Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 13, 2013, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST

This is the archived, obsolete thread; the current 2014 NEWBIE LOUNGE thread is now a "sticky" thread here .

/American AAdvantage Forum Moderation Team
Print Wikipost

[2013 NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your AA-Related Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:57 am

Programs: UA LTP, AA LTG, DL Plat, Marriott LTT, HH Diamond
How do 5-day reward res hold on AA.com?

AA phone reservations told me I could hold a reward res for 5 days online (if status matters, I am lowly gold).

I went through a dummy reservation process twice (my tickets won't come up for a few more days, so this is practice) and got all the way through to the ccard entry screen without finding any hold option, and I thought I looked pretty hard.

Did I just miss it twice, or is there not in fact a hold option?

If I missed it, where is it?

Many thanks,

FTF
Old Jul 26, 2013, 6:52 am

I'm new to booking award travel and could use a little help. My fiancé and I are looking to book our honeymoon to Europe using AAdvantage miles in business/first departing over Memorial Day weekend 2014 and returning by June 8. We would be flying from CVG and don't really care what airport we fly in to (as few connections as possible) as we will purchase tickets from there to Athens. So far we have had no luck finding two separate awards available on the same flights in business/first (we have separate mileage accounts to use). Could someone give us a few tips? If not, I suppose we can settle for coach
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:35 am

Programs: AA Plat, QF Silver
Originally Posted by relangford
To savitar: it took a few days for my EXP status on AA to be reflected on BA flights. I had to speak with a nice lady in England who refreshed my account, and I was able to select seats. Since you are in the US, you might try called BA to refresh your account (what I think they did was remove my AA FF number and then re-inserted it).
Hi relangford. Thanks for the update.

Firstly I called up BA and spoke to a guy there. He said that my AA FF number has no status at all on One World (or what ever the lowest was), not even Ruby which I started with as I was doing the AA Platinum challenge.

So I then spent a LOT of time on the phone with AA (about 40 minutes). It was a bit of a disappointing call till I spoke to the last person. I was transferred 6 times!! Finally the last person I spoke to managed to call up BA directly and work through with them. It appears they now see my Ruby status but forced through seat selection for me, which was great. However this does not help me with lounge access for these flights. As I have only just made Platinum (OW Sapphire) I should be able to get lounge access but if BA don't see it, then they will not honour it AND i won't get my Platinum card for a few weeks yet.

Anyone with any experience on this? Is there a way that the BA lounge will accept I am a Platinum (Sapphire) OW status without it on their booking and without a card? Can I show them my AA app on my iphone with the virtual card on it perhaps???
Old Jul 26, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer

Did I just miss it twice, or is there not in fact a hold option?
I have found the hold option on the payment screen.

Old Jul 26, 2013, 5:33 pm

Will this Cathay Pacific Premium Economy flight earn me:

27k EQP and 18k EQM? I need to make sure before I book it for my EXPLAT challenge. How would I go about getting the EQP and EQM credited to American Airlines?

Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:17 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You will earn 1.5 EQ points per Base / EQ mile flown on CX in PE. You would enter your AA FFN into the booking, either upon booking or somewhere down the line.

Originally Posted by standingoten

27k EQP and 18k EQM? I need to make sure before I book it for my EXPLAT challenge. How would I go about getting the EQP and EQM credited to American Airlines?

Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
You will earn 1.5 EQ points per Base / EQ mile flown on CX in PE. You would enter your AA FFN into the booking, either upon booking or somewhere down the line.
Thanks! And do you think I will get some grief from Manila immigration if I do this? Would they question me a lot of I just arrived and then go back through security to catch my flight home?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 7:58 pm

For starters, you should check this thread out: AA and Partner Airline Award info, rules (NOT for oneworld Explorer Awards) . This may help you in finding seats to Athens (for example CVG-ORD-LHR-ATH using AA and BA, or other possible combinations such as using AA to Germany and using airberlin on to ATH - check possibilities using oneworld flights with the oneworld interactive route map and schedule here.)

On AA, you can use your miles for MileSAAver awards, and you must find MileSAAver award seats for partner airlines. Some of these may be found on aa.com, but not all airlines you can redeem miles on are bookable using aa.com and must be called in. (There are tools mentioned in that thread you can use to find seats not viewable on aa.com, ranging from ExpertFlyer and KVS, Award Nexus (the former require fees, the latter is free for FlyerTalk members), to signing up with other oneworld airlines such as BAEC and using their award searches to find seats.

On AA alone, you can select AAnytime awards - these cost twice as much miles as MileSAAver awards, but anytime AA has a seat available for sale, it will part with a seat for AAnytime miles - these do not apply to partner airlines.

Also check aa.com here and see the all partner mile redemption chart here.

Originally Posted by iFLY_00
I'm new to booking award travel and could use a little help. My fiancé and I are looking to book our honeymoon to Europe using AAdvantage miles in business/first departing over Memorial Day weekend 2014 and returning by June 8. We would be flying from CVG and don't really care what airport we fly in to (as few connections as possible) as we will purchase tickets from there to Athens. So far we have had no luck finding two separate awards available on the same flights in business/first (we have separate mileage accounts to use). Could someone give us a few tips? If not, I suppose we can settle for coach
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:03 pm

I don't know what's wrong with Cathay Pacific's site but I tried to book this exact itinerary on their site but I can't choose both the trip and return at the same time.

I can only choose one or the other. Is there something wrong?
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:05 pm

Mabuhay! It's possible - but since there's no harm or breaking of the law, you will most likely go through transit formalities, pay your 550 Peso departure fee and depart - leave sufficient time to do this, as IMO Ninoy Aquino Airport is not the least bureaucratic nor most passenger friendly airport I have ever been to, and I've seen security queues that are long and not handled the way one might expect in the US. Mag-ingat ka (take care).

Thanks! And do you think I will get some grief from Manila immigration if I do this? Would they question me a lot of I just arrived and then go back through security to catch my flight home?
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
First Post...

This Friday I will take my AA Gold Status Qualifying flight from ONT to DFW.

I think I have found most all the answer I need but one.

When booking first class I see that you get 50% bonus qualifying points.
After Gold Status is made they will give a 25% bonus.

If I book a first class ticket will I get the 25% and the 50% both equaling a 75% bonus?

Just trying to calculate out what I need to do to hit Platinum by 12/31/13.

Thanks in advance for answers.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by 0335th
First Post...

If I book a first class ticket will I get the 25% and the 50% both equaling a 75% bonus?

The bonuses add, but don't multiply.

For a 1000 mile flight in paid first class, as a GLD, you'll earn:
  • 1750 redeemable miles (1000 + 500 + 250)
  • 1500 elite qualifying points (1000 + 500; no EQP for the GLD bonus)
  • 1000 elite qualifying miles (neither the GLD bonus nor the class of service bonus count here)

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
deleted (swag beat me to it)
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Thank You for the clarification. ^

Originally Posted by swag
The bonuses add, but don't multiply.

For a 1000 mile flight in paid first class, as a GLD, you'll earn:
  • 1750 redeemable miles (1000 + 500 + 250)
  • 1500 elite qualifying points (1000 + 500; no EQP for the GLD bonus)
  • 1000 elite qualifying miles (neither the GLD bonus nor the class of service bonus count here)

http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/american.jsp
Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by 0335th
First Post...

Keep in mind that being GLD does not change the fact that you need 50K EQP/EQM to make PLT. (So if you got 10K EQP/EQM after your challenge, you still need 40K more for PLT, not 25K)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.