GLD quickly (and if the challenge I received through my email had a "hidden PLT" milestone, of 12~14k miles beat that as well)

Sorry for the painful amount of questions but that's worrying me a lot for now, and I need to make this totally right, since I will be the one responsible for the girls during the flight
1. shipped home after a couple of weeks..

1.1. it will be on everything. however, if you already booked and have been issued ticket numbers for upcoming trips before you were gold, you may want to call and have your status refreshed so it is shown in those trips. if you book any future trips, your status will be reflected.

2. sure, but gold benefits (luggage/priorityAAccess checkin/expedited security) will not apply to them unless you are traveling with them. no minimum age req for aadvantage, and they will get miles and EQM if they are flying on a non-award (redemption) ticket

3. security checks- in general, arriving from an international flight will require you to go through security before your domestic flight. in general, there won't be a security check to transfer between domestic-domestic flight, though there may be a couple of exceptions to this

happy travels!
incognitoMD is offline  
Old Aug 3, 13, 3:26 pm
  #1840
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: BOS
Programs: AAdvantage GLD
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by incognitoMD View Post
1. shipped home after a couple of weeks..

1.1. it will be on everything. however, if you already booked and have been issued ticket numbers for upcoming trips before you were gold, you may want to call and have your status refreshed so it is shown in those trips. if you book any future trips, your status will be reflected.

2. sure, but gold benefits (luggage/priorityAAccess checkin/expedited security) will not apply to them unless you are traveling with them. no minimum age req for aadvantage, and they will get miles and EQM if they are flying on a non-award (redemption) ticket

3. security checks- in general, arriving from an international flight will require you to go through security before your domestic flight. in general, there won't be a security check to transfer between domestic-domestic flight, though there may be a couple of exceptions to this

happy travels!
Thanks a lot, that relieved me, now I'm gonna check if the route CNF-MIA-ORD/DFW-BOS is really doable (because we need to eat and there will be little to no time betweeen flights for that lol) then I'll literally go for the gold
zennacko is offline  
Old Aug 4, 13, 4:13 pm
  #1841
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22
New to AA forum

I have a couple of questions using saver miles out of a PLT account.

Flying from DFW-HKG-SGN looking at F. The DFW-LAX segment can be done in Y not F. The LAX-HKG in F on CX is available then C onto SGN.

Questions:
1) can I book the ticket (in Y) with no F available from DFW-LAX and standby for F space to open up on this flight OR another flight that will make my connection to HKG without burning additional miles?
2) I can change the dates after ticketing (without changing the origin and/or destination) without paying an additional fee. Right?
3) Am I forgetting something?

Thanks....
SWFA is offline  
Old Aug 4, 13, 4:48 pm
  #1842
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,814
Originally Posted by SWFA View Post
I have a couple of questions using saver miles out of a PLT account.

Flying from DFW-HKG-SGN looking at F. The DFW-LAX segment can be done in Y not F. The LAX-HKG in F on CX is available then C onto SGN.

Questions:
1) can I book the ticket (in Y) with no F available from DFW-LAX and standby for F space to open up on this flight OR another flight that will make my connection to HKG without burning additional miles?
2) I can change the dates after ticketing (without changing the origin and/or destination) without paying an additional fee. Right?
3) Am I forgetting something?

Thanks....
When you redeem for the first class award, you can take a voluntary downgrade to economy. If award space opens on that flight, or other flights you can call and get reticketed at no cost.

AA awards also allow free date changes provided the type of award is not changed.
HNL is offline  
Old Aug 4, 13, 4:49 pm
  #1843
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,334
Originally Posted by SWFA View Post
I have a couple of questions using saver miles out of a PLT account.

Flying from DFW-HKG-SGN looking at F. The DFW-LAX segment can be done in Y not F. The LAX-HKG in F on CX is available then C onto SGN.

Questions:
1) can I book the ticket (in Y) with no F available from DFW-LAX and standby for F space to open up on this flight OR another flight that will make my connection to HKG without burning additional miles?
2) I can change the dates after ticketing (without changing the origin and/or destination) without paying an additional fee. Right?
3) Am I forgetting something?

Thanks....
Yes. If there is F availability on the long haul segment, I would confirm it now. If there is Y sAAver availability, you can take a voluntary downgrade. Then, if F availability opens up later (or on a different DFW-LAX flight), you may upgrade or switch for no fee. Changing the dates or routing without changing O/D will incur no fee.

If you are still in Y on that domestic segment on the day of the flight, you should be above Y>F upgraders on the airport list.
Apieinthesky is offline  
Old Aug 4, 13, 4:51 pm
  #1844
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 22
Originally Posted by HNL View Post
When you redeem for the first class award, you can take a voluntary downgrade to economy. If award space opens on that flight, or other flights you can call and get reticketed at no cost.

AA awards also allow free date changes provided the type of award is not changed.
Thanks! So, can I wait list for the space in F or do I need to track it through EF or KVS?
SWFA is offline  
Old Aug 4, 13, 5:19 pm
  #1845
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 10,814
Originally Posted by SWFA View Post
Thanks! So, can I wait list for the space in F or do I need to track it through EF or KVS?
There is no waitlisting so you will need to check periodically. AA.com displays AAdvantage awards for free. ExpertFlyer does as well and comes with the benefit of setting up notifications when inventory has been found.
HNL is offline  


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 8:06 pm.

Home - News - Forum - Hotel Reviews - Glossary - Contact Us - Airport Code Lookup - Terms of Use - Privacy Policy - Cookie Policy - Advertise on FlyerTalk - Archive - Top

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by Flyertalk.com. Copyright 2017 FlyerTalk.com. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.